Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #451
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcperry View Post
You can print an image on vellum paper and cut it out with a circle cutter and insert that into the ornament, vellum works best because it uncoils nicely. I did something similar for my cousins wedding favors.
We got something like this on our last cruise. It had a picture of the ship, along with the dates, printed on clear paper, cut into a circle and inserted into a small clear glass ornament. Unfortunately, it broke during the packing and travel home (and we were only half hour away). Take this into consideration if it is something breakable.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #452
taximom00
Mouseketeer

Our FE gifts

I think I've figured out how to post photos so here goes:

My daughter and I made bottle cap stuff. We were on the Magic to Canada last week.

For the women we made necklaces:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...FEnecklace.jpg

We were excited to see two girls wearing them one night (OK, their mom's gave them their FE gifts! But nice to see someone wearing our gift!)

For the men we made keychains:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...FEkeychain.jpg

We were on the Canadian cruise and the plaid background is the tartan of Nova Scotia. I found a woman on etsy who believe it or not was from Nova Scotia so she made the image for me!

For the family, we made magnets. You can't really see it on the edges but we dusted them in a fine glitter.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i.../FEmagnets.jpg

My daughter and I had fun making everything! It was an easy craft project for us to do together! And she loved delivering everything!

(I couldn't figure out how to turn the photos around! But the necklace says Keep Calm and Cruise On with a Mickey head)

Last edited by taximom00; 07-20-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added info about necklace!
taximom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #453
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnsuch View Post

Hi there. For those who asked, the key fobs were much easier than I had expected. Using the 7/8" ribbon, I fused it to 1 1/4" webbing with 7/8" Heat n Bond, then stitched along both sides of the ribbon with matching thread on top and webbing colored thread in the bobbin.

Using a rotary blade, I cut the length to 11" and stitched the two sides together 1/4" from the ends. The key fob hardware then clamps to the stitched end covering that stitching. For ease of handling, I worked on sections of 44" at a time.
I just found this ribbon, but have another idea for its use, will post pics when I finish.

Gonna go back to the older threads and see what else inspires me as well!
love280mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #454
cujochurch
Deemed the "World's Greatest Aunt!"

Where did you get the ribbon from?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #455
HopeSparkles
Earned My Ears in 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2PrincessesLinSy View Post
Here are some pictures of the things we got from our Alaskan cruise on the Wonder this August 2011:

Already started on some items for our NYC Magical Cruise
Hello fellow Marylander,
Will you be on the 9/7 or the 9/12 NYC to Canada? I'm actually on all 3 September sailings so I look forward to meeting you

DVC: BLT 2008 then added SSR 2011

HopeSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #456
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Call me clueless, but what's ane FE gift?
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #457
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

Just jumping in to discourage the "minnie" emergency kits or "bare" necessities kit... over half the people in my last cruise did something like this. I think the idea has become really popular. It's a great idea and very cute, but not when half your exchange does it! lol
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13 next trips: Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #458
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
Just jumping in to discourage the "minnie" emergency kits or "bare" necessities kit... over half the people in my last cruise did something like this. I think the idea has become really popular. It's a great idea and very cute, but not when half your exchange does it! lol

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #459
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
Call me clueless, but what's ane FE gift?
I tried to send a llink but it wouldn't go through. This article was posted today. Go to Facebook, then find Chip and Co. It explains about the Fish Extender. Written by my TA.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #460
SeeJennyCruise
Mouseketeer

Almost four year and 249 + 31 pages of incredible and creative ideas

Wow, I've been reading almost everynight for a week I finally made it through all 249 pages of the 1st Homemade FE thread and have completed all 31 pages on this thread. I have made a list to refer back to and have explored sewing and embroidery machines based on you amazingly creative and talented folks.

The first posts on the original thread were begun in October 2008. I feel like I have completed a six week sewing or craft course. I've scanned a hundred pictures, at least, and have learned so much. I'm still not sure of my primary FE gift, but I know is won't be a minnie emergency or bare necessities "kits".

Three of our sons, two DIL's, and two grandsons, will be with us on our first Disney cruise, so we will have at least three different FE gifts to post when we return. I've already seen some of our fellow cruisers posting on this and the original thread, so I'll likely wait until we return in October to post pictures.

Just can't help but say it again, wow!

SeeJennyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #461
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

Sorry all! I just saw the posts about the passport cover tutorial not working - that is so weird. I can;t get into it now either. Maybe all you DIS crafters were crashing the blog and she added a password! HA! Who knows...

anyway, I found this one. Pretty close. Dimensions slightly different - you still start with a 6in x 12 in rectangle (same as other). the only difference in the one i made was that one side you fold in 1.75 inches, the other side 2.25 inches.

Let me know if you have questions!

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2011/...rial-from.html

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #462
Dream_2011
Mouseketeer

Fish extender

Just want to share this Facebook group of fish extender

3/12 Disney Fantasy
3/11 Disney Dream
12/09 Disney Wonder
4/07 Disney Magic
2/06 Disney Magic
2/05 Disney Wonder

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...4s2kngmz36.png
Dream_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #463
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

concerned about theft on ship, awful, i know, but something to consider.

Many people are saying they use the plastic ties to tie on the fish extenders, but if there's ribbon too, can't someone just cut through the ribbon if they want it bad enough?

People are just too callous these days and even on a Dis ship you can't be sure. Just hope none of our gifts mysteriously walk away either.

any other ideas of how to really secure the fe? guess you could put the strap tie through the fabric itself somehow.
love280mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #464
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post

Many people are saying they use the plastic ties to tie on the fish extenders, but if there's ribbon too, can't someone just cut through the ribbon if they want it bad enough?

People are just too callous these days and even on a Dis ship you can't be sure. Just hope none of our gifts mysteriously walk away either.

any other ideas of how to really secure the fe? guess you could put the strap tie through the fabric itself somehow.
I zip tie the FE but only through the ribbon. I doubt someone would want my personalized FE. But I have heard of some people putting gifts in then the recipients saying the never got them. Very sad. We don't want to have to check it every hour for gifts. Suggestions?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #465
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post

It's funny you said this because I thought the same thing. I assumed I was being overly paranoid and didn't say anything.

But, for my solution, instead of using a dowel in the top pocket, I used a stiff piece of plastic tubing (plumbing supplies) cut to the width of the FE so it doesn't show on either side. I put that in the place the dowel would normally go and then threaded some colored 12 gauge wire (jewelry making supplies) through it and will use that as the hanging part and zip tie it to the fish. Where the wire connects to itself will be inside the tube. Someone would need to either spend some time or have wire cutters to get it off.

Like I said, probably paranoid and overly cautious on my part, but mine is Mickey themed and not personalized.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: