Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #481
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

They only count adults on your reservation.
Dolphin rooms holds 5 people, Swan rooms hold 4 people.

We have a DS over 18 - and a DD under 18, so our reservation just says 3 adults - but they know our DD is also in the room with us.

If over 2 adults, it is an extra $25 each night for each extra adult (18 and over) in the room.

But, we are a family, and no one is left behind - so our almost adult DS is paid for by us.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #482
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Teacher Discount Question:
What kind of proof do they need- a pay stub? I am a preschool teacher, does that count? M-f 8:30-3:30 I put my time in I do not have any form of teacher ID- is it certified public school teachers only?
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #483
NancyC1000
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic View Post
What kind of proof do they need- a pay stub? I am a preschool teacher, does that count? M-f 8:30-3:30 I put my time in I do not have any form of teacher ID- is it certified public school teachers only?
My husband is a college professor and we qualify for the teacher's discount. We just bring a copy of his most recent pay stub for proof. Hopes this helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #484
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic View Post
I am a principal in a Catholic school but I have state certification which I have shown upon check-in. I have heard that a pay stub suffices and perhaps a letter from your administrator on school letterhead as a back up.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #485
magsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
As far as I know, the teacher/nurses discounts are standard discounts offered by the resort year-round, every year.

I just linked to the Dolphin reservations page through the Teacher discount link and dates are available for booking through November 2013, although the months of June and July are blocked. I plugged in random dates for April, August and October and came up with rates of $219, $149 and $169, respectively.

The good thing about these rates is that you can book a room now, and if a better rate comes along later on, you can re-book up to 5 days before your arrival without incurring any kind of penalty.

Good luck with your planning.
Check rates carefully. I am booked for President's Week 2013. Teacher rates just came out and they are substantially higher than rates I got for 2012 and 2011. Fifty dollars more per night higher. I booked a AAA rate initially and called regularly to see if teacher rates were out. I managed to drop to a better AAA rate ($23 less) and that rate, while much higher than I would like, is better than the teacher rate that was finally released. I'm so disappointed and will keep checking the rates. My first choice is the Dolphin but with these rates, I'll be switching to POR if free dining comes out for my dates. The Dolphin is not the deal it has been in the past for that week.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #486
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

How long does the Dolphin leave up their Christmas decorations?

How is the weather in January?

We ALWAYS go in the summer, but now that DD is in college, we have more leeway with her time off. We were thinking of fitting in a visit after the New Year, before Spring semester begins. Any feedback from anyone who has gone to WDW at this time of year? Thanks!!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #487
olive
Mouseketeer

I understand that it is pretty variable. We did a January trip for January 2011. We got to Orlando on New Years Day and stayed a little less than 2 weeks. It was freezing cold! My husband ran the NY marathon (November) and the Disney marathon and he was pretty uncomfortable so early in the morning in the cold. We bundled up a lot (had to buy gloves and hats there), and we definitely cut our days shorter because of the cold. I also ended up at the ER midway through the trip with pneumonia, which didn't help. That said, some of our family got there a few days earlier and were able to swim, and apparently it is not unheard of for it to be swimming weather here and there in January. Although we were initially scared off by our January experience, we are going to try it again this coming January. (We went last May/June, too, and swore we would never do another cold weather trip with such a great experience in terms of both weather and crowds on that spring trip, but we changed our minds.) If we have bad weather luck again, this will probably be our last winter trip! My husband teaches at a college and I will be on maternity leave, so we though it would be a perfect time to take a longer vacation. We'll see how it pans out! I've got my fingers crossed for both of us.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #488
NBCGal
Been there done that... Do it again or where to go next?

S&D food & wine classic

Has anyone experienced the Swan & Dolphin food & wine classic? We've done the food & wine fest at EPCOT a few times & wonder how this event compares.
R M
Jac Zero Boo!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #489
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Ohhhhh I spent the last 40 minutes looking at that map. Thank you for sharing!

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #490
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

HI all,

I have been out of commission for several weeks now, so I had about 20 pages of catching up to do!
I am down to 3 weeks left before we depart and have a few more questions.
Thanks to SRUAlmn I have a restaurant.com cert to Garden Grove for dinner. Do they only offer buffet for dinner and which night has the best food (seafood, Mediterranean or Southern BBQ)?

Has anyone ever ordered a special cake through their baker? I want to get a cake with Mickey dressed as a boyscout. I found a clipart for it online.

And I am reading about all of the upgrades so I tried to log in tonight to see if I can tell if my AAA is linked and it says the site is down If I booked with my AAA and received the discount, am I automatically linked with AAA?

Thanks again for all of the help you guys have given me! I am so looking forward to our stay!!

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #491
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
HI all,

I have been out of commission for several weeks now, so I had about 20 pages of catching up to do!
Thanks to SRUAlmn I have a restaurant.com cert to Garden Grove for dinner. Do they only offer buffet for dinner and which night has the best food (seafood, Mediterranean or Southern BBQ)?

Has anyone ever ordered a special cake through their baker? I want to get a cake with Mickey dressed as a boyscout. I found a clipart for it online.

And I am reading about all of the upgrades so I tried to log in tonight to see if I can tell if my AAA is linked and it says the site is down If I booked with my AAA and received the discount, am I automatically linked with AAA?

Thanks again for all of the help you guys have given me! I am so looking forward to our stay!!
Welcome back!

Unfortunately, just booking a room with the AAA rate doesn't link your AAA account with your SPG account. If you call SPG Customer Support at (888) 625-4988 and give them your AAA number, they can link your accounts.

And yes, Garden Grove is buffet only for dinner. I haven't eaten there (yet), but I've read some good things about the seafood buffet and the Mediterranean buffet. Haven't seen anything about Southern BBQ night.

Here's a really good review of Mediterranean Night from the Dining Review Board: Part 1 ....Part 2
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....
12/14 Swan

DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #492
melissam2003
Earning My Ears

I have a quick ?

I was going through our reservations on my SPG app on my phone & our room type is listed as a DLX Balcony King & then is list its features. I reserved a resort view king...is this the same? JW because when I sign into our SPG on computer it is the same as the day I reserved but noticed this on the APP. Its not a big deal no matter what both are balcony resort view jw if there is a difference.

TIA
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #493
Ramsfan28

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
HI all,

I have ordered 4 different cakes over the years from the S&D baker. They all were incredible and exactly what I ordered.

I contacted the concierge and she took my order via email.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #494
Ramsfan28

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGal View Post
Has anyone experienced the Swan & Dolphin food & wine classic? We've done the food & wine fest at EPCOT a few times & wonder how this event compares.
Much smaller is scale but the food is far superior than what you will get in EPCOT in my opinion. The only probably when I went this past year was the weather, it poured for about a hour during the event.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #495
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan28 View Post
Much smaller is scale but the food is far superior than what you will get in EPCOT in my opinion. The only probably when I went this past year was the weather, it poured for about a hour during the event.
I agree with you, but I want to add that the 2nd night it poured all day and most of the night. They moved the entire event (bands and all!) inside the Swan and it was spectacular!! It was so well organized and run that you would have sworn their intention all along was to hold it indoors. Superb job, Swan & Dolphin!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: