DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #2236
rfassett
Mouseketeer

I did one of my least favorite chores yesterday. Rebecca and I stored our porch rockers for the winter. It will be late April before they get back on the porch so I guess I will just have to come here more often and sit a spell in one of our rockers here.

Oh, and that reminds me. I did not keep exact track, but I think Rebecca and I sat in probably 85% of the rockers at the lodge when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Great Times!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #2237
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post
Not a 77 Trans Am, but the 32 year old car I referenced in an earlier post is an '81 Camaro I bought new off the show room floor in Waco, Texas. Twenty years ago I thought about selling it, but just could not make myself do it. Now it is part of the family and getting rid of it is not an option. It has the t-roof and the still operable 8-track tape player and loves the open highway.

Never had a Datsun.

Not sure about that redneck/hillbilly comment, but I guess we will go with compliment.
I have a 83 Monte Carlo, silver with T tops. I bought it with 7k miles. It was a GM exec. car(thats what they told me). We drove it up til 98 when the transmission started slipping and we couldnt afford to replace it at the time. So years passed and I kept telling myself we would fix, never happened. Bottom line, DS wants to fix up but we are neither mech. inclined enough to take on. Engine, trans are def. needs to fix, other things are what really concerns me, at what point will the $$ stop flowing into it. He has enough to really fix it up right, just want him to be careful not to overkill it.

But it would be sweet to see the Silver Bullet burning up the hwy. again
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #2238
rfassett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy

I have a 83 Monte Carlo, silver with T tops. I bought it with 7k miles. It was a GM exec. car(thats what they told me). We drove it up til 98 when the transmission started slipping and we couldnt afford to replace it at the time. So years passed and I kept telling myself we would fix, never happened. Bottom line, DS wants to fix up but we are neither mech. inclined enough to take on. Engine, trans are def. needs to fix, other things are what really concerns me, at what point will the $$ stop flowing into it. He has enough to really fix it up right, just want him to be careful not to overkill it.

Nice!!! I had a client do an exterior restore on the Camaro 12 years ago and brought it back to near show room condition. We have driven it just in the summer since - and it is definitely a head turner. I sold, this past spring, a '61 Comet that I had about ten years. Now there was a car. They don't make them like that anymore. Straight six, 180 horse, three on the tree, vacuum wipers and radio - oh my! Someone could crawl inside the hood compartment and work on the engine and still have lots of room left over.

Anyway, I hope your DS can get that Silver Bullet on the road. I love those vintage cars. I will be interested to hear the progress and maybe see a picture down the road. Or better yet, you drive that and I will drive my Camaro to a future meet at the Lodge.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #2239
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Ahhhhh. Datsun 240Z. Sweet car. I worked for a doc who had a 260Z and he let me drive it about once a week.
But it was an automatic!!! What in the world was that man thinking??
Oh car talk! I'm a gal who loves cars and buys for performance and handling, not looks. I grew up with my dad and brother always using up their free time working on the cars.

Did you hear the 240z is making a comeback for Nissan's 80th in 2014? It's been confirmed by Leno's garage. I fell in love with a dark red 280zx my neighbor had when I was a kid.

Kathy - My parents have always owned GMs. I myself had 2 GM cars, but they're just not me. I've also had three Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep vehicles, let's not go there.

My latest car I decided to try a Nissan, Toyota or Honda given the good reputations they hold. After 5 test drives and multiple negotiations I went with the Toyota Camry for highway handling and the best no-BS dealership experience I've ever had. So far, I love this car. It's been almost 4 years and 30K so not much of a test mileage wise. The only problem I have had was the water pump that just went on me just last month (covered under warrantee, probably due to my running the AC a lot) It drives fantastic, gas mileage is only 22mpg, but then again, I got the V6 engine.

My reasons for not going with the Nissan Altima: It's a cool design with lots of toys for less than the Camry, but I decided for my price point I wanted the Hybrid Altima and it just didn't have the pickup I needed. Also, I have a large number of neighbors with the Altima and 2 of those folk have the same story of the rear bumper crumpling up with weather. Hmmm.

The Honda Accord didn't have a chance with me as I had a poor sales person. When I test drove the Accord there was a strange shaking coming from the engine when climbing a moderately sized hill. The salesperson said I was imagining it and then he backtracked and said the noise and vibration was normal after he couldn't deny it was there. I think it was just that car, but he wouldn't let me test drive any others insisting instead that I negotiate on the one I didn't like. I had to walk away.

Last edited by twinklebug; 11-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #2240
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfassett View Post
I did one of my least favorite chores yesterday. Rebecca and I stored our porch rockers for the winter. It will be late April before they get back on the porch so I guess I will just have to come here more often and sit a spell in one of our rockers here.

Oh, and that reminds me. I did not keep exact track, but I think Rebecca and I sat in probably 85% of the rockers at the lodge when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Great Times!!!
DiznyDi & I also put our porch rockers away this past weekend. So sad. We love to sit and share our day in our rockers. And just like you, we will not put them back where they belong until the long winter months are behind us, probably late April as mentioned.

But, in ~30 days, we will be rockin' at the Lodge!

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #2241
Happydinks
Just Bob and Leslie (Okay, Buddy and Gracie too!)

We're back ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
I want a Corgi so bad I can taste it!! Those pups are so cute!
This is a little late - but if you ever seriously want one - they frequently come through our rescue! Of course, they are not puppies, BUT, I highly recommend the "mature" adult dogs - then what you see is what you get!

We just returned on Sunday from our amazing 16 days in Florida. We got chased in by Sandy on the last day of our cruise - a little rocky that last night. No rain in Orlando to speak of the entire time, just lots of wind (they cancelled Illuminations on Friday night) - but a little cold for a few days.

This may have already been posted (it's been so long and I haven't read every page I missed), but for those who don't already know it (i.e. those new to the thread) there is a Publiks supermarket just about 4 miles from the Lodge out the back end of Disney past the Contemporary! We were so excited to find this out this trip - they make the best sub sandwiches (remind me of what you can get back North!) - and you can just run out for what you need now!

Anyone staying at Bay Lake - we had the BEST room for four days - a cheater MK view. We'd asked for a lake view which we got AND when we went out on the balcony and there was MK and all the fireworks. It was SWEET. It was room 8004 in case anyone is interested in trying to request it. The other six days we were at the Lodge - and "home" felt good since we hadn't been there since Christmas 2010.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #2242
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydinks View Post
This may have already been posted (it's been so long and I haven't read every page I missed), but for those who don't already know it (i.e. those new to the thread) there is a Publiks supermarket just about 4 miles from the Lodge out the back end of Disney past the Contemporary! We were so excited to find this out this trip - they make the best sub sandwiches (remind me of what you can get back North!) - and you can just run out for what you need now!
Ok I'm confused. What do you mean by out of the back end of Disney past the Contemporary? How do you get there from the Lodge? We usually stop at either Super Walmart or the Publix off exit 6. If there's something closer & easier I'd love to know! Glad to hear you had a good trip.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #2243
Happydinks
Just Bob and Leslie (Okay, Buddy and Gracie too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover View Post
Ok I'm confused. What do you mean by out of the back end of Disney past the Contemporary? How do you get there from the Lodge? We usually stop at either Super Walmart or the Publix off exit 6. If there's something closer & easier I'd love to know! Glad to hear you had a good trip.
Here's the directions from the Lodge:
Take a right out from the Lodge and go past the Contemporary.
At the 4 way stop Yield Right
Through the traffic light to the end of the road turn Right
Stay on this road and you will see Publix on the Right just past the traffic circle.

These are the directions we were given at Bay Lake. It takes no more than 10 minutes (depending on traffic) to get there. It was so nice not to go running way out of our way or trying to stock up on a lot of stuff - especially with the split stay. This road takes you through the back of MK, past all the "services", Disney University, etc. There are a lot of new apts, condos, and homes being built in this area and the Publix is beautiful in a nice new small mall near all the building.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #2244
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Here's the directions from the Lodge:
Take a right out from the Lodge and go past the Contemporary.
At the 4 way stop Yield Right
Through the traffic light to the end of the road turn Right
Stay on this road and you will see Publix on the Right just past the traffic circle.

These are the directions we were given at Bay Lake. It takes no more than 10 minutes (depending on traffic) to get there. It was so nice not to go running way out of our way or trying to stock up on a lot of stuff - especially with the split stay. This road takes you through the back of MK, past all the "services", Disney University, etc. There are a lot of new apts, condos, and homes being built in this area and the Publix is beautiful in a nice new small mall near all the building.
Thank you! I had no idea you could even continue on that road past CR.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #2245
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
This is a little late - but if you ever seriously want one - they frequently come through our rescue! Of course, they are not puppies, BUT, I highly recommend the "mature" adult dogs - then what you see is what you get!

We just returned on Sunday from our amazing 16 days in Florida. We got chased in by Sandy on the last day of our cruise - a little rocky that last night. No rain in Orlando to speak of the entire time, just lots of wind (they cancelled Illuminations on Friday night) - but a little cold for a few days.

Anyone staying at Bay Lake - we had the BEST room for four days - a cheater MK view. We'd asked for a lake view which we got AND when we went out on the balcony and there was MK and all the fireworks. It was SWEET. It was room 8004 in case anyone is interested in trying to request it. The other six days we were at the Lodge - and "home" felt good since we hadn't been there since Christmas 2010.
Oh, as much as I would love a Corgi, alas, I am allergic as is Mr Muush. I really wish a neighbor with one would let me take care of one while they were away! Temp Corgi Fix, no allergens!

Which cruise were you on, Dream or Fantasy? You have a great attitude about it being rocky, I would have been .

So, I take it you liked BLT? Sounds like you got an awesome room! Was that a 1 BR?

Thanks for the Publix info, we will go there!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #2246
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretPoohLove View Post
I am still recovering from losing my precious Corgi last month, (and my other 3 years ago) and these pictures made me smile and cry. Thank you.
Oh I am so sorry for your loss. As much as I love dogs, that part of it is so so hard. The picture of the lab I have on here is Montana. We lost him about 4 years ago to cancer. That was really difficult. I hated to see him go through that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokats View Post
It has been one of those days you would never dream of happening when you walk out your front door.

I was driving down one of our sevice roads in Greenville to meet my boss and I saw this car coming right at me in my lane. this is not a one way road!!
It only took me a second to realize she was not going to move back into her lane and I started heading off to the grass (no shoulder to the road) She hit me starting at the front of my door right behind the front tire and went all the way to the back tire which got ripped off the axle and was parallel with the back bumper needless to say. I am fine, just sore in a few spots, but my sweet red Monte Carlo is totalled. Lucky for me there was a car full of witnesses behind me and her. The officer told me she did have insurance, but she did not know what happened. All the witness told the same story I did, so hopefully I will not have any trouble with her insurance. Another thing that upset me was that she never offered to come down to me and even see how I was, so I didn't go near her either. But God was totally with me as always and I totally praise Him. Just a few minutes before the accident I had my window down, but I rolled it up. If I had not, the mirror would have showered all over me when she hit it, cause it was totally gone from the casing.

Just needed some groupie hugs. I loved that car and I had not even hit 100,000!!!!
So glad you are okay Kathy! That must have been so scary. You sure were being watched over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Hi Groupies! Doing a little catch up after having a trip to WDW and then a rather crazy week since getting back. (We did fit in a quick stop at the Lodge which was lovely as ever!). We first had a stop in MN were DH and I met with his Dr. for a follow up on his surgery. We learned that when the additional testing was done on the lymph nodes they discovered that it were in fact 2 of 42 rather than just 1 that tested positive for cancer. However the Dr. still remains optimistic of a postive outcome with the hormone therapy he is recommending for the next 2 years. We just try and remain positive and will continue the fight.
My prayers are with your DH that everything goes well with the treatment.

Loved this DLI!!!! While looking at the pictures I kept trying to figure out what my boys would think of a costume. I couldn't decide if they'd show off or just sit and refuse to move.

There's rarely been a dog I've met that I didn't like but I gotta say Corgi's have absolutely won me over. Charming Clowns was the description I found when first learning about the Cardigan Corgi's and it's absolutely true!!
This is so true with my pups. Especially with Kaya. She is hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
I always wanted at 77 Black Trans Am with the gold bird on the hood(like the Smokey and the Bandit version). Starting to get a recurring theme here, redneck
That was my DH's dream car! He loved that movie. We did end up getting a red one.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #2247
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

So we spent the past weekend in our old area in Iowa and Nebraska. Had a nice time while we were there. Went to our favorite restaurants and the zoo which is always awesome. Came home late last night and the you know what hit the fan. Found out that both my Aunt and FIL had to go into the hospital while we were gone. FIL who has heart problems and a pace maker suddenly lost all his strength and fell. My poor MIL had to handle everything alone. He is a big guy and she couldn't really help him. She call 911 and they got him to the hospital. They think he has an infection that might be around his pacemaker. They also found tumors on his kidney so they have to do a biopsy to see if it is cancer.
Also my aunt had really bad stomach pain and it turns out that she has 2 gall stones and an inflamed gall bladder. Tomorrow morning she has to have one of the stones removed by a tube they are putting down her throat. Then after she recovers from that she needs to have the other stone and gall bladder removed.
The upside to this is that they are both in the same hospital. We joked around with them and thanked them for coordinating it to make it easier on them to visit them.
What a day it's been. Having to do all that, doing wash and stuff from the trip and then having to vote. Yeesh.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #2248
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan View Post
So we spent the past weekend in our old area in Iowa and Nebraska. Had a nice time while we were there. Went to our favorite restaurants and the zoo which is always awesome. Came home late last night and the you know what hit the fan. Found out that both my Aunt and FIL had to go into the hospital while we were gone. FIL who has heart problems and a pace maker suddenly lost all his strength and fell. My poor MIL had to handle everything alone. He is a big guy and she couldn't really help him. She call 911 and they got him to the hospital. They think he has an infection that might be around his pacemaker. They also found tumors on his kidney so they have to do a biopsy to see if it is cancer.
Also my aunt had really bad stomach pain and it turns out that she has 2 gall stones and an inflamed gall bladder. Tomorrow morning she has to have one of the stones removed by a tube they are putting down her throat. Then after she recovers from that she needs to have the other stone and gall bladder removed.
The upside to this is that they are both in the same hospital. We joked around with them and thanked them for coordinating it to make it easier on them to visit them.
What a day it's been. Having to do all that, doing wash and stuff from the trip and then having to vote. Yeesh.
OMG ! What a series of events. Prayers going out to them both and hope you FIL doesn't have cancer. Hang in there DLI

Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #2249
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

I'll second Maria's sentiments. I hope everything turns out all right. That is a lot of illness. Hugs to all of you.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #2250
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post

The only car DH has ever restored and it was quite an investment was a '71 Chevy Nova. He was so proud of it and it did look good. One of the sons drove it during his high school years and unfortunately it sat in the yard after he got his own truck. Have had a lot of offers from guys that would like to buy it, but DH will not let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklebug View Post
Kathy - My parents have always owned GMs. I myself had 2 GM cars, but they're just not me. I've also had three Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep vehicles, let's not go there.

My latest car I decided to try a Nissan, Toyota or Honda given the good reputations they hold. After 5 test drives and multiple negotiations I went with the Toyota Camry for highway handling and the best no-BS dealership experience I've ever had. So far, I love this car. It's been almost 4 years and 30K so not much of a test mileage wise. The only problem I have had was the water pump that just went on me just last month (covered under warrantee, probably due to my running the AC a lot) It drives fantastic, gas mileage is only 22mpg, but then again, I got the V6 engine.

My reasons for not going with the Nissan Altima: It's a cool design with lots of toys for less than the Camry, but I decided for my price point I wanted the Hybrid Altima and it just didn't have the pickup I needed. Also, I have a large number of neighbors with the Altima and 2 of those folk have the same story of the rear bumper crumpling up with weather. Hmmm.

The Honda Accord didn't have a chance with me as I had a poor sales person. When I test drove the Accord there was a strange shaking coming from the engine when climbing a moderately sized hill. The salesperson said I was imagining it and then he backtracked and said the noise and vibration was normal after he couldn't deny it was there. I think it was just that car, but he wouldn't let me test drive any others insisting instead that I negotiate on the one I didn't like. I had to walk away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan View Post
So glad you are okay Kathy! That must have been so scary. You sure were being watched over.
We went looking today and found a nice Hyundai Sonata that I liked and the salesman was very nice, did not push us at all especially since we told him we were just seeing what there was and getting a little education on the different brands.
There was a Nissan Altima that I drove, but there was another one I kinda liked better that I did not drive, but the two salesmen we dealt with really were pushy and turned my husband off real fast.
Then we went to our Chevy dealership and they had an Impala there that was exactly what I wanted. Plus another salesman that was great and did not push us, just gave us the info we wanted. Kati likes the Impala.
I don't know how much more we will look around. There is a couple of more dealerships that we will probably go to, but we have a little more education on the vehicles.

Another note on the wreck. . . I have been feeling pretty good this week. The soreness is less and I am hoping my chiropractor will work that little bit out.
Thanks for the continued thoughts.

DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: