Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #496
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
HI all,

Thanks to SRUAlmn I have a restaurant.com cert to Garden Grove for dinner. Do they only offer buffet for dinner and which night has the best food (seafood, Mediterranean or Southern BBQ)?
Thanks for the shout out! We want to try the BBQ night, but haven't heard anything else about it. I can't even offer to try it and let you know since we'll be there at the same time! Hopefully we can find some info
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #497
JLa01844
Mouseketeer

Currently booked at POP! for Dec 2-10 but I am seriously considering booking the S/D. I am figuring the time we spend traveling on buses would be worth the extra money on the room. (We LOVE epcot, and the boardwalk/boardwalk restaurants) We are on a budget, about $4k budget which is kinda small for a week+ at Disney for 3.

ANyone have any tips on getting the best resort rate? Is it the Entertainment book? Anyone have a general idea what a good rate is for a standard room? I currently have a 30% pin attached to my name so, I'm really needing to justify the extra expense for s/d.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #498
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLa01844 View Post
Currently booked at POP! for Dec 2-10 but I am seriously considering booking the S/D. I am figuring the time we spend traveling on buses would be worth the extra money on the room. (We LOVE epcot, and the boardwalk/boardwalk restaurants) We are on a budget, about $4k budget which is kinda small for a week+ at Disney for 3.

ANyone have any tips on getting the best resort rate? Is it the Entertainment book? Anyone have a general idea what a good rate is for a standard room? I currently have a 30% pin attached to my name so, I'm really needing to justify the extra expense for s/d.
HI,

I used my AAA card and was able to get $188.10 per night plus tax and resort fee. I think total it ended up being $225 per night. Plus I get a $50 credit to use at the resort. I though this is an excellent price for a deluxe Epcot resort. I am going mid June.

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #499
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
Welcome back!

Unfortunately, just booking a room with the AAA rate doesn't link your AAA account with your SPG account. If you call SPG Customer Support at (888) 625-4988 and give them your AAA number, they can link your accounts.

And yes, Garden Grove is buffet only for dinner. I haven't eaten there (yet), but I've read some good things about the seafood buffet and the Mediterranean buffet. Haven't seen anything about Southern BBQ night.

Here's a really good review of Mediterranean Night from the Dining Review Board: Part 1 ....Part 2
THank you for the tips. I am going to call them tomorrow and I am going to check out those reviews now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan28 View Post
I have ordered 4 different cakes over the years from the S&D baker. They all were incredible and exactly what I ordered.

I contacted the concierge and she took my order via email.
This is great to hear! I emailed them yesterday and attached the clipart of the scout Mickey. I haven't heard back from them today though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Thanks for the shout out! We want to try the BBQ night, but haven't heard anything else about it. I can't even offer to try it and let you know since we'll be there at the same time! Hopefully we can find some info
I think I am going to go for the BBQ...DS is picky eater and won't eat seafood and it seems the Mediterraneum is too exotic for him too. The fried chicken sounds up his alley LOL!

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #500
NBCGal
Been there done that... Do it again or where to go next?

S&D food & wine classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
I agree with you, but I want to add that the 2nd night it poured all day and most of the night. They moved the entire event (bands and all!) inside the Swan and it was spectacular!! It was so well organized and run that you would have sworn their intention all along was to hold it indoors. Superb job, Swan & Dolphin!
LOL! That was our wedding day! The ceremony was supposed to be on Luau Beach at the Poly, but Disney moved us into the Poly lobby. We had a wonderful time despite all the rain. The next day the weather cleared & we honeymooned at the Swan.

Sounds like we'd enjoy it so I think we'll book our tickets. Thanks for your responses everyone!
R M
Jac Zero Boo!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #501
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:

Check the "offers" page: http://swandolphin.com/offers/ There could be something there that will work for your trip. (If not, check back from time to time. )

Do you have AAA, are you a nurse, teacher, or do you work for the Government? There are usually discounts available if you qualify.

You might also call the Swan/Dolphin direct and ask for the lowest rate available for your dates. They may have something you haven't found in your searches (1-888-828-8850).

If you can't afford to stay there the entire trip, how about a split stay? Disney makes it pretty easy to change resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGal View Post
LOL! That was our wedding day! The ceremony was supposed to be on Luau Beach at the Poly, but Disney moved us into the Poly lobby. We had a wonderful time despite all the rain. The next day the weather cleared & we honeymooned at the Swan.

Sounds like we'd enjoy it so I think we'll book our tickets. Thanks for your responses everyone!
If a rainy wedding day means good luck for the marriage, you and your husband are definitely all set!!

There's a group of us who will be there for the Classic. Please join us if you'd like: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2852869 (We are anxiously awaiting Epcot's paid events and seminars schedule!)

We did one of the Classic's seminars last year -- the Wine Blending -- and are booked again! The total cost with tax is $45, but I feel it is well worth it. The seminars are not conducted by a Vendor, but by the wonderful Swan Dolphin staff.

http://www.swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #502
Dan Murphy
We are family.

New www.restaurant.com discount code, GRADS. 60% off normal $10 for $25 certificates, net $4 for $25.

http://www2.restaurant.com/consumer-..._rid=174593207

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #503
gumbo1009
...flawed product of a deranged mind...

Quote:
Be sure to check Orbitz as well - I got a room at the Dolphin for less than $100 per night (downside: I did have to pay in advance, which may be an issue for some folks).
Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #504
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo1009 View Post
Be sure to check Orbitz as well - I got a room at the Dolphin for less than $100 per night (downside: I did have to pay in advance, which may be an issue for some folks).
Wow! Great rate!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #505
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

The teacher and nurse rates are amazing if you qualify. We are staying in a 2 bedroom grand suite with the teacher rate + a stay connected rate for the second bedroom, and I was when I saw the retail value (rack rate) of our room! The total with tax and resort fees should have been a little over $13,000 and we are paying less than 1/3 of that!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #506
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
Check the "offers" page: http://swandolphin.com/offers/ There could be something there that will work for your trip. (If not, check back from time to time. )

Do you have AAA, are you a nurse, teacher, or do you work for the Government? There are usually discounts available if you qualify.

You might also call the Swan/Dolphin direct and ask for the lowest rate available for your dates. They may have something you haven't found in your searches (1-888-828-8850).

If you can't afford to stay there the entire trip, how about a split stay? Disney makes it pretty easy to change resorts.

If a rainy wedding day means good luck for the marriage, you and your husband are definitely all set!!

There's a group of us who will be there for the Classic. Please join us if you'd like: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2852869 (We are anxiously awaiting Epcot's paid events and seminars schedule!)

We did one of the Classic's seminars last year -- the Wine Blending -- and are booked again! The total cost with tax is $45, but I feel it is well worth it. The seminars are not conducted by a Vendor, but by the wonderful Swan Dolphin staff.

http://www.swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/

Has anyone else done any of the seminars? We will be there that weekend and they sound like a lot of fun. How long do they last? Of course still can't decide on the Swan or Dolphin.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #507
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnurse View Post
Has anyone else done any of the seminars? We will be there that weekend and they sound like a lot of fun. How long do they last? Of course still can't decide on the Swan or Dolphin.
Me again! I know there are others who did the seminars - hopefully someone else will post soon! When I did the Wine Blending last year, Deb & Debra, from Allears were seated across the aisle from me. Deb gave the seminar a glowing review on allears.net!

The seminars all start at 4:30 and last one hour. The most you could do would be one Friday; one Saturday. When the seminar is over, it's time to head out to the Causeway (or to the Swan ballroom if it's pouring rain!) for the Food & Wine!

If you look at the seminar choices and who will be leading them, these are the creme de la creme of Swan/Dolphin food & beverage service and they really know their stuff!

OK, now someone else who went last year -- time to give ctnurse your reviews!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #508
OurLittleFamily
Mouseketeer

I just want to sub to this list to keep an eye on things. We are planning a trip for January and we're debating between here and Port Orleans French Quarter. We're coming down for the marathon, so this seems like it would be a good location for the race.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #509
SCPP
Mouseketeer

Now that is a room with a view.

From our center balcony at the Swan

Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #510
patty57
DIS Veteran

Wow...awesome view!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: