Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1156
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkeys View Post
hi guys!

Well, I have a BIG problem with the current condition of the swan-dolphin grotto pool. In 1 word GROSS! I am here now Aug 28-Sept 4.

Anyway here's a link to a thread I started on the resorts board all about it : very interesting what my husband & I found out...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45988370
Wow...that's all kinds of disturbing. And the fact that it's happening during the hottest, most humid part of the summer adds insult to injury.

S/D management need to make this right - and fast - or this will haunt them for a very long time.

I'm sure having access to SAB would help assuage the disappointment of the guests who were looking forward to the Grotto Pool. Personally, I don't think I'd schlep all the way over to the Y&BC just for a swim...I mean, the water is just as wet in the lap pools at the S/D. I can see how the kiddies would be all about the slide and the waterfall, though, so the lap pool probably won't do it for them.

I agree that Starwood needs to be brought into the matter ASAP. Lots of squeaky wheels might spur action sooner than later.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #1157
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
Wow...that's all kinds of disturbing. And the fact that it's happening during the hottest, most humid part of the summer adds insult to injury.

S/D management need to make this right - and fast - or this will haunt them for a very long time.

I'm sure having access to SAB would help assuage the disappointment of the guests who were looking forward to the Grotto Pool. Personally, I don't think I'd schlep all the way over to the Y&BC just for a swim...I mean, the water is just as wet in the lap pools at the S/D. I can see how the kiddies would be all about the slide and the waterfall, though, so the lap pool probably won't do it for them.

I agree that Starwood needs to be brought into the matter ASAP. Lots of squeaky wheels might spur action sooner than later.

OK, let's put this rumor that the Swan/Dolphin doesn't care to rest! I am at the Dolphin and just spent over 2 hours of my precious vacation time walking the grounds and talking to every CM, Asst Mgr and Mgr I could find.

I'm not sure who tuckerkeys' source is, but I did not come away with the same information at all. Granted, the pool is not in the pristine condition many of us have found it to be in in the past, but it is open and I was told it is safe for swimming -- it is checked every couple of hours and would be closed immediately if the ph levels did not fall within a certain range.

The surface of the pool does look dirty, and I was told it is ready for a resurfacing and they plan to do that during the upcoming refurbishment -- where they will also create a zero entry to be in ADA compliance. The date of the refurbishment is not yet known. (The original date has been temporarily postponed.)

I do want to stress that EVERYONE I talked to at the Dolphin DID CARE and I'm sorry tuckerkeys experience was different.

Last edited by RachelTori; 08-30-2012 at 09:21 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #1158
kpadalik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori

OK, let's put this rumor that the Swan/Dolphin doesn't care to rest! I am at the Dolphin and just spent over 2 hours of my precious vacation time walking the grounds and talking to every CM, Asst Mgr and Mgr I could find.

I'm not sure who tuckerkeys' source is, but I did not come away with the same information at all. Granted, the pool is not in the pristine condition many of us have found it to be in in the past, but it is open and I was told it is safe for swimming -- it is checked every couple of hours and would be closed immediately if the ph levels did not fall within a certain range.

The surface of the pool does look dirty, and I was told it is ready for a resurfacing and they plan to do that during the upcoming refurbishment -- where they will also create a zero entry to be in ADA compliance. The date of the refurbishment is not yet known. (The original date has been temporarily postponed.)

I do want to stress that EVERYONE I talked to at the Dolphin DID CARE and I'm sorry tuckerkeys experience was different.

Thank you so much RachelTori! I appreciate it
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #1159
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadalik View Post
Thank you so much RachelTori! I appreciate it
I'm here a couple more days so if I learn any new information, I will pass it along.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1160
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
OK, let's put this rumor that the Swan/Dolphin doesn't care to rest!.......I do want to stress that EVERYONE I talked to at the Dolphin DID CARE and I'm sorry tuckerkeys experience was different.

Thanks for the clarification, Laura. Enjoy the balance of your trip.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #1161
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

I dont want to add fuel to the fire, but I saw the pics on the thread posted. That does look awful and not at all what I am used to seeing from our past visits at the Dolphin.

The OP states who she spoke to, Jason, head of recreation. I am going to S/D in March, and I love this resort, but if those pictures are true to what the pool looks like, I would be upset as well.

For me, it's a matter of safety (is it - I wouldn't swim in that) and when is it going to be fixed.

IMHO, I think leaving it open looking like that is worse than closing it with alternate arrangements for guests.

CBR - 1996 (June), 1997 (Feb), 2007 (July)
Dolphin - 2003 (April) 2008 (Mar), 2009 (July),
2010 (July)
Beach Club - 2012 (July)
Wilderness Lodge - 2013 (July)
Royal Pacific - July 2010
Portofino - July 2012
Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #1162
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
I dont want to add fuel to the fire, but I saw the pics on the thread posted. That does look awful and not at all what I am used to seeing from our past visits at the Dolphin.

The OP states who she spoke to, Jason, head of recreation. I am going to S/D in March, and I love this resort, but if those pictures are true to what the pool looks like, I would be upset as well.

For me, it's a matter of safety (is it - I wouldn't swim in that) and when is it going to be fixed.

IMHO, I think leaving it open looking like that is worse than closing it with alternate arrangements for guests.
I'm not going to disagree with you. I wouldn't swim in it either.

I saw those pictures and it didn't look that bad this morning when I was out there. (but yes, the pool surface looks dirty/greenish)

My point is, they assured me they would CLOSE the pool if there was any danger. They are going to be refurbishing it very soon. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that the Swan/Dolphin employees DO care. (JMO, but I felt like tuckerkeys was a bit harsh in her criticism of the employees.)

If I notice that the pool has closed, I will be sure to post!!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #1163
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Quote:
I'm not going to disagree with you. I wouldn't swim in it either.

I saw those pictures and it didn't look that bad this morning when I was out there. (but yes, the pool surface looks dirty/greenish)

My point is, they assured me they would CLOSE the pool if there was any danger. They are going to be refurbishing it very soon. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that the Swan/Dolphin employees DO care. (JMO, but I felt like tuckerkeys was a bit harsh in her criticism of the employees.)

If I notice that the pool has closed, I will be sure to post!!
I agree with you .... S/D employees do care. My comments are only about the pool. I hope they get this taken care of quickly.

CBR - 1996 (June), 1997 (Feb), 2007 (July)
Dolphin - 2003 (April) 2008 (Mar), 2009 (July),
2010 (July)
Beach Club - 2012 (July)
Wilderness Lodge - 2013 (July)
Royal Pacific - July 2010
Portofino - July 2012
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #1164
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

Quote:

Well if you think the ph level has anything to do with my concern and my decision to not let my kids in there you are lacking understanding of how a public pool functions. Ph is a non issue. It's the extremely high algae level. The very same conditions that allow alge to run wild like that and to have cloudy water like that permit the growth and spread of harmful bacteria like fecal coliform.

Swim at your own risk. I can 100% assure you that the chem levels and filtration rates are way off and have been for a while. Pools dont turn like this overnight. The do so because of a total lack of care by the operator. If the levels were right and you believe everything you are told why does the pool look like a pond?

It's a resort pool. The resort is nearly sold out. The pools should be spotless.

It's simple to take care of these things. It's called spend the money to put the labor on the pool to brush, vacuum, and aggressively sanitize and frequently backwash. Labor, chemical, and water costs are high. Do the math.

Last edited by tuckerkeys; 08-30-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1165
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Well if you think the ph level has anything to do with my concern and my decision to not let my kids in there you are lacking understanding of how a public pool functions. Ph is a non issue. It's the extremely high algae level. The very same conditions that allow alge to run wild like that and to have cloudy water like that permit the growth and spread of harmful bacteria like fecal coliform.

Swim at your own risk. I can 100% assure you that the chem levels and filtration rates are way off and have been for a while. Pools dont turn like this overnight. The do so because of a total lack of care by the operator. If the levels were right and you believe everything you are told why does the pool look like a pond?

It's a resort pool. The resort is nearly sold out. The pools should be spotless.

It's simple to take care of these things. It's called spend the money to put the labor on the pool to brush, vacuum, and aggressively sanitize and frequently backwash. Labor, chemical, and water costs are high. Do the math.
I can understand your position, but you are dealing with it very publicly -- and that's my issue. I'm not going to get into a debate with you: You obviously know about pools and water safety........ I don't.

I guess I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing Swolphin would be as negligent as you are claiming. And when you post negatively on a public forum, word spreads like wildfire and may never go away completely.

I believe that's all I have to say on this subject.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #1166
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Bring a big box of Bromine Tabs, and toss them in strategically into the pool when no one is looking -- see how long the algae lasts then!

Tom
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #1167
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori

I can understand your position, but you are dealing with it very publicly -- and that's my issue. I'm not going to get into a debate with you: You obviously know about pools and water safety........ I don't.

I guess I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing Swolphin would be as negligent as you are claiming. And when you post negatively on a public forum, word spreads like wildfire and may never go away completely.

I believe that's all I have to say on this subject.
I appreciate your position. But isn't Sharing experiences about wdw what this forum is all about? I've shared tons of great experiences. I certainly have a right to share the not so great. Especially when the resort is simply trying to cover up a known issue they simply don't want to fix or haven't attempted to fix until called on it

Once again it's not rocket science. Paying guests deserve a sparkling clean safe pool. Keeping a pool that way isn't that tough when you put the effort forth.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #1168
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I appreciate your position. But isn't Sharing experiences about wdw what this forum is all about? I've shared tons of great experiences. I certainly have a right to share the not so great. Especially when the resort is simply trying to cover up a known issue they simply don't want to fix or haven't attempted to fix until called on it

Once again it's not rocket science. Paying guests deserve a sparkling clean safe pool. Keeping a pool that way isn't that tough when you put the effort forth.
I agree. I've been paying attention to this thread because we have a family wedding upcoming. I'm pretty sure a relative has reservations there, that was the plan, anyway. Guess I should check on that.
In the meantime, I don't think there is a requirement for puppies and sunshine on a forum. We can share experiences, concerns, joys, or whatever.
Not everyone cares about or uses a pool when they stay at a hotel. That's OK. If a public pool is has signs of a potential health hazard, though, in my experience elsewhere it is shut down and roped off.
It doesn't mean someone is mad at the Swan/Dolphin. It just means the facility should be meeting standards for health and safety. If it's not, it needs to be brought up to code promptly. That keeps the hotel nice for its guests, and it shows the hotel is responsive to problems.

TY Kook!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1169
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

Well my faith in the swan/dolphin has been restored. The followed up significantly with us, owned up to the issue, and made us happy.

I'll spare you all the dirty laundry technical stuff but suffice to say there's an issue, they have formulated a plan, and are working to resolve it.

From a technical standpoint, if the do what they say their plan is, by mid to late next week the pool should be back to normal. It takes a while to get 300k gallons back when it gets to this point.

I really like this place, have been here a bunch in the past, specifically selected this place this trip for the pool, and will most likely return based on how this has been handled.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #1170
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well my faith in the swan/dolphin has been restored. The followed up significantly with us, owned up to the issue, and made us happy.

I'll spare you all the dirty laundry technical stuff but suffice to say there's an issue, they have formulated a plan, and are working to resolve it.

From a technical standpoint, if the do what they say their plan is, by mid to late next week the pool should be back to normal. It takes a while to get 300k gallons back when it gets to this point.

I really like this place, have been here a bunch in the past, specifically selected this place this trip for the pool, and will most likely return based on how this has been handled.
Great news - thanks for the update!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: