Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2191
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I returned from 8 nights at the Swan yesterday, and it was great- as always. I am very happy to be a GOLD Starwood member, because my "gold amenity" was free internet - saving me the $17 + tax/day resort fee. I don't like to pay for parking, but there's rarely a need for me to have a car for my entire stay - since I almost always fly. When I do rent a car for transportation between the airport and hotel, I rent from Alamo or National, and drop-off and/or pick-up the car at the Dolphin.

I spend more time at Epcot than the other parks, and I often end my day there. (That's because off Kilter usually plays 5 days/week - and I hear them whenever they play. ) I love being able to walk (or boat) back to the Swan at the end of the day. The few times I stayed elsewhere onsite (AKL/WL in 2009 and ASM in 2012) - I dreaded having to take the bus to go back to my resort.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #2192
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLuvsWDW View Post
Also, we are transferring over from Yacht Club. Will they move our bags over or should we walk them over that morning?
You'll have to walk them over.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #2193
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
When I do rent a car for transportation between the airport and hotel, I rent from Alamo or National, and drop-off and/or pick-up the car at the Dolphin.
We've stayed there twice now, but I've never noticed a rental car desk/area...where exactly is it? What kind of rates do you typically get? ( I know that can vary wildly...)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #2194
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
You'll have to walk them over.
They will move your bags to Swan/Dolphin for you!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Bay Lake AKL and Boardwalk December 14

Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #2195
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
We've stayed there twice now, but I've never noticed a rental car desk/area...where exactly is it? What kind of rates do you typically get? ( I know that can vary wildly...)
National/Alamo are at the Dolphin - just off the rotunda near the Dolphin fountain. I can usually get a compact car from the airport to the Dolphin for ~ $50 or less, but it depends on when you book and when you travel.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #2196
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
I returned from 8 nights at the Swan yesterday, and it was great- as always. I am very happy to be a GOLD Starwood member, because my "gold amenity" was free internet - saving me the $17 + tax/day resort fee.....
Welcome home, Nancy.

I forgot to mention the same. With a choice of several gold amenities, the waiving of the resort fee was by far the best for me, 6 nights at $17 plus tax was about $108 savings.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #2197
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Welcome home, Nancy.

I forgot to mention the same. With a choice of several gold amenities, the waiving of the resort fee was by far the best for me, 6 nights at $17 plus tax was about $108 savings.
Thanks, Dan. That gold amenity sure is a great perk! I hope to qualify for "lifetime gold" at the end of this year. Then I won't have to worry about staying 25 nights (or 20, if you have the Starwood Amex) per year at Starwood properties to requalify for Gold.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #2198
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLuvsWDW View Post
Just booked the Swan for the 3 nights at the end of a week long split stay. How much is the transportation option that you can book through the concierge at swan for transportation to the airport? Is it more than booking through Mears? When I went on the Mears website the only option was for a private car-$67 for 4 people.

Also, we are transferring over from Yacht Club. Will they move our bags over or should we walk them over that morning?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Yacht Club will send your bags to the Swan for you - I have done this many times both ways from a WDW resort to Swan/Dolphin and visa versa !!Don't expect them until at least check in time though!

Mears also has a shared shuttle service but for 4 people a private car or towncar service would be about the same and you have personal service.
Check a few of the companies recommended on the transportation board for recommendations on reliability and price. It may be worth it to just do a round trip for around 110/120 to the YC and then back from the Swan. Most companies also offer a free 30 minute grocery stop. We grab water, soda, snacks and fruit as well as beer & wine
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2199
Crazy Kanga
DIS Veteran

Hi old friends! I've been away for a few years now but am excited to say that after many resort changes(I should be on the RC thread) we have settled on The Dolphin for our late May trip! Yay!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2200
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Kanga View Post
Hi old friends! I've been away for a few years now but am excited to say that after many resort changes(I should be on the RC thread) we have settled on The Dolphin for our late May trip! Yay!!!!!!!
Woohoo!!! How ARE you?!?! :-) Hope you and yours are well!!
Renee

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #2201
chan3bbb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
You have to do what is right for your family and budget.

But.... Remember there is also a "value" placed on your time, too! I didn't like the busses for Port Orleans or the outside room entrances. We have now been at the Dolphin six times and won't stay anywhere else! The Friendship boats are so relaxing and we can also walk to Epcot, HS, and Boardwalk.

Hope you'll give the Dolphin a try! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm in totaly agreement. We just came back from the Dolphin, the 5 of us in an alcove room, and it was fabulous. Will definitely stay here again. The amount of $$ we saved paid for some fabulous meals at Chefs de France and Via Napoli, and Sci Fi Theatre.

Time is money, and being at the mercy of a bus (after a long day) is not optimal. Loved the boats and the walk. A very intimate feel vs. a third world urban vibe.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #2202
chan3bbb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I returned from 8 nights at the Swan yesterday, and it was great- as always. I am very happy to be a GOLD Starwood member, because my "gold amenity" was free internet - saving me the $17 + tax/day resort fee. .

Love being Gold Starwood . That is a big savings!

Another benefit of the Dolphin: you actually accrue points and are rewarded for your loyalty. Meaning: more free nights in the future! Hello, Disney? **cricket, cricket**
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #2203
bas71873
DIS Veteran

OK. So since I can't make up my mind and I still have time to decide because I'm waiting for Airtran to release their flights so I can compare to Jetblue and then book (therefore my dates might shift a bit), can someone pro & con the Swan vs. the Dolphin for me?

I'm pretty sure that if we stay Dolphin (where I"m booked right now with a AAA rate), I'm going to end up with a rollaway bed because of the double beds. So why not book at Swan where there are queens (DD and I share a bed when we travel because DH and I are used to a king and don't do well in smaller beds together. I value a good night's sleep )?

Does it really matter, Swan v. Dolphin or will I be happy at either. DH tells me just to quit stressing and book whatever I want.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008

Last edited by bas71873; 04-25-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #2204
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
There was something else new, I think. In the past, I have posted instructions here from the S/D engineering folks as to how to bypass the default settings on the thermostats for cooling/heating. On this trip, and I think the one in Dec also, I noticed that the thermostat stayed at whatever temperature and fan setting you set it at, rather than returning to the default after a short period (unless bypassed in the past).

With that the case, we found that it was wise to set the thermostat a bit higher when we left the rooms in the AM so as to not waste energy. Upon returning to the rooms, if we wanted it a bit cooler, the system brought the temperature down quite rapidly.

It was great to see you again too, Caroline. Natalie, Jeremy and Christopher enjoyed meeting you also. And that bug you sent me in the email was great, will have to show Christopher. And our server, your friend (Debra?) was so nice also.

Yes it is, Karen. Hope to meet you some day too.
Dan- you need to make another trip to Boston. I missed meeting you at the last Dis meet when you came to Boston. 😊
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #2205
SwirlyGirly
Mouseketeer

Hi! I have yet another quick question. Can the weekend, character breakfast buffet be booked or is it walk in only? Thanks!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: