Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Port Shopping Guides Marissa and Johan

Since the Tanzanite thread inspired me to write this up, I thought it was deserving of its own thread to see if there were any other fans out there:

My wife and I are fascinated by Marissa and Johan. They were the Port Shopping Guides on our Wonder Alaska Cruise in May, and again on our Eastern Caribbean Cruise last month (we seriously couldn't contain our excitement when we found out they were on our ship again).

They seem to be paid by the companies they're pushing, although this was not front and center acknowledged. We definitely weren't interested in buying anything--that's not why we go on vacation, and we're definitely not the target market. However, we were highly entertained watching them around the ship and on the shopping channel in our room.

They do a variant of the same spiel each time, with the same canned bits, stories, and anecdotal advice about shopping in ports and what jewelry and watches to buy.

This bit was definitely our favorite--so much so that I had to record it off the TV on my phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCdHKa-OGk&t=1m30s

I guess this sales approach must work on some people, but personally, we found it entertaining like watching good characters on SNL, Mr. Show, or Kids in the Hall.

Has anyone else had them on their cruise and been as entertained as we have? How do the other Port Shopping Guides compare?
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Human psychology is a fascinating topic whether you admit it or not. Viewing topics/videos such as this, truly makes me wonder how we survived the ice age.

I cringe when I truly think about how many pax fall for this flavored cool-aid.
Are folks that out of touch once they board the vessel?
lol

Thanks for the laugh this am.

ETA; IMHO

Last edited by Bear3412; 12-15-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Marissa was fond of saying "you're going to want to write this down" before giving a lot of her tips.

According to my wife, during the first Port Shopping presentation, a lot of people actually did write down what she was saying.

Who goes on a cruise to buy fine jewelry or watches?
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
remlap
Mouseketeer

someone does or there wouldn't be a Diamonds International in every cruise ship port in the world. I agree with the OP, I find their routine comical.

2008 4 Night Wonder to Bahamas & Castaway Cay
2010 2 Night Wonder Los Angeles Cruise to Nowhere
2012 7 Night Wonder Alaskan Adventure
2014 2 Night Wonder San Diego Cruise to Nowhere
2015 4 Night Dream to Bahamas & Castaway Cay
2015 2 Night Wonder San Diego Cruise to Nowhere
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
Marissa was fond of saying "you're going to want to write this down" before giving a lot of her tips.

According to my wife, during the first Port Shopping presentation, a lot of people actually did write down what she was saying.

Not us, but I do know quite a few people that love to go on cruise to purchase jewelry, watches and liquor.

I did one of the presentation on a RC cruise a few years ago and thought it was the biggest waste of time - never again.

I purchased a great straw beach bag in Nassau at the Straw Market. I didn't want to pay more then $20.00 - the bag I purchased started at $45.00 and I got it for $20.00. That and a CC tshirt on CC were my "big" purchases.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post

We have

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing the biggest draw is that prices are lower due to no US import duty taxes, plus you don't pay state or local sales taxes on the items. I know you can get a great deal on expensive perfumes if you can get them duty free. You really have to know how much you'd pay for the item locally, and have a reasonable assurance that the item being sold to you is not counterfeit.

My mother used to love buying jewelry when she went on cruises. She bought the pieces because she liked them and felt she got a good price. She wasn't concerned about investment value, only about how it might go with an outfit.

If you see an item you love, and if it makes someone happy and you can afford it, go for it!

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

I've had Marissa and Johan on my Fantasy cruise last December and then again in Alaska this past June.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: