Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #1171
wishinon3stars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkeys View Post
Well my faith in the swan/dolphin has been restored. The followed up significantly with us, owned up to the issue, and made us happy.

I'll spare you all the dirty laundry technical stuff but suffice to say there's an issue, they have formulated a plan, and are working to resolve it.

From a technical standpoint, if the do what they say their plan is, by mid to late next week the pool should be back to normal. It takes a while to get 300k gallons back when it gets to this point.

I really like this place, have been here a bunch in the past, specifically selected this place this trip for the pool, and will most likely return based on how this has been handled.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering if they told you when the refurb on the pool was going to start? and for how long they expected the pool to be closed?

Poly: Sept 1984 Honeymoon!; Off-site: April 1994; April 1998, July 1999;
BCV: May 2009; BCV: Sept 2010; BCV: Sept 2012;
Dolphin: June 2013; Sept 2014 BC
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #1172
DisNance
Mouseketeer

Going on 9/17. Hope the problem is resolved by then!!! Sooner would be great. So sorry you folks have to deal with this on you vacation.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #1173
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinon3stars View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering if they told you when the refurb on the pool was going to start? and for how long they expected the pool to be closed?
2 issues may affect you.

The current should be clear by the time you get here provided they do what we discussed.

As far as the major refurb and 20+ day closure, I got a bunch of different stories. I'd press the issue to be sure you won't be affected during your stay. Dont just talk to the front desk, ask for the operations director. And I'd keep calling every few days, the story seems to be changing (which may be totally legit and just the way things go). Seems like when it goes down they are making plans to use other nearby pools, or so the insinuated.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #1174
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Very random question here, but has anyone visited recently and snapped a picture of the beach area at the Swan where the playground is? I heard there was some construction and work done to the area and I wanted to see what it looks like now if it looks any different, we are getting married there next month
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #1175
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Win a 2 night stay in a Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort presidential suite

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt...tial-suite.htm

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #1176
peeputt
Filled with Wanderlust...

Talking

‎14 days until I leave for vacation (stopping places along the way)
19 days until IOA Wizarding World
20 days until the Dolphin Resort
21 days until MNSSHP
22 days until POFQ
28 days until F&W!!!
Then we leave to come home the 29th

Feb. 2011 - POFQ (Hubby and my 1st trip together)
Sept. 2012 - The Dolphin & POFQ
Sept. 2013 - Old Key West
Feb-March 2015 - POP
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #1177
kandb
DIS Veteran

We are arriving at the dolphin on 9/15. I will be super upset if the grotto pool is down. We planned on spending alot of time at the pool, my kids want a slide and all I kept hearing is how nice the grotto pool is. When we made our reservations, there was no mention of the pool being closed for renovations. I don't want to swim in a lap pool. I am going to call and see if the pool is going to be closed during our stay. I am upset also, because I originally had a package with CSR with free dining and cancelled it for the dolphin because I wanted to stay in a boardwalk area hotel.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #1178
kandb
DIS Veteran

PS-I am a health inspector here in NJ and inspect pools all of the time. The PH level could make the chemicals ineffective, however the only way to tell if there is bacteria in the water is by testing it, and the test takes 48 hours. Alot of pools work on the salt system and don't put alot of chemicals (chlorine or bromine) into the water. My guess is that the filtration system is not working properly (as the OP stated). Here in NJ a pool must have an 8 hour turnover rate, if some of the filters are not working, that time can go way up, resulting in algae and bacterial growth in the pool. The bottom line is, something is wrong with the pool/filtration system and it really should not be open when the water is cloudy and there is algae in it. I am calling tomorrow and speaking to a manager.

Last edited by kandb; 08-31-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #1179
meeshkamooshka
please exit to your left...

I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
PS-Alot of pools work on the salt system and don't put alot of chemicals (chlorine or bromine) into the water.
in my opinion salt systems are not effective, in my new house I turned my salt pool back to a traditional chlorine pool...

the water is super clear, no algae...and the best thing is, no micro organisms are living...resulting in a fun and SAFE pool experience...

sorry to hear about the pool dilemma..theres always blizzard beach down the road, it's way better than any pool !!!
ANY POST I MAKE ON THE BOARD IS " MY" OPINION, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN OPINION. AS A MATURE ADULT, RESPECTFUL AND TOLERANT DIALOGUE BEGINS WITH ACCEPTING EACH OTHERS POINT OF VIEW - EVEN IF THEY DIFFER. BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCES, WE FORM DIFFERENT OPINIONS. VARIOUS OPINIONS CAN SHED NEW LIGHT AND NEW APPROACHES, ULTIMATELY WE WOULD FAIL TO MAKE PROGRESS IN OUR DEMOCRACY WITHOUT THEM! BUT AGAIN,THIS IS ALL "MY" OPINION!

FOR SOME REASON I ALWAYS GET HUNGRY FOR ONIONS, WHEN I READ THE WORD OPINION!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #1180
kandb
DIS Veteran

Yes, I agree with you. I would rather have chlorine, especially in a PUBLIC pool. We planned on taking long breaks every afternoon and hanging at the pool because it's going to be super hot in the afternoons. The part that pisses me off the most is that obviously the pool has issues and was scheduled for a renovation around this time. When I made reservations, I was never told of the possiblity of not having the main pool working and there is nothing on the website that states it either. To be honest, I would have kept my CSR reservation with free dining if I knew the pool was not going to be operational. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #1181
meeshkamooshka
please exit to your left...

recourse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
Yes, I agree with you. I would rather have chlorine, especially in a PUBLIC pool. We planned on taking long breaks every afternoon and hanging at the pool because it's going to be super hot in the afternoons. The part that pisses me off the most is that obviously the pool has issues and was scheduled for a renovation around this time. When I made reservations, I was never told of the possiblity of not having the main pool working and there is nothing on the website that states it either. To be honest, I would have kept my CSR reservation with free dining if I knew the pool was not going to be operational. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
I would think you might have some recourse in canceling your reservation because of this, or at least getting an upgrade, or FREE meal... give it as least a try ...their policy is ONLY a guideline and management can override it...if they want to keep a positive image of their hotel!
ANY POST I MAKE ON THE BOARD IS " MY" OPINION, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN OPINION. AS A MATURE ADULT, RESPECTFUL AND TOLERANT DIALOGUE BEGINS WITH ACCEPTING EACH OTHERS POINT OF VIEW - EVEN IF THEY DIFFER. BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCES, WE FORM DIFFERENT OPINIONS. VARIOUS OPINIONS CAN SHED NEW LIGHT AND NEW APPROACHES, ULTIMATELY WE WOULD FAIL TO MAKE PROGRESS IN OUR DEMOCRACY WITHOUT THEM! BUT AGAIN,THIS IS ALL "MY" OPINION!

FOR SOME REASON I ALWAYS GET HUNGRY FOR ONIONS, WHEN I READ THE WORD OPINION!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #1182
madge
... is soaking in it

grotto pool closure in September?

nowhere on the spg site is that mentioned ... and that is one of the main reasons we booked the Swan (and have been trying to get a second night) ... will be following this to see how it plays out!

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #1183
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina.tina View Post
LaurenT, will you post a mini-review here? I'm always interested in your opinion whenever I see you post.

Thanks!
Tina,
Here's the mini review I posted for the Swan:
Just a small review....
We were there from Aug 21 to 30, stayed in 6184, a 2 double bed resort view room in the West wing.
For the most part, we were very happy with the resort. We got a great deal (paid about $1200 total for the 9 nights) because we jumped on the Super Bowl special when our state's team won (buy 2 nights get the 3rd free if your state makes it to the SB, plus an upgrade for the winning state). I also joined the SPG rewards program and signed up for the Amex card - this resulted in over 30,000 points which made me look like a big customer...so we were also given a free rollaway for my friend's DD (who is a thrasher, lol). Those 30,000 points are also good for 3 free nights in the future.
The staff was extremely friendly and attentive, our room was clean and well stocked with towels and such, and our location was very convenient to breakfast (Picabu), laundry and the boat and bus.

We ate most mornings at Picabu. If you have a AAA card, you get a 20% discount (I believe at all the counter service locations, but definitely at Picabu). We all ordered the kids breakfast (tons of food - eggs, toast, bacon and potatoes) and it cost about $22 per day for the 4 of us!

I saw the posts about the condition of the Grotto pool. We only went to the pool one day, early on in the trip. Maybe the 23rd or 24th. The pool LOOKED fine at that point. The staff got our girls involved in a water volleyball game and they had a great time. The wait staff was very attentive and my friend and I very much enjoyed our poolside drinks.
OK...on to a few things that were less than ideal.

We wanted to go to the morning EMH for AK. We were at the bus stop at 7:10 am. This should have been plenty of time to not only get there before the open, but be AT the rope.
We waited and waited and waited and....etc. I spoke to other drivers and they radioed in several times. I then used the house phone and was eventually patched through to Disney transport. I was told by one driver that the bus would arrive in 4 minutes. Twenty minutes later, I was told by Disney transport that the bus would arrive soon... It seems that the AK busses were filling to capacity at the Swan and, therefore, bypassing the Dolphin completely. At about 8:15 am an empty "floater" bus finally arrived and took us to AK. We weren't in the park until about 8:40. I stopped into guest services to let them know about the issue. They did of course give us FP's for 2 rides to make up for all the EMH time we lost, and I appreciated that.... But, my favorite thing to do at AK is to grab my FP for the Safari and then walk through Pangani before anyone else is interested in it. I love having those trails to myself. Needless to say, by the time we got there, the trails were packed full of people. So, my advice - when going to EMH, if you are staying at the Dolphin, walk over to the Swan for the bus! The rest of the trip, busses and boats were fine....

Another issue was the smell by the 6th floor elevators. We thought it was a dirty diaper that a guest had been kind enough to dispose of in the garbage/ashtray by the elevators. We reported it to guest services....but the smell never entirely went away during our nine days there! Just glad my room wasn't near it!

Finally, we had lunch ADRs for Fresh Mediterranean Market. We made sure we were back at the resort in time for it. We arrived at the restaurant only to be told that they weren't open for lunch and that we should eat at the Fountain. I was assured that the Fountain also accepts TIW. Well, the Fountain was fine, no biggie, but when the check came I was informed that they do not, in fact accept TIW. The waitress got the manager for me and she extended the discount anyway, so it all worked out. But how strange that they would allow you to make an ADR and give you a confirmation number for a restaurant that isn't open.

In summary, the hotel is beautiful, the pool is beautiful (and will hopefully be fixed soon), the staff is very friendly, the location is great and most issues were dealt with satisfactorily. We are DVC and also have an offsite timeshare, but if I ever found myself out of points/weeks again, I would not hesitate to stay at the Dolphin again - in fact, I may have to make an extra trip to use my points for free nights!

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #1184
kandb
DIS Veteran

Just got off the phone with a manager at the dolphin. The grotto pool will be closed from 9/24 thru 11/10 for renovations. We will not be affected but I would be upset if we were considering, there is still nothing on the website about the closure.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #1185
GC&S
DIS Veteran

I just posted on another thread about the closure of the pool. I am beyond livid. No mention of the pool closure when I made the reservations. For our travel dates it would cost $1000 more to stay at the Beach Club. The pool is a huge factor where we stay on vacation. I cant understand why they wont tell you about the renovations or put anything on their website. We already have flight reservations so we cant change the dates.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: