Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #976
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

so...it seems that some of these rates are about on par w/ the mods onsite.....so which is a better choice?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #977
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
so...it seems that some of these rates are about on par w/ the mods onsite.....so which is a better choice?
It depends who you ask We stayed at the Dolphin in June for that exact reason and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was with my mom and sister, and we enjoy convenience, luxury, and amenities so the S&D were an easy choice. I'm making a return trip with my husband in November, and he's all about FUN and having that "in your face" Disney feel. After much debate back and forth, he said he wanted to stay at the new AOA Little Mermaid rooms and I caved in ( ) since I had just stayed at the Dolphin in June (and because we'll only be there for 3 nights.) It was slightly cheaper (only about $30 per night,) but his main reason was that he wanted that Disney feel, and the Dolphin was sort of lacking that a little. Plus, he's one of those people that doesn't like to feel like he's paying for useless things, and he gets annoyed that we would've had to pay the resort fee and pay to park

Here was our PRO comparison list:
S&D
interior corridors
better beds
free coffee
earn SPG points & possible free upgrade
better amenities
better location
bell services
larger rooms

Value/Mod
don't share busses (the ones we were looking at)
more "Disney" feel
better food court (more choices, no service charge)
cheaper (room cost was slightly cheaper, but also no resort fee or parking fee)
can charge to your room at the parks
bigger gift shop (the ones we were looking at)
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)

Last edited by SRUAlmn; 08-02-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added our PRO list
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #978
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Swan/Dolphin win on location, location, location - plus the heavenly beds!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #979
kaceyisme
Just passing the time until my next trip

Quote:
We have always stayed at the deluxe resorts - Poly and Contemporary - but prior to our DCL cruise in June, we stayed at the Swan for two nights because of the rising costs at the Disney hotels. I am now a convert! We are staying at the Dolphin for the first time in two weeks. I can't compare the Swan and Dolphin to the mods, but I can compare them to the deluxe hotels, and we were very pleasantly surprised with the Swan. Hopefully we will like the Dolphin just as well!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #980
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I have stayed at all the Mods and recently at the Dolphin.

I am looking forward to staying at the Dolphin again and not just because you can book a room for five people. The rooms are much nicer and bigger than the Mod rooms. The location cannot be beat, especially if you are an Epcot fan. I loved how close you are to the Boardwalk. Our view was incredible. Indoor corridors and restaurants don't seem like a big deal until you are caught in a downpour. The only thing I missed was the atmosphere. I kind of missed the beachyness of CB and the New Orleans fun of the French Quarter. But I did not miss it enough to book two rooms at those resorts. I have found a quick visit to walk the grounds and have a snack is perfectly adequate-then back to the Dolphin I go.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #981
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
The Swan/Dolphin win on location, location, location - plus the heavenly beds!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #982
SCPP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
The only other points rate that I know of is 20,000 pts/night for a suite. I don't know which kind of suite that is for, though. Perhaps someone else has better information? If it is for an alcove room, I don't think it makes sense in terms of points value, since I don't think those rooms are twice the size of a standard. We are currently booked in the resort view with points, but I would love to upgrade to a fireworks view, even if it means paying some amount per night in cash. By the way, keep in mind that if you pay for 4 nights with points, the 5th should be free (so 40,000 points for 5 nights in a standard room).
SPG also offers a 11K point rate for a preferred room. I was told that the room would be a preferred view higher level etc. Based on status within Starwood (Plat. Gold Etc) it could be a suite.

A 20K suite reward is a 1 bedroom with the living area attached to it.

We booked a suite for 10 days back in June and as SPG Platinum (122 nights this year already) we were upgraded to an EPCOT view over the Boardwalk to a suite that had 2 bedroom, one bedroom with 2 queens and one bedroom with 1 king. It was a very nice upgrade and an amazing room.

10K = Room
11K = Preferred room (alcove or view or higher floor)
20K = 1 BR suite

5 nights for the price of 4 at all SPG properties.

As always upgrades will depend on availability and your status within the Starwood Program and these days, how much pull your Platinum Concierge has with a property.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #983
SCPP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzylitnin View Post
Thank you, Lexi. I have been dealing with Starwood, since I originally made the reservation through my Starwood account. They are saying that the money has to be refunded through the resort. When I spoke with the billing department, they tell me that this reservation is non-refundable. I have all of the emails confirming and cancelling my reservation, with the cancellation terms and amounts on them, that I have forwarded to this person in billing, with a request for confirmation that they have received it and a response on how this issue is being handled. I have yet to receive any communication from this individual or The Swan. I'd be happy with any communication at this point, even communication disputing my claim, so I would know how to proceed.

I just sent an email to the individual in billing that I was dealing with and copied Mr. Scott on it. Wish me luck!

Dispute the entire amount with your credit card company. Attach the emails and write a short succinct message.

Hotels hate dealing with credit card disputes because it cost them time and money.

If I hate anything about SPG it is dealing with cancellations, credit holds and refunds. They are notorious slow.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #984
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzylitnin View Post
I just received confirmation from Mr. Scott that this is being refunded. Thanks for the advice. I really do love the Swan and Dolphin, and am pleased that I received a response. I'm happy that I will be able to do business with them in the future. They are refunding my money.
Good to hear, Lzylitnin.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #985
olive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPP View Post
SPG also offers a 11K point rate for a preferred room. I was told that the room would be a preferred view higher level etc. Based on status within Starwood (Plat. Gold Etc) it could be a suite.

A 20K suite reward is a 1 bedroom with the living area attached to it.

We booked a suite for 10 days back in June and as SPG Platinum (122 nights this year already) we were upgraded to an EPCOT view over the Boardwalk to a suite that had 2 bedroom, one bedroom with 2 queens and one bedroom with 1 king. It was a very nice upgrade and an amazing room.

10K = Room
11K = Preferred room (alcove or view or higher floor)
20K = 1 BR suite

5 nights for the price of 4 at all SPG properties.

As always upgrades will depend on availability and your status within the Starwood Program and these days, how much pull your Platinum Concierge has with a property.
Not the OP, but this is super helpful! When I booked our 11k/night rate, I was told it would be for a resort view with balcony. We actually would have preferred not to have a balcony but were told that category is not available on points. I figured we would just ask at check in. We'll consider the 20K option if there is an entirely separate bedroom. We will be traveling with a 5 year old and a baby, and separate spaces might be very handy in that situation! I assume there is no way to guarantee which of the 11K options you get when you book that?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #986
catiesmom
Earning My Ears

newbie here so go easy on me please

We just booked 2 rooms at the Swan on points for April 2013. We're taking our 3 kids (4, 2 & 1) for 7 days/nights. In-laws will have a 3rd room there - paying cash. DH will have platinum status within a 3 months so hoping for an upgrade

I've read a good bit on this thread and many other places but I'm still confused on tickets and dining reservations since we aren't doing a package deal. I would be so appreciative if anyone has any insight! This is our first Disney trip. We are so excited!!!!!!!!

I can book ADRs 180+10 days out, right? Since I've used points and the Swan is not a Disney property, is there anything I need to do in advance to make sure that making my ADRs goes smoothly when I call in?

Also are any of the Disney dining plans an option for us? I mean, are we even allowed to purchase it since we didn't book through Disney? I don't think we're going that route but want to weigh all our options.

Also my son will turn 3 right in the middle of our trip. I'm getting tix from undercovertourist. Do I need to get him a 3 day pass for the time after his birthday? DH says no but I feel that is dishonest

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #987
kandb
DIS Veteran

You cannot get the disney dining plan when staying at the swan/dolphin. Starwood offers some kind of dining plan but you have to eat at the swan/dolphin restaurants, and to me that would be inconvenient since we are at the parks at dinner time. I don't believe you can book 180 + 10 when you book ADR's. When you book adr's when staying onsite (disney owned hotels), they give you a confirmation number that you have to put in in order to get the 180 + 10. I might be wrong with this. As far as your son needing a ticket, your husband is absolutely right, no need to buy him any ticket for your vacation. We have always stayed onsite at disney resorts, but this Sept we are trying the dolphin and we are super excited. I have to admit, I am going to miss the ddp, but I have made some nice adr's, so I am sure it will be fine. Have fun. Hopefully, you booked your parents room, because on a 2nd room, they give a really good discount. We booked a room for my mother and her's is only $119/night.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #988
Flews
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiesmom View Post
newbie here so go easy on me please

We just booked 2 rooms at the Swan on points for April 2013. We're taking our 3 kids (4, 2 & 1) for 7 days/nights. In-laws will have a 3rd room there - paying cash. DH will have platinum status within a 3 months so hoping for an upgrade

I've read a good bit on this thread and many other places but I'm still confused on tickets and dining reservations since we aren't doing a package deal. I would be so appreciative if anyone has any insight! This is our first Disney trip. We are so excited!!!!!!!!

I can book ADRs 180+10 days out, right? Since I've used points and the Swan is not a Disney property, is there anything I need to do in advance to make sure that making my ADRs goes smoothly when I call in?

Also are any of the Disney dining plans an option for us? I mean, are we even allowed to purchase it since we didn't book through Disney? I don't think we're going that route but want to weigh all our options.

Also my son will turn 3 right in the middle of our trip. I'm getting tix from undercovertourist. Do I need to get him a 3 day pass for the time after his birthday? DH says no but I feel that is dishonest

Thanks!
There are so many handy and diverse eating options at the S/D, right beside the property (the boardwalk, YC, etc..), and even Epcot/DS themselves, we wouldn't even consider buying a dining plan. There's also a store on the boardwalk to buy milk, cereal, bread, cold cuts, etc... for light meals and snacks. Remember, re: your husband's SPG status, all S/D meal charges to the room count as points.

I suggest your husband call Platinum concierge when he hits Platinum. Ask the PC to call the property to 1} note on the reservation he is now Platinum and elegible for all Platinum benefits; 2} let them know about the birthday (they will send up a cake and balloons, or something like that; 3} ask - in light of the multiple room bookings - whether they could consider connecting a parlor to the rooms if a suite upgrade is available. That will get you an extra bathroom, an extra fridge with a wetbar, and tons more room. It's not guaranteed or any thing, but it never hurts to ask.

April is a great time at the D/S; we are there every April as well for our young twins' birthdays.

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #989
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Coffee maker in room

Been a while since I was at the Dolphin so I wanted to confirm that there is still a coffee maker in the room and if so what type? (4 cup, Keruig, pod etc)

Thanks !!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #990
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

Just reading up on the Swan over on All Ears. It says there that there is an airline boarding pass kiosk at Swan. Does anyone know if Southwest is an airline that you can print boarding passes for there?

Still thinking of Swan this fall, as it is currently looking a lot cheaper there than the WDW resorts we'd consider.

Thanks
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: