Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #1456
WearegoingtoAmerica
Mouseketeer

Ikea Pysslingar Fish Extender

Has anyone actually used the Ikea Pyssllingar Fish Extenders? Are they OK size wise. I read that they need to be 8inches wide, & these are just over 10 inches. I don't want to get on board & find they are too wide. We're looking at going on the Fantasy or Dream if that makes a difference.
I'm from Australia and looking at going on our first cruise late next year. DCL doesn't travel here so don't know when we'll have a need for a FE again. They are a good price.
Another question. We have 6 young kids & my Mum will be travelling with us. So obviously I'll have 2 FE (1 on each stateroom), but will it be big enough with 9 people and 6 pockets? From what I've seen on here, most people tend to have 1 pocket per person. I'm happy to make them if it's not, but wouldn't be able to do it at that cost, and I need 2.
Also, how did people hang these ones. Just put ribbon at either end? Not sure.
Thanks for your help.
WearegoingtoAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #1457
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearegoingtoAmerica View Post
Has anyone actually used the Ikea Pyssllingar Fish Extenders? Are they OK size wise. I read that they need to be 8inches wide, & these are just over 10 inches. I don't want to get on board & find they are too wide. We're looking at going on the Fantasy or Dream if that makes a difference.
I'm from Australia and looking at going on our first cruise late next year. DCL doesn't travel here so don't know when we'll have a need for a FE again. They are a good price.
Another question. We have 6 young kids & my Mum will be travelling with us. So obviously I'll have 2 FE (1 on each stateroom), but will it be big enough with 9 people and 6 pockets? From what I've seen on here, most people tend to have 1 pocket per person. I'm happy to make them if it's not, but wouldn't be able to do it at that cost, and I need 2.
Thanks for your help.
We never used Ikea. I ordered one off ebay. here's a little FE writeup I did to assist with our DVC cruise last year.
I list the dimensions of the one we had and show photos of how it hangs on the Dream/Fantasy.

I have other photos as well. Let me know if you need more detail

Hope this helps.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=872

Also, 6 pockets is fine for a group of 9. Most times, I've seen two FE's hanging for side by side cabins even it they count as only 1 group participating so you are good to go with this.

We've hung a group FE in it's own handle bag from the Fish Extender or placed a little bag in just the top pockets. everything is usually labeled so your little ones will know if something is meant just for them.

have a great time.
poison ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #1458
WearegoingtoAmerica
Mouseketeer

Thanks poison ivy, I should be right to go and buy a couple of these extenders then. Your post was very helpful and your fish extender looks great. I'm so excited about going on a cruise, as well as a little nervous about having young kids on the ship, but I'm sure we'll all have an awesome time. I think they'll love doing the fish extenders.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #1459
Poohbear 64
Mouseketeer

Here is a link that I found to make our own FE's. We go on our cruise in August, going shopping this week for our FE making supplies!!!

http://www.disneyinsidertips.com/201...nder-tutorial/

It looks super easy to make!!

August 2014 Fantasy Western Carribean
September 2013 Wonder Pacific Coast
April 1989 Big Red Boat
23 Cruises on "other" Cruise Lines
Poohbear 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 AM   #1460
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearegoingtoAmerica View Post
Thanks for your help.
I just did! The size/width worked just fine for us on the Fantasy. I thought I packed ribbon to use to hang but it never made it. There is a round tab attached to the back that velcros to close. I was worried the velcro wouldn't be strong enough but it was! So I just wrapped the tab around the "fish" and velcroed it on.
We are a family of five and I used just one. I used the top pocket for DH and myself, the middle pocket for one DD and the bottom for 2 DDs. worked great!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #1461
WearegoingtoAmerica
Mouseketeer

closetmickey - That's great. Good to know it fits, and you used it for 5 people. I will grab a couple next time I'm at Ikea.

Poohbear 64 - That tutorial doesn't look too hard. And if we were going to go regularly, I'd probably give it a go.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #1462
Gina112167
cruising mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooniesAndy View Post
For our recent cruise, I made magnets for each room (mostly I gave 2 princesses and 1 Mickey):

Pendants for the women and older girls:

And Mickey and Minnie ears for the younger kids:

I couldn't come up with something homemade for the men and older boys, so I gave the men Mickey-themed calendars or planners, or little Spanish-English dictionaries, and the older boys got either Disney word searches or movie candy. I also found a bunch of High School Musical things for one young man who I'd heard loved it. We had so much fun participating in this!
i totally love your magnets is it possible to tell me how you made them thanks soo much
Gina112167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #1463
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

[QUOTE=wergoin2camouse;51272678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadisney12 View Post
On our last disney cruise, we received a gift of 6 or 7 little squares of disney fabric doubled sided with Velcro to stick them togather. There was no tag on them and I don't really know the proper use for them, has anyone made or seen this before?[/

Drink coasters? Luggage tags?
They sound like covers for the handle on your luggage to help you identify it at the airport or any other baggage claim area.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #1464
finkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
I did Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum bottles with eyepatches and tattoos in an "instant pirate kit for adults" I think people liked it.
Just saw this, what a great idea! I know I would have liked receiving this!
FE are NOT just for kids lol
finkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1465
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Bump
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #1466
motomaatta
Earning My Ears

Hi there I was wondering about magnets for the doors. Does the magnet paper you can print on usually work well? Or should I use a thicker stronger magnet?
motomaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #1467
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Alaska cruise FE's Whale tail charms and bottle cap magnets

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #1469
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I love the whale tail charms. Corinna
Agree. Those are adorable!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #1470
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Agree. Those are adorable!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks, I was really excited about whale tails for Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I love the whale tail charms.

Corinna
Thanks Corinna, your comment means so much to us! In 2012 my daughter took your class on the Hawaii cruise, and we've continued to make key chains and charms, since then. I can't thank you enough for starting us on this fun hobby!

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: