Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Mickey and The Promise of Cheesy Dorito Fingers- Oct 2012 PTR Update 10/06

I recently asked my 3 year old what he was most looking forward to on our next Disney vacation. Now keep in mind, he was barely 2 the last time he went, so i'm not all that sure what he remembers on his own verses what he remembers because he's heard us talk about it a million times.

Even so, he gave me a super sweet, albeit standard response.

"I just want to go because i love Mi-Hee"

My 6 (and a half- because you know that's important ) year old daughter, on the other hand, gave me a much more surprising answer.

"I can't wait to live in the hotel and eat Doritos in bed"

I decided that was what i was looking forward to the most also. Well, not to eat Doritos, necessarily. But to do the things that are out of the normal daily routine, to bask in the simple pleasures, to allow myself to relax and say anything goes. And to do all this in the company of a mouse and his friends- well there isn't much better in my book.

I am please to announce that it is time to schedule those Doritos! But sshhh- please don't tell my kids!

May 2011 CBR TR. October 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR.
Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015

Last edited by lbuzz52; 10-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
lbuzz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Table of contents

Saved for TOC

Cast Introductions - scroll down
Basic Itinerary- scroll down

ADR's- need help with my picks and timing
ADR's Round 1
Changes already?
Special Surprise
Resort Short List
Resort choice and Second Surprise
ADR's Round 2
Day 1: Travel Day- How do we tell the kids?
Day 1: Once we arrive
Another ADR
Day 2: Epcot
a Little Shopping- ok, a lot
Side Money
Flights
Dancing
A Little Confusion
Day 3 and other Magic Kingdom moments
Happy Birthday Maya
Vera/ Shopping
Little update
autograph books

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015

Last edited by lbuzz52; 09-14-2012 at 05:45 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

I'm not blessed with a DH who lives and breathes Disney like i do. I have a little rule when it comes to scheduling the next trip- and that is don't force it. I've been ready to go back since the last trip was completed. He, on the other hand- feels that there are other places to go too. (i know, what is he thinking)

Anyway, so typically, before i can schedule a trip, we go round and round with things before he gives the go ahead. I never ask for the trip. I never push for it. Sure, i sigh every time a commercial comes on, but i wait for him to say he's ready to go. I guess somehow i've got myself thinking that if he brings it up then i don't have to feel guilty to going to my place yet again. yes, it is the kids place too, but he deserves a pick also. To be fair, every time we start discussing vacation, i ask him where he wants to go. He always says he'll think about it. Then he'll make these random comments like remember how beautiful Maya felt after BBB or WDW will be so different for James now that he's a whole year older. That's when i know i've got him He did tell me that next vacation he wants to go somewhere different. I figure Sea World counts, right?

Wait, I guess I should back up and introduce you to all these people i am discussing.

First, there is sweet baby James (3). He's not actually a baby anymore, which he reminds me everyday. Each time i call him my baby, he stands up where ever he is and says "see mama, my bigger now". He is a super sweet kid. He's extremely laid back/ go with the flow, and until recently, i would have said he was shy. He really wears his emotions on his sleeve, which is bad when i have to punish him, but oh so good when something excites him. He has recently perfected his superhero pose. He asked to eat with Mickey and Goofy on his next trip, and all things Toy Story, Cars, Pooh, and Spiderman excite him. I hope that this trip finds him a full 40" tall.

Then there is Maya (6.5). My little mini me. She has never met a stranger. She loves to sing, dance, and talk. She amazes me with her compassion. Her speech teacher uses her as an example for others because she is so accepting of their faults. And she often asks me to do certain activities or watch certain shows because she knows James loves them. While she loves all the princesses, Rapunzel and Ariel hold special places in her heart. She wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. I hope that this trip she is still a firm believer in all the magic.

Chris, my DH, like i mentioned, wasn't born with the Disney gene. He's slowly becoming a fan though. His first taste of the mouse was in 2008 when we went to Disneyland. Since then, i can be proud to say that i've caught him watching Disney channel when the kids aren't around And while he won't wear a Disney tee around town, he does sport his WDW hat, which is at least a step in the right direction. He's slow to let you in his inner circle, but once he does, there isn't anything he wouldn't do for you. He's the head chef at a local steakhouse- works too hard, and too many hours, but takes extreme pride in his work. I'm very lucky to say that when it comes to housework or parenting, he'll do whatever is needed. I hope that this trip he lets his guard down and behaves like a kid at least once.

And that leaves me. I'm Lauren. I tell everyone i'm 26, but Maya is quick to correct that information When i was in elementary school, i wanted to be a street sweeper at the Magic Kingdom. Until that happens I've settled for the travel industry. There is a local family here that has their own plane. I work in their flight department- scheduling all the pilot travel and flights, and doing the office/ accounting for this location. I also have a side job as a regular ole travel agent. So occasionally i get paid to talk Disney! My favorite rides are Expedition Everest, Peter Pan, and Pirates of the Caribbean. I can never tire of the older movies- 101 Dalmations, Robin Hood, and Pete's Dragon for example. i'm looking forward to riding some bigger rides as a family this trip.

So nice to meet some of you, and to the others, thanks for coming back for more of my crazy family!

Up Next- Our Disney History

And in the Mean Time- please share your favorite Signature restaurant- or if you don't have one, what is your top don't miss dining location?

-

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Last edited by lbuzz52; 04-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Ooooohhhh, an October trip. I can't wait to hear your plans. I love reading about Halloween and fall decorations at Disney.

Caitlin would most likely look foward to the doritos at Disney too. She spends a good majority of her day thinking about when she can have Doritos next
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Lidian
DIS Veteran

I'm totally in!! I want to go eat Doritos, too!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Awe! This sounds like a PTR I can't pass up!!

Your kids sound adorable! My ODD is 3- ALMOST 4, mind you- and loves Disney World! Every time she sees the commercials, she reminds me that she had been there. As if I could EVER forget!

My husband couldn't understand why I wanted to go to WDW so badly. But he has certainly gotten bit and is a Disney Lover now!!

I haven't had a signature, but my FAVORITE meal was breakfast at Tusker House. That food was AMAZING!!!!!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Ooooohhhh, an October trip. I can't wait to hear your plans. I love reading about Halloween and fall decorations at Disney.

Caitlin would most likely look foward to the doritos at Disney too. She spends a good majority of her day thinking about when she can have Doritos next
hi Diane! Thanks for joining in!
I'm anxious to share my plans. We went in October a few years ago and LOVED it! I can't wait to go back. I am addicted to Boo To You!

I had to laugh outloud when you said Caitlin spends her day thinking about doritos. What is it about those chips? Maya will beg for Taco Bell just because they serve Doritos LOL

how have you guys been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I'm totally in!! I want to go eat Doritos, too!
Yeah! Glad you are here! Come on down, I'm sure your professors won't mind

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Awe! This sounds like a PTR I can't pass up!!

Your kids sound adorable! My ODD is 3- ALMOST 4, mind you- and loves Disney World! Every time she sees the commercials, she reminds me that she had been there. As if I could EVER forget!

My husband couldn't understand why I wanted to go to WDW so badly. But he has certainly gotten bit and is a Disney Lover now!!

I haven't had a signature, but my FAVORITE meal was breakfast at Tusker House. That food was AMAZING!!!!!!
Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

Sounds like your ODD definitely has the. Disney bug. There are worse things in life, that's for sure. Thanks for tge compliments on my kiddos. I think they are pretty special myself.

I can say that my husband gets why Disney is special. On our first Disney excursion- a one day trip to Disneyland, we went with my best friend. So it was chris, 2 pregnant women, and 3 little girls under 5. My friend was a California resident at the time, so we went under her direction. We arrived hours after rope drop. She was in a wheelchair at the time after a car accident, so we rode most everything with little to no wait and without entering normal queues. Chris spent the better part of the day wondering what the big deal was. Then the parade started. And he saw the magic and the pure enjoyment in Maya's eyes. And ge got how it could be such a magical exciting place.
But he just doesn't feel the draw to it like I do. The need to be there. I am not sure that he ever will. But he is willing to go and generally complaint free while we are there. So while I may never be able to talk him into twice a year trips like I want, he is a great sport about it all.

Wow, got to rambling there. Sorry! Anyway, thanks for joining in!

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Joining. Love Orlando in October.

I'm with you on doing things out of the norm. I love vacations because I don't have the other obligations I have at home. The children love hotels and I love (among other things) packing my car keys away for a few days and letting someone else drive.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
Joining. Love Orlando in October.

I'm with you on doing things out of the norm. I love vacations because I don't have the other obligations I have at home. The children love hotels and I love (among other things) packing my car keys away for a few days and letting someone else drive.

Exactly! On all your points!

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

A Little WDW History/ Park Schedule

I was lucky to enough to visit WDW a few times as a child, and DL as a teen. My DH, however, was not. Our first Disney trip as a family was to DL when Maya was 3. No ADR's, we only saw one character, no research. We didn't even do queues- we were there with a wheelchair bound friend. And there were 2 pregnant ladies in our group. Needless to say, there was much more to experience there for us. Even so, Chris was able to see the magic and wonder in Maya's eyes, and within a year we had a large trip planned for WDW.

That trip included the 4 of us, my sister and nephew, and my parents. And while we enjoyed ourselves immensely, it was a bit stressful at times to keep that many people happy. We would love to go back with them (and will likely do so with the new additions of my brother, his fiancee, and their daughter). But next time, we will stagger the arrivals so that we have a few days as a family and a few days as a group. I had fallen for fall with the DL trip, so we scheduled that one for Halloween week.

Our next trip ended up being in May. Chris had just started a new job, and we wanted to get one more in before Maya started school. It was also close to a brand new experience for James, as he didn't remember much from his trip at 9 months.

You can read about that trip here. (yes, it's still in progress ha!)

That Mickey is One Smart Cookie!

So when we started talking about going again, i threw a bunch of ideas out at Chris.

He couldn't get off for Spring Break- one of the downsides of being the boss.

He can't go in the summertime. His place is opposite from many restaurants, and busiest in the summer.

He said that *maybe* he could get off in May- but he'd have to be back before Memorial Day, which would mean we would have to take Maya out of school a couple days before the end of the year.

I figured if we are going to agree to let her miss a day or two, then we could consider October- our favorite time- and Christmas, which we have always wanted to go.

In the end, even though a May trip could have been a day or two longer, the lure of Food and Wine and a Boo To You parade could not be ignored.

I do have to share though, that the Christmas idea was Chris'. He said that we must go at Christmas sometime and that he is brainstorming because the thought of the kids waking up and Santa having come at Disney is something he got really excited about!

So, now that i'm rambled enough... here's the likely schedule. I'll go into more detail at a later time

Wed Oct 10
fly to MCO late afternoon

Thurs Oct 11
Epcot 9a-9p. Food and Wine TP 4.2

Fri Oct 12
Magic Kingdom 9a-7p TP 1.1

Sat Oct 13
Animal Kingdom 9a-5p TP 4.3

Sun Oct 14
MNSSHP (maybe MK in the afternoon TP 1.1)

Mon Oct 15
Hollywood Studios 9a-8p TP 3.1

Tues Oct 16
Magic Kingdom in the a.m., fly home in the afternoon TP 1.1

We chose this week based on her two day fall break. She will miss 2 days of school. Its a little shorter than our past trips. It also means that the crowds are a teensy bit higher than the rest of October due to following Columbus day

I picked my parks based on a combination of things. We are mostly going to a park the day after they had late magic hours. We will be going somewhere other than the magic kingdom for first for the first time ever- due to the fact that we didn't have many "good" days to choose from with Hollywood Studios, and the fact that we wanted to stay away from food and wine over the weekend. The only part of the schedule that i don't like is that we will be out late for the party and then it is necessary that we make rope drop the next morning.

what do you all think?

ADR's are just 2 days away!! So please, please share any favorite restaurants, especially signatures. i'm still unsure about one.

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Last edited by lbuzz52; 04-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Restaurants? Food? I'm all over it.

We've only done one signature: California Grill and we loved it. No pictures, because we were just immersed in seeing the VIEW! We didn't have a table window, but we could still see the windows from our table and I could see the castle!

As far as food elsewhere, here are some of my favorite TS places:
AK: Tusker house (lunch was amazing and this is my all-time favorite restaurant)
MK: CP and Tony's (when is the new FL restaurant opening? ), both have good food and we've not had any bad experiences to note
DHS: 50s PTC and Sci-Fi, 50s is my favorite DHS TS place, the food is amazing and you may enjoy some laughter at other's expense
EP: Teppan Edo, Akershus, Chefs de France; all good food and experiences

Elsewhere: Wolfgang Puck, Chef Mickey's, Kouzzina; CM's will hold a special place in my heart

I wouldn't hesitate to book any of the above places. I have some others that I'd consider, but I'd jump on booking any of those.

I do NOT recommend 1900 PF or GFC -- any GF restaurants -- as a personal experience. By all means, I'm sure others would rave of them ... but everytime I've been to GF, I've had such a horrid experience, we couldn't be PAID to go back. So take my comment with a grain of salt and know that we had bad experiences, but our experiences may or may not be typical.

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

Sounds like your ODD definitely has the. Disney bug. There are worse things in life, that's for sure. Thanks for tge compliments on my kiddos. I think they are pretty special myself.

I can say that my husband gets why Disney is special. On our first Disney excursion- a one day trip to Disneyland, we went with my best friend. So it was chris, 2 pregnant women, and 3 little girls under 5. My friend was a California resident at the time, so we went under her direction. We arrived hours after rope drop. She was in a wheelchair at the time after a car accident, so we rode most everything with little to no wait and without entering normal queues. Chris spent the better part of the day wondering what the big deal was. Then the parade started. And he saw the magic and the pure enjoyment in Maya's eyes. And ge got how it could be such a magical exciting place.
But he just doesn't feel the draw to it like I do. The need to be there. I am not sure that he ever will. But he is willing to go and generally complaint free while we are there. So while I may never be able to talk him into twice a year trips like I want, he is a great sport about it all.

Wow, got to rambling there. Sorry! Anyway, thanks for joining in!
Ramble away! That's what a PTR is all about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post

I do have to share though, that the Christmas idea was Chris'. He said that we must go at Christmas sometime and that he is brainstorming because the thought of the kids waking up and Santa having come at Disney is something he got really excited about!

We went to Disney Dec 2010 and it was AMAZING! We didn't stay over the actual holiday, but just being there with the Magic of Christmas AND the Magic of Disney meeting… it was wonderful! You should certainly do it one day!!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in! We miss y'all by just a few days! Our next trip is 9/29 - 10/7. Can't wait to hear all about your plans!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Yay for October! Um, I know I just had a kid-free WDW trip last year... I'm getting another this year! DH and I are going in October to celebrate our anniversary!

There's a group on Facebook for October DISers...here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324328994294695/

I've never been to any Signature Dining. But TS places that top my favorites list are Boma, 'Ohana and Les Chefs!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: