Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #1306
Fivepin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcangie87 View Post
Well now that I have a gazillion different ideas I have to figure out what I want to focus on!!

Has anyone who has done coasters had luck with getting them to be not-sticky?

I have the same question. I thought it was just the Florida humidity. I had let each tile completely dry for about two days and started to stack them up. Imagine my surprise when I went to go package them when then were sticking together. It wasn't so bad with the white felt circles, but you could really see the green when I pulled them apart.

What was your last layer? I made mine the modge because it was a glossy finish. After I sprayed the sealant it just had this dull matte finish I didn't like, and that's why I added the Modge Podge again. I thought maybe it was from that. I'm going to try it again and make the sealant the last layer and see what happens.

Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 9/23/95
Cruises: 9/14/2002 1st Disney Cruise West Caribbean; 10/2/2004 Eastern Caribbean; 8/20/2005 14 nite Panama Canal; 9/16/2006 Double Dip with Costa Maya; 5/26/2007 11 nite Mediterranean; 5/1/2008 3 night Wonder Best Friend Cruise; 9/11/2008 3 night Wonder Anniversary Cruise; 10/11/2008 Eastern Caribbean; 11/14/2009 Double Dip;1/21/2010 3 nite Wonder Mini Getaway; 7/6/2010 12 night Northern European Capitals Cruise1/26/2011 Dream MV;7/12/2011 Alaska Cruise;11/17/2011 Dream B2B; 3/31/2012 Fantasy MV; 4/29/2012 15 nite Hawaii Cruise; 7/13/2012 2 night NYC Cruise to Nowhere; 8/10/2012 Double Dip; 9/20/12 3 Nite Anniversary Cruise;11/18/12 3 Nite Vow Renewal Cruise; 1/10/13 3 Nite 1st DVC Member Cruise; 6/23/13 4 nite Dream Cruise; 11/23/13 Thanksgiving on the Fantasy; 1/14/14 3 Nite Magic Cruise in the Royal Suite
Trips to WDW:too many to count
Fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #1307
simbasmom2
Just waitin around till boarding time!

Love these!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #1308
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepin View Post
I have the same question. I thought it was just the Florida humidity. I had let each tile completely dry for about two days and started to stack them up. Imagine my surprise when I went to go package them when then were sticking together. It wasn't so bad with the white felt circles, but you could really see the green when I pulled them apart.

What was your last layer? I made mine the modge because it was a glossy finish. After I sprayed the sealant it just had this dull matte finish I didn't like, and that's why I added the Modge Podge again. I thought maybe it was from that. I'm going to try it again and make the sealant the last layer and see what happens.
I just made some fabric coasters for my dad in Florida, (they have an evening get together outside in the pool cabana), I made them with 4 layers one plastic, one was thermal insulation material, and then 2 pieces of fabric (one on each side.) They catch the condensation but aren't in the least bit sticky and can also be used as a hot pad if needed (although a small one.)

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #1309
lovemycatkellar
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for this thread, I am going to read it from one end to the other. I seem to be more excited about this than what my children can do on the ship,lol.
Melody
lovemycatkellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #1311
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I got a mickey punch today

Add duct tape and a dollar store cup

Another great FE gift for under $2.

Susan
That's a great idea! Did you use the hole punch on the duct tape then just apply to the cup? Nice job!

Cheryl726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #1312
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726 View Post
That's a great idea! Did you use the hole punch on the duct tape then just apply to the cup? Nice job!
I found duct tape that came in 8 x 11 sheets. This all seemed well and good until I posted a photo on Facebook and someone wisely pointed out that perhaps the duct tape wouldn't hold up once the cup was washed. So I ordered some vinyl sheets.

Also, I got a castle punch and another Mickey head (side view) punch. The people I ordered it from said to tell my friends. So look here:

http://www.stamp-happy.com/

Will post photos when I get everything.

Susan
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1313
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I found duct tape that came in 8 x 11 sheets. This all seemed well and good until I posted a photo on Facebook and someone wisely pointed out that perhaps the duct tape wouldn't hold up once the cup was washed. So I ordered some vinyl sheets.

Also, I got a castle punch and another Mickey head (side view) punch. The people I ordered it from said to tell my friends. So look here:

http://www.stamp-happy.com/

Will post photos when I get everything.

Susan
I am soooo NOT creative and I'm feeling like a complete moron but what is the difference in vinyl sheets? Love the head punched colored duct tape stuck on the cup, cause that is something that I could do but I feel like I'm missing something.....PLEASE help me! I'm crafty challeneged and can use all the ideas I am capable of doing.

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #1314
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyCruisinSusan View Post
I am soooo NOT creative and I'm feeling like a complete moron but what is the difference in vinyl sheets? Love the head punched colored duct tape stuck on the cup, cause that is something that I could do but I feel like I'm missing something.....PLEASE help me! I'm crafty challeneged and can use all the ideas I am capable of doing.
Vinyl lays flatter and is harder to remove, thus making them more washable. I just ordered some sheets from amazon. I'll post photos when it gets here.

Susan
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1315
maddysmom
Earning My Ears

Sorry for the stupid q but how do you stick the vinyls to the cup?
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #1316
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Sorry for the stupid q but how do you stick the vinyls to the cup?
It's adhesive backed. I just did something very similar for the FE I'm doing in a couple weeks and it kinda sucks that the idea was just posted so close to when I'll be giving them out. I made them over a month ago.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #1317
april1401
Earning My Ears

Can someone please tell me how to post pictures to this thread? I have read all over this site and tried the FAQ and even tried their instructions, but it's not working for me. I don't see an Attachment Mgr button.

I have some cool pics I want to post, but I'm not successful in doing so

Thanks and have a great day!

Disney Magic, July 2004 (Eastern Carribbean)
Disney Wonder, July 2005 and WDW (Caribbean)
Disney Magic, June 2006 (Western Caribbean)
WDW July 2007
Disney Magic, June 2008 (Mexican Riviera)
WDW June 2009
Disney Magic, July 2010 (Repositioning Cruise/Europe)
Disney Fantasy, July 2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Disney Wonder August 2013 (Alaska)
april1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1318
quarkwright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1401 View Post
Can someone please tell me how to post pictures to this thread? I have read all over this site and tried the FAQ and even tried their instructions, but it's not working for me. I don't see an Attachment Mgr button.

I have some cool pics I want to post, but I'm not successful in doing so

Thanks and have a great day!
Are you using a PC or mobile device?

First, you will need to upload the image to a site like Flickr or Photobucket (accounts are free).
Then - on a PC at least - when you click reply, or quote, or quick reply, look at the top of the box where you type your reply. In the line where you bold, italic or underline, look farther right. There is a picture that looks like a postcard with mountains on it. Clicking it will bring a popup asking for the url of your image. If you copy the web address of your photo into that popup, the image should appear in your post.

Last edited by quarkwright; 08-05-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I'm directionally illiterate
quarkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #1319
Woobie
DIS Veteran

On the cups with vinyl, make sure you instruct folks to hand wash only. Also, there are different vinyl types. The outdoor is best for longevity. Oracal 631 is indoor; 651 is outdoor, for example.
Woobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #1320
april1401
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Disney Wonder and part of the FE Gifts for the men, we gave out neckties!!

My son who is 14 just started sewingin January of this year.

A friend of mine who is a seamstress has helped my son

Anyway I have waited and watched over the past several weeks of folks who want ideas or something for the men. Our ties were a hit on our cruise

I was delighted to walk into men wearing my son's ties or even when I was at Shutters there were pics of men (and some boys) who wore his ties in the photos and it warmed my heart.

Disney Magic, July 2004 (Eastern Carribbean)
Disney Wonder, July 2005 and WDW (Caribbean)
Disney Magic, June 2006 (Western Caribbean)
WDW July 2007
Disney Magic, June 2008 (Mexican Riviera)
WDW June 2009
Disney Magic, July 2010 (Repositioning Cruise/Europe)
Disney Fantasy, July 2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Disney Wonder August 2013 (Alaska)
april1401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: