Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

Ok, So I'm crazy!

I just booked a last minute cruise on the Wonder out of Miami on the 12th of this month. I'm sailing in 10 days. My BF is done with school and I can make up my 2 missed days from work on the following weekend.

The problem comes from the fact that I don't know how to plan for this trip in 10 days. I've already been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel so I've done what I really wanted to do in those places. I did the bus tour and saw the turtle farm in Grand Cayman. In Cozumel we took the boat to the mainland and visited the Tulum ruins. What else is there to do in these ports?

I was looking at the Disney excursions and they don't sound very interesting. I'm from Miami so a day at the beach, dolphins, turtles, sailings, etc. doesn't really interest me. I can do that any day of the week.

I was wondering if it was possible to just get off the boat in Cozumel and walk around the island and visit local places and stuff. Has anyone here done it? Is it safe? Is there anything interesting to see in Cozumel? We speak fluent Spanish so that won't be an issue. That's also why those "cultural" tours don't interest us either. We know Mexican culture so we don't really need a guided tour of a tourist trap with fake natives weaving baskets and stuff. I sort of want to experience a bit of the real Mexico on my own. But like I said, I don't know if it is safe or if there's anything to do. We walked around the main streets of Nassau by ourselves and didn't feel too scared. Is Cozumel better or worse?

Any recommendations on what to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel without doing a group excursion?
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Savikins
DIS Veteran

I'll be on the same sailing as you!

Also, you're totally not crazy... Well maybe not that crazy! I booked my first Disney cruise 4 days in advance.

You can totally just walk around Cozumel and explore. It's a pretty safe place, just keep your eyes peeled and your wallets secure of course. My bosses at a previous job were frequent cruisers and loved walking around Cozumel. I've walked around Cozumel with my friend and his family while I visited on my RCCL cruise in May 2013.

Comparatively, violent crimes rates in Nassau are FAR higher than those in Cozumel.
Savikins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
soniam
Mouseketeer

Walking or taking a cab to shopping in Cozumel is great. Lots of nifty junk to look at.

WDW- 3/2015 (Port Orleans Riverside), 7/2014 (Polynesian), 6/2012 (Polynesian), DL- 6/2013, Universal- 3/2015 (Royal Pacific)
DCL- 8/2014 (7 night Fantasy WC Itinerary C), RCCL- 2/2010 (7 night Voyager WC), 4/2003 (7 night Voyager WC), 4/1998 (7 night Enchantment EC)
soniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Ben there, done that!!!! You are not crazy!!

Cozumel is fine to walk around in or take a cab somewhere local. We have done this a few times. There are several blocks around the port where you can walk and shop or eat. I would not venture too far off the beaten path but walking on your own can be fun and interesting.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
BrookeMQ
Mouseketeer

A lot of people seem to like a cooking tour/excursion in Cozumel. i don't have the info. Maybe someone here can post it. I just remember reading good reviews of it.

Does disney offer the underground secret river tour in cozumel. That looks really cool.

Grand Cayman is easy to do on your own. We did sample the rum cakes at the tortoga factory.

You could always stay on ship at one of the ports and have it all to yourself.
BrookeMQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Quellman
Donald Duck

Don't force yourself to get off the boat. It can be a great place when everyone is gone!
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCL Fantasy BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Belle612
Earning My Ears

We just did the 7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy over the summer, and we HATED Cozumel. We did not like our excursion at all (speed boat beach escape) and we did not like the port either. We had planned to stay on the ship at one port, and we chose Grand Cayman, but if I could go back and do it again I would stay on the ship at Cozumel.

When we stayed on the ship at Grand Cayman it was AMAZING. We had the adult pool and Cove Cafe to ourselves, we rode the Aquaduck with a 5 minute wait, and we got beautiful views of the port from the ship. I would highly recommend staying on the ship at Cozumel to enjoy low crowds, "free" food and all of the amenities the ship has to offer.

Oct 2001 - Contemporary / Apr 2005 - Contemporary / Aug 2007 - Contemporary / March 2009 - Pop Century / March 2010 - Boardwalk Inn / Spring 2011 DCP Mission Space CM! / Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs / Oct 2011 - Coronado Springs / Jan 2012 - Beach Club / June 2012 - Yacht Club / Oct 2012 - Beach Club / Dec 2012 - Coronado Springs / Jan 2013 - Grand Floridian / March 2013 - Art of Animation / July 2013 - Beach Club / March 2014 - Yacht Club / Oct 2014 - Doubletree Suites DTD

Jan 2014 - My Bachelorette Party - Villas at Wilderness Lodge!

July 2014 - OUR DISNEYMOON! Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club & Contemporary

Belle612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I really would feel guilty if I didn't get off the ship on at least one of the ports. Plus, my bf always has to keep busy so I'm sure he couldn't spend the whole 5 days on the ship just lounging around without going crazy. I was planning on skipping Grand Cayman because of the tendering and since we've already walked around the port area and took a tour of the island I think we've seen all that might interest us. Cozumel I did want to see because like I said, last time we went directly to the mainland and then got back on the ship. We didn't have time to explore anything on our own.

Anywhoo, now that the initial shock of booking last minute has gone away and I've had time to calm down I've done some googling and it does seem pretty safe to just get off the ship and walk around. From what I've read all I have to worry about is drinking the water and pickpockets. I read that Disney docks at Punta Langosta and I looked up some pics and it looks nice enough. A little "tourist trappy" but I can live with that. I'm sure it'll at least kill a few hours and keep the bf happy. I don't know if I'll be brave enough to venture a little further out but we'll see once we are there and get a feel for the place.
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: