DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #3061
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

Hey all you great Lodge Groupies!

I've fallen' into a job site in Youngstown, Ohio and can't get out!

It has been a while since I posted or commented on any of your Anniversaries, Birthdays, or adventures in The World. I just have been consumed with the present jobsite I am on. I do "lurk" as Muuska might say, but just haven't really had the luxery of reading all of the posts. DiznyDi does keep me up on what is going on in the thread; she is such a wonderful Groupie! She tells me we are making a break for Aulani in February; it can't come fast enough. It wont be The Lodge, but it will be an adventure!

Good luck to all in the coming days.

Hopefully I'll be able to jump on again sometime in the spring.

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #3062
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks, Sleepydog!

Since we want to do two days in the MK, and have days off in between, we had to skip one park. I think that will be AK, this time. So no EE or Dinosaur decisions! Yay!

I ordered the 2013 version of the Disney Vacation Planning DVD. It will be fun, if it's any different from the 2011 one.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #3063
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
#2: EE - tough call between this and ToT, but it gets the nod due to the backward plummet. I don't find it particularly scary in any respect, but the Yeti near the end (even if you can't see it, there is virtual darkness for a couple of seconds and the loud roar of the Yeti which you can't miss) might upset those who felt A Bug's Life was too scary.
We liked EE, but I was very disappointed when I didn't get to the see the Yeti and I feel like a didn't really experience the ride because I was looking for Yeti!! haha. I will try to make up for that in 34 days!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #3064
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
We liked EE, but I was very disappointed when I didn't get to the see the Yeti and I feel like a didn't really experience the ride because I was looking for Yeti!! haha. I will try to make up for that in 34 days!
You have to be looking in the right spot as you enter that final cavern. As you approach it, look up and to your right, about the 2 o'clock position and hold it--you should see it briefly as you fly by. There is a strobe light going, so you'll only get a glmpse, but he is most assuredly there. Once you know where to find him, you'll have no problems seeing him any time you ride EE.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #3065
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
You have to be looking in the right spot as you enter that final cavern. As you approach it, look up and to your right, about the 2 o'clock position and hold it--you should see it briefly as you fly by. There is a strobe light going, so you'll only get a glmpse, but he is most assuredly there. Once you know where to find him, you'll have no problems seeing him any time you ride EE.
Awesome!! Thanks!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #3066
rfassett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25
I'm an avid coaster fan, having ridden coasters around the U.S. and other attractions such as the 162-ft drop via bungee cord at Carowinds. Here's how I rate the rides at WDW:
#1: RnRC - fastest, most thrilling of all the coasters. 0-60 in under 4 seconds then it goes right into two separate 360-degree loops. My fave.
#2: EE - tough call between this and ToT, but it gets the nod due to the backward plummet. I don't find it particularly scary in any respect, but the Yeti near the end (even if you can't see it, there is virtual darkness for a couple of seconds and the loud roar of the Yeti which you can't miss) might upset those who felt A Bug's Life was too scary.
#3: ToT - love the unknown aspect since each ride is a little different. The queue might be unsettling to little kids, and the Twilight Zone music in the near dark on the trip down to the chute still makes me tingle (I watched TZ as a kid), but the ride itself is a hoot and since nothing jumps out at you makes it less threatening.
#4: Test Track - though a very non-scary ride and mostly a benevolent one, I love the acceleration around the track after you get outside. Nothing like doing 60 mph with the wind blowing through your hair!
#5: All the rest: None of the others stand out much to me as being terribly scary or particularly thrilling. Space Mtn is far bumpier to me than TMR, and the seating on the former hurts my back. Splash Mtn is pretty cool, only the seats and cushions have a very sour, sweaty smell to them from years of dampness. I tend to avoid that ride anymore. Smaller kids would enjoy the new Ariel ride in New Fantasyland. Star Tours is a real hoot with the new 3D addition and not scary at all, just bumpy. Finally, in one cautionary tale, I wouldn't recommend the Dinosaur ride in AK as the animatronic dinos in that one tend to scare people as a couple of them come right at you. My 12-yr old daughter had the bejeebers scared out of her a few years back and still won't go on it!
Nice analysis. My problem with EE is that backward plummet. As much as I love roller coasting, I have a real issue with going backward.

As an avid coaster fan have you done the dragster at Cedar Point? I have seen people on that ride trying to scream and not able to get it out until the ride is slowing down at the end. Cool ride!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #3067
sechem32
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25
When I see him, I always sing "Disco Yeti". and do a little dance in my seat as we fly by!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #3068
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

So -- if you read my question about what to do for fireworks and anniversary, it sounds like going to MK in the morning for EMH would be the thing to do -- but then hop to Epcot for Illuminations to avoid the very heavy crowds at MK?

The question then is -- should I try to get a reservation somewhere? I've heard the view from Rose and Crown is nice.

That would be a very anniversary-ish thing to do.

I could spend the extra money on park hopper tickets to make that happen.

OR -- I could be extra super totally crazy and see if I could get an Illuminations cruise. They might be all booked up now. Have any of you done that?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #3069
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post
Nice analysis. My problem with EE is that backward plummet. As much as I love roller coasting, I have a real issue with going backward.

As an avid coaster fan have you done the dragster at Cedar Point? I have seen people on that ride trying to scream and not able to get it out until the ride is slowing down at the end. Cool ride!
Thats the only thing about riding EE that I dont do well either. I love the ride, the theming, everything, but that backward twist gets my head swimmy.

Last time I rode, wfc4life and me rode it 4 times straight, literally walked on while the parade was happening. I adjusted in my seat, moving forward slightly. But I think I pulled a muscle in my back, which stayed with me for several weeks, so I will not do that next time.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #3070
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechem32 View Post
When I see him, I always sing "Disco Yeti". and do a little dance in my seat as we fly by!
Liz, I try to high five him but never able to quite reach him
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #3071
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post

Thanks! No, I must admit that I've never been able to get to the Cedar Point or The Dells areas to try out their coasters. It's on my list of things to do in the next few years.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #3072
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsmom View Post
So -- if you read my question about what to do for fireworks and anniversary, it sounds like going to MK in the morning for EMH would be the thing to do -- but then hop to Epcot for Illuminations to avoid the very heavy crowds at MK?

The question then is -- should I try to get a reservation somewhere? I've heard the view from Rose and Crown is nice.

That would be a very anniversary-ish thing to do.

I could spend the extra money on park hopper tickets to make that happen.

OR -- I could be extra super totally crazy and see if I could get an Illuminations cruise. They might be all booked up now. Have any of you done that?
Sounds like a good idea to me, of course I will never refuse a meal

We have done the Illuminations cruise 2 times and it is very cool. It taught us a great vantage spot to watch Illuminations from. You dont have to be in in Epcot to make this happen, as you catch the boat from BW(at least this was the case for us). They pull you under the bridge at the International Gateway with a great view, literally, you can feel the heat from the fire on the boats. I would say this is a great way to spend an anniversary!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #3073
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
Thats the only thing about riding EE that I dont do well either. I love the ride, the theming, everything, but that backward twist gets my head swimmy.

Last time I rode, wfc4life and me rode it 4 times straight, literally walked on while the parade was happening. I adjusted in my seat, moving forward slightly. But I think I pulled a muscle in my back, which stayed with me for several weeks, so I will not do that next time.
Luvvwl and I have ridden EE five times straight twice--once this past November and then at night last April right before AK closed (our infamous all four parks in one day visit). We love to do that!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #3074
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizny Dad View Post
Hey all you great Lodge Groupies!

I've fallen' into a job site in Youngstown, Ohio and can't get out!

It has been a while since I posted or commented on any of your Anniversaries, Birthdays, or adventures in The World. I just have been consumed with the present jobsite I am on. I do "lurk" as Muuska might say, but just haven't really had the luxery of reading all of the posts. DiznyDi does keep me up on what is going on in the thread; she is such a wonderful Groupie! She tells me we are making a break for Aulani in February; it can't come fast enough. It wont be The Lodge, but it will be an adventure!

Good luck to all in the coming days.

Hopefully I'll be able to jump on again sometime in the spring.
Hello Dad So good to see you. Happy New Year to you!

I hope that the sadness of the loss of your Dad has been replaced with wonderful memories of him.

Quote:
I'm an avid coaster fan, having ridden coasters around the U.S. and other attractions such as the 162-ft drop via bungee cord at Carowinds. Here's how I rate the rides at WDW:
#1: RnRC - fastest, most thrilling of all the coasters. 0-60 in under 4 seconds then it goes right into two separate 360-degree loops. My fave.
#3: ToT - love the unknown aspect since each ride is a little different. The queue might be unsettling to little kids, and the Twilight Zone music in the near dark on the trip down to the chute still makes me tingle (I watched TZ as a kid), but the ride itself is a hoot and since nothing jumps out at you makes it less threatening.
#4: Test Track - though a very non-scary ride and mostly a benevolent one, I love the acceleration around the track after you get outside. Nothing like doing 60 mph with the wind blowing through your hair!
#5: All the rest: None of the others stand out much to me as being terribly scary or particularly thrilling. Space Mtn is far bumpier to me than TMR, and the seating on the former hurts my back. Splash Mtn is pretty cool, only the seats and cushions have a very sour, sweaty smell to them from years of dampness. I tend to avoid that ride anymore. Smaller kids would enjoy the new Ariel ride in New Fantasyland. Star Tours is a real hoot with the new 3D addition and not scary at all, just bumpy. Finally, in one cautionary tale, I wouldn't recommend the Dinosaur ride in AK as the animatronic dinos in that one tend to scare people as a couple of them come right at you. My 12-yr old daughter had the bejeebers scared out of her a few years back and still won't go on it!
Sleepy, I agree 100% with your ratings! Even the 'all of the rest' assessment!

Give me smooth, tall, fast and comfy secure seats and I am a happy camper.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #3075
wfc4life
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechem32

Yes you do. I'm so thankful you are a good singer <loll>.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: