Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #571
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I have a quick question. I know questions about tipping are taboo, so I'm trying to think of how to ask this appropriately...

We are staying in a 2 bedroom grand suite, but there will only be 3-4 of us staying in it. How have others who have stayed in the suites handled this? I know some people tip per person, but since there are technically 2 bedrooms and the living room/dining room area, I wasn't sure if we should tip as if we were staying in 2-3 rooms? I hope this doesn't cause a debate. I just wasn't sure what the protocol was. Thanks!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #572
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I have a quick question. I know questions about tipping are taboo, so I'm trying to think of how to ask this appropriately...

We are staying in a 2 bedroom grand suite, but there will only be 3-4 of us staying in it. How have others who have stayed in the suites handled this? I know some people tip per person, but since there are technically 2 bedrooms and the living room/dining room area, I wasn't sure if we should tip as if we were staying in 2-3 rooms? I hope this doesn't cause a debate. I just wasn't sure what the protocol was. Thanks!
There won't be any debate! Tip whatever you feel is appropriate. How much work does your group create for the housekeeper?

Many guests tip per person in the room (no matter how big the area). Others just do a standard amount (like $5, $10, $15). Do whatever feels right to you.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #573
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
There won't be any debate! Tip whatever you feel is appropriate. How much work does your group create for the housekeeper?

Many guests tip per person in the room (no matter how big the area). Others just do a standard amount (like $5, $10, $15). Do whatever feels right to you.
Thanks! We're actually VERY neat, but will probably need towels and more COFFEE replenished each day. I'm just thinking....they'll have 3 beds to make, 3 bathrooms to clean, etc... There's a lot more to do than a normal guest room would have. That's why I wasn't sure
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #574
olive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissam2003 View Post
How do i find the stay connected rate? Is it listed online & i'm missing it or should i call the hotel? TIA
It's listed under special offers on the s/d page (you can click on the image at the top of the board). There it says it's only valid for 2012. So far when we have called we have been told the same thing.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #575
olive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It was cheaper for us because we booked a 1 bedroom grand suite with a teacher rate, and then added a second connecting bedroom with a stay connected rate. Like I posted above, not all reservations people we spoke to were "in the know" about doing this, but we finally spoke to someone who could make it happen
I believe we qualify for the teacher rate, too, as my husband teaches college. We were just told stay connected wasn't available yet for 2013. I assume it will be at some point, though. In the meantime, we have two separate rooms booked.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #576
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I believe we qualify for the teacher rate, too, as my husband teaches college. We were just told stay connected wasn't available yet for 2013. I assume it will be at some point, though. In the meantime, we have two separate rooms booked.
You're right...I don't know when it will be available for 2013? I just wanted you to have this info ready for when you're able to book. I think you'd definitely qualify for a teacher rate
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #577
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Quote:
You're right...I don't know when it will be available for 2013? I just wanted you to have this info ready for when you're able to book. I think you'd definitely qualify for a teacher rate
And even after you book (whether it's teacher rate, stay connected or some other), keep checking from time to time to see if a better rate is offered. If you find one, all you've got to do is call Swan/Dolphin and they will adjust your reservation.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #578
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
And even after you book (whether it's teacher rate, stay connected or some other), keep checking from time to time to see if a better rate is offered. If you find one, all you've got to do is call Swan/Dolphin and they will adjust your reservation.
YES! Although, I did this about 2-3 times and then I stopped because we have such an amazing rate right now that every time I called they acted like I was crazy for thinking I was going to get something better I felt a little embarrassed, but I wanted to be sure!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #579
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Two quick questions....

The list of what's included in the resort fee says:

$14 plus tax per night and will include the following:
Up to 60 minutes free local telephone calls, toll free and credit card access calls
20 minutes of Domestic long distance per day
Unlimited access to Resort’s health club facilities
In room High-Speed Internet Access
2 bottles of water daily

Is the internet access unlimited?

Also, could someone please remind me what the brand of the coffee maker is? We're wondering if we should see if we can buy some of the pod things before we come since we drink a LOT of coffee
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #580
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Internet use is unlimited. Not sure of coffee maker brand, but the coffee pads, Starbucks, will be given to you, as many as you want, just ask housekeeping. I drink a LOT too.

http://www.sweettmakesthree.com/wp-c...9/P1080021.jpg

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #581
Flews
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissam2003 View Post
I finally found the rate! However it is not available for Oct 4-8th however a One bedroom Suite split (since there's a pull out couch & 1 extra person) would bring our rate down majorly!

Has anyone stayed in the One Room Suite? Is is comfortable for 3? & the living area & bedroom are separate correct?
TIA
Lots of times. Two to a bed (or two to 2 beds); one on the pullout; very comfortable.

Lots of room in the parlour. The little kitchenette area comes in handy. Plus we always got two baths. (Some layouts vary, so check out the room diagrams online for yours.)

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #582
Flews
Earning My Ears

Quote:

As others say, it's what you are comfortable doing. We've stayed in this suite. We generally did $5 per bedroom, per day, leaving the money physically in each room.

We'd add an extra $5 if we were making a special request: ie more coffee/towels.

We'd leave more if we had a day when the kids were especially el destructo...

We also get great service, so we are happy to reward/encourage it.

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #583
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Is the internet access unlimited?

Also, could someone please remind me what the brand of the coffee maker is? We're wondering if we should see if we can buy some of the pod things before we come since we drink a LOT of coffee
The internet access is unlimited, and when you sign in to access it, there is a dropdown menu for which option you want. Be sure to select the option for "included in resort package". There is also a $5.95 per 24 hrs buyup option for those who have the resort package internet but would like to select the higher speed.
(* For those who are SPG platinum, your resort fee gets waived and you are entitled to select that higher speed buyup option without the additional charge.)

I'm at the Dolphin right now (leaving today -- boohoo!) and the coffee maker brand is "Warm Blends". The coffee is packaged in filter packs, and I'm assuming ground for a regular drip brew.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #584
santa's surpriz
DIS Veteran

Transportation to Dolphin from MCO

What is your preferred method of transportation to/from MCO to the Swan/Dolphin? Last year we used FL Tours and were very happy, but wondering what others have used, value of service and level of satisfaction. I liked FL Tours because it included a 30 min. stop at the grocery.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #585
NancyC1000
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa's surpriz View Post
What is your preferred method of transportation to/from MCO to the Swan/Dolphin? Last year we used FL Tours and were very happy, but wondering what others have used, value of service and level of satisfaction. I liked FL Tours because it included a 30 min. stop at the grocery.

Thanks!
We have used FL Tours and Tiffany Town Car (which also includes a grocery stop). We liked both and had no issues. Very good service. This year we are using Tiffany again because we had great service last year and the round trip was slightly less than FL Tours. I also like the $5.00 internet coupon that Tiffany Town Car gives! Hopes this helps.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: