Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Wed Oct 10
fly to MCO late afternoon

Thurs Oct 11
Epcot 9a-9p. Food and Wine TP 4.2

Fri Oct 12
Magic Kingdom 9a-7p TP 1.1

Sat Oct 13
Animal Kingdom 9a-5p TP 4.3

Sun Oct 14
MNSSHP (maybe MK in the afternoon TP 1.1)

Mon Oct 15
Hollywood Studios 9a-8p TP 3.1

Tues Oct 16
Magic Kingdom in the a.m., fly home in the afternoon TP 1.1

ADR's are just 2 days away!! So please, please share any favorite restaurants, especially signatures. i'm still unsure about one.[/COLOR]
I think your plans look good. You can get into the MK for MNSSHP as early as 4 with your party ticket... so if you don't go to a park that morning, you can just get 5 day tickets. Maybe sleep in, go to the pool for awhile, then head to the party.

I've already mentioned my favorite TS places (Boma, 'Ohana, Les Chefs) but I can talk about more!

MK: I've been to LTT and Tony's. Both were ok. Probably wouldn't go back, only because there are so many other places that are better. We've also been to Crystal Palace and loved it.

Epcot: Other than Les Chefs, I've been to Rose & Crown. It was very good.

DHS: I've been to Sci-Fi and 50sPTC. Both were very good. DDs would prefer to go back to Sci-Fi over 50s, as they loved eating in the car and really didn't "get" the theme at 50s.

AK: The only TS at AK I've been to is Yak & Yeti. Again, very good. I would go back.

Outside the parks, I've been to Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana, Cape May Clam Bake, WCC. I would go back to any of these, as well! Especially 'Ohana.

The only TS meal I've had at WDW where I would not go back to is lunch at Akershus. Had I known then what I know now, I would've done breakfast instead of lunch. We booked it solely for DDs to meet the princesses... I don't know why it didn't occur to me to think about the food! Needless to say, we were not thrilled with the Norwegian fare.

Hope that helps!

POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
Restaurants? Food? I'm all over it.

We've only done one signature: California Grill and we loved it. No pictures, because we were just immersed in seeing the VIEW! We didn't have a table window, but we could still see the windows from our table and I could see the castle!

i think this sounds amazing; Chris doesn't seem to interested in this. Not sure why.

As far as food elsewhere, here are some of my favorite TS places:
AK: Tusker house (lunch was amazing and this is my all-time favorite restaurant)
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]this is on my breakfast list. i'm not sure how adventurous my youngins will be with the mena and well, if it aint broke, dont fix it. we all enjoyed th breakfast. [/COLOR]

MK: CP and Tony's (when is the new FL restaurant opening? ), both have good food and we've not had any bad experiences to note
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]latest timeline says late 2012. i'm not counting on it but would fight for it.[/COLOR]

DHS: 50s PTC and Sci-Fi, 50s is my favorite DHS TS place, the food is amazing and you may enjoy some laughter at other's expense

EP: Teppan Edo, Akershus, Chefs de France; all good food and experiences

Elsewhere: Wolfgang Puck, Chef Mickey's, Kouzzina; CM's will hold a special place in my heart

I wouldn't hesitate to book any of the above places. I have some others that I'd consider, but I'd jump on booking any of those.

I do NOT recommend 1900 PF or GFC -- any GF restaurants -- as a personal experience. By all means, I'm sure others would rave of them ... but everytime I've been to GF, I've had such a horrid experience, we couldn't be PAID to go back. So take my comment with a grain of salt and know that we had bad experiences, but our experiences may or may not be typical.
i will say that our 1900 PF meal was not nearly as organized as others.

chris was all about a signature, he was stressing over weather to try one we had done before and loved, or a new one. now he's completely indifferent. i wish he would speak up. i dont give him a say in much of the planningplus, i get nervous picking out food when they have too many big descriptive words

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Ramble away! That's what a PTR is all about!

We went to Disney Dec 2010 and it was AMAZING! We didn't stay over the actual holiday, but just being there with the Magic of Christmas AND the Magic of Disney meeting… it was wonderful! You should certainly do it one day!!!
sounds great! i know i saw the Christmas cups come out one trip and i couldn't help but smile bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I'm joining in! We miss y'all by just a few days! Our next trip is 9/29 - 10/7. Can't wait to hear all about your plans!
oh, that stinks! i bet our little men could cause quite a ruckus! i've got your PTR on my list. i'm dying to know how to get DH to be excited about Disney. He's sworn off cruises forever also. so sad!

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
lbuzz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
I'm here!

Yay for October! Um, I know I just had a kid-free WDW trip last year... I'm getting another this year! DH and I are going in October to celebrate our anniversary!

There's a group on Facebook for October DISers...here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324328994294695/

I've never been to any Signature Dining. But TS places that top my favorites list are Boma, 'Ohana and Les Chefs!
Hi Shannon! Thanks for joining in. I'm going to catch up on your PTR too soon i promise. just me and DH is another trip i want someday, but i have to wait until the kids won't shoot me for it

thanks for the facebook group!

Quote:
I think your plans look good. You can get into the MK for MNSSHP as early as 4 with your party ticket... so if you don't go to a park that morning, you can just get 5 day tickets. Maybe sleep in, go to the pool for awhile, then head to the party.

I've already mentioned my favorite TS places (Boma, 'Ohana, Les Chefs) but I can talk about more!

MK: I've been to LTT and Tony's. Both were ok. Probably wouldn't go back, only because there are so many other places that are better. We've also been to Crystal Palace and loved it.

Epcot: Other than Les Chefs, I've been to Rose & Crown. It was very good.

DHS: I've been to Sci-Fi and 50sPTC. Both were very good. DDs would prefer to go back to Sci-Fi over 50s, as they loved eating in the car and really didn't "get" the theme at 50s.

AK: The only TS at AK I've been to is Yak & Yeti. Again, very good. I would go back.

Outside the parks, I've been to Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana, Cape May Clam Bake, WCC. I would go back to any of these, as well! Especially 'Ohana.

The only TS meal I've had at WDW where I would not go back to is lunch at Akershus. Had I known then what I know now, I would've done breakfast instead of lunch. We booked it solely for DDs to meet the princesses... I don't know why it didn't occur to me to think about the food! Needless to say, we were not thrilled with the Norwegian fare.

Hope that helps!

our goal for party day is to sleep in a bit. we hope to have an "extra" scheduled for that day too, so we will probably go ahead and need the ticket to get in early. this trip is 2 days shorter than our past ones and it really makes things more difficult when you want to overschedule!

we did akershus for dinner last year, and i have to say, we pretty much filled up on the cold cuts and salad at the buffet. i hate that there are so many good restaurants at Epcot though. Especially when you go for food and wine- you snack so much you can't fit in two ADR's that day.

because i only have one more day before i can make them, i'm goign to go ahead and post what i was thinking so you all can offer any suggestions based on scheduling too.

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 04-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
oh, that stinks! i bet our little men could cause quite a ruckus!
I know....I'm sure they would've had a lot of fun meeting up!

Quote:
i've got your PTR on my list. i'm dying to know how to get DH to be excited about Disney. He's sworn off cruises forever also. so sad!
Great! Pop in whenever you can - I know it can be hard to keep up on the DIS sometimes. Have y'all done a Disney cruise? Ed had sworn off cruises too, until our cruise on the Dream last May. He couldn't wait to do another one. I have us booked for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy for May 2013 as of right now.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

181.5 days....

I figure i might as well post my initial ADR thoughts now. i do, after all, only have 36 hours until i can go for them!!!!!

please critique and help!

Wed Oct 10
fly to MCO late afternoon
Dinner will be at the resort of possibly at DTD. we don't know what time the flight will be. this will be CS

Thurs Oct 11
Epcot 9a-9p. Food and Wine TP 4.2
I'm thinking of Akershus for breakfast. I'm very indecisive as to when i should schedule it. i was originally thinking preopening because that is just fun. But now i'm wondering if i should just make it at the tail end of breakfast? it would mean losing out on empty park pictures. but it would prolong our bellies being full. that could go far when we will just be snacking our way around the world for lunch/dinner at F&W. of course, we could always grab a couple CS meals to split if we needed to. I really want some nachos. and a late breakfast means riding like one thing and then having to stop to make the ADR. ugghh. there are so many places i want to try here, but i have no idea how long before dd outgrows princess meals and i hate to not have one somewhere in the trip

Fri Oct 12
Magic Kingdom 9a-7p TP 1.1
short MK day, so we will just grab some CS for lunch. Ohana for dinner- the goal is to time it so that we can either watch hallowishes from the restaurant or from the beach. guess i better start guessing on when that will be.

Sat Oct 13
Animal Kingdom 9a-5p TP 4.3
fairly certain that this will be Tusker House breakfast. we will split a CS meal or 2 for lunch. dinner will be at the resort or at DTD. hopefully resort because DTD will be busy on a Saturday night i bet.

Sun Oct 14
MNSSHP (maybe MK in the afternoon TP 1.1)
resort cs breakfast at our leisure. lunch or dinner at Crystal Palace. ANY PREFERENCES BETWEEN LUNCH AND DINNER AT CP? if we need something during the party we will split a cs for a snack. i need to brush up on what will be open that night as far as food

Mon Oct 15
Hollywood Studios 9a-8p TP 3.1
i think we will do Pizza planet for an early lunch. and right now we are leaning towards trying Hollywood Brown Derby. we were originally thinking flying fish, which we have done before and loved. but we have been to all the other restaurants on our list before- although we are switching one from dinner to breakfast and vice versa- but we kind of thought we needed something new. but this one sort of just sits under the radar for me. its not wowing me and i dont sit there and think oh, i can't miss this. i'd be open to other signatures, even non signatures. most places i want to try are at epcot and i'm not getting park hoppers just to eat. what to do???

Tues Oct 16
Magic Kingdom in the a.m., fly home in the afternoon TP 1.1
we will grab some casey's and sit and watch main street and tell MK goodbye before having to catch our flight. mmmmm. corn dog nuggets and fries with plastic cheese sauce! we might even share a cinnamon roll for dessert

Last edited by lbuzz52; 04-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know....I'm sure they would've had a lot of fun meeting up!

Great! Pop in whenever you can - I know it can be hard to keep up on the DIS sometimes. Have y'all done a Disney cruise? Ed had sworn off cruises too, until our cruise on the Dream last May. He couldn't wait to do another one. I have us booked for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy for May 2013 as of right now.
I can't get him on one period. No matter the company or the destination. He says he's sure he doesn't like boats. He's never spent any extended time on a boat and doesn't think he'd enjoy it. he also thinks it must be boring. there was a time when he said when the kids are older, and now he just says no. i have not pushed to hard yet, as he does keep suggesting Disney vacations. Of course, he says he hates the beach too. he seems to think he would hate anything relaxing. he just didn't go anywhere for vacation as a child and doesn't really know what he would like i guess.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Here are my thoughts!

Re: Akershus - I also think having a pre-park opening breakfast would be cool, to get those empty park pics and just experience being in the park before the crowds. However, I don't know if I'd do this at Epcot, LOL! I personally would love to do this at the MK... to get in early and walk down Main Street towards the castle when there's no one else there!

I'll throw my two cents in and say I like the idea of a late breakfast, then snacking around the WS and F&W for lunch/dinner.

Re: 'Ohana - Our ADR for dinner at 'Ohana last year was at 8:00, but I cannot remember what time it was when we were seated. I know we did have a bit of a wait. I think we were pretty much finished with our meal (dessert had not yet been served) when Wishes started. While we did have a table at the window, only my seat had a view of the castle and fireworks... my friends' view was obstructed by trees. So maybe getting to dinner a little earlier and then going down to the beach to watch Wishes is a better idea? But it is pretty cool watching from the restaurant.

Re: Crystal Palace - I've only had breakfast and lunch there. I prefer breakfast, but I was very pleased with lunch. You may want to check and see what time CP closes on the party nights... it may be they close before they start serving dinner? (if that makes sense)

Re: your day at DHS - Pizza Planet is pretty good. I have not been to HBD. Have you thought about Cape May? That's our plan for our day at DHS... none of the park restaurants really appealed to us, so we're going to head over to the BC for dinner.
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here are my thoughts!

Re: Akershus - I also think having a pre-park opening breakfast would be cool, to get those empty park pics and just experience being in the park before the crowds. However, I don't know if I'd do this at Epcot, LOL! I personally would love to do this at the MK... to get in early and walk down Main Street towards the castle when there's no one else there!

I'll throw my two cents in and say I like the idea of a late breakfast, then snacking around the WS and F&W for lunch/dinner.

Makes sense to me. we've done the prepark before at MK and loved it. i haven't gotten to that quite yet in my forever old trip report but i will. i may then aim for RD and the meet and the meet and greet and grabbing a soarin fastpass before breakfast. starting off with characters may help soothe the burn of not being at MK first for the kids

Re: 'Ohana - Our ADR for dinner at 'Ohana last year was at 8:00, but I cannot remember what time it was when we were seated. I know we did have a bit of a wait. I think we were pretty much finished with our meal (dessert had not yet been served) when Wishes started. While we did have a table at the window, only my seat had a view of the castle and fireworks... my friends' view was obstructed by trees. So maybe getting to dinner a little earlier and then going down to the beach to watch Wishes is a better idea? But it is pretty cool watching from the restaurant.

i think hallowishes will be at 9:30, and Mk closes at 7:00. I'm going to aim for around 7:30. we will see it later in the week, but there is no such thing as too many fireworks if it works out.

Re: Crystal Palace - I've only had breakfast and lunch there. I prefer breakfast, but I was very pleased with lunch. You may want to check and see what time CP closes on the party nights... it may be they close before they start serving dinner? (if that makes sense)

good idea. the hope is to get it as a late lunch i think... like 2ish. but i've got something else in the works that takes priority. im going to miss the puffed toast though!

Re: your day at DHS - Pizza Planet is pretty good. I have not been to HBD. Have you thought about Cape May? That's our plan for our day at DHS... none of the park restaurants really appealed to us, so we're going to head over to the BC for dinner.
i'm interested in Cape May- DH says no more buffets!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
amandaw
DIS Veteran

This darn DIS! GRRR! I posted a response last night but I think it deleted it. So, I'll try again!

I think all of your food choices sound really good! The only one I have an opinion on is Akershus. I would do the prepark opening ADR. But I, admittedly, prefer not to stop once we get going.

Quote:
I can't get him on one period. No matter the company or the destination. He says he's sure he doesn't like boats. He's never spent any extended time on a boat and doesn't think he'd enjoy it. he also thinks it must be boring. there was a time when he said when the kids are older, and now he just says no. i have not pushed to hard yet, as he does keep suggesting Disney vacations. Of course, he says he hates the beach too. he seems to think he would hate anything relaxing. he just didn't go anywhere for vacation as a child and doesn't really know what he would like i guess.
Maybe I should have Ed call your DH to try & talk him into trying a Disney cruise!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This darn DIS! GRRR! I posted a response last night but I think it deleted it. So, I'll try again!

I think all of your food choices sound really good! The only one I have an opinion on is Akershus. I would do the prepark opening ADR. But I, admittedly, prefer not to stop once we get going.

Maybe I should have Ed call your DH to try & talk him into trying a Disney cruise!
i can't get a lot of the extras to work on here... the pages for an individual person, the (main) search, etc...

see! i hate when there are valid points to two choices!!! this is where a strong opinion from DH would come in handy!

Maya wants to go on a cruise too... i keep thinking maybe if she sweet talks him enough he may change his thinking.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
MagicalWorldMommy
Wow. I could get used to a view like this. Wait. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys, I want a castle.

Signing on to check out your fall plans!

I love your restaurant choices so far. Have you thought of Yachtsman? The boatride from DHS and a nice juicy steak sounds like a relaxing evening to me.

Me DH DS(8) DS(3) DD(3 months)

5/2012-Pop-Grant's 1st birthday trip!!!*5/2010-ASSp-Just us 3*12/2009- Pop-with MiMi and Poppy*2/1997-ASSp*2/1996-ASSp*2/1995-ASSp*2/1994-ASSp*2/1993-ASSp*4/1992-Dixie Landings*6/1989-First Trip!
MagicalWorldMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #27
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalWorldMommy View Post
Signing on to check out your fall plans!

I love your restaurant choices so far. Have you thought of Yachtsman? The boatride from DHS and a nice juicy steak sounds like a relaxing evening to me.
Steak sounds good to me... but Chris is the chef at a steakhouse. Its hit or miss as to whether he would go for it. i didn't see him last night- he got home long after i was in bed and was still asleep when i left. ill have to ask him this weekend. we never have steak at home because he doesn't want to cook it on his off days

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

i really need to be doing actual work, but i can't help it. i had to sneak in here and say that i booked my ADR's and a couple special things today!!! more details later i promise!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
MagicalWorldMommy
Wow. I could get used to a view like this. Wait. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys, I want a castle.

Quote:
i really need to be doing actual work, but i can't help it. i had to sneak in here and say that i booked my ADR's and a couple special things today!!! more details later i promise!
whooo hooooo

Booking stuff always makes for a great day~

Me DH DS(8) DS(3) DD(3 months)

5/2012-Pop-Grant's 1st birthday trip!!!*5/2010-ASSp-Just us 3*12/2009- Pop-with MiMi and Poppy*2/1997-ASSp*2/1996-ASSp*2/1995-ASSp*2/1994-ASSp*2/1993-ASSp*4/1992-Dixie Landings*6/1989-First Trip!
MagicalWorldMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YAY!

Getting to book stuff always make the trip seem that much closer. And it gets me even more excited! Can't wait to hear about what all you booked!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: