Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #2551
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovintheLodge View Post
I don't understand why there would be a 'service' charge here?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I think because they bus your table when you are done. Starwood likes to have lots of extra fees in general.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #2552
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2CrazyGirls View Post
Thanks! How does the food compare to typical Disney counter service? It seems a bit pricey on the menus I have seen.
The food is decent - I'd say comparable to Disney CS's. I have never had breakfast there (Fresh is my choice for that! ) - they do serve Starbucks coffee though!

They have a good selection of grab-and-go type sandwiches/salads and a nice selection of made-to-order food.

They charge the 13% even when you take the food to go. It's never been an issue for me though. I've always had courteous service and edible food!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #2553
LovintheLodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

The food is decent - I'd say comparable to Disney CS's. I have never had breakfast there (Fresh is my choice for that! ) - they do serve Starbucks coffee though!

They have a good selection of grab-and-go type sandwiches/salads and a nice selection of made-to-order food.

They charge the 13% even when you take the food to go. It's never been an issue for me though. I've always had courteous service and edible food!
You beat me to my next question (i.e. if they charge when taking food out). Thanks RachelTori!

Kerry

Beach Club - Aug 2010
Wilderness Lodge - Aug 2005
All Star Sports - Nov 2000 (1st family trip)
Offsite - May 1988
Offsite - Jan 1983
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #2554
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovintheLodge View Post
You beat me to my next question (i.e. if they charge when taking food out). Thanks RachelTori!

Kerry

You're welcome! I figured that was an important point to make!

We've taken many a meal "to go" to our room!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #2555
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwhite View Post

I have found that reviews of ANYTHING in the disney area to be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing makes people expect more than "the once in a lifetime trip to disney world."
Agree! When we went 3 years ago I was the one who found the SD for us, I was the fifth wheel with my brothers family . Until we got there some of those reviews had me worried. It was my brother and SIL took their daughters and I didn't want our hotel choice to "ruin" our trip.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #2556
swebb0310
Mouseketeer

Swan vs Dolphin?

So, I am looking at the Swan/Dolphin for a long weekend because they have a teacher rate that's 149, or 169 per night. I was wondering a couple of things.
1. Which would you choose, Swan or Dolphin?
2. Is the teacher rate worth it? or is there a better option, like AAA?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #2557
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb0310 View Post
So, I am looking at the Swan/Dolphin for a long weekend because they have a teacher rate that's 149, or 169 per night. I was wondering a couple of things.

Thanks!
You can read through all these pages and get that many different opinions! Lol
We choose the Dolphin because it is busier and bigger. The Cabana Bar area is lots of fun, the restaurant choices are terrific and the location is perfect! We like to sit in the big lobby and people watch! But, there will be just as many who will choose the Swan! Either one is terrific!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #2558
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!
We are choosing the dolphin with 2 kids because: (1) Picabu CS restaurant, (2) laundry, and (3) usually a little cheaper. Would prefer the queen beds at Swan to the doubles at Dolphin, but the other 3 reasons outweigh for the extra inch of bed. But since you are only doing a weekend, those 3 might not matter to you. I have a teacher rate held right now, but am aware AAA might end up better. I hear to keep calling weekly to see if the rate has dropped.

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #2559
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just click on Special Offers on the S/D website and you can find out the AAA rate to see if it's better.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #2560
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I stay at the Swan most trips. I have stayed at the Dolphin twice. I prefer the smaller, quieter, more compact layout of the Swan, Dolphin is too big and spread out. I generally do visit the Dolphin every day, usually for some meal, whether Picabu, Fresh or the Fountain. The Garden Grove in the Swan is a nice buffet restaurant, also character meals. The pool area is equidistant from both resorts, lying at one end of the property between the two. If you might be doing laundry often, Dolphin does have the laundry facility.

The Cabana Bar on the Dolphin side and the Splash Terrace on the Swan side make for nice relaxing with light meal and/or drinks.

Regardless which you stay at, both are only yards from each other, so getting back and forth is but literally a couple minutes walk time. And if raining, the walk area has a covered section also.

This linked aerial gives you a pretty good idea of the layout. You can zoom in/out, rotate, etc.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nqt...UzQW51bGwlN0Q=

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2561
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I stay at the Swan most trips. I have stayed at the Dolphin twice. I prefer the smaller, quieter, more compact layout of the Swan, Dolphin is too big and spread out. I generally do visit the Dolphin every day, usually for some meal, whether Picabu, Fresh or the Fountain. The Garden Grove in the Swan is a nice buffet restaurant, also character meals. The pool area is equidistant from both resorts, lying at one end of the property between the two. If you might be doing laundry often, Dolphin does have the laundry facility.

The Cabana Bar on the Dolphin side and the Splash Terrace on the Swan side make for nice relaxing with light meal and/or drinks.

Regardless which you stay at, both are only yards from each other, so getting back and forth is but literally a couple minutes walk time. And if raining, the walk area has a covered section also.

This linked aerial gives you a pretty good idea of the layout. You can zoom in/out, rotate, etc.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nqt...UzQW51bGwlN0Q=
Thanks for the info! If walking from swan to dolphin, I don't see a covered path...can you point it out? Also, can you bring laundry from swan to dolphin or is that tacky?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #2562
Tege
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyPA View Post
Hello!

I can't answer for the TIW/AAA question... But I highly recommend Tiffany Towncar. You can book online and get a coupon... We paid $130 plus tip round trip for a family of five. If you are only 4 and can fit in a town car, the fee should be less. They were very prompt and professional. And will supply car/booster seats at no charge. My three year old needed a car seat and it was clean and safe. They will also stop at a grocery store at no charge for supplies if you like.

Have a great trip!
I'm not the OP to this but I just wanted to say Thanks Cindy for the info about Tiffany Towncar. They are exactly what we were looking for. We plan to use them in October and December since we are staying at the Swan both times. They should really be giving you a referral fee, I might not have found them otherwise
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #2563
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I am now officially getting excited for our first stay at Dolphin... my fam is Disney spoiled,and I hope it all goes well, they just love being on property,I think I'm going to love walking to Epcot even more! Is Picabu a restaurant?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2564
lmminghe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Also, has anyone stayed recently? The trip advisor reviews are pretty terrible, and many people comment it was nice but has gone down hill I always take reviews with a grain of salt...
I just got back from an 8 night stay (7 at the Swan and 1 at the Dolphin). Althought the Swan is a Westin property and the Dolphin is a Sheraton I found little difference between the two. I travel quite a bit for work and stay at Westins which are usually way more deluxe than the Swan. Our room at the Swan was fine - clean and the beds are indeed Heavenly! We had to move to the Dolphn for one night because the Swan was sold out the last night of our stay. The room at the Dolphin unfortunately was dirty. The toilet was noticeably dirty. There was food crumbs on the floor near the sink and on the counter near the coffee maker. As we were only there to sleep and I travel with Clorox wipes, I tidied up and did not bother to call anyone to complain. I am sure if I did they would have made amends and I want to stress this can happen at any of the resorts. IMO, I do not think the accomadations are as deluxe as some of the other Disney deluxe hotels but for the price you simply cannot beat the location. I think if you understand that before staying you will not be dissappointed. The location and all the surrounding restaurants are wonderful!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #2565
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Thanks for the info! If walking from swan to dolphin, I don't see a covered path...can you point it out? Also, can you bring laundry from swan to dolphin or is that tacky?
Click the zoom one or two times to zone in on the walkway. The open walk is in the middle, both sides are covered, color is greenish.

Laundry? Tacky? Heck no, I see plenty of people walking with what I think is maybe laundry. I would keep it in a bag though, not just in your arms, you might lose a sock, LOL.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: