Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1891
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

A small PSA for anyone staying at Swan soon. Take warm clothing! We were there last night celebrating a birthday at Kimonos & the entire hotel was cold. We are Floridians, so we're cold weather wimps, but we weren't the only ones freezing. It was cold & windy outside, but was also very cold inside. We ran to get inside to only still be cold. The joke was on us. We didn't make it to Dolphin, so I don't know what the inside temp was like there.

As a side note, Kimonos was great & they treated the birthday boy very special. They made a much bigger deal over his birthday than any of the Disney owned restaurants have. The cake I ordered didn't really look like a birthday cake, but it was delicious, which is what our DS preferred. I did take some decorations by earlier in the day & decorate it a little. Kimonos management was very accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I had the Pear & Brown Sugar martini at Kimono's last year & it was delicious!
http://swandolphinmeetings.com/menus...cocktails.html
You are so right! Unfortunately, I only got a little of it. I came armed with knowledge & ordered this drink. I tried to talk everyone into ordering that one, but they wanted to try something different. They ordered a Lychee Mojito & the Oriental Grape drink. First, my son stole my drink, & gave me the grape drink. Then the one who ordered the mojito didn't like it & took the grape drink. As usual, mom was stuck with the drink no one else wanted. I ordered another of the Pear & Brown Sugar martinis to actually have one to drink. They all passed it around & I ended up with the last sip of that one. I got 2 whole sips of that delicious drink.
(")_(")

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1892
dizzyblonde
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
As a side note, Kimonos was great & they treated the birthday boy very special. They made a much bigger deal over his birthday than any of the Disney owned restaurants have. The cake I ordered didn't really look like a birthday cake, but it was delicious, which is what our DS preferred. I did take some decorations by earlier in the day & decorate it a little. Kimonos management was very accommodating.

You are so right! Unfortunately, I only got a little of it. I came armed with knowledge & ordered this drink. I tried to talk everyone into ordering that one, but they wanted to try something different. They ordered a Lychee Mojito & the Oriental Grape drink. First, my son stole my drink, & gave me the grape drink. Then the one who ordered the mojito didn't like it & took the grape drink. As usual, mom was stuck with the drink no one else wanted. I ordered another of the Pear & Brown Sugar martinis to actually have one to drink. They all passed it around & I ended up with the last sip of that one. I got 2 whole sips of that delicious drink.
Awww, they should have been nicer to Mama - esp after all the planning she did for a great time!

YUCK - I don't care for lychee at all!
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #1893
dizzyblonde
Earning My Ears

Will we be able to park for free at other Disney resorts if we are staying at the Dolphin? I will be at a convention during the day, so I'm trying to convince my hubby to go to AKV to view the animals on the one day we do not have any park plans. But I'm not clear on whether or not he would be able to park there for free.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #1894
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

I booked a room at the Dolphin online through Expedia. Is there any way to link this reservation to the Disney website so I can do online check in? Do the S and D even do online check in via the Disney website?

TIA
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #1895
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!
It's a sad day when you thank your friends for boo-ing you
Apparently they don't know the power of the Cheerleaders

Quote:
Will we be able to park for free at other Disney resorts if we are staying at the Dolphin? I will be at a convention during the day, so I'm trying to convince my hubby to go to AKV to view the animals on the one day we do not have any park plans. But I'm not clear on whether or not he would be able to park there for free.
There is no fee for parking at the Disney resorts, so, you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
I booked a room at the Dolphin online through Expedia. Is there any way to link this reservation to the Disney website so I can do online check in? Do the S and D even do online check in via the Disney website?

TIA
S&D don't do online check-in through the WDW site.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #1896
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohlovr View Post
Hi Dan! Life's good. How about you??
All is well, Sue, thanks. Nice to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
A small PSA for anyone staying at Swan soon. Take warm clothing! We were there last night celebrating a birthday at Kimonos & the entire hotel was cold. We are Floridians, so we're cold weather wimps, but we weren't the only ones freezing. It was cold & windy outside, but was also very cold inside. We ran to get inside to only still be cold. The joke was on us. We didn't make it to Dolphin, so I don't know what the inside temp was like there.

Sounds like a great celebration!!!

Quote:
Parking at a Disney resort while visiting is always free. Never a charge, except for valet at the deluxes.

Quote:

TIA
No online checkin. No Disney linking.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1897
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help, re: online check in.

Next question...what are your experiences with checking in before 3? It's been a long time since I've stayed at S/D and I have no idea when we checked in. This year we'll be arriving on a Sunday, probably around 11 AM. I've never had trouble checking into other Disney resorts early and having my room ready - even as early as 7 am once - but I'm just wondering what to expect at the Dolphin. It's no big deal either way - just curious. Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #1898
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:

Next question...what are your experiences with checking in before 3? It's been a long time since I've stayed at S/D and I have no idea when we checked in. This year we'll be arriving on a Sunday, probably around 11 AM. I've never had trouble checking into other Disney resorts early and having my room ready - even as early as 7 am once - but I'm just wondering what to expect at the Dolphin. It's no big deal either way - just curious. Thanks!!
It will depend on occupancy the night before. I have often checked in early in the day and gotten right into a room, but if the resort was booked the night before you will have to wait for a room.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #1899
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We checked into the Dolphin around noon during our stay last December and our room was ready! It probably just depends on what crowds are like, if there is a convention, etc. during the time you are there. While we had no problem checking in early on Dec. 13, the lobby and check-in area were SWAMPED on Dec. 16, the day we left.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #1900
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy

We have stayed at the Dolphin six times and always arrive before 11 am - three times our room wasn't ready, three times it was. ;-). If it isn't ready, they will hold luggage. for you with the bell captain and call you on your cell when the room is ready, so you can go about your fun!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1901
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the responses to my check in question! I will be ready for anything and just excited to be there!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #1902
MiamiMere
Mouseketeer

Whew...made it through all 190 pages of this thread!!! Lots of good information. We are going to the Dolphin in May.... I have a random question. Do people swim in the lake by the beach/playground? I didn't see lifeguards so I wasn't sure if the beach was just for hanging out or people actually get in the water. Not that I would have any desire with the thought of a fresh water alligator or snake...YIKES! I just wondered...

Thanks!

2013 - Dolphin
2011 - AKL
2001 - Grand Floridian (Executive Disney Program)
1997 - Off-site (Marched in Disney parade)

(7) (3)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1903
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMere View Post
Whew...made it through all 190 pages of this thread!!! Lots of good information. We are going to the Dolphin in May.... I have a random question. Do people swim in the lake by the beach/playground? I didn't see lifeguards so I wasn't sure if the beach was just for hanging out or people actually get in the water. Not that I would have any desire with the thought of a fresh water alligator or snake...YIKES! I just wondered...

Thanks!
As far as I know, none of the Disney lakes are suitable for swimming...lots of nasty bacteria in there, in addition to random critters!

I highly recommend the hammocks on the beach, though.

*not my own photo...thanks Google!*

WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....
12/14 Swan

DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1904
MiamiMere
Mouseketeer

Yes, that's what I figured...but I was wondering. Being from Ohio, we are big lake people and do lots of boating/swimming in the lakes around here. I figured it was a different story in the lagoons around Disney.

The hammocks look great! I will be there with 3 year old and 7 year old boys...probably only get 30 seconds to relax in that hammock. LOL.... Sadly, my hammock days are long gone.

2013 - Dolphin
2011 - AKL
2001 - Grand Floridian (Executive Disney Program)
1997 - Off-site (Marched in Disney parade)

(7) (3)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1905
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Take a nerf football for the boys...DH and DS played beach football and DD stalked the ducks LOL. You might get to lie in that hammock for a little while anyway! Or send them out on the swan boats for 30 minutes
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: