Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #3091
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Goofy4tink - sorry for your housekeeping issues! Since the Dolphin is such a large complex, I tend to call the housekeeping line when we leave for the day and let them know the room is ready to be cleaned. It always is ready when we return! :-) "SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I like this tip. I might try it next time. Every day we went back to our room for a break at 2 or 3 and our room was never made up. We had to call or stop by the Front Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm not at the gold level yet!!!! I haven't had a housekeeping issue before, which is why I was so surprised! Guess I should have called them but really didn't think it was needed. Oh well...looks like the Swan for me the next time. I was sorry I didn't get to see you and Val at any point!!! That's what I thought might have happened but since they cleaned twice, that wasn't the case.
How long was your stay? They have a Gold challenge where you stay 9 nights in 3 months and you get upgraded to gold. If your stay was recent they can count those nights towards the 9 you need. Just call SPG.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #3092
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie

I have a few questions -
I just found out I could get the teacher discount for our trip this summer. We are a family of 5, do we would be at the Dolphin, but the price is great. We have 3 teenage boys, are we going to be too crowded, or will it be about the same as a WDW resort. We would need a roll a way bed.
What is the best way to get from the airport?
We stayed at the Polynesian and Contemporary and had the dinning play the last 3 trips, but our last trip was in 2007. It has been so long, I am really our of planning practice.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #3093
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
I have a few questions -
I just found out I could get the teacher discount for our trip this summer. We are a family of 5, do we would be at the Dolphin, but the price is great. We have 3 teenage boys, are we going to be too crowded, or will it be about the same as a WDW resort. We would need a roll a way bed.
What is the best way to get from the airport?
We stayed at the Polynesian and Contemporary and had the dinning play the last 3 trips, but our last trip was in 2007. It has been so long, I am really our of planning practice.
It will be a bit crowded, but not any worse than being at a WDW moderate. A roll away bed will be a great thing..or bring an air mattress with bedding. That's what I tend to do if I need extra sleeping space.
The Mears shuttle is wondeful, but for you it would be cheaper to use a car service. It's about $35 r/t pp on Mears. A car service will run about $120 or so, plus tip. You would need a larger car than the Lincoln though..maybe a van. But it should cost the same. Unless you booked a true limo.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #3094
vicb
DIS Veteran

With a town car you get a grocery stop which can save a bunch of money
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #3095
lizabu
DIS Veteran

That's what we did. We booked it through the Swan/Dolphin Concierge page. We had a van for 7 through Mears. It's was $90 some odd dollars there and $60 some odd dollars back. They stopped at the super Walmart and we bought snacks and cereal.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #3096
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?

The deal I can get is great, but I am worried about the space (the boys will be 14, 14 & 18). We would have to do a roll a way bed, since we are flying - a first for the twins. The boys would love a limo, and with the saving we we be getting we could do it,
Will we miss the Disney magic? We are also looking at the Beach Club.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #3097
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
.....Will we miss the Disney magic? We are also looking at the Beach Club.
If I missed the Disney magic, I would not stay there. It is great, and you are in the middle of it. You will not miss the magic.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #3098
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
If I missed the Disney magic, I would not stay there. It is great, and you are in the middle of it. You will not miss the magic.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #3099
afcgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The deal I can get is great, but I am worried about the space (the boys will be 14, 14 & 18). We would have to do a roll a way bed, since we are flying - a first for the twins. The boys would love a limo, and with the saving we we be getting we could do it,
Will we miss the Disney magic? We are also looking at the Beach Club.
I agree with above poster, you definitely won't miss the magic. I am staying at Yacht Club next March, but stayed at Swan last March and we loved it! I don't understand people who say there is no "magic"at Dolphin, you are surrounded by the Boardwalk, YC, BC, and have views of Epcot. Tons of magic around you! We are definitely going back to Dolphin/Swan! And the pool is better than any Disney resort we have stayed at. You will have a great time.

July 2004: Wilderness lodge/Disney Wonder
July 2005: POR
March 2006: Pop Century
August 2006: Wilderness Lodge
July 2007: Polynesian Resort
July 2008: Coronado Springs
July 2-11, 2009: Coronado Springs
March 2011: Coronado Springs
March 2012: Coronado Springs
March 2013: The Swan
Upcoming: March 2014: The Yacht Club!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #3100
wildcard898
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcgirl View Post
I agree with above poster, you definitely won't miss the magic. I am staying at Yacht Club next March, but stayed at Swan last March and we loved it! I don't understand people who say there is no "magic"at Dolphin, you are surrounded by the Boardwalk, YC, BC, and have views of Epcot. Tons of magic around you! We are definitely going back to Dolphin/Swan! And the pool is better than any Disney resort we have stayed at. You will have a great time.

I definitely agree - stayed in a Fireworks View Room at the Dolphin in March for a friend's birthday and it was amazing! The pool is incredible too!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #3101
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

I admit I kind of missed the magic at the Swan. Part of the problem may have been very cold weather, so we hardly used the pool or outdoor areas. Location-wise, it was good, and it was nice to be able to boat to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. But I preferred the Polynesian or even the Yacht Club. Polynesian was far from perfect but I missed the magic of being on the Monorail loop and seeing the castle and fireworks. It's probably just been too long since we paid the Poly/YC bills Swan definitely was easier on the wallet.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #3102
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcgirl View Post
Agree.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #3103
vicb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetomouse View Post
I admit I kind of missed the magic at the Swan. Part of the problem may have been very cold weather, so we hardly used the pool or outdoor areas. Location-wise, it was good, and it was nice to be able to boat to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. But I preferred the Polynesian or even the Yacht Club. Polynesian was far from perfect but I missed the magic of being on the Monorail loop and seeing the castle and fireworks. It's probably just been too long since we paid the Poly/YC bills Swan definitely was easier on the wallet.
I actually agree about cold weather playing a role in diminishing the "Disney Magic" at any resort.... I felt that way 4 years ago when we stayed at CSR and it was a cold snap in Feb. We swam our first day and that was it, we needed hats and gloves it got so chilly. Our resort was pretty much just our room at that point, it was our first stay at a mod after staying Poly, BWI and BC so we missed attached lobby (it can be a long walk outside at CSR) and the Epcot area a lot.

Last stay DH and I tried Dolphin and it was good, a little convention-ish but we just love the Epcot area so we felt right back in the disney magic, plus it was April so it was warm.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #3104
ckelly14
Lurker

I also enjoy the BC more that the Swan or Dolphin, but since I usually stay for free, it's a no brainer. If you pay cash, it's usually half the price of the BC. I guess it's how much that extra "magic" is worth to you...
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #3105
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
I also enjoy the BC more that the Swan or Dolphin, but since I usually stay for free, it's a no brainer. If you pay cash, it's usually half the price of the BC. I guess it's how much that extra "magic" is worth to you...
So true! We stayed in a two bedroom grand suite two years ago at the Dolphin. It was so nice to have all that space to spread out, three bathrooms, etc... For similar space we would've had to book 3 standard rooms at a Disney resort which would've cost of 3x what we paid at the Dolphin.....however.....it felt a little strange to come back from the parks all sweaty and rain-soaked and have to excuse ourselves through the lobby bar full of business people in their suits! This year we've opted to pay a little more and do a two bedroom at BLT. We felt like we wanted a little more magic this year, but the Dolphin is a definite option in the future when we're trying to spend a little less!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: