Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #151
Kidgoingon40
Mouseketeer

TaraPA, thank you I was looking at an older menu for picabu on allears, and it sounds great - I was surprised about the selection. I love that about the discount

I actually thought of a few more things that would help

About how long is the walk from the swan to Epcot?

About how long is the walk from the swan to the self parking?

We often like to bring our quick service food at the hotel to our room to eat. I read that picabu is cafeteria style - would we able to get our food in to go packaging so we could eat in our room?

Thanks again
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #152
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
Do all the restaurants in the resort give 20 percent off to AAA members?
The non-signature restaurants do.

Picabu, Fresh, Garden Grove, Fountain, Cabana Bar, Splash Grill.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #153
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidgoingon40 View Post
TaraPA, thank you I was looking at an older menu for picabu on allears, and it sounds great - I was surprised about the selection. I love that about the discount

About how long is the walk from the swan to Epcot?

About how long is the walk from the swan to the self parking?

We often like to bring our quick service food at the hotel to our room to eat. I read that picabu is cafeteria style - would we able to get our food in to go packaging so we could eat in our room?

Thanks again
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Walking-Distances.htm

Self parking walk is about 2 minutes (3 for me )

Yes, you can get food to go. And know that there is a 13% service charge at Picabu. I am okay with it, but just so you know ahead of time.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #154
Kidgoingon40
Mouseketeer

Dan Murphy, thank you for the info and that link is great
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #155
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidgoingon40 View Post

About how long is the walk from the swan to Epcot? For us, 10 min. at a brisk pace, 15-20 if we meander or stop along the way to see something.

About how long is the walk from the swan to the self parking? What Dan said! The Swan parking lot is right across from the main entrance.

We often like to bring our quick service food at the hotel to our room to eat. I read that picabu is cafeteria style - would we able to get our food in to go packaging so we could eat in our room? Absolutely. We've even had them pack it up to take out to the pool chairs.

Thanks again

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #156
Kidgoingon40
Mouseketeer

Thanks again, TaraPA I am glad to hear the parking is so close - definite plus

I am going to have to discuss all of this with dh tonight - when I talked to him about it last week he thought the rooms looked too plain lol
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #157
dancindeb1
Earning My Ears

We have reservations for a 2 and a half bay hospitality suite at the dolphin with a connecting room. Has anyone stayed in one of these? I'm just wondering how they compare to a regular suite. I haven't been able to find any pictures of one online. I'm also wondering about the comfort of the murphy bed. It was a good price for a lot of space, but I'm a little nervous about it.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #158
el_tigre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
About how long would you say the walk from the swan to the picabu quick service? Is it pretty good? The walk would be about 10 minutes.
Not to be too nit picky, but there's no way that walk would be 10 minutes. The exit from the Swan to the entrance to Picabu can't be any more than the distance of a football field. Even walking at a fairly slow pace, it won't be more than five minutes. The two resorts are very close to each other.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #159
MomtoGKC
DIS Veteran

Heading to the Dolphin for a quick one night visit tomorrow. It is kind of silly, but we are driving up form south Florida to go to Legoland for the day. We'll be leaving early, like 6:30ish, to get to Legoland when it opens. I don't really feel like making the 3 hour drive twice in a day with the kids (just me, DS, friend & her DS) so I convinced my friend to go to the Dolphin after Legoland!

We're going to hopefully get there just before dinner, we have ADRs at Il Mulino and then are going to enjoy a little Disney fun by walking around the boardwalk. In the morning we'll have breakfast and let the boys play for an hour or two at the resort before we head back home.

I was hoping to go into Epcot to see the fireworks because I have an AP, but my friend is form out of state and I couldn't ask her to pay over $150 for a 2 hour visit to Epcot. Although I am considering having her wait by the bridge while I run in and grab us some Grey Goose Slushies!!

Mom to DD 11 , DD 9 , DS 7

1975-2011 - Too many trips to remember - CR, Poly, GF, BWI, BCV, WL, AKL, ASMu, POR, CSR, Dolphin, Swan, Treehouses, cabins, tent camping, SOG when it was the golf resort

A few offsite - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Buena Vista Palace, Nick Hotel
Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #160
Poohbug
Sherlocked

Just booked out first stay at the Dolphin for June. We just needed two nights before we move to our condo and had to decide between the Dolphin or POR. I choose the Dolphin.

So excited but I know absolutely nothing about the Dolphin. I will have a car. Is valet parking worth the extra money? I'm worried that self parking will be far, far away and it will just be me and three kids checking in. Also, I am planning on getting to the hotel early and just hanging around the resort until check in on our arrival and leaving the car in the lot until 6 or 7 pm on our check out date. Is this going to be a problem?

Any great drinks to be had at the resort? I will be driving 24 hours to get there and when I do, I would love a nice drink by the beach while the kids play.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #161
el_tigre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post
So excited but I know absolutely nothing about the Dolphin. I will have a car. Is valet parking worth the extra money? I'm worried that self parking will be far, far away and it will just be me and three kids checking in. Also, I am planning on getting to the hotel early and just hanging around the resort until check in on our arrival and leaving the car in the lot until 6 or 7 pm on our check out date. Is this going to be a problem?
My standard answer to valet parking being worth it is almost always no, but your case, it probably is. The difference is only $5 per day and even if you get the best self-parking spot, you're looking forward to at least a 100 yard walk. Not usually a big deal, but in the relentless Florida sun, trying to drag three kids and luggage to the entrance - I'd pass - especially for only a difference of $10 (plus tips).

And you're only going to get charged for two-nights of parking, even if you get there at 10 am for check-in and depart at 8 pm on check-out.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #162
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Using self parking does not mean you have to drag your luggage from there to the entrance. Instead, pull up to the entrance and leave your bags with a bellman. Then drive to the self parking lot and walk back unencumbered.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #163
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoGKC View Post
e.

I was hoping to go into Epcot to see the fireworks because I have an AP, but my friend is form out of state and I couldn't ask her to pay over $150 for a 2 hour visit to Epcot. Although I am considering having her wait by the bridge while I run in and grab us some Grey Goose Slushies!!
That plan won't work since you can't exit the park with alcohol in hand. They make you dispose OR consume. I long for the good old days when you could enter or exit with your adult beverage. Unfortunately, that has not been permitted for many, many years.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #164
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_tigre View Post
My standard answer to valet parking being worth it is almost always no, but your case, it probably is. The difference is only $5 per day and even if you get the best self-parking spot, you're looking forward to at least a 100 yard walk. Not usually a big deal, but in the relentless Florida sun, trying to drag three kids and luggage to the entrance - I'd pass - especially for only a difference of $10 (plus tips).

And you're only going to get charged for two-nights of parking, even if you get there at 10 am for check-in and depart at 8 pm on check-out.
Upon arrival at the resort, you pull car up to the entrance. Bellman will assist you with luggage into the hotel (tip at you discretion). Just tell the valet folks at the front entrance if you are valeting or not. You can leave your car there at the entrance for a reasonable amount of time. I have left car there for an hour, not valeting. If kids are old enough, you could leave them at the entrance and then park. If not, take them with you to parking. It is a 1 or 2 minute walk back to entrance.

You can view here......

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nqt...13&form=LMLTCC

If you park overnight, check in in the morning, check out the next day, one night charge, not two, so $5 (plus tax) more if doing valet.

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #165
el_tigre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Upon arrival at the resort, you pull car up to the entrance. Bellman will assist you with luggage into the hotel (tip at you discretion). Just tell the valet folks at the front entrance if you are valeting or not. You can leave your car there at the entrance for a reasonable amount of time. I have left car there for an hour, not valeting. If kids are old enough, you could leave them at the entrance and then park. If not, take them with you to parking. It is a 1 or 2 minute walk back to entrance.

You can view here......

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nqt...13&form=LMLTCC
Actually, I agree that this plan makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
If you park overnight, check in in the morning, check out the next day, one night charge, not two, so $5 (plus tax) more if doing valet.
The OP said she will be staying two nights, so she will get charged for two nights regardless of what time she checks-in/out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: