Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Sorry, saw the thread title and had to check it out.

Every time I see those threads I think about someone I knew whose son came out to them when he was a teenager. The mom IMMEDIATELY started planning a trip to WDW during Gay Days. Poor kid, he comes out, expects shock and awe, but no, his parents use it as an excuse to make an extra trip to WDW on the premise that he would get to hang out with a bunch of Gay role models at the park.

That's a Disney-addicted family right there, ya'll.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post

Every time I see those threads I think about someone I knew whose son came out to them when he was a teenager. The mom IMMEDIATELY started planning a trip to WDW during Gay Days. Poor kid, he comes out, expects shock and awe, but no, his parents use it as an excuse to make an extra trip to WDW on the premise that he would get to hang out with a bunch of Gay role models at the park.

That is an awesome story .
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousejunkie98 View Post
That thread is so absurd. Why must idiots give us Disneyphiles a bad name? When we were on our honeymoon (pre-PhotoPass photographers) the only people kind enough to stop and take our picture was a lovely gay couple. When we took their picture in return, this ignorant word-that-starts-with-B-and-rhymes-with-witch actually had the nerve to chew me out for "encouraging their lewd behavior." Apparently two men posing in front of the castle was a shocking, horrifying thing for her future bigot children to see
I am not gay myself, but would happily take a photo for anyone that asked, regardless of sexual orientation, hair color, skin color, ethnicity, etc. - and if some idiot tried to step in and chew me out for that? I would go postal and put them right in their place. How dare ANYONE try to "step in" and "correct" you!!! Oh that makes me so mad.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
CourtFool
A Mouse in Llama Clothing

This hypocrisy is maddening. And don't get me started on the whole 'gay agenda' meme. Like these people don't have their own agenda they are trying to force on others.
Disneyland November 1988
CourtFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:

That is a fantastic story. As long as we keep our priorities straight, we'll all be fine.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
SwirlyGirly
Mouseketeer

So funny you just activated my asthma from laughter-overload.

Quote:

SwirlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Just noticed the threat title and had to check things out. Read the thread that prompted this, too.

I think the whole "controversy" is ridiculous. I've never been to a Gay Days - we like to travel during the first week of December for all the Christmas stuff. But never in a million years would I consider avoiding the parks because of them. If anything it'd be a cool bonus, and I'd be counting red shirts.

I used to take my kids to our town's Gay Pride parade every year. Unlike Disney, these aren't always "family friendly". But in the event a couple folks got carried away and started molesting each other in the crowd, I just moved the kids along without comment. They never noticed a thing, any more than they ever noticed the girl with her skirt hiked way up "sitting" on her boyfriend's lap in other venues.

Now my kids are a couple of teenagers who don't seem to have been damaged by regular exposure to the "gay agenda". They don't drink, they're not having sex, they're not using drugs, and they maintain reasonable grades in school. My daughter cried when she read that Rolling Stones article about "The War on Gay Kids" and then forwarded it to everyone she knew. My son, for his part, once tried (sadly, without success) to get gay slurs banned from the playground of his middle school. His teacher read his rant on the subject ("You don't know who's gay, and even if you did, it's not like it's something they chose to be!") to the entire Grade 6 class. I'm proud of my kids!

Anyway, just wanted to say that not all us white, Christian, heterosexual family types would cringe away from someone in a red shirt, or hassle a photographer taking a picture of a couple guys. Peace!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #23
SilverSynchro919
Who needs a Pal Mickey when I'm around? =P

The most recent argument about a "Straight Days" really grinds my gears...people that try to use the reverse discrimination-esque arguments don't seem to understand that there is no such thing. The definition of discrimination is harassment of a minority or marginalized group. You can't be racist to a white person (nor sexist to a man, bigoted toward a straight/cisgender person, etc.) because they are a place of power and privilege. People were all up in arms about the one poster's comment about every day being a white, straight, male, and Christian day, but it's the truth. While there are always many people of different races, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, religious affiliations, belief system, etc., in the parks, the VAST majority of people are white, straight, cisgender, and are of some denomination of the Christian faith.

Grrr. That whole thread makes me so angry.

DM DF irate: Me (22) DB (16) and Luna
SilverSynchro919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
CdnKayDee
Kim & Danelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSynchro919 View Post
The most recent argument about a "Straight Days" really grinds my gears...people that try to use the reverse discrimination-esque arguments don't seem to understand that there is no such thing. The definition of discrimination is harassment of a minority or marginalized group. You can't be racist to a white person (nor sexist to a man, bigoted toward a straight/cisgender person, etc.) because they are a place of power and privilege. People were all up in arms about the one poster's comment about every day being a white, straight, male, and Christian day, but it's the truth. While there are always many people of different races, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, religious affiliations, belief system, etc., in the parks, the VAST majority of people are white, straight, cisgender, and are of some denomination of the Christian faith.

Racism is not racist to those who want to be racist. Sexism is not sexist. Bigotry does not practice bigotry. All these qualities ask is that you discriminate against one another. Discrimination is one who does not discriminate. Any and all are welcome to this club.
CdnKayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #25
trimmtrabb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSynchro919 View Post

Yeah, thats the most frustrating argument. It's borderline non-sequitur, and I wonder if the people making it really think it makes sense. I can't imagine they find it convincing if they reflect upon it. Essentially, the argument he's making is that the REAL problem is society frowning upon heterosexuality, and privileging homosexuality. Really.

It's pretty absurd, but sadly a very common way of looking at it. Ah, well... It's a great big beautiful tomorrow, at least.

Last edited by trimmtrabb; 06-13-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: .
trimmtrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Hi there saw the title and just had to read. I have never gotten the whole "gay days" panic some people get. My family has been to WDW many times during Gay Days and really it has been no different than any other time of the year. I actually prefer it over teenage tour group time. AS for the sex in the bathroom I was on the CP a million years ago and you would not believe the places in WDW that CP kids have found to do the deed. The OP of that thread may never go back if she knew!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

I choice to ignor all the negativity as I feel it just gives them power over me. Most would not even know I am Gay. My relationship of Almost 25 years has lasted longer than many Hetro marrages. I live my life and let them freak out but refuse to give my Power over to them.

That being said we have never had any issues when visited any Disney properties.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, that is so me! My daughter came out one NYE and I was so upset that we couldn't make it to Gay Days in Orlando this year! But I'm really going to try to get us to GD in Anaheim.

Okay, my two cents:

I have never seen a same sex couple making out on any Disney property. I have, however seen some incredibly inappropriate PDA by hetero couples. After walking out of Innoventions one afternoon I turned to go into the bathroom there and a pair of teenagers were practically engaged in the act on a bench with their parents not 5 feet away. Honestly I'm not sure how they were breathing. That's not something I want my kid to see, hell, it's not something I want to see, regardless of the genders of the participants.

Also, there is nothing wrong with appropriate PDA. Handholding, a peck on the cheek or the mouth, there's nothing wrong with that in any way, from anyone. If your kid sees someone kissing their significant other and asks you why those two men are kissing or why those two women are kissing, it's up to you how to answer that question. It's not the responsibility of the people around you to change their perfectly appropriate behavior to suit your inability to explain life to your kids.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
pixielizzie
dreaming of the Wonder!

Militant

This bothers me. Its like whenever we want equal rights, we are being extreme!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixielizzie View Post
This bothers me. Its like whenever we want equal rights, we are being extreme!
Honey, if you're a woman you should be used to this. If we complain about the treatment we receive from others we're being "hysterical", if we demand that our rights be respected we're being "militant". It ain't right, so we need to change it, but it's an uphill battle.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: