Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #106
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
HI,

Question..when you book at Disney resort, they ask if you are celebrating something...like bday or anniversary..does Swan ask this too? I don't remember doing this when I reserved my room. We are celebrating DS earning his Eagle Scout rank when we go in June and I was wondering. If so, what extra magic do they have? TIA
They don't ask, but you can certainly volunteer the information. If you book on-line, there is a box where you can note special requests. If booking via phone, just mention it to the rep.

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but they've been pretty wonderful in acknowledging our special events. When I celebrated my 50th birthday there a couple of years ago, I received a bouquet of balloons, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate-dipped fruit and a birthday card from the manager. For our 20th anniversary, we received a tray of chocolate-dipped strawberries.

PS - and a nice email to S/D Guest Services a week or so before you arrive isn't a bad idea, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReganlovesWDW View Post
Previously, I had stayed at Disney resorts and a HUGE selling point for me was the fact that Disney reported that they cleaned the bedspreads between every family's stay. Is that true at the Swan? I get quite skeeved by the thought that the comforters were put back on the beds from the previous guest. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would email/call the hotel directly for a definitive answer. I'm sure the head of the housekeeping dept could answer that question for you.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....Next: 12/14 Swan
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #107
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
You have to go to this website for starhot
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/promo...tegory=STARHOT
Just put in Orlando and no dates and browse for the starhot rate. It's an employee perk and is not available at all times. It's also hugely popular so if you see any of the dates you want don't even think about it reserve them. The hotel add and subtracts dates offered at the starhot rate so if you're lucky you will eventually be able to piece together all the days you want between now and then. If you can't get starhot some nights try starfriend
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/promo...ry=STARFRIENDS
Its not as good as starhot though. Once you have your reservations made and you're ready to go you will need to get an introduction letter from your SIL for every confirmation number you have. You will not get the rate without that letter so once you have it don't lose it. Depending on her position she may have to go to her HR department at work and have the letter done so if you lose them it will be a huge pain.
Depending on the time of year you go Swan and Dolphin sometimes give you a 50% off food and beverage card too. You still have to pay resort fees on top of the nightly rate just like everyone else. There is no set date when these rates are release as it's done as needed so basically if they noticed they aren't filling up as much as they like they might offer starhot or starfriend.
Thank you soooo much...
So what I'm getting is if I see ANY of my date open up book them!
So I could end up with 4 or 5 different conformation numbers, and just have to a letter for each one..
What happen if I only get half my dates? And/or change my mind about going?
When we use the discount other places before we can always cancel the ressie until the week before with no charge..

Would this be different?

Thank you again for getting back to me..

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #108
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
Thank you soooo much...
So what I'm getting is if I see ANY of my date open up book them!
So I could end up with 4 or 5 different conformation numbers, and just have to a letter for each one..
What happen if I only get half my dates? And/or change my mind about going?
When we use the discount other places before we can always cancel the ressie until the week before with no charge..

Would this be different?

Thank you again for getting back to me..
Yes, if you only get some of the dates you want then you have to fill in the missing nights with a different rate. Starfriend is the next best choice but if that's not available either maybe AAA or the best rate you can qualify for. You can still cancel if it doesn't work out. I think it's 3 days prior.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #109
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
They don't ask, but you can certainly volunteer the information. If you book on-line, there is a box where you can note special requests. If booking via phone, just mention it to the rep.

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but they've been pretty wonderful in acknowledging our special events. When I celebrated my 50th birthday there a couple of years ago, I received a bouquet of balloons, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate-dipped fruit and a birthday card from the manager. For our 20th anniversary, we received a tray of chocolate-dipped strawberries.

PS - and a nice email to S/D Guest Services a week or so before you arrive isn't a bad idea, either.

Thank you for your reply!

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #110
we3travellers
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I have just booked the Dolphin for May! Great rate, so excited, fairly last minute. I am looking for info/feedback on the pools. DS5 is a huge pool kid and loves slides etc. How do the pools here compare to the other Disney resorts? I cannot get any good photos or info and am really concerned he will not be entertained enough. We are planning a day at Blizzard Beach in any case. He is a daredevil and does not like kiddy pools and kiddy slides. Bring on the big stuff! Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #111
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3travellers View Post
Hi all! I have just booked the Dolphin for May! Great rate, so excited, fairly last minute. I am looking for info/feedback on the pools. DS5 is a huge pool kid and loves slides etc. How do the pools here compare to the other Disney resorts? I cannot get any good photos or info and am really concerned he will not be entertained enough. We are planning a day at Blizzard Beach in any case. He is a daredevil and does not like kiddy pools and kiddy slides. Bring on the big stuff! Thanks.
Think along the lines of Stormalong Bay at Y&BC.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #112
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

My kids perfer The Grotto Pool at S/D over any Disney Resort pool (with the exception of maybe SAB which they just discovered last month). I'll try & get some pics up for you tonight!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's

Last edited by TaraPA; 04-18-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #113
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Grotto Pool pics:

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #114
we3travellers
Mouseketeer

TaraPA - Thanks so much for the pics and info. I can now rest easy!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #115
SCPP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Its per night. You have to wait until 5 days before check in and call SPG. Its called a paid night upgrade.

Rooms are 10K at the Swan and Dolphin

Suites are booked at 20K points per night.

It would take 10K extra per night to confirm a suite upgrade at the Swan. I confirmed this earlier this evening with my Platinum Concierge at Starwood Preferred Guest Line.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #116
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Have any of you SPG members gotten the "Instant Awards" at the Dolphin? The program says it varies by hotel...just wondering what it might be and how many points I'd need....
TIA

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #117
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPP View Post
Rooms are 10K at the Swan and Dolphin

Suites are booked at 20K points per night.

It would take 10K extra per night to confirm a suite upgrade at the Swan. I confirmed this earlier this evening with my Platinum Concierge at Starwood Preferred Guest Line.
Sorry...you're right. Here's the chart
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe.../upgrades.html
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #118
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Grotto pool is #1 in my kids wishes.
They started using the pool when they were 7 & 10 - now at 17 & 20, the Grotto pool is still #1

All ages enjoy the Grotto pool - plus the 2 lap pools, kiddie pool, hot tub, water slide, volleyball area (in the water) , lots of seats in the sun and shade....I could go on forever.

SAB at the YC/BC is still #1 - but we can not stay there, too much $$$$'s - so Grotto is #1 !
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #119
melliej
Earning My Ears

My kids (6.5 & 3.5 years) loved the playground area by the grotto pool. We barely made it into the pool one day since they were playing in the sand and on the playground the whole time. I did wish the grotto pool had a zero depth area. For little guys, the sides of the pool are pretty high compared to the water level and having a child who likes hanging out on the edge and filling up his dump truck with water, it made me a little uneasy. Overall we did really like the grotto pool, it has a very relaxing atmosphere.
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #120
Stlhawkeye
Earning My Ears

Booking Swan/Dolphin

We are looking at staying at either the Swan or Dolphin next year. How far out can you book your hotel stay? I know with Disney Resort hotels you can book pretty far out?

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: