Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #916
TheSpooph
Mouseketeer

Thought I would add another option for Costco members. We just booked Feb. 22-27, 2013, through Costco's travel department. We have a 5 night stay with a 4 day park hopper for $1850. A better deal than AAA but I'm not sure about teachers or nurses. One catch: a deposit of $100 each is required immediately and it's non-refundable. But it was worth it for us - I'm in the Princess Half Marathon that weekend!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #917
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpooph View Post
Thought I would add another option for Costco members. We just booked Feb. 22-27, 2013, through Costco's travel department. We have a 5 night stay with a 4 day park hopper for $1850. A better deal than AAA but I'm not sure about teachers or nurses. One catch: a deposit of $100 each is required immediately and it's non-refundable. But it was worth it for us - I'm in the Princess Half Marathon that weekend!
That's good to know - thank you for sharing!

The teachers and nurses discounts are not as generous as in years past. They are very comparable to the AAA rates. In fact, I changed my teacher rate to AAA (for my upcoming trip in late August) as AAA had a better deal (by about $3/night! )

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #918
cvirtue1
Earning My Ears

Views, Rooms, etc

I'm staying at the Swan in early November. I have never stayed there before so don't know the hotel. When I call to ask for an upgrade (or to even see what I have!) what are the best room views?

What's Boardwalk vs Fireworks?

Obviously a balcony is better than not right?

What are the pro's and con's to the wings?

Thank you!! My DD birthday and our anniversary are near our dates and hoping for pixie dust!

I am so excited to stay on property for the first time ever!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #919
albryant1
Earning My Ears

Linking AAA?

I just tried to call SPG at 888.625.4988 and the agent told me that he could not link my SPG card to my AAA card. I have a teacher rate coming up in October and he said they only used AAA to find rates. Should I just call and hope to get a different agent?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #920
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvirtue1 View Post
I'm staying at the Swan in early November. I have never stayed there before so don't know the hotel. When I call to ask for an upgrade (or to even see what I have!) what are the best room views?

What's Boardwalk vs Fireworks?

Obviously a balcony is better than not right?

What are the pro's and con's to the wings?

Thank you!! My DD birthday and our anniversary are near our dates and hoping for pixie dust!

I am so excited to stay on property for the first time ever!
Fireworks would be really the same as Boardwalk, just higher up. Both would look the same way, east.

I have had balcony before, but never go out on it, other than to maybe take a better picture. The balconies are very small, barely room for two small chairs and small table.

Have a great trip, you will love the place.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #921
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albryant1 View Post
I just tried to call SPG at 888.625.4988 and the agent told me that he could not link my SPG card to my AAA card. I have a teacher rate coming up in October and he said they only used AAA to find rates. Should I just call and hope to get a different agent?
You can't link your actual membership card to SPG but you can link that you are a AAA member to your SPG account. This will make it so the website always shows you the AAA rate and I think your account still becomes Preferred Plus (hard to tell after the new changes). You still have to show your membership at check in if you use a AAA rate. You can do it yourself. You don't have to call. Just log into your SPG account and go to your profile and edit your contact information. You will see a blank for a set number. Enter 298940
Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #922
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer

Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRay View Post
Maybe this has already been posted or is old news but I just wanted to let those of you that are going to the Dolphin know that I got an email from Travel Zoo for rates at the Dolphin during select dates in Aug. and Sept of $129 a night.

You can go to travel zoo's website or google it to find the rate I thought it sounded like a pretty good rate and I wish I could go at that time and use it!
That's a good price, we booked a standard room for Aug 10 -12, with AAA discount $125 not too bad...both nights with $14 daily fee, taxes, etc.. $309. they wanted first night deposit which we paid.
i've been reading about asking for free upgrades when you arrive...How do you get these? are they the same standard room but with better views? i have a new SPG membership, does this help with getting a better room location, without paying extra ? sorry for all the questions, never stayed at the dolphin before but looking forward to our stay! Lots of good reviews =)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #923
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainyaeq View Post
That's a good price, we booked a standard room for Aug 10 -12, with AAA discount $125 not too bad...both nights with $14 daily fee, taxes, etc.. $309. they wanted first night deposit which we paid.
i've been reading about asking for free upgrades when you arrive...How do you get these? are they the same standard room but with better views? i have a new SPG membership, does this help with getting a better room location, without paying extra ? sorry for all the questions, never stayed at the dolphin before but looking forward to our stay! Lots of good reviews =)
Everything depends on how full the resort is. If there is availability, you may get upgraded -- but yes, it is typically the same room with an upgraded view and/or balcony. Your SPG membership may help, but unless you're gold or platinum the membership doesn't get you an upgrade.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #924
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
Everything depends on how full the resort is. If there is availability, you may get upgraded -- but yes, it is typically the same room with an upgraded view and/or balcony. Your SPG membership may help, but unless you're gold or platinum the membership doesn't get you an upgrade.
Thanks, that was quick! i'll ask at the front desk when we arrive,
...going to attempt my ticker here for our oct vacation, hope it works =) i'm such a newbie!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #925
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks, that was quick! i'll ask at the front desk when we arrive,
...going to attempt my ticker here for our oct vacation, hope it works =) i'm such a newbie!
YEAH it worked!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #926
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Hi All! Just got back from two weeks at the BC...had a great time! Now, I'll be planning our Easter break trip to S/D. I've stayed at the Dolphin before, but never the Swan. I believe I'll be booking the Swan, since the Dolphin is fully booked on March 24, 25 (must be a convention - I've heard that there are actually two), so since I don't feel like changing from one resort to the the other, I'll book the Swan.

Anyone know of any differences between the two?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #927
lizabu
DIS Veteran

The main difference is the Swan has 2 queens while the Dolphin has 2 doubles. The Swan also has a sink outside the washroom while I think the sinks are all inside the bathroom at the Dolphin. The Dolphin is slightly closer to the Grotto pool and is a bigger hotel. They have more restaurants and the laundry facilities are at the Dolphin. The Swan is slightly closer to the Boardwalk. Swan does not have rooms with Epcot views but the Dolphin does. The Swan doesn't have rooms with fireworks views but that said if you step out onto the balcony and look up you will see fireworks in many rooms. The scent they use in the lobby at the Swan is stronger than at the Dolphin.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #928
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been upgraded numerous times at various Starwood properties. I'm not gold or platinum. I have an SPG account. Always mark a special occassion on your reservation. If it's my first time there I tell the front desk this is my first visit to whatever city or country it is. Then if I saw something awesome I gush about the awesome thing I saw. The front desk is only human and they get caught up in my excitement to be there. Be friendly. If the hotel is fully booked even if they want to they can't upgrade you. Basically if the person at the front desk likes you and feels a connection they will want to upgrade you. I've never asked for an upgrade before so I don't know how that works. I've just been friendly and nice and excited to be there and waited and saw what happened.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #929
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
The main difference is the Swan has 2 queens while the Dolphin has 2 doubles. The Swan also has a sink outside the washroom while I think the sinks are all inside the bathroom at the Dolphin. The Dolphin is slightly closer to the Grotto pool and is a bigger hotel. They have more restaurants and the laundry facilities are at the Dolphin. The Swan is slightly closer to the Boardwalk. Swan does not have rooms with Epcot views but the Dolphin does. The Swan doesn't have rooms with fireworks views but that said if you step out onto the balcony and look up you will see fireworks in many rooms. The scent they use in the lobby at the Swan is stronger than at the Dolphin.
Is it a good scent?

*May 2015-Grand Floridian and Beach Club * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #930
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
Is it a good scent?
I was thinking the same thing! But I know the scent from the Dolphin, you will love it!~

Thanks for that comparison...we are really looking forward to this trip!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: