Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #211
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
9 days till Mom/Daughter Mothers Day weekend at the Dolphin!!!

We'll just miss one another--we're there in 16 days! Actually, we originally planned to be there that weekend, but opted for later in May to bump up against and get home for Memorial Weekend. I hope you have a great time.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #212
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
We'll just miss one another--we're there in 16 days! Actually, we originally planned to be there that weekend, but opted for later in May to bump up against and get home for Memorial Weekend. I hope you have a great time.
Thanks Tess! Sorry we'll miss each other this trip. Maybe next time!

Wishing you a wonderful trip also!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #213
Gipperland
Mouseketeer

I found the direction how to request the alcove room on this thread. It was towards the beginning. Try around page 4. The room had 4 windows and tons of space. I will try and figure out how to upload our pics. The room was so nice that it was hard to leave it?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #214
chrisf21
Earning My Ears

swan/ dolphin or hyatt grand cypress or caribe royale?

I am torn again value verses convenience and amenities. We have 3 nights, June 15-18th flying in from NY. Have stayed at Swan before. Thought it was nice, boat was slow to parks though, waited almost 40 minutes each time for it to come. Love the restaurants... they were great, most memorable was the Italian restaurant where we had two waiters wait on us and amazing Osso Bucco. Bed comfy etc... noisy from work below us going on this was 2009. Our favorite place in Orlando is the Royal Pacific at Universal, but we have been so many times (six I last counted) that we are trying to change it up. We would like to not over spend or feel like we don't have good restaurants, beds atmosphere etc... The lowest rate for Swan I could find is 209 plus resort fee plus tax, unless I buy a AAA membership I can get 179 plus resort fee tax etc. I can get 125 for Caribe Royale or 129 for Hyatt Grand Cypress. I hear the shuttle there is bad though? I have never stayed at the last two and rarely have stayed off site. I don't like the rooms at the Disney Moderate level... I got spoiled from RP and from Polonesian back when Disney only had that and the Contemporary! (Did I just date myslef, I am only 36!) lol. I have seen the Boardwalk rooms and that location is good but out of my budget. We are not doing the parks except at night for dinner and maybe fireworks show. I have some injuries that I think its best not to attempt carzy rides right now. Maybe a few of the calm ones in Epcot.... What would you do? Would you spend the extra to be at the Swan/Dolphin or would you save the money and stay somewhere else? Comfy bed is very important to me as is a nice pool and restaurants! I paid 159 for Swan last time, so I have a hard time paying so much more this time.....
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #215
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
9 days till Mom/Daughter Mothers Day weekend at the Dolphin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Enjoy, guys!!!

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #217
Dan Murphy
We are family.

No, just the 180....no +10

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #218
melliej
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf21 View Post
I am torn again value verses convenience and amenities. We have 3 nights, June 15-18th flying in from NY. Have stayed at Swan before. Thought it was nice, boat was slow to parks though, waited almost 40 minutes each time for it to come. Love the restaurants... they were great, most memorable was the Italian restaurant where we had two waiters wait on us and amazing Osso Bucco. Bed comfy etc... noisy from work below us going on this was 2009. Our favorite place in Orlando is the Royal Pacific at Universal, but we have been so many times (six I last counted) that we are trying to change it up. We would like to not over spend or feel like we don't have good restaurants, beds atmosphere etc... The lowest rate for Swan I could find is 209 plus resort fee plus tax, unless I buy a AAA membership I can get 179 plus resort fee tax etc. I can get 125 for Caribe Royale or 129 for Hyatt Grand Cypress. I hear the shuttle there is bad though? I have never stayed at the last two and rarely have stayed off site. I don't like the rooms at the Disney Moderate level... I got spoiled from RP and from Polonesian back when Disney only had that and the Contemporary! (Did I just date myslef, I am only 36!) lol. I have seen the Boardwalk rooms and that location is good but out of my budget. We are not doing the parks except at night for dinner and maybe fireworks show. I have some injuries that I think its best not to attempt carzy rides right now. Maybe a few of the calm ones in Epcot.... What would you do? Would you spend the extra to be at the Swan/Dolphin or would you save the money and stay somewhere else? Comfy bed is very important to me as is a nice pool and restaurants! I paid 159 for Swan last time, so I have a hard time paying so much more this time.....
For me personally, I would stay at Swan/Dolphin (though I have not stayed off property).
The AAA membership is definitely worth it. I think it is only about $50 and you would make that back with your reservation alone, not to mention the discounts you would receive at some of the restaurants on property. Personally, I prefer to not have to take the buses (or a shuttle) to every park, so the Epcot Resorts are the favorite in our house. We visited over spring break and never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the boats. We do LOVE walking too (I really don't like being on someone else's schedule). I know you mentioned that you have some injuries, so that might limit your walk, but it is awesome just walking out of Epcot after the fireworks and strolling back to your room past the Boardwalk and not having to wait in a line for your ride back! My husband is always so much happier on our Epcot nights.
OH, AND THE BED ARE SO COMFORTABLE!
Have a great trip!
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #219
patty57
DIS Veteran

I've had AAA for years. I have never once used it as intended for my car. I use it for discounts, especially hotels. To me, it is well worth the investment. Sorry, I can't comment on your hotels. I'm staying at the Swan for the first time next month, and have never stayed at either of the other two. I would always pick onsite vs. offsite.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #220
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Enjoy, guys!!!
Thanks Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Just booked our Dec 6-9 stay, redeeming points yay!

Quick question, I tried the search feature but cannot find my answer.....can I make dining reservations 180 + 10 like I do when I stay at a WDW resort?
Love those Starpoints!!

Since WDW started requiring credit card guarantees, it's been easier to get reservations at most of the restaurants less than 180 days out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I've had AAA for years. I have never once used it as intended for my car. I use it for discounts, especially hotels. To me, it is well worth the investment. Sorry, I can't comment on your hotels. I'm staying at the Swan for the first time next month, and have never stayed at either of the other two. I would always pick onsite vs. offsite.
AAA does pay for itself in discounts, but they have also come to my rescue on several occasions when my vehicle broke down. The peace of mind of having that service alone makes AAA worth the yearly dues.

Enjoy your Swan vacation! (I predict you will love it! )

Quote:
The rates at Swan & Dolphin will vary, depending on season and room availability. Dolphin will generally be $10 to $20 less per night than Swan; although there are times when the opposite will be true.

I would definitely spend the extra money to stay onsite at Swan/Dolphin. The room, the beds and the location are well worth the extra $$$ (IMHO)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #221
chrisf21
Earning My Ears

Dolphin/ Swan vs. Hyatt Grand Cypress, Caribe Royale

Thank you for the responce... I think since we are only there for 3 nights, you may be right.. convenience is more important. I am leaning towards getting the AAA card. I think the local will be good for what we do, and I remember the pool being decent from the last stay.

For some reason the Dolpin is about 50 bucks more than the swan on those dates.. supposedly they said it is 80% full where as Swan is not quite at 50% full. I wonder if any better rates will come out, or should I just book now? We'll see...

Any particular shows or restaurants you would recommend at the Boardwalk or Downtown Disney? I know we will go back to the Italian restaurant at Swan/Dolphin but we also like Sushi, Thai, and good Seafood. Loved Circ Du Solei "Love" in Vegas. Did not like Zarkana at all and I thought Myster was decent, but not nearly as good as Love. Is the resident Cirque show at DD good or not as good as other shows? Any dueling pianos or old time big band music somewhere? thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #222
el_tigre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you for the responce... I think since we are only there for 3 nights, you may be right.. convenience is more important. I am leaning towards getting the AAA card. I think the local will be good for what we do, and I remember the pool being decent from the last stay.

For some reason the Dolpin is about 50 bucks more than the swan on those dates.. supposedly they said it is 80% full where as Swan is not quite at 50% full. I wonder if any better rates will come out, or should I just book now? We'll see...
I would book the AAA rate and I would do it now. If you do find a better rate, you can always cancel and rebook. The only downside is that the Swan holds the first night's rate as a deposit, and it always takes a little longer for the deposit to come back than for them to take the new one.

I think rates will likely only go up. No first hand info, but the Dolphin's rates are likely higher because of a convention there. If they are 80% full, there's always a chance the Dolphin's room block could sell out and you know where the overflow will be.

Starwood is also currently running Starpicks, which offers their hotels at a discount on a nonrefundable rate. The Swan is currently being offered for dates over the next two months. Of the nights that are available, your dates are among the most expensive over that period. Best Available (refundable) Rates are also available during your dates, but Starpicks expire on Friday. I wouldn't be surprised to see further fluctuation after that.

Quote:
Any particular shows or restaurants you would recommend at the Boardwalk or Downtown Disney? I know we will go back to the Italian restaurant at Swan/Dolphin but we also like Sushi, Thai, and good Seafood. Loved Circ Du Solei "Love" in Vegas. Did not like Zarkana at all and I thought Myster was decent, but not nearly as good as Love. Is the resident Cirque show at DD good or not as good as other shows? Any dueling pianos or old time big band music somewhere? thanks!
Can't help you with Cirque; I've only seen Mystere, and that was about ten years ago. But you do have Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk. They are a dueling piano bar about a five minute walk from the Swan.

The sushi at the Swan's Kimono is very good (if you can ignore the bad karaoke ). Bluezoo in the Dolphin is probably the best seafood restaurant on property too.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #223
patty57
DIS Veteran

We have seen Cirque's La Nouba at Downtown Disney and loved it! I can't compare to the other shows because we have only seen La Nouba.
Another plus to having AAA is if you have kids who drive. I like knowing that my 18 & 19 year olds have roadside assistance with AAA.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #224
Dan Murphy
We are family.

La Nouba is every bit as good and enjoyable as the Cirque shows in Vegas.

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #225
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_tigre View Post
I would book the AAA rate and I would do it now. If you do find a better rate, you can always cancel and rebook. The only downside is that the Swan holds the first night's rate as a deposit, and it always takes a little longer for the deposit to come back than for them to take the new one.

You don't even have to cancel and rebook...just modify.

If you don't have AAA I would ask if the have the All Ears discount. Its not offered all the time but when it is its a similar rate to a nurses or teacher rate
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: