Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #2371
calmpets
DIS Veteran

I just officially booked the Dolphin for the Swolphin Food & Wine Classic in October. Yippee! Any tips for a first-timer to both that event and to the Dolphin? I've read through this thread cover to cover, so I know the basics (I think).
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #2372
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmpets View Post
I just officially booked the Dolphin for the Swolphin Food & Wine Classic in October. Yippee! Any tips for a first-timer to both that event and to the Dolphin? I've read through this thread cover to cover, so I know the basics (I think).
Remember to take time to enjoy the lovely resort atmosphere, too! We really love to sit in the lobby after a long day at the parks and people watch with a cocktail. Cabana Bar at the pool has great food selections in a pretty setting. We just love the Dolphin! Hope you do, too! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #2373
bek
Mouseketeer

I have a 1 bedroom Executive Suite booked at the Dolphin for the end of June for my DH, stepson, his wife and their 3 children -- 3, 5 & 7. After looking at the Executive Suite photos earlier in the thread, I'm concerned about being on the ground floor. I don't like the water a few steps away with young children.

So I'm going to call down with some room requests and I'd love your input.

I'm thinking of requesting a balcony. It'd give my SS and his DW a bit of extra space in the evening and would make sure we're not on the ground floor. Is it possible to get a balcony with an Executive Suite and how many floors high do balconies go?

I also read that being near the pool can be noisy and that the boat whistle signals can be too much. Should I just request "quiet" or is there a more specific request that would minimize noise?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #2374
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek View Post
I have a 1 bedroom Executive Suite booked at the Dolphin for the end of June for my DH, stepson, his wife and their 3 children -- 3, 5 & 7. After looking at the Executive Suite photos earlier in the thread, I'm concerned about being on the ground floor. I don't like the water a few steps away with young children.

I'm thinking of requesting a balcony. It'd give my SS and his DW a bit of extra space in the evening and would make sure we're not on the ground floor. Is it possible to get a balcony with an Executive Suite and how many floors high do balconies go?

I also read that being near the pool can be noisy and that the boat whistle signals can be too much. Should I just request "quiet" or is there a more specific request that would minimize noise?

Thanks for your help!
In our six stays, we have never been bothered by noise, truly. Even sitting on our balcony, I have never noticed "noise".

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #2375
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek View Post

Thanks for your help!
We are also staying in a 1 bedroom executive suite from the 19th - 25th! Maybe our visits will overlap some?

I think those were my photos you were looking at! For that suite we did not have any balcony area, so their is no concern about your children having access to the water, if that was your concern. Personally I would be more concerned about a balcony with small children, especially if you were concerned about them being near water. Our attached room was also not a standard room, possibly a handicap room, which we loved. If we ended up with a standard room on our June trip I think we would be a little disappointed.

The 1 bedroom executive suite we were in had two rooms attached to it, one with a king and our room with the two double beds. The king size room may have had a porch/balcony. I can't remember if it was that one or the room next to it?

We were located on the other side of the hotel, near the friendship ferry dock. It was nice and quiet for our stay. That said I don't know where all the executive suites are located, so some may have balconies, but I don't remember reading about any that do,
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #2376
bek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
We are also staying in a 1 bedroom executive suite from the 19th - 25th! Maybe our visits will overlap some?

I think those were my photos you were looking at! For that suite we did not have any balcony area, so their is no concern about your children having access to the water, if that was your concern. Personally I would be more concerned about a balcony with small children, especially if you were concerned about them being near water. Our attached room was also not a standard room, possibly a handicap room, which we loved. If we ended up with a standard room on our June trip I think we would be a little disappointed.

The 1 bedroom executive suite we were in had two rooms attached to it, one with a king and our room with the two double beds. The king size room may have had a porch/balcony. I can't remember if it was that one or the room next to it?

We were located on the other side of the hotel, near the friendship ferry dock. It was nice and quiet for our stay. That said I don't know where all the executive suites are located, so some may have balconies, but I don't remember reading about any that do,
Love the photos! Thanks for posting them. I've been concerned about whether there will be enough space. I'm debating pricing the 2-bedroom Executive Suite. My DH thinks it'll work out fine with just the 1-bedroom suite since it's only a few days. We'll probably take the standard room and the kids/grandkids will probably stay in the "parlor" room.

It'd be great to locate a hotel schematic with where the different type rooms are located. But maybe that doesn't exist.

When they say "wet bar" does that mean just a sink with mini-fridge?

We will overlap. We will be there June 22-26. I guess I need a lime green Mickey! Isn't that the DisBoard signal?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2377
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Thanks bek, I'm glad you, and hopefully others, have found the photos useful. Here's the link if you want to take a look again.

As far as the size of your party I think a 1-bedroom will work out for you, but it depends on how you want to use the rooms. You might be better off letting the kids/grand kids use the standard room, although I'm not sure if they could fit 3 in a bed. One could always sleep in the parlor or see if you can get a hide-a-bed. In our case my brother, SIL and 2 nieces (4, 2) stayed in the standard (but not standard) room and I got the parlor room to myself . Then when the kids went down for a nap or sleep the adults had the parlor and all the extra room for ourselves!

Others have had discussions on a floor plan for the executive suite and came to the conclusion that they probably arn't standard and vary!

As far as the wet bar is concerned our parlor had a 3 or 4 foot counter with cabinets and a fridge under it. The "standard" room had a very nice separate cubby hole with two countertops for a "wet bar"! We used it for 2 year olds pack-n-play with room to spare. That said I wouldn't expect getting that configuration.

I'll keep an eye out for a lime green Mickey . If you wan to find me, just look for a thin 6' 4" guy with bright orange sneakers on.

Last edited by mikegood2; 06-03-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #2378
figmentswife
One little spark will light your fancy

OMG - Only 11 days until our mother/daughter Disney trip...and first stay at the Swan!!!!! So excited!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2379
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentswife View Post
OMG - Only 11 days until our mother/daughter Disney trip...and first stay at the Swan!!!!! So excited!!!
Get packing!!!

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #2380
figmentswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Get packing!!!
Everything that can be packed has been pa led for weeks... Matching shirts, toiletries.... I can't wait to be there. We have eaten at the swan many times but never stayed, I am excited to be able to walk to Epcot and DHS.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #2381
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

We are exactly two weeks out from our second stay at the Dolphin! Actually at this exact time or plane should be in the air! An early wave to you figmentswife incase we cross path during our stays. Also, you are ahead of me in the packing department. I'll get started over the weekend. I do believe that I have bought everything I need though.

While I'm excited about our trip, I can't believe it's two weeks ago! A few weeks ago it felt so far off.

Also sadly my parents had to cancel a few months ago, but maybe that is a blessing indisguise.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2382
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentswife View Post
Only 1 day until my family's trip!

Quote:
We are exactly two weeks out from our second stay at the Dolphin! Actually at this exact time or plane should be in the air! An early wave to you figmentswife incase we cross path during our stays. Also, you are ahead of me in the packing department. I'll get started over the weekend. I do believe that I have bought everything I need though.

While I'm excited about our trip, I can't believe it's two weeks ago! A few weeks ago it felt so far off.

Also sadly my parents had to cancel a few months ago, but maybe that is a blessing indisguise.
The bolded made me laugh -- we're always doing "at this time one week from now" or "48 hours from now", etc.

I shamefully admit, I still have to pack all clothes and all toiletries. On the plus side, I have a list of everything I need to pack. I did pack all food and other miscellaneous items. Anyhow, super excited for tomorrow!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #2383
figmentswife

Quote:

Let's plan a meet up. I have a couple already set up. The 19th at 4pm at Epcot, for slushies, and 20th at Epcot at 9:45 in front of The Land Pavilion. Also, the 20th evening at Animal Kingdom 4:30pm at Dinosaur. Feel free to join the FB June group.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #2384
rea59
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what the dress code is for Todd English Bluezoo Restaurant? Is it casual or do men have to wear a shirt with a collar?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #2385
figmentswife

Oh and.....2 weeks from RIGHT NOW.....We will be at Magic Kingdom, my guess it at about this time we will be heading to Pirates to see the creepy mermaids.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: