DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #2281
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan View Post
I have tried to get her to go for walks. I try to go every day and usually do about 5 miles. It does so much good. We even have a nice trail behind our house. I talked to my brother and he said they pay $52 a month per person for their Y membership. Unfortunately that is a bit steep for us at this time. I have been doing some research but haven't found anything yet. Oh and by the way I was thinking of doing the class with her but I don't know if I'll be able to! I think I'd have to see a chiropractor afterward!
See if your town Park & Rec runs any classes. Those are usually much more affordable than joining a gym, and sometimes they use the same facilities.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #2282
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan View Post
Need some advice. I was thinking of getting my daughter into yoga to hopefully help out with her stress and migraines. This is something I am not at all familiar with. I can't really afford anything that is too much but I really want to do what I can to help her. Any advice?
DIL, do you have a planet fitness near you. It's a no contract gym and it's only 10 bucks a month. I really enjoy the one near me. The equipment is well kept and seems to be the latest stuff. Downside is that the personal trainers cost extra... so it's really a exercise on your own type of deal.
But they have tons of recumbent bikes, ellipiticals, treadmills, stair climbers etc. So for me, its a life saver for stress relief.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #2283
rfassett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan
I have tried to get her to go for walks. I try to go every day and usually do about 5 miles. It does so much good. We even have a nice trail behind our house. I talked to my brother and he said they pay $52 a month per person for their Y membership. Unfortunately that is a bit steep for us at this time. I have been doing some research but haven't found anything yet. Oh and by the way I was thinking of doing the class with her but I don't know if I'll be able to! I think I'd have to see a chiropractor afterward!
DLI - maybe you said and I missed it, but how old is your daughter? A couple of things come to mind. Five miles may be a much too large of a bite for her. Think baby steps and build. Walking is a very good think but like with any exercise, it is better to start slower and build. Also, check with churches and/or community colleges and the like - they often have low cost programs at different times.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #2284
rfassett
Mouseketeer

So our DS is heading back to WDW on Monday. After we got back last week he got online and applied for a job at Disney. They invited him in for an interview. I tried to get him into the Lodge but there was no room at the inn. I was able to get him a studio at SSR. We have never stayed there. He will be there Monday through Wednesday. Anything he should be on the lookout for? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #2285
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Nothing comes to mind for him to look out for, but best wishes for securing a job at Disney! What kind of job is he applying for?

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #2286
rfassett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka
Nothing comes to mind for him to look out for, but best wishes for securing a job at Disney! What kind of job is he applying for?
Thanks! He is applying for a front line entry level position. His passion is entertaining. He graduated from the musical theatre department of a performing arts high school before heading off to NYC to study acting for two years. Truly he loves acting and during our recent trip to WDW I did not miss an opportunity to point out to him that every cast member there is an entertainer. Ideally he would prefer stage work, but first things first. His opportunities to do what he loves is extremely limited in Podunk, USA where we live. So just getting into that arena will help his mental state of mind tremendously. Pays not great, but it is honest work and he can have a lot of fun. Cost of living is higher than Podunk, but not nearly as high as NYC. So we have our fingers crossed.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #2287
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

So we too will have our fingers crossed.

Let us hear how he does!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #2288
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post
Thanks! He is applying for a front line entry level position. His passion is entertaining. He graduated from the musical theatre department of a performing arts high school before heading off to NYC to study acting for two years. Truly he loves acting and during our recent trip to WDW I did not miss an opportunity to point out to him that every cast member there is an entertainer. Ideally he would prefer stage work, but first things first. His opportunities to do what he loves is extremely limited in Podunk, USA where we live. So just getting into that arena will help his mental state of mind tremendously. Pays not great, but it is honest work and he can have a lot of fun. Cost of living is higher than Podunk, but not nearly as high as NYC. So we have our fingers crossed.
Wishing your son a great set of interviews and audition!

You're right, the pay is not great at entry level, but just being able to put "Disney" on the resume is worth gold. Plus, for someone who truly loves creating the show & magic for the guests, there is no better company to learn from.

Last edited by twinklebug; 11-10-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #2289
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post
So our DS is heading back to WDW on Monday. After we got back last week he got online and applied for a job at Disney. They invited him in for an interview. I tried to get him into the Lodge but there was no room at the inn. I was able to get him a studio at SSR. We have never stayed there. He will be there Monday through Wednesday. Anything he should be on the lookout for? Thanks!
OMG...this is fantastic !!! All the best to him !!!! Keep us posted

Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #2290
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Just stopping by to thank all our current and retired members of the Armed Forces for their service to our nation. And a thanks to their families who provide so much support for them, and therefore for us.

(yep, I'm a guy)

Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2291
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
Just stopping by to thank all our current and retired members of the Armed Forces for their service to our nation. And a thanks to their families who provide so much support for them, and therefore for us.

I second Granny's sentiments. Thank you to our Vets !

Oh & off topic---tommorrow is 30 days till I'm in WDW !!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2292
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

Me too!! Thank you to all of our vets!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #2293
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

A debt of gratitude to our veterans and their families for allowing us to still live in a free nation
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2294
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaSRN62 View Post

Oh & off topic---tommorrow is 30 days till I'm in WDW !!!!

Maria...that is right ON TOPIC!!

Looking forward to reports of WDW, Groupie meets and of course, more pix of our beloved WL!

(yep, I'm a guy)

Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2295
rfassett
Mouseketeer

I echo the comments about our veterans and their families.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: