Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Recommendation for underwater camera for discovery cove use

Any recommendations for a lower end underwater camera? I have found a few on Amazon. Looking for something around $100 and I don't care if it only lasts for this trip...just want something to take decent underwater pics. Anyone use the disposable underwater cameras? Should I just get a few of those and hope for the best lol?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

Took this with a Target 'one time' underwater camera (then developed and scanned)

About $20 for 50 exposures plus processing .... and post scan is on you (or pay processor to just go digital)

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
greenclan67
Callie35

We bought one when we were in Florida a few weeks ago for the same reason to go to Discovery Cove. We bought the Kodak Play Sport. Underwater up to 10 ft and it is awesome for any kind of picture. It also has the Share application on it!
I will try to copy and paste a picture of it for you or the link. We got it at Target for $139.00 and we went back to pick one up for our friends and they told us at two different targets that it was a great camera.
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.169976100

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

I would not get a disposable one, the pictures I took with mine were not that great while the ones I took with my Lumix underwater camera came out really nice. I would suggest investing in a decent one, you can get those Kodak sport ones for around 100 on sale many times. It will make a world of difference if you have really nice pictures instead of so so ones when you get home.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the Lumix and Kodak one!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

It you are considering spending $100 for something that takes a "decent" photo that may not last the entire trip; why not consider a few more dollars and look at the Go Pro line. http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-surf-edition/

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Zim
Meow meow

When these waterproof Kodak cameras came out about this time last year:

EasyShare Sport I got one for my beau who was being sent overseas and would be a few hours from crystal waters.

It's amazing for the price. Not only does it capture underwater still shots, but has a movie function and with a USB card slot, you can collect lots of photo and video. The video is also a wmf format. MUCH better than my Canon's crummy Quicktime format, for which I'm not willing to buy extra software to use.

The quality of this camera for the price has been more than worth it. This past November during Old Navy's Black Friday deals, their special freebie for for the first few shoppers was one of these cameras.... needless to say we were first in line and camped out for 4 hours to get them.

I can't say enough, my boyfriend let it sit for a while, but he finally realized that it wasn't just a crummy cheap camera and now he takes it to all beach excursions and waterparks. It's very hearty so even the older kids can use it in the water.

Keep a lookout on prices, when they first came out I think they were about $75... now I'm seeing prices of $100+ - check out Kodak's site too for pricing.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Zim
Meow meow

Yep - here is Kodak's link, which doesn't automatically popup right now because it's out of stock... but don't go for the $120 markup on Amazon! Maybe see when they'll have in stock again or a store selling them at the right price

Kodaks EasyShare Sport waterproof
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reviews and links! I wound up getting a refurbished Kodak ^ posted above.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
bas71873
DIS Veteran

subbing...considering purchasing one for our trip in August

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

I used the Kodak posted above http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.222433400 before our trip to test it out. It dies after the first pool use! Very disappointed!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Zim
Meow meow

I'm so sorry to hear that - we've used ours at HRH pool, Sea World and several water parks and it's still kickin'. Any chance you can return to Kodak for a refund? I would think you got a lemon or something!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
bas71873
DIS Veteran

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix S30 underwater camera from Amazon for under $100 and used it yesterday. Takes great pictures and is still working. Can't wait to use it next week on our trip.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that - we've used ours at HRH pool, Sea World and several water parks and it's still kickin'. Any chance you can return to Kodak for a refund? I would think you got a lemon or something!
I was planning on it until one of the kids accidentally knocked it off the table and broke the battery/memory card door It was a refurb...I wonder if that had anything to do with it not working well.) BTW, the pics I did get with it turned out great!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson96 View Post
I would not get a disposable one, the pictures I took with mine were not that great while the ones I took with my Lumix underwater camera came out really nice. I would suggest investing in a decent one, you can get those Kodak sport ones for around 100 on sale many times. It will make a world of difference if you have really nice pictures instead of so so ones when you get home.
Can I ask what model you have? I'm considering the TS20 and would love to get your input!

I'm also looking at the Olympus TG310 or TG610. Would love some feedback if anyone has one!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood

Last edited by Jenny3; 08-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: