Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #31
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

The top NCO's within the last few years. My brother within the last five years, since he just retired. I am sure if dug back into the deep recesses in my mind, I could come up with more examples. I just don't agree with your blanket statement that a degree is now required. It is just not true. What about plumbers and electricians? They enjoy quite lucrative careers without a degree. In addition a good carpenter or cabinet maker (not talking production line one) enjoy good careers too.

I get frustrated with the attitude of in order to be successful you must have a degree.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienrottweiler7 View Post
also i like the hour for disney simply because i can get an education in buisness since i would be done by 1 everyday..
There's a possible answer for you.

It seems you have a plan.

It's always good to have a plan.

Take the job that allows you the time to get your education. The education will help you move up in whichever company.

Congratulations on being wanted by both!
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Geez, by the comments on this you would think the op was asking for the best way to collect welfare, not a job selection. Some people just feel the need to be cruel to make themselves feel better.

OP, go with your gut. Which interview were you the most comfortable with? I've read some things that Disney is very difficult to work for, but that is just some things that I read at a time that I was considering moving to FL. There are many companies that will only consider employees for open positions & even will assist you with furthering your education. Good Luck.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #34
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxdogy View Post
The top NCO's within the last few years. My brother within the last five years, since he just retired. I am sure if dug back into the deep recesses in my mind, I could come up with more examples. I just don't agree with your blanket statement that a degree is now required. It is just not true. What about plumbers and electricians? They enjoy quite lucrative careers without a degree. In addition a good carpenter or cabinet maker (not talking production line one) enjoy good careers too.

I get frustrated with the attitude of in order to be successful you must have a degree.
If you read my response You would have seen a I said at least an AD or certificate which is what a plumber or electrician needs. And especially in the electrician area they almost all have AD's. Factory workers where my DH works don't even get hired without some college, most at least an AD.

I agree not everyone needs a BS and we do need people to do trades BUT even the trades now need some training or college. And yes they make a good living but they had to continue their education past high school.

I think it is misleading to have someone believe they can start out handing out towels and in this day and age be able to rise to a high position in a company without going to school, Especially a big company like Disney.
Hannathy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
What a dumb thing to say! This is a real job and it is always much easier to move up if you actually have a foot in the door.

Where do you work again?
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #36
LivingtheWDWdream
Dreamin of Disney!

OP- are you sure that your hours at Disney are fixed hours? The reason I ask is if its an hourly role at least in my experience working for the company I have always had a rotating schedule. My father also works for the company and is full time custodial, his hours rotate but when he bids gets preference of # of days, days, nights and preferred hours among those options, as well as preference for days off. Its then filled based on senority.

I am not full time and I have open availability so my days rotate even more then his do. So I would verify that they are guaranteeing you specific hours. I'm only going based on my own experience and my fathers experience so maybe that role is different.

In terms which I would choose, I have seen a person start on the college program, do an professional internship, get hired part time, go full time, and move into a management position in less then a year, others I have seen take much longer as it all depends on what role they are trying to move up to. So advancing at Disney is possible it just takes hard work, dedication, and patience.

I know someone who works at Universal and I don't hear him complain often about his job, but while laid back and seeming less busy might be a plus, I prefer it being busier, and more structured because I'm Type A personality.

One thing I would consider before I took either is how far they are from your home, and how much commuting to either would cost you, how much time would it take you to get there etc. That way you can judge which would be easiest to get to, will put less wear and tear on your car, cost less tolls, gas, etc wise.

I did see mention a comment about being prevented from being hired for turning down a position, its possible, Disney does have a system set up for rehires, so it might put a time limit on when you would be able to apply again, but it might not permanently prevent you from being rehired. If you take the job though, and you decide its not for you, make sure you leave the company professionally, give proper notice, leave on good terms, no points, no reprimands etc because if you are terminated or have blemishes on your record card that could prevent you from rehire.

Not sure what Universal's hiring/rehire policy is, so can't give you tips for that.

Good Luck deciding.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
JEmaryland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
And how long ago did these people do this? Today the chances you will even be hired with out at least a AD or certificate program are slim.

Yes you used to be able to do it.

I do know that Disney wants you to have a degree. I know someone who was told by Disney they could go no higher because they didn't have their degree and if they were being hired today they never would have been.
I was hired at a well known, Fortune 100 company two years ago and within a year was promoted to a supervisory role in one of their corporate offices. I don't have a degree. You don't "know for a fact".
JEmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I believe that a degree or some type of advanced training can open more doors. It certainly isn't strictly necessary everywhere though.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Just remember who is # 1 on Fortune 100 (or 500) lists

1. Wal-Mart Stores $219,812.0 (revenue in millions)
2. Exxon Mobil $191,581.0
3. General Motors $177,260.0
4. Ford Motor $162,412.0
5. Enron $138,718.0
6. General Electric $125,913.0
7. Citigroup $112,022.0
8. ChevronTexaco $99,699.0
9. Intl. Business Machines $85,866.0
10. Philip Morris $72,944.0
11. Verizon Communications $67,190.0
12. American Intl. Group $62,402.0
13. American Electric Power $61,257.0
14. Duke Energy $59,503.0
15. AT&T $59,142.0
16. Boeing $58,198.0
17. El Paso $57,475.0
18. Home Depot $53,553.0
19. Bank of America Corp. $52,641.0
20. Fannie Mae $50,803.0
21. J.P. Morgan Chase $50,429.0
22. Kroger $50,098.0
23. Cardinal Health $47,947.6
24. Merck $47,715.7
25. State Farm Insurance $46,705.2
26. CenterPoint Energy $46,225.8
27. SBC Communications $45,908.0
28. Hewlett-Packard $45,226.0
29. Morgan Stanley $43,727.0
30. Dynegy $42,242.0
31. McKesson $42,010.0
32. Sears Roebuck $41,078.0
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #40
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEmaryland View Post
I was hired at a well known, Fortune 100 company two years ago and within a year was promoted to a supervisory role in one of their corporate offices. I don't have a degree. You don't "know for a fact".
I do know for a fact at least for 1 person at Disney that they were told they could go no further since they did not have their degree and if they had been hired today they would not have been promoted to as high of a managerial position as they were. This was at Disney in Florida.

I'm not disputing you it does happen sometimes at other places, but not usually and who are you supervising? can you go higher? and do you have no additional training past hs?
Hannathy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
JEmaryland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
I do know for a fact at least for 1 person at Disney that they were told they could go no further since they did not have their degree and if they had been hired today they would not have been promoted to as high of a managerial position as they were. This was at Disney in Florida.

I'm not disputing you it does happen sometimes at other places, but not usually and who are you supervising? can you go higher? and do you have no additional training past hs?
I can tell you that I do not work for Walmart. The company I work for does not have retail establishments. I supervise business to business sales and customer service employees. I can and will go higher. And I most likely do have more experience than the OP, but you have to start somewhere.
JEmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEmaryland View Post
I agree, it depends on the position you're going for but it's not always necessary.

My Sr VP told me he never stepped foot into a college. He started working for the company right out of high school and he's in his 30s.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #43
dimimi
DIS Veteran

If you can, I suggest talking to people who work for both.

The last time we went to Orlando we stayed at Universal. I know the hotel desk clerk came from Disney because he thought Universal had a better package. I believe he had a college degree.

I also agree with the other poster. I would practice writing correctly. On your job you might need to write something and you want to be proficient in what you write. I realize spelling is not important on the Dis Boards, but typically, practice helps with your abilities. (Can you tell I am a teacher.)

Good luck with your choice. It is obvious you are motivated to succeed and that means a lot! Congratulations and be happy that you have 2 choices!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #44
alienrottweiler7
Earning My Ears

thank you everyone for the amazing suggestions. as of today im honestly leaning towards disney because of education. btw both jobs are 25 to 30 minutes away. at either job i dont want to be laid back i like to work hard and do a good job at that imo. also the hours are 5 am to 1 at the wilderness lodge because it pool cleaning and that is done in the morning before the pool is open at i think 7 and i just maintain it every day until 1. my dad was telling me that a great reason disney is good is because the amount of hotels they have so that leaves more room for other job oppurtunitys. im not going to lie i loved the lady who interviewed me at HR. she was very nice and seemed to really want me on her team. keep in miind that i only been to the casting center and did not meet my co workers or bosses yet so im a little nervous about that lol. but ive been to both hotels in the past many times and stopped by the Wl 2 days ago to see the employees but it was late so no pool attendants. i really appreciate all the helpful things you guys have all said and please the more suggestions the better :D
alienrottweiler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #45
alienrottweiler7
Earning My Ears

oh and btw my dad didnt go to colledge and he is the boss of 12 action gator tire companys and one of them is the AAA car care center in front of magic kingdom. and my best friends dad is a highly paid manager for 3 disney hotels and didnt go as well. if you work hard and put years in a company and get trust you can move up just as fast. companys just prefer a degree. you can live a good life without one its whatever you prefer and what job your goiong into. sorry i needed to clear that up
alienrottweiler7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, hard rock, job, universal, wilderness lodge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: