Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #1276
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
Here are the FE Gifts I made. We had over 135 people so it got a little complicated. I also was doing it for two cabins. This was our first Disney Cruise and first cruise in 9 years. It was a lot of fun and I am impressed by all the thoughtful gifts and trinkets we received from everyone. So thank you to everyone who was on our June 29th Eastern Fantasy Cruise FE exchange!

Survival cord Key Fobs for all the adults:

IMG_3227 by brendah2, on Flickr
and Hello Kitty -also showing the backside (the light pink survival cord glows in the dark)

IMG_3222 by brendah2, on Flickr

close up

IMG_3242 by brendah2, on Flickr

Cabin gifts - these had a small first aid kit inside (just some bandaids and a first aid booklet) I covered up the company logo with ribbon from Joann's.

IMG_3491 by brendah2, on Flickr

magnets for the adult men and older boys (12 and up)- a blank magnet is also shown for comparison

IMG_3236 by brendah2, on Flickr

Glass Tile/Pebble necklaces (for all the ladies and girls ages 12 and up)

IMG_3232 by brendah2, on Flickr

IMG_3233 by brendah2, on Flickr

Survival Cord Bracelets for the guys ages 8 to 20- I hope they fit ok!

IMG_3229 by brendah2, on Flickr
and some for both girls and boys

IMG_3219 by brendah2, on Flickr

Treasure boxes for 4 to 7 yr olds

IMG_3234 by brendah2, on Flickr

It did get really complicated and I probably gave some people the wrong stuff because I ended up with extra boxes at the end and I couldn't figure out why. We also had some last minute additions that I tried to catch but we left a week early for 5 days at WDW with no internet access so I missed some posts on our cruise meet thread.

These were the handmade gifts, other things I gave were fuzzy socks, knee high socks, plastic binoculars, bubbles, glow sticks, Hannah Montana and High School Musical pens and stampers, a couple of Disney whiteboards and nightlights, a sheet of Sock Monkey magnets, Star Wars Angry Birds erasers and for the 5 yr old girls, a little handbag.
Any chance you could send me your instructions for the paracord key fobs, or tell me where you found them. I have been searching for instructions for 3 color key fobs, with no luck. I would greatly appreciate it!

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1277
wachnicki
Mouseketeer

Love the treasure boxes!
wachnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #1278
brendah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachnicki View Post
Love the treasure boxes!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmiddy View Post
Any chance you could send me your instructions for the paracord key fobs, or tell me where you found them. I have been searching for instructions for 3 color key fobs, with no luck. I would greatly appreciate it!
Yes! I googled "survival bracelet" when I saw someone in this thread or the previous one saying her son had suggested survival bracelets for the teen boys. I wondered what made it a "survival" bracelet and was amused to find out that among other things, you could use them to make a clothesline- like a clothesline is really necessary for survival, although I guess dry clothes would be.

I started by making the single color and two color bracelets while waiting for the cords I ordered on Ebay to ship from China. I ended up liking the cord from the US better, but the Cheapo Overseas ones were ok in the end. Here are the instructions for the plain two color ones- I googled it since I couldn't find the original instructions I had googled a couple of months ago.http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ival-Bracelet/

For the third color, here is a link to a youtube video by Tying it all Together. I didn't realize this was survival/paracord, although I have been subscribed to this channel for a couple of years now. I kind of guessed at the center part- which is the third color. I made a closed loop with yellow paracord with the ring and charm attached and then melted the red and the black cords together and continued from there. Let me know if you still have questions or want more complete directions, I'd be happy post more information, like how many inches each piece measured but I'm sure yours would take up a different amount depending on how tight you pull the cord to finish it and how long you want the fob to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7TDszlZDBA

I was inspired by a picture I found on Pinterest which led to this Etsy listing:http://www.etsy.com/listing/11912084...earch_type=all

Last edited by brendah; 07-09-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: credited etsy for key fob idea
brendah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #1279
SaraCat
Earning My Ears

I've wanted to share my FE gift for ages but didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone on my cruise....now it's long over I can finally share!!

I made DCL Camera straps :-) People seemed to like them. My hubby gave a download card of his own piano music and we also included cotton scarves.

SaraCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #1280
ksinglet
Oh Yeah - Platinum!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraCat View Post
I've wanted to share my FE gift for ages but didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone on my cruise....now it's long over I can finally share!!

I made DCL Camera straps :-) People seemed to like them. My hubby gave a download card of his own piano music and we also included cotton scarves.
That is great! I would have LOVED one. Do you have instructions on how you made them? Where did you the materials? I have DCL ribbon that I've been making key fobs with, but would love to try this.

99 - Port Orleans & Disney Wonder, 00 - Port Orleans & Disney Wonder, 01 - Port Orleans, 02 - Disney Magic, 03 - Disney Magic, 04 - Disneyland Resort, 05 - Disney Magic, 06 - Disney Magic, 07 - Disney Magic, 08 - Disney Magic, 09 - Saratoga Springs & Disney Magic, 11 - Saratoga Springs & Disney Wonder, 12 - Bay Lake Tower & Disney Fantasy, 13 - B2B Disney Magic, 14 - B2B Disney Magic

[

ksinglet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #1281
missmissy317
Earning My Ears

Quote:

It always amazes me how quickly people steal FE gift ideas and put them on Etsy & Ebay. This popped up on Etsy just a few days ago - the seller is in the UK so I'm guessing she was on your cruise and received one.
missmissy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #1282
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksinglet View Post
That is great! I would have LOVED one. Do you have instructions on how you made them? Where did you the materials? I have DCL ribbon that I've been making key fobs with, but would love to try this.
Me too - me too. I would love to make this for myself and my friends that are cruising with us.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1283
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmissy317 View Post

It always amazes me how quickly people steal FE gift ideas and put them on Etsy & Ebay. This popped up on Etsy just a few days ago - the seller is in the UK so I'm guessing she was on your cruise and received one.
Actually, people have been making custom camera straps on eBay and Etsy for years. This is not a new idea.

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #1284
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
Thank you!

Yes! I googled "survival bracelet" when I saw someone in this thread or the previous one saying her son had suggested survival bracelets for the teen boys. I wondered what made it a "survival" bracelet and was amused to find out that among other things, you could use them to make a clothesline- like a clothesline is really necessary for survival, although I guess dry clothes would be.

I started by making the single color and two color bracelets while waiting for the cords I ordered on Ebay to ship from China. I ended up liking the cord from the US better, but the Cheapo Overseas ones were ok in the end. Here are the instructions for the plain two color ones- I googled it since I couldn't find the original instructions I had googled a couple of months ago.http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ival-Bracelet/

For the third color, here is a link to a youtube video by Tying it all Together. I didn't realize this was survival/paracord, although I have been subscribed to this channel for a couple of years now. I kind of guessed at the center part- which is the third color. I made a closed loop with yellow paracord with the ring and charm attached and then melted the red and the black cords together and continued from there. Let me know if you still have questions or want more complete directions, I'd be happy post more information, like how many inches each piece measured but I'm sure yours would take up a different amount depending on how tight you pull the cord to finish it and how long you want the fob to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7TDszlZDBA

I was inspired by a picture I found on Pinterest which led to this Etsy listing:http://www.etsy.com/listing/11912084...earch_type=all
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'll have to look at it when I get back home, but hopefully I will be able to figure it out. I made bracelets with 3 colors, so it may be similar, just couldn't find instructions for the key fob.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #1285
J A C E
Earning My Ears

My wife and I have been having so much fun making things for our first DCL cruise and FE exchange.
We are getting our groups finalized so we know exactly how many things we need to make.
We are going to have our boys help make the gifts for the other children as well as have them help take things around to the other cabins.
So much fun!

CCL '98, '01, '03, '11
DCL '13, '14 B2B

J A C E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #1286
brendah
Earning My Ears

Quote:

What a great idea! I'm hoping you can post some directions for the camera strap. I also would have loved the original piano music and cotton scarves. Thank you for sharing!
brendah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #1287
ccander2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by modegard View Post
We gave out magnets, calendars, bookmarks, pirate creeds and post cards as some of our homemade FE gifts.

love all the ideas..new to cruising so love seeing what everyone posts
ccander2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #1288
Arkum
Mouseketeer

I made ornaments last year for our cabin gift. I bought the flat clear glass ones, filled them with floor wax, swished it around, dumped it out, added red fine glitter and covered the inside with the glitter. I used my silhouette machine to cut out Mickey ears, the Magic, the date, out of vinyl and adhered them to the front. I added black tulle to form the bow hanger. I placed each one wrapped up in a hard take out style box with anchors in the front. For the teens, I took empty Starbucks frapucino bottles, spray painted the lid, cut out mustaches out of black vinyl and the words "My stache." I filled it with different kinds of mini size candies and tied the tops with tulle. Little kids got pirate bags with compasses, tattoos, eye patches, pirate earrings, candy, lip glosses(girls). I opted not to do it this cruise as we have 16 family members going and so I will just create Tinkerbell packages for all the kids. The last cruise my in-laws didn't participate and my niece kept asking the kids about their surprises and I felt bad as she didn't get anything. Luckily I packed an extra FE gift for her from us.
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #1289
ccander2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkum View Post
I made ornaments last year for our cabin gift. I bought the flat clear glass ones, filled them with floor wax, swished it around, dumped it out, added red fine glitter and covered the inside with the glitter. I used my silhouette machine to cut out Mickey ears, the Magic, the date, out of vinyl and adhered them to the front. I added black tulle to form the bow hanger. I placed each one wrapped up in a hard take out style box with anchors in the front. For the teens, I took empty Starbucks frapucino bottles, spray painted the lid, cut out mustaches out of black vinyl and the words "My stache." I filled it with different kinds of mini size candies and tied the tops with tulle. Little kids got pirate bags with compasses, tattoos, eye patches, pirate earrings, candy, lip glosses(girls). I opted not to do it this cruise as we have 16 family members going and so I will just create Tinkerbell packages for all the kids. The last cruise my in-laws didn't participate and my niece kept asking the kids about their surprises and I felt bad as she didn't get anything. Luckily I packed an extra FE gift for her from us.
Sounds great...would love to see pics if u can post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #1290
ccander2011
Earning My Ears

Can any1 tell me some threads/boards that I can look at pictures of the doors of past cruisers and more FE gifts etc.. I just love seeing all the pictures...Ty friends

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: