Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #2476
bek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
It is a great pool area, even just for relaxing and having a Cabana Bar cocktail!!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovintheLodge View Post
I agree SingingMom! When I was there for a conference years ago I ate lunch at the cabana bar one day...love the atmosphere.

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Glad to hear the Cabana Bar should be checked out. I have it in my notes as another counter service option in addition to Picabu. I know the menu is probably limited but I think the grandkids would probably enjoy dining by the pool.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #2477
luvmy3boyz
Earning My Ears

My husband and I stayed at the Dolphin last September and we really loved it. We've stayed at many of the Disney resorts in the past and have some real favorites, but the locaion of the Dolphin was wonderful and we loved the atmosphere. Getting to Epcot and Hollywood Studios was a breeze.

We are returning to the Dolphin this September and I just had a question on room location. We had booked a resort view room and were in the East wing (room 11089) and had a view to the left of Illuminations and were looking towards the Swan, and had a fairly panaoramic view. The only problem was is that we overlooked the roof with one of the fountains. (We were a floor or two above.) We liked the general convenience of the location, though.

We are booked again in resort view and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a location to request. Also, we booked through Costco, but are Starwood members, but I did not add that info the the reservation yet (need to call and see if I can do that...)

Thank you!

Magical Disney Trips - Polynesian, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Pop Century
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #2478
PrinceOfPeace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3boyz View Post
My husband and I stayed at the Dolphin last September and we really loved it. We've stayed at many of the Disney resorts in the past and have some real favorites, but the locaion of the Dolphin was wonderful and we loved the atmosphere. Getting to Epcot and Hollywood Studios was a breeze.

We are returning to the Dolphin this September and I just had a question on room location. We had booked a resort view room and were in the East wing (room 11089) and had a view to the left of Illuminations and were looking towards the Swan, and had a fairly panaoramic view. The only problem was is that we overlooked the roof with one of the fountains. (We were a floor or two above.) We liked the general convenience of the location, though.

We are booked again in resort view and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a location to request. Also, we booked through Costco, but are Starwood members, but I did not add that info the the reservation yet (need to call and see if I can do that...)

Thank you!
Is Costco a better price than Disney?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #2479
luvmy3boyz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfPeace View Post
Is Costco a better price than Disney?
It seemed to be a better price. The price included the resort fee, the 6th night free, and a $100 resort credit (which we will use for Shula's). You were able to choose the level of park tickets that you wanted.

There is a $100 per person cancellation fee, though, and the park tickets are paid up front and non-refundable. However, when I priced it out using other discounts (AAA, for example), it was definitely a better price. The park tickets could be used another time if the trip were canceled for any reason.

When we went the last time, we had gotten a good deal through Expedia.

Magical Disney Trips - Polynesian, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Pop Century
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #2480
Parrotheader
Mouseketeer

What's the difference between a 'standard' and 'resort' room?

We'll be there around Thanksgiving and were originally planning to stay at WL DVC via renting points, but that fell through. I was then thinking of just staying in a Moderate resort, but with my wife's teacher discount the Swan actually come out about the same (with much nicer amenities/location.)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #2481
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek View Post

Glad to hear the Cabana Bar should be checked out. I have it in my notes as another counter service option in addition to Picabu. I know the menu is probably limited but I think the grandkids would probably enjoy dining by the pool.
We enjoy the food at the Cabana Bar much better than Picabu! :-). Menu is pretty nice. Atmosphere can't be beat!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #2482
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

We are thinking of staying at the Swan end of Sept.

We will be using dh ff miles. The only rooms available to use his miles with are standard view.

He is also a Starwoods member.

What would the chances of getting the one category upgrade be? Does he have to ask for this at check in?

Since we are booking through the airline, they only have a comment section online and I am thinking of noting his starwoods member number. Is this a good idea? My only request would be to be near an elevator due to my mobility issues.

We have stayed here before but so long ago. I think its a great location to be for the Food and Wine Festival.

Also its says you get 2 bottles of water? Is this correct? It would really help as I have about 6 pills to take each day and cant drink the unfiltered regular water etc.

TIA for any insights
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #2483
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
We are thinking of staying at the Swan end of Sept.

We will be using dh ff miles. The only rooms available to use his miles with are standard view.

He is also a Starwoods member.

What would the chances of getting the one category upgrade be? Does he have to ask for this at check in?

Since we are booking through the airline, they only have a comment section online and I am thinking of noting his starwoods member number. Is this a good idea? My only request would be to be near an elevator due to my mobility issues.

We have stayed here before but so long ago. I think its a great location to be for the Food and Wine Festival.

Also its says you get 2 bottles of water? Is this correct? It would really help as I have about 6 pills to take each day and cant drink the unfiltered regular water etc.

TIA for any insights
I would call directly to request a room close to the elevator and make sure you explain it s for your mobility issues.
Your resort fee includes 2 bottles of water per day. There have been occasions when they were not left, but a quick call to housekeeping took care of it.
We have gotten room upgrades at check-in. It is on availability.

Enjoy your stay! :-)

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #2484
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Just booked a SWVacation stay at Dolphin for 6 nights for the beginning of the F&W . We have APs already so the air and hotel, inclusive of the daily room charges for internet, etc., $100 credit and room upgrade is a bit under $1500. DH is already talking about the beds.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #2485
lmminghe
Earning My Ears

Question on early ADR in Epcot

We are heading to the Swan for the first time in 10 days!! We have an 8:25 am ADR at Akerhaus which is before the park opens that day. My question is if we want to walk can we gain access through the World Showcase? If we take the boat where does that drop us off? TIA
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2486
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Boats to and from the International Gateway drop you off at the same place you would be walking to!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Bay Lake AKL and Boardwalk December 14

Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #2487
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmminghe View Post
We are heading to the Swan for the first time in 10 days!! We have an 8:25 am ADR at Akerhaus which is before the park opens that day. My question is if we want to walk can we gain access through the World Showcase? If we take the boat where does that drop us off? TIA
You can gain access through the International Gateway. When you arrive at the gate, tell the security folks that you have an ADR. They will ask your name and provided it is on the list (or you can show your reservation sheet), they will admit you prior to your seating time. When we were there in May, a family arrived nearly an hour before their ADR AND to top it all off, their name wasn't on the list. Thankfully the Mom of the group had her handy dandy cell phone with Disney App and produced her reservation. The security people held them at the gate until one half hour before their reservation seating time and then admitted them.

The boats do run an hour before park opening, but it would probably be faster to walk depending upon your walking speed.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #2488
lmminghe
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much! I will definitely have all of my reservation numbers with me - thanks for the reminder! Glad to know that we can gain access through the International Gateway. We have always entered through the main entrance so I wanted to make sure.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #2489
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone!

We will be staying at The Dolphin for the first time in just a few weeks!! I have a couple of questions, and hope you all can help.

First, we have TiW and AAA. Does the AAA discount cover alcohol the same way that TiW does?

Second, which is the fastest, easiest transportation from the airport to the hotel? A taxi or a town car? We have 5 year old twins, and will have their booster seats with us. We don't want a shuttle or bus because we don't want to have other stops, or wait around for it to load. We just want to hop in a car and go I'm leaning towards a taxi, but I've never tried to get one at an airport while also bringing along carseats/boosters, and I'm not sure how that would work.

Anyway, thanks any advice, and I'm looking forward to our stay! We usually stay at BWI or BC and love the Epcot area. We just could not turn down the deal we got on the Dolphin through travelocity!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #2490
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Hey S & D fans! I am new to trying to figure out Travelocity and I wondered if anyone could help. If I put in Lake Buena Vista there are quite a few top secret hotels that are great deals! Some say free Disney shuttle and fitness center which might be the swan or dolphin? Does anyone know the details to determining which ones are the swan and dolphin? How many stars? What the rating out of 5 is? It looks like the dolphin's rating is 4/5. Help! We're thinking of taking a second trip this year, so a great deal might make or break the decision!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: