Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #1141
pjstevens
Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder for our 25th!
Now the proud grandparents of Isabella Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
She sells other Disney related decals on ebay... not the DCL one.... but she will make them for you.

I will PM u guys tonight (I am at work and cant access home email from here)
would you pm me also this persons ebay info.
Our First Trip HOME (May 09) DFTW VR (Sept 08) Christmas 2007 August 2007
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
pjstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1142
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstevens View Post
I love these, did you say (or would you share) how you made these.
I love them as well and would love some tips.

And for everyone, is there a recommended (good price/quality) source for the frames that I keep seeing everyone paint. I think maybe they are wooden?
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #1143
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
What are the rules for telling people about a website? I don't want to break the rules.

I have a mailing list for crafters where we buy as a group to get wholesale prices on things you'd use to make FE gifts. (ribbon, key fob hardware, bags etc) I won't say the name unless someone says its ok, in the rules. I looked and can't find specific info either way.

Jen
Please email me the link. Thanks !
gina49@mac.com
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #1144
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Would love to know how the coasters were made as well
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #1145
rjlit
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know how the coasters were made??
rjlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #1146
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlit View Post
Don't know if I can paste a link to a Pinterest page, but here is one using Cork coasters. There is also one on there somewhere with tile coasters, if I find it, will pass that on as well.

http://*************.*********/topic/23873#.TyirRSPR2Ho
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #1147
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBelle99 View Post
Don't know if I can paste a link to a Pinterest page, but here is one using Cork coasters. There is also one on there somewhere with tile coasters, if I find it, will pass that on as well.

http://*************.*********/topic/23873#.TyirRSPR2Ho
okay guess not, will try to PM you!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #1148
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBelle99

okay guess not, will try to PM you!
That did not work either. Sorry.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1149
jmrbc9900
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlit View Post
I made them as an Xmas present for family.

Supplies: tile coasters (I used white 3x3, but you could use any size,color, style you want. I've heard the textured ones hold the picture better but i went for the cheapest white ones and they were fine); pictures/prints to put on (I used pictures printed on photo paper); modge podge; foam brush; sealer spray; felt (for the back if u want); straight edge (I used a bamboo chopstick); tacky glue

Process:
1. Wash /dry tiles.
2. Trim picture to fit tiles. I cut mine so they were about 1/4" smaller than tiles on all sides.
3. Using foam brush, coat back of picture with modge podge. (MP). (Don't think it works great with regular paper so I would use at least card stock)
4. Position picture where you want it above tile then lower onto tile. MP dries quick so you won't really be able to move it much after you put it down.
5. Use the chopstick to go across the picture in one direction to push out air bubbles
6. Put a coat of MP on the top (my pictures streaked a little when I did this but it wasn't really noticeable). I ended up putting 2-3 layers of MP on each, letting them dry an hour or so in between each oat
7. Let dry for a day or two.
8. I then sealed mine with acrylic spray sealer. Do this in a well ventilated area!!! I did two coats a couple hours apart. I did it because MP can sometimes be water soluble so I sealed it so they wouldn't get ruined.
9. Trim felt to fit coasters (again I did mine about 1/4" smaller than tile)
10. Line tile underside with tacky glue then lay down felt. I used the bamboo chopstick to seal it better by pushing the chopstick across it in one direction. (Also got out extra glue)

All told took a out 4-5 hours over a couple days to do 20 tiles. Started with a few practice ones that I did full through one at a time. Then when I liked the way they looked and knew what I was doing I set up an assembly line for myself and did them that way.

Cane out pretty good and all recipients loved them and got complements on me.

If you want to paint instead of pictures same process basically. Paint picture,wait to dry, then put down layers of MP then seal after a day.

I had my dd3 paint with acrylic craft paints on some of the Xmas ones too.

Spray sealer smells very strong and lingers for several days so make sure to leave time for them to air out before packaging or you'll be bowled over by the odor when you take them back out (learned that the hard way!)

This is the only crafty thing I can I so if I can do it anyone can. Happy coaster-making!
jmrbc9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #1150
smithzer1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrbc9900 View Post

I made them as an Xmas present for family.

Supplies: tile coasters (I used white 3x3, but you could use any size,color, style you want. I've heard the textured ones hold the picture better but i went for the cheapest white ones and they were fine); pictures/prints to put on (I used pictures printed on photo paper); modge podge; foam brush; sealer spray; felt (for the back if u want); straight edge (I used a bamboo chopstick); tacky glue

Process:
1. Wash /dry tiles.
2. Trim picture to fit tiles. I cut mine so they were about 1/4" smaller than tiles on all sides.
3. Using foam brush, coat back of picture with modge podge. (MP). (Don't think it works great with regular paper so I would use at least card stock)
4. Position picture where you want it above tile then lower onto tile. MP dries quick so you won't really be able to move it much after you put it down.
5. Use the chopstick to go across the picture in one direction to push out air bubbles
6. Put a coat of MP on the top (my pictures streaked a little when I did this but it wasn't really noticeable). I ended up putting 2-3 layers of MP on each, letting them dry an hour or so in between each oat
7. Let dry for a day or two.
8. I then sealed mine with acrylic spray sealer. Do this in a well ventilated area!!! I did two coats a couple hours apart. I did it because MP can sometimes be water soluble so I sealed it so they wouldn't get ruined.
9. Trim felt to fit coasters (again I did mine about 1/4" smaller than tile)
10. Line tile underside with tacky glue then lay down felt. I used the bamboo chopstick to seal it better by pushing the chopstick across it in one direction. (Also got out extra glue)

All told took a out 4-5 hours over a couple days to do 20 tiles. Started with a few practice ones that I did full through one at a time. Then when I liked the way they looked and knew what I was doing I set up an assembly line for myself and did them that way.

Cane out pretty good and all recipients loved them and got complements on me.

If you want to paint instead of pictures same process basically. Paint picture,wait to dry, then put down layers of MP then seal after a day.

I had my dd3 paint with acrylic craft paints on some of the Xmas ones too.

Spray sealer smells very strong and lingers for several days so make sure to leave time for them to air out before packaging or you'll be bowled over by the odor when you take them back out (learned that the hard way!)

This is the only crafty thing I can I so if I can do it anyone can. Happy coaster-making!
Thank-you for sharing!
smithzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #1151
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Could I be added to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
can you please pm me as well? thanks.
I would love it also.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #1152
krosmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
What are the rules for telling people about a website? I don't want to break the rules.

I have a mailing list for crafters where we buy as a group to get wholesale prices on things you'd use to make FE gifts. (ribbon, key fob hardware, bags etc) I won't say the name unless someone says its ok, in the rules. I looked and can't find specific info either way.

Jen
Hello,

Can I please get the name of the site. Kathy
krosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #1153
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
for those who are looking for the DCL logo lady... I want to wait for her OK before I turn her email address over to 22 rabid disney fanatics!

If she's okay, can you add me? Thanks!
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Wonder - February 2016
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1154
Gryffinclaw
Earning My Ears

Thoughts?

Hey all,

I am thinking about making small travel pillows for the kids 10 and under in my FE group using disney fabric and possibly embroidering their names on each. They would be fairly small (12" x 16" a the largest). Thoughts?? I don't want to make them if people wont like them! Thanks for the feedback

Gennie

Gryffinclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #1155
Diane71969
CRUSIN ALONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffinclaw View Post
Hey all,

I am thinking about making small travel pillows for the kids 10 and under in my FE group using disney fabric and possibly embroidering their names on each. They would be fairly small (12" x 16" a the largest). Thoughts?? I don't want to make them if people wont like them! Thanks for the feedback

Gennie
I'm not in your cruise but I think they would love them.

Diane71969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: