Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1246
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

My DBro and his family are at the Dolphin. They arrived yesterday. He was at the Grotto pool today and texted that it was in excellent condition. His only disappointment was his room at the Dolphin. He said it really needed updating. It was quite worn in his opinion.

They tried to reserve the Swan back in the spring when booking their dates but it was filled so they went to the Dolphin.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #1247
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

Arriving Monday for OUR Bday!
Hate to hear this about the "worn" rooms. I thought they had done a refurb not long ago. Do they now have "flat-screen" tvs? Also, what brand of coffee machine do they have in the rooms now. Thanks!

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1248
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Minnie View Post
Arriving Monday for OUR Bday!
Hate to hear this about the "worn" rooms. I thought they had done a refurb not long ago. Do they now have "flat-screen" tvs? Also, what brand of coffee machine do they have in the rooms now. Thanks!
I have stayed at the Swan on our last several stays. I have never had a worn room. We had flat screen TV. We don't use the coffee pot so I haven't paid attention to it. I like going to the Lobby Bar in the morning for our coffee.

Don't hesitate asking for a room change if you are not happy with it. I have always found the CMs willing to accomodate if they can.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1249
kandb
DIS Veteran

I checked out the pool today, it was early this morning and the water was very clear and the pool "looked" fine. Regarding the rooms, it's really the bathroom that is dated, the tile is the old fashioned white and it's blackened in some areas where there is grout. We also had to call the front desk because our sink wouldn't go down and when you take a shower the water stays in the bathtub. The other thing I noticed is that the hallway carpeting doesn't seem to get vacuumned. It's a darker blue and there is always pieces of white paper and other items on it. I really don't think they have vacumned it since we are here. The health clubs in the hotel is very nice and the workers are very nice. Not crazy about Picabu since they automatically add 18% service charge to whatever you buy. The other day I got a container of fruit and a beverage (just grab and go) and they still charge you 18% service charge. It's kind of expensive. Try bringing drinks and snacks because the prices are outrageous. The coffee in the room is starbucks and it is a large pod that fills one cup. The coffee is VERY strong. It seems like the pods are really big for one cup. It really is a nice resort, it is growing on me, the friendship boat is great and location can't be beat.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1250
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Hey, AlabamaMinnie, we're headed down next Friday for MY birthday (late)--it's the 25th. Hope you have a great one, and if you see me hanging out around the Dolphin Saturday in my Bama Mickey shirt, say hi!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #1251
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
......Not crazy about Picabu since they automatically add 18% service charge to whatever you buy. The other day I got a container of fruit and a beverage (just grab and go) and they still charge you 18% service charge. It's kind of expensive. Try bringing drinks and snacks because the prices are outrageous....
18% or 13%? It had been 13%. Has it been increased to 18%?

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #1252
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

kandb: Thanks for the coffee info. I had some Emerils leftover from RPH but I think it is for a Krueig. I might look for some extra milder "pods" to take.

cgattis: DH and My Bday is the 24th. We are only staying 3 nights so we will probably be gone before you arrive though. I just bought the DGS, due in Dec., a couple to Alabama Mickey onesies today. ROLL TIDE!!

Maybe we will get "lucky" again this visit with the room. We did in 2009. It was also the year that you got in "free" on your birthday (x2).

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #1253
peaches00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I checked out the pool today, it was early this morning and the water was very clear and the pool "looked" fine. Regarding the rooms, it's really the bathroom that is dated, the tile is the old fashioned white and it's blackened in some areas where there is grout. We also had to call the front desk because our sink wouldn't go down and when you take a shower the water stays in the bathtub. The other thing I noticed is that the hallway carpeting doesn't seem to get vacuumned. It's a darker blue and there is always pieces of white paper and other items on it. I really don't think they have vacumned it since we are here. The health clubs in the hotel is very nice and the workers are very nice. Not crazy about Picabu since they automatically add 18% service charge to whatever you buy. The other day I got a container of fruit and a beverage (just grab and go) and they still charge you 18% service charge. It's kind of expensive. Try bringing drinks and snacks because the prices are outrageous. The coffee in the room is starbucks and it is a large pod that fills one cup. The coffee is VERY strong. It seems like the pods are really big for one cup. It really is a nice resort, it is growing on me, the friendship boat is great and location can't be beat.
Wait...they charge a service charge for stuff you just take out of a case. What? How does that make any sense? What if you refuse? I am an excellent tipper, always go over 20% but this doesn't make sense.

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #1254
peaches00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wait...they charge a service charge for stuff you just take out of a case. What? How does that make any sense? What if you refuse? I am an excellent tipper, always go over 20% but this doesn't make sense.

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #1255
my2ms0205
Mouseketeer

Do you have to be a guest of the Swan or Dolphin to rent the swan boats? We are eating at Kimono's and I'd love to take my dd on the boats beforehand.
thanks!

12/2008: All Star Sports, 12/2010: CBR
10/2011: Dolphin, 10/2012: CSR, 12/2012: Swan
10/2013: CBR, 6/2014: POR
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #1256
kandb
DIS Veteran

I got a large container of fruit and a drink. When I paid at the register, they added on a service charge. I told the cashier, I was just taking the items "to go" and not even sitting down and she said everything has a service charge. I thought it was 18% but maybe I was mistaken as to the percentage. Make sure if you have a AAA card to bring it because at least they give 20 percent off.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #1257
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches00 View Post
Yes. The charge is added automatically. It is a separate charge from any tip you choose to leave - different line on the the receipt for a tip. Similar arrangement as at Pepper Market at Coronado Springs. Can't refuse to pay it. Just have to eat somewhere else if you don't want to pay the service charge.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1258
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

Just returned from our first stay at the Dolphin. Had a nice visit. Only issue we had was that we requested a late check-out and were told 12:30 would be fine. When my husband went back to the room after finishing his work at the conference he was attending to change into park clothes, the room had been cleared out and his stuff was in lost and found. Apparently housekeeping had not been informed that we had a late checkout. Lost about 1/2 an hour trying to track the stuff down. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1259
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I'll be at the Swan in 2 days! I love the resort, but have never been fond of Picabu - even before they added the service charge. I just avoid it.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #1260
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I do like Picabu, and do not mind the 13% addon, if eating there. I just adjust my tip accordingly. But, I do object to adding the service charge on if just picking something for takeout. That is like getting charged a service charge at a 7-11.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: