Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #1681
phillytwins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
My kids still love the CS Picabu at The Dolphin, and Beaches & Cream at BC. They're both very very casual places. They also enjoy the breakfast buffet at Captain's Grille at YC. I can't believe the twins are 8 already!

We took a cab from Swan to Poly & it was $18 plus tip.

Have a great trip!
Thanks Tara! We haven't tried the BC and YC restaurants, but I think I might do it on this trip since we'll have 6 nts at Swan Yes, hard to believe the twins will be 8 for this trip. I think it's been 5 years since our dismeet?!

Thanks to cgattis too. I've always shied away from the Garden grove mediterranean night because the kids are picky. But maybe we'll check it out.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #1682
bas71873
DIS Veteran

What am I missing? I currently have a AAA rate booked for the Dolphin for a standard room for $188/night (and I'm pretty sure it's not going to get better than that, which is fine considering we are checking in on Turkey Day 2013). But, I was just looking at the S/D website and the 2013 specials, specifically, the Sunsational Savings "special" where you get a 6th night free, but when I plugged in my dates, the rate went up to well over $350/night for the same room I have booked? What kind of special is that, especially when the AAA rate is still available?

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #1683
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
What am I missing? I currently have a AAA rate booked for the Dolphin for a standard room for $188/night (and I'm pretty sure it's not going to get better than that, which is fine considering we are checking in on Turkey Day 2013). But, I was just looking at the S/D website and the 2013 specials, specifically, the Sunsational Savings "special" where you get a 6th night free, but when I plugged in my dates, the rate went up to well over $350/night for the same room I have booked? What kind of special is that, especially when the AAA rate is still available?
It could well be like the "free" dining at Disney. If something goes down in price, something else goes up. The price remains the same, or even more, but from a marketing perspective, some buyers perceive one pricing as better (even though it may not be) than a different pricing. It's all marketing.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #1684
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
It could well be like the "free" dining at Disney. If something goes down in price, something else goes up. The price remains the same, or even more, but from a marketing perspective, some buyers perceive one pricing as better (even though it may not be) than a different pricing. It's all marketing.

That's what I thought at first, but then thought WOW, quite a difference. It's even more than if you booked the Dolphin straight thru WDW's site. I think I'll keep my rate.

I do have one more question that I just thought about. Can we use Disney gift cards at any of the restuarants at the S/D? We will likely just be doing breakfast and drinks/snacks at the S/D, but I'm curious. Thanks.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #1685
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Disney gift cards can only be used in either of the two Disney gift stores, no restaurants.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #1686
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney gift cards can only be used in either of the two Disney gift stores, no restaurants.

Super. Thanks. Now I can narrow down how many I need to buy between now & November. Will likely only eat at S/D for breakfast and snacks, but good to know.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #1687
cindym
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
There is a conference there during my dates (Nov.30-Dec 7) so they are holding rooms. A phone agent told me this when I tried to get one of the specials. I think we were lucky to get the AAA rate before the conference set their dates!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1688
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym

There is a conference there during my dates (Nov.30-Dec 7) so they are holding rooms. A phone agent told me this when I tried to get one of the specials. I think we were lucky to get the AAA rate before the conference set their dates!
Ooh. Glad I'm booked then. Our dates are Nov 28 to Dec 4

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #1689
melliej
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
There are some for late July at the Dolphin: 7/23, 7/24, 7/25, 7/28 and 7/29.

I need some help from some SPG experts (RachelTori?). Some of my dates are available for points/cash, but when I change it from 2 adults to 2 adults/2 children, the dates grey out and I get this message at the bottom:

SPG Free Night Award and SPG Cash & Points reservations booked online can consist of 1 room, with up to 2 guests per room. Call SPG Customer Care for additional availability.

Is that true? You can only use C&P and free nights with just 2 guests? Even when the others are children? However, I notice it states "booked online". Does that mean if I call it would be different? TIA!
We stayed for 5 nights on points last spring. I booked over the phone, but noticed online that our stay mentioned 2 Adults/0 Kids (though it was for a queen/queen room). When I called to mention that we did have 2 children, they said the "kid count" didn't really matter, just the # of adults in the room and that we were fine. You can book online and always call to mention you will be traveling with children to cover yourself. Happy planning!
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #1690
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
There are some for late July at the Dolphin: 7/23, 7/24, 7/25, 7/28 and 7/29.

I need some help from some SPG experts (RachelTori?). Some of my dates are available for points/cash, but when I change it from 2 adults to 2 adults/2 children, the dates grey out and I get this message at the bottom:

SPG Free Night Award and SPG Cash & Points reservations booked online can consist of 1 room, with up to 2 guests per room. Call SPG Customer Care for additional availability.

Is that true? You can only use C&P and free nights with just 2 guests? Even when the others are children? However, I notice it states "booked online". Does that mean if I call it would be different? TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliej View Post
We stayed for 5 nights on points last spring. I booked over the phone, but noticed online that our stay mentioned 2 Adults/0 Kids (though it was for a queen/queen room). When I called to mention that we did have 2 children, they said the "kid count" didn't really matter, just the # of adults in the room and that we were fine. You can book online and always call to mention you will be traveling with children to cover yourself. Happy planning!
Yes, I agree, melliej! In fact, often times when I hit the "reserve" button, I later notice my reservation is for 1 adult!!! (with my travel pattern, I guess that's what it defaults to!) As long as you book the 2-bed option (not the King room, which is also available to book Cash&Points), there won't be any problems at check-in.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #1691
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know, can you add tickets to your room card or do you have to use the paper tickets if you stay at the Swan/Dolphin? The paper ones always seem to demagnetize and we had to get new ones a lot. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #1692
Dan Murphy
We are family.

No, you can not add perk tickets to a S/D room keycard.

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #1693
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, you can not add perk tickets to a S/D room keycard.
Ok. thank you. It's not a deal breaker, just hate having to constantly pick up new paper tickets!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #1694
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Do you know approx how much it would cost for a taxi? I remember the wait for a bus to return seemed endless in years past, but that was in June.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We never took a taxi from DTD, but we did take one from the POLY to YC ( as we left MK on monorail to dinner at POLY), I think it was $15-$20 with tip. It was well worth it as we had no other way back unless we went back to MK or DTD to transfer to YC. I felt time was more valuable!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1695
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytwins View Post
Hi Tara and fellow S/D fans!
We are headed back to the World next month. After two stays at the Dolphin, we are going to try the Swan for the first time. I can't wait!

A couple of questions -- any recommendations for dinner in the Swan or Dolphin (or in Boardwalk area) that my 8 year olds would like?
How much is a cab ride from Swan to Contemporary?

Tara - Enjoy planning your upcoming trips!
I think an 8yr old or actually any age would like Beaches & Cream over between BC/YC. It has an old soda shop theme, is less expensive than most Disney sit down restaurants (mainly hot dogs, hamburgers & great ice cream & floats), and its right by the arcade.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: