Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #91
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

Ever feel like a fish out of water when you're planning??? We're a family of 5 DVC members who have stayed mostly at OKW (many times). Used up our points doing a Disney cruise on the new Dream so we were looking at other possibilities. We've done CBR a couple times and due to some really nice room-only rates later this summer we're taking our first plunge into POR. It's a beautiful looking resort and Andre's incredible FAQ page and website have been an amazing help.

We know we will have to stay in AB since we are 5 to the room. We are booked with Garden View, but I'm not sure what buildings that would be in. We like to be as close to the action as possible so any ideas on which building to request since we're not in the preferred buildings? We're also a little spoiled being able to do laundry in our roon at OKW, how are the laundry facilities at POR and are they readily available?

We'll be there in August which is a first time for us. I know it's pretty hot and humid, but if anyone has traveled that time of year and can tell me a little about crowds and such I'd really appreciate it. Looking forward to follwoing ths thread.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #92
Javin917
Mouseketeer

Closet size?

Hi! We will be at POR in October for our first trip with our 1.5 year old son...so excited! He doesn't do too well sleeping in a pack and play so we were planning on renting a full size crib for him (30" x 54"). Does anyone happen to know if this would fit along the closet wall by the sinks? We were hoping to be able to close the curtain at night to make it darker/quieter for him to sleep.
Thanks so much!
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #93
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin917 View Post
Hi! We will be at POR in October for our first trip with our 1.5 year old son...so excited! He doesn't do too well sleeping in a pack and play so we were planning on renting a full size crib for him (30" x 54"). Does anyone happen to know if this would fit along the closet wall by the sinks? We were hoping to be able to close the curtain at night to make it darker/quieter for him to sleep.
Thanks so much!
can't speak for POR but crib would fit in area but you would either have it "in closet" or blocking sinks plus it would be right across from bath room and if someone should need br they would have to go behind curtain to use it
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #94
hunmcbunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadossey View Post
Only 3 weeks and 9 days til we check in to PoR for our first WDW vacation!
It was ours too...you are soooo gonna love POR!

1st Trip - March 2012 POR Magnolia Terrace Riverview
2nd Trip - August 2015 or 2016
Kristie aka hunmcbunny 46 , Brian 44 aka Hubster , Michelle7 aka Princess
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #95
HiHoOffWeGo
Mouseketeer

Mickeygolf - I would request AB16 as it is almost like preferred, next to quiet pool where the laundry is located and equal distance from south and west bus. Parking lot is on the standard side if you drive. This location is closer to main building then Mansions. Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #96
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoOffWeGo View Post
Mickeygolf - I would request AB16 as it is almost like preferred, next to quiet pool where the laundry is located and equal distance from south and west bus. Parking lot is on the standard side if you drive. This location is closer to main building then Mansions. Enjoy!
Thanks so much. Do you know if they have the Garden View classification? Any idea if these have been refurbed yet, not that I would care since it's close to main buildings?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #97
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokOnHarts View Post
Thanks Andre! Do you know what the general schedule is for refurbishments of the pool/slide areas?
It varies, I don't think there is a specific year-on-year timetable for work to be done. I think most years there are a few days of downtime for each of the pools for minor work though, but there is only ever one closed at a time. Dates are often only announced a month or so in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeygolf View Post
We know we will have to stay in AB since we are 5 to the room. We are booked with Garden View, but I'm not sure what buildings that would be in. ... how are the laundry facilities at POR and are they readily available?

We'll be there in August which is a first time for us. I know it's pretty hot and humid, but if anyone has traveled that time of year and can tell me a little about crowds and such I'd really appreciate it.
Have a look at the map in the first post, Garden View rooms are in any of the smaller individually-numbered buildings except for 14, 15, 18 and 27 (which are preferred locations). 16 and 17 are good to request if you want to still be fairly close to the main buildings, and they are also very close to a quiet pool - which is where you find the laundry facilities. It's great to throw all the washing into a machine and go and have a swim while it cleans.

Crowd levels really depend on exactly when in August you are going. First two weeks will be very, very busy; the third week gets a bit quieter and fourth week (once all the US schools have started again) is quieter still. After Labor Day it gets dramatically quieter, but that's September.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 04-05-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #98
marshallandcartersmo
DIS Veteran

Does anyone ever request a building close to the bus stop?? I'm thinking buildings 25 or 24 in AB would be good....close to a quiet pool and close to a bus stop.

Far from the main pool and refilling drinks though.

Or am I confusing a lake for a quiet pool on the map????
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #99
Javin917
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
can't speak for POR but crib would fit in area but you would either have it "in closet" or blocking sinks plus it would be right across from bath room and if someone should need br they would have to go behind curtain to use it
Thanks for the response! We were hoping to line the crib up against the "closet" wall so that it wouldn't be blocking the sinks, but this is where I wasn't sure if it would fit. We definitely want him behind the curtain one way or another so we'll just have to make do with sneaking in after his bedtime.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #100
KayMouse
Mouseketeer

We are booked at POR in a Royal Room for September 29-October 5th! So excited to catch free dining AND a stay in these gorgeous rooms! It will be my daughter's first trip and she will be celebrating her 5th birthday while there! I am BEYOND excited! Thanks Andre for all of the information!

Me(23) DD (4)

Nov 1994 -*First Trip* Offsite
September 2012- First trip for Bailyn! Staying Offsite.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #101
steph6177
Earning My Ears

Working on Booking RR at POR for Dec 2012!

So excited to have found this thread. I am pretty sure that we just decided today that a RR at POR is what we are going to book for Dec 2012. We stayed at POFQ a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed - but now I realize it was because I missed the Disney Theme. The RR gives me the benefits of a moderate resort with a major Disney Theme!

Andre - do you have your own website and a FB page? Can you post the link to those? Thanks!

Steph (Cleveland, Ohio)
Mom of three sons - ages 6, 4 and 8 weeks old

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #102
DisneyClown
DIS Veteran

I thought I saw this SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it now. Can anyone tell me if the new Murphy Beds might be able to accommodate a 9 year old girl of average height?

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one person, you just may be the world."

Disneyland-'93 and '95~~~~~Wilderness Lodge-May '07 Honeymoon~~~~~Pop Century June-July '10~~~~~~Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2012
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #103
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph6177 View Post
So excited to have found this thread. I am pretty sure that we just decided today that a RR at POR is what we are going to book for Dec 2012. We stayed at POFQ a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed - but now I realize it was because I missed the Disney Theme. The RR gives me the benefits of a moderate resort with a major Disney Theme!

Andre - do you have your own website and a FB page? Can you post the link to those? Thanks!

Steph (Cleveland, Ohio)
Mom of three sons - ages 6, 4 and 8 weeks old

We're booked for Dec in RR's aswell - can't wait!

Andre has an awesome site: http://www.portorleans.org its been my resort handbook
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #104
KarlaG4Kids
I LOVE to travel
Two votes from our house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I just opened up my DME documents that arrived yesterday and they are correct. That makes me so glad.

My trip is so much closer now. All I have left to do is finish up my ADR's (yes, I'm behind as usual. LOL) and everything will be set.

I also have to look at the map and see where the laundry room is. I figure I'll probably do a load of laundry this trip while I hang out at the pool one afternoon.
Looks like we will be there at the same time! We will be in RGR's and I am SO EXCITED. Our Mickey Mail also came! Oh my...getting closer! See you around Ole Man Island or the beautiful resort we are staying at!
05/12/14 35th Anniversary trip12/2/13 Christmas fun5/18/13 Fantasy Cruise w/whole family! 5/1/12 Our WDW trip with Abby & Cameron & DREAM cruise w/entire family!05/07/11 Grosdidier WDW & Dream 01/06/10 Marathon trip w C&C 09/12/09 01/28/09 DL 1st trip 09/20/08 01/11/08 08/26/07 12/11/06 09/25/06 01/11/06 02/2005 09/2004 12/2002 05/2002 01/2001 03/1999 01/1997 03/17/1995 - FT Wilderness, The trip that began it all! Each time I arrive at WDW I know that I am HOME! A vacation is one of the best investments in your family!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #105
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Well I heard about the free dining and decided to see what it would cost the family to go to WDW. The computer sent us to this hotel. Originally I had planned on the Values but only way we can fit(family of 5) is in a suite.

Not going to make it this year, looking at Sept 2013. Just doing my research and this place looks like a lot of fun especially with kids.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: