Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #511
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears
 
LexiC123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: city of 10 million dreams...and one parking space!
Posts: 2,199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPP View Post
Now that is a room with a view.

From our center balcony at the Swan

Great view! Hope you're enjoying your stay.
__________________
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
LexiC123 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #512
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,276

After missing two summers of the Dolphin - last year we went on a cruise to Bermuda for our 25th anniversary, and this summer we just returned from an Adventures by Disney tour to London and Paris (simply wonderful!!!), we decided we missed our beloved Dolphin! Totally out of the box, we are returning in JANUARY for 8 nights!! Will be very interesting to see what we think of the weather, since we have done five straight blistery hot Junes!

DD doesn't return for the Spring semester of college until late January, so we thought we'd try a time when most are already back at school and we can leisurely stroll the parks.

What type of clothes do you pack for January?
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #513
Dan Murphy
We are family.
 
Dan Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 77,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
.....What type of clothes do you pack for January?
Almost everything to take care of temps from a bone chilling high 30's to a summer-like low 80's. My Dec trips have had both on the same trip, Jan is about the same at Dec, though a bit chillier. Dressing in layers is quite common.

That upper 30 or lower 40 temp is not like your NJ or my Chicago temp. That feels not bad to us at home during the winter, but at WDW, that temp goes to your bones.
__________________
Dan-'Let's Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand'--We are Family

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net







.
Dan Murphy is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #514
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Almost everything to take care of temps from a bone chilling high 30's to a summer-like low 80's. My Dec trips have had both on the same trip, Jan is about the same at Dec, though a bit chillier. Dressing in layers is quite common.

That upper 30 or lower 40 temp is not like your NJ or my Chicago temp. That feels not bad to us at home during the winter, but at WDW, that temp goes to your bones.
Why is that, Dan? Is it because it's not what we "expect" for Florida?

I hope it won't be too cold! lol We won't mind missing "pool weather" for one trip, but I would hate to be miserablely freezing. lol Do they keep any of the holiday decorations up into mid January?
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #515
Dan Murphy
We are family.
 
Dan Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 77,807

I have had trips where it was 55-75 and just perfect. But when it is chilly, even like 50, with no sun (evening), breeze coming off water everywhere at WDW, and oftentime just standing or walking in the chill (at home, you are generally in some place, in a car, or walking to and from a warm place). You are outside a lot at WDW.
__________________
Dan-'Let's Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand'--We are Family

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net







.
Dan Murphy is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #516
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection
 
Mouseteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boston Proud
Posts: 3,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
After missing two summers of the Dolphin - last year we went on a cruise to Bermuda for our 25th anniversary, and this summer we just returned from an Adventures by Disney tour to London and Paris (simply wonderful!!!), we decided we missed our beloved Dolphin! Totally out of the box, we are returning in JANUARY for 8 nights!! Will be very interesting to see what we think of the weather, since we have done five straight blistery hot Junes!

DD doesn't return for the Spring semester of college until late January, so we thought we'd try a time when most are already back at school and we can leisurely stroll the parks.

What type of clothes do you pack for January?
I was in WDW Dec. 26-Jan. 1 a few years ago. I must have had a brain crunch as I didn't check what the weather could be in winter. It was quite cold most of the days we were there. I ended purchasing 3 sweatshirts including a hoodie to serve as a jacket to layer I was so cold. At night, I really wished I had my gloves, winter coat and a hat for my ears. It didn't turn to low 70s until New Years Eve. I, too, have only experienced Disney during the summer months or April or October so Dec/Jan were a weather surprise.
__________________
Mouseteacher is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #517
love~disney
Mouseketeer
 
love~disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 1455.38 miles from Disney
Posts: 301

Just booked our room for June 2013!! I am so pumped!!!
__________________
Mommy Daddy Sammy(6) Asher(4) Logan(4)






love~disney is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #518
onelilspark
DIS Veteran
 
onelilspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 7,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Why is that, Dan? Is it because it's not what we "expect" for Florida?

I hope it won't be too cold! lol We won't mind missing "pool weather" for one trip, but I would hate to be miserablely freezing. lol Do they keep any of the holiday decorations up into mid January?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I have had trips where it was 55-75 and just perfect. But when it is chilly, even like 50, with no sun (evening), breeze coming off water everywhere at WDW, and oftentime just standing or walking in the chill (at home, you are generally in some place, in a car, or walking to and from a warm place). You are outside a lot at WDW.
That's exactly it! You're normally inside or if you're outside, you're not spending all your time outdoors!

The biggest tip I can give is to bring gloves. It's amazing how much that helps. (Don't let my location fool you, I've only recently moved from Upstate NY.)
onelilspark is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #519
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!
 
MBELSANTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 1,219

Custom Cakes

The Swan bakery contacted me back and although they can do an cake with Eagle Scout design, they said they cannot do the Scout Mickey. Do you think it is because they are not part of Disney so they won't do characters?


Also another question is we have to be at DHS at 7:45am on Weds and Thursday morning of our trip for DS to take his class. Does boat transportation run at that time? TIA!
__________________
šOš MARIE šOš

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
MBELSANTI is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #520
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseteacher View Post
I was in WDW Dec. 26-Jan. 1 a few years ago. I must have had a brain crunch as I didn't check what the weather could be in winter. It was quite cold most of the days we were there. I ended purchasing 3 sweatshirts including a hoodie to serve as a jacket to layer I was so cold. At night, I really wished I had my gloves, winter coat and a hat for my ears. It didn't turn to low 70s until New Years Eve. I, too, have only experienced Disney during the summer months or April or October so Dec/Jan were a weather surprise.
Thanks for the responses! I guess we will pack for layering and include gloves and scarves!
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #521
melissam2003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Franklin, Louisiana
Posts: 17

Check In ?

Our trip is scheduled for OCT. we were originally flying in at night & would be a late check in however we are now a morning flight & will be arriving in Orlando around 11 am. My ? is should I ask for an early check in even though this isn't always guaranteed? & online where it says arrival time I'd assume to put our early time even though check in may not be available?

also I believe I read even if you cannot check in your bags can be left to go on with your day until check in is ready?

TIA
melissam2003 is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #522
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissam2003 View Post
Our trip is scheduled for OCT. we were originally flying in at night & would be a late check in however we are now a morning flight & will be arriving in Orlando around 11 am. My ? is should I ask for an early check in even though this isn't always guaranteed? & online where it says arrival time I'd assume to put our early time even though check in may not be available?

also I believe I read even if you cannot check in your bags can be left to go on with your day until check in is ready?

TIA

It's hit or miss if your room will be ready for early check in but you can definitely leave your bags with the bellman and they will hold them so you can go out and enjoy your day! They will call you when your room is ready if you would like.
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #523
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!
 
MOM POPPINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Trenton, Texas
Posts: 3,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
After missing two summers of the Dolphin - last year we went on a cruise to Bermuda for our 25th anniversary, and this summer we just returned from an Adventures by Disney tour to London and Paris (simply wonderful!!!), we decided we missed our beloved Dolphin! Totally out of the box, we are returning in JANUARY for 8 nights!! Will be very interesting to see what we think of the weather, since we have done five straight blistery hot Junes!

DD doesn't return for the Spring semester of college until late January, so we thought we'd try a time when most are already back at school and we can leisurely stroll the parks.

What type of clothes do you pack for January?
How was Disney Adventures to London and Paris? We have been to London in the past but not with Disney Adventures.
__________________

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

MOM POPPINS is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #524
Ramsfan28


Mouseketeer
 
Ramsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
The Swan bakery contacted me back and although they can do an cake with Eagle Scout design, they said they cannot do the Scout Mickey. Do you think it is because they are not part of Disney so they won't do characters?


Also another question is we have to be at DHS at 7:45am on Weds and Thursday morning of our trip for DS to take his class. Does boat transportation run at that time? TIA!
Boats run approximately 1 hour prior to park opening. You will have to make the short 15 minute walk to be there at 7:45 am.

I believe you are correct about the bakery, though they were able to put Disney figurines on a cake I asked for a few years back.
__________________
Greg
Follow me on Twitter: @RamsAngels



Ramsfan28 is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #525
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran
 
SRUAlmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 9,282

Does anyone know if the S & D release an activities calendar monthly? I just saw on the BWI and Y & BC threads that they released the June calendars for things like restaurant hours, pool hours, swim in movies, games/activites, etc... I was just wondering if this was something released at the S & D too? Thanks!
__________________
Me DH Our "Baby"
**Christmas 1994 - POFQ
**Christmas 1997 - Polynesian
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Đ 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: