Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #1201
GC&S
DIS Veteran
 
GC&S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,039

I just talked with Julie at the Swan and she stated the Grotto pool will be open the rest of 2012. She stated the health club is going under renovations and will be closed during our stay (10-10/10-17). I asked her to please check with a manager and she put me on hold for quite a while and stated she was talking with operations manager who confirmed to her that pool will be open during our stay.
__________________
mom to a beautiful dd - 10 yr old
20th trip to WDW - 10/12
GC&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #1202
madge
... is soaking in it
 
madge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I will arrive at the Swan on 9/25, but the pool closure will have no effect on me. I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times since 2000, but I have never used any of the pools. I'm a park gal!
holy cow ... are we both going to be there at the same time, after all these years?
__________________

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #1203
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
holy cow ... are we both going to be there at the same time, after all these years?
So you have said! When will you arrive?
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #1204
kandb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,213

I hope that the filtration system at the grotto pool was repaired/replaced and that the water is safe to swim in. I don't know about anyone else but I still don't feel comfortable putting my children in the water. The operations manager told the original poster that the pumps would have to be replaced. I wish this issue wasn't hanging over my head.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #1205
madge
... is soaking in it
 
madge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
So you have said! When will you arrive?
on the 28th, for one night .. I'm hoping the night of the 29th opens up, it's been booked for months.
__________________

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #1206
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
I hope that the filtration system at the grotto pool was repaired/replaced and that the water is safe to swim in. I don't know about anyone else but I still don't feel comfortable putting my children in the water. The operations manager told the original poster that the pumps would have to be replaced. I wish this issue wasn't hanging over my head.
We have a pool in our backyard, so it isn't something on the top of our list when we go to WDW, but I can see why this situation would be upsetting. But, as great as the Grotto Pool is, the lap pool and the round pool on the Dolphin side are very pleasant for a cool dip. Maybe a visit to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon might be a replacement for a day, too? I hope the problem is corrected soon.

Brings back memories of our first trip to WDW, 30 years ago... Went to Florida via RV with extended family ... Stopped at a dinky campground in North Carolina, with a green pool. Yuck. My mother wouldn't let us put a toe in. The owner was highly insulted and said "Lady, this here is the cleanest pool in the state of North Carolina!"...to which my mother replied, "well then, I guess we won't be doing any swimming in the state of North Carolina!". Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #1207
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
on the 28th, for one night .. I'm hoping the night of the 29th opens up, it's been booked for months.
That's a busy weekend due to the opening of the Food & Wine Festival and Epcot's 30th anniversary celebration. I hope you will have good luck getting the 2nd night.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #1208
Shannon84
DIS Veteran
 
Shannon84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond, VA (from western MA originally)
Posts: 1,977

They confirmed on their facebook page today that they are doing grotto pool refurb in 2013...but no specific dates chosen yet
Shannon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1209
madge
... is soaking in it
 
madge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
That's a busy weekend due to the opening of the Food & Wine Festival and Epcot's 30th anniversary celebration. I hope you will have good luck getting the 2nd night.
it's also the Tower of Terror 10-miler. That's why we're trying to get that night ... our DDP resort isn't an "official" hotel for the race. I'll keep trying!
__________________

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1210
mama4
DIS Veteran
 
mama4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Just two hours away from Mickey's front door
Posts: 630

Hi everyone! Dh and I are looking forward to our first trip to the Dolphin for F&W and our 11th anniversary. We'll be there October 12-14. Got a AAA rate of $206 a night although it's for two double beds. Would rather have a king. We are also Florida residents and have AP's. Does anyone know if I should be able to find a better rate somewhere? I would love to lower the cost so we could get that king room! TIA!
__________________
DH ~ Me ~ DS21 ~ DS10 ~ DS8 ~ DD is 6 years old!
mama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1211
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears
 
LexiC123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: city of 10 million dreams...and one parking space!
Posts: 2,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4 View Post
Hi everyone! Dh and I are looking forward to our first trip to the Dolphin for F&W and our 11th anniversary. We'll be there October 12-14. Got a AAA rate of $206 a night although it's for two double beds. Would rather have a king. We are also Florida residents and have AP's. Does anyone know if I should be able to find a better rate somewhere? I would love to lower the cost so we could get that king room! TIA!
The $206 AAA rate is good, but there is also a second AAA rate (promo code AAA123) which gives you the same $206 rate, plus you get a $50 resort credit, which can be used on food, beverages and recreational activities.

The Florida Resident and the Teacher rates are slightly better, at $199. However, there is no price difference between a two double-bed room and a king room...the room categories are based on location (Traditional, Resort View, Epcot View) and whether or not it has a balcony. It may just be the case that the Traditional king bed rooms are all booked, but I would call to verify that. In the past, I've been able to book a king room when calling the resort or SPG directly, even though no availability was showing up on-line.

You should also monitor the Starwood Starpicks rates, which are released every Tuesday (except during holidays weeks, which means there may not be new rates released tomorrow). There have been times over the last few years, when the Starpicks rate was as low as $99 or $119 per night.

One thing I've learned with the S/D is to keep checking back, as their rates change often and it's not unheard of to snag a great deal within 4-6 weeks of your arrival date.

PS - definitely bookmark the S/D Offers page, which pretty much covers all the bases as far as discounted rates and promotions go.
__________________
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
Next up: 10/14.....Swan
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel


ebay: teescloset10..........
LexiC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #1212
mama4
DIS Veteran
 
mama4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Just two hours away from Mickey's front door
Posts: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123
The $206 AAA rate is good, but there is also a second AAA rate (promo code AAA123) which gives you the same $206 rate, plus you get a $50 resort credit, which can be used on food, beverages and recreational activities.

The Florida Resident and the Teacher rates are slightly better, at $199. However, there is no price difference between a two double-bed room and a king room...the room categories are based on location (Traditional, Resort View, Epcot View) and whether or not it has a balcony. It may just be the case that the Traditional king bed rooms are all booked, but I would call to verify that. In the past, I've been able to book a king room when calling the resort or SPG directly, even though no availability was showing up on-line.

You should also monitor the Starwood Starpicks rates, which are released every Tuesday (except during holidays weeks, which means there may not be new rates released tomorrow). There have been times over the last few years, when the Starpicks rate was as low as $99 or $119 per night.

One thing I've learned with the S/D is to keep checking back, as their rates change often and it's not unheard of to snag a great deal within 4-6 weeks of your arrival date.

PS - definitely bookmark the S/D Offers page, which pretty much covers all the bases as far as discounted rates and promotions go.
Thanks LexiC123! Great info! I'll definitely call directly and see if they have any king rooms at the $206 rate. That would make me a happy camper for sure. I did see that AAA123 offer but for some reason thought it was for a longer stay, like 6 nights or something? Idk, my computer is broken and I'm using dh's iPad late at night so I might have misinterpreted it. I will also ask about the fl resident rate and see if they have that $199 rate. I'm not really expecting a view, although it would be nice but I would REALLY appreciate the king bed! Thanks again!
__________________
DH ~ Me ~ DS21 ~ DS10 ~ DS8 ~ DD is 6 years old!
mama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #1213
kandb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,213

Anyone back recently from the swan/dolphin? How did the grotto pool look?
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #1214
commdoc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 257

Disney Visa Rewards

I wasn't sure where to post this. Can I use Disney Visa Rewards for room and or restaurant purchases at the S&D?
commdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #1215
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by commdoc View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this. Can I use Disney Visa Rewards for room and or restaurant purchases at the S&D?
No, because they are not owned by Disney.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: