Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #751
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfggirl5454 View Post
Hey! So if I book a water view room, do I have any chance of it being a view of the river? And do you think if I request Magnolia, I'll get that or am I much more likely to wind up with Alligator Bayou?
Water views are normally of swimming pools, but they'll sometimes upgrade people to river view if capacity allows. If you request Magnolia Bend, there's a pretty good chance you should get what you want - although Water View is a fairly small category, so that might limit their options a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
We are staying in a royal room next month. I was wondering if turndown service is ever available in the evenings. We just feel so spoiled by that.. Thanks!
Nope, you need to pay Deluxe money for that. I never really get the point of it myself as I seem perfectly able to get into my own bed as a rule - well, apart from the free chocolate on the pillow anyway.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #752
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

For anyone who wants to know, Alligator Bayou buildings 17 and 24 are now complete and should be re-opened, and buildings 15 and 28 are now undergoing refurbishment. See http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php for updates.

Oh, and I've just done a big update to the info on my site about room booking categories, location preferences, making requests, etc. to reflect all the various changes that have happened of late. The amount of questions on the subject warranted a page of its own rather than just a few entries in the FAQ section. I've not linked to it from the menu yet, but if anyone here would care to take a look and let me know what you think, and if I've missed anything obvious, it's at: http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php. Thanks!

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 05-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #753
scrdofbugs
Mouseketeer

Building help

These question is for Andre or anyone else who can help me. My family and I love the feeling of the swampy room views in Alligator Bayou so we reserved a preferred location for our Oct Trip. We are so excited about this resort.

Looking through the pics from the great website: http://www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-AB.php

What buiding in in Image 24??

Is building in 24 near this bridge in image 25?

In image 47, the building in the back in the trees??

What building is in image 79??

Thanks in advance for helping me!!!
Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
Oct 2012 - Universal-Royal Pacific Resort/Disney-Port Orleans Riverside
May 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort
May 2010 - Contemporary/Port Orleans-French Qrt
Sept 2009 - Polynesian
Nov 2008 - Contemporary/Animal Kingdom Lodge
Sept 2007 - Polynesian
April 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #754
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetpeas View Post
It depends on which section you would like to be in. The Mansion section is more southern plantation and the Alligator Bayou is more rustic and woodsy. If you are in the mansion section, I think Magnolia would be a good building to request. There are only 2 mansion buildings now that are not Royal Rooms. Magnolia is right next to the bridge to the pool and then on to the main buildings. Acadian is right next door and not that much further.

In AB, I like building 16. The four buildings closest to the main buildings are in the preferred category and you would need to pay for that. Building 16 is directly behind the preferred buildings and I thought it was a great location. Close to the buses and the main buildings

If you have booked standard, you will most likely get a parking lot view. If this is not to your liking you might want to upgrade to a garden view which is the next least expensive category and I think gives you more options maybe.

Happy planning!
Thanks... alot of good info.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #755
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The amount of questions on the subject warranted a page of its own rather than just a few entries in the FAQ section. I've not linked to it from the menu yet, but if anyone here would care to take a look and let me know what you think, and if I've missed anything obvious, it's at: http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php. Thanks!

Andre
Awesome Andre... thanks.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #756
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrdofbugs View Post
What buiding in in Image 24??
Is building in 24 near this bridge in image 25?
They were taken six years ago, but from memory... looks like building #14, probably taken from the bridge which you mentioned seeing in image 25 (which is located between buildings #14 and #15, on the pathway from the parking lot to the quiet pool).

Quote:
In image 47, the building in the back in the trees??
What building is in image 79??
I think image 47 was taken from building #14 too, so I think the one in the background would be building #18.

The building in image 79 is one of the high thirties - somewhere around #36 to #38.

.... but WHY?!

Andre

Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #757
scottishgirl87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For anyone who wants to know, Alligator Bayou buildings 17 and 24 are now complete and should be re-opened, and buildings 15 and 28 are now undergoing refurbishment. See http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php for updates.

Oh, and I've just done a big update to the info on my site about room booking categories, location preferences, making requests, etc. to reflect all the various changes that have happened of late. The amount of questions on the subject warranted a page of its own rather than just a few entries in the FAQ section. I've not linked to it from the menu yet, but if anyone here would care to take a look and let me know what you think, and if I've missed anything obvious, it's at: http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php. Thanks!

Andre
Thanks for that, Andre. I was about to ask a question relating to this kind of thing but your new page has answered all my questions!

We're hoping to stay at POR next September/October and will be requesting Magnolia Bend nearer the time. As a party of 2 adults fingers crossed we get it as I really prefer the look of the mansions to Alligator Bayou
[/center]
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #758
Midnight Tboy
Earning My Ears

me again - no laundry questions this time

Just looking at doing the online checkin thing now....and was thinking about whether to request or take pot luck........so did a little digging and found sites like this

gotfreefax.com

can send up to 3 faxs per day, with no adverts added....handy for people like me that have no access to a fax machine anyway

Now to just decide what area I want to be in!!

I originally hated the decor in the AB rooms, but the refurbed rooms do look very nice, probably nicer than the Magnolia ones IMO.

hope its ok to link sites like that ^

edit: had to remove the www from link as I'm not a high poster on here
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #759
scrdofbugs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
They were taken six years ago, but from memory... looks like building #14, probably taken from the bridge which you mentioned seeing in image 25 (which is located between buildings #14 and #15, on the pathway from the parking lot to the quiet pool).

I think image 47 was taken from building #14 too, so I think the one in the background would be building #18.

The building in image 79 is one of the high thirties - somewhere around #36 to #38.

.... but WHY?!

Andre
Thank you so much!! We were thinking of requesting a certain building out of the preferred ones. Sorry for all the bombard of questions. We really like the one by the swampy pond and bridge so if I understand correctly, it should be 14 right?
Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
Oct 2012 - Universal-Royal Pacific Resort/Disney-Port Orleans Riverside
May 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort
May 2010 - Contemporary/Port Orleans-French Qrt
Sept 2009 - Polynesian
Nov 2008 - Contemporary/Animal Kingdom Lodge
Sept 2007 - Polynesian
April 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort

Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #760
Stan Solo
I don't know what to put here. Tag fairies can you help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Andre, is there anything you DON'T have pictures of, LOL?
I believe that a few rabbits, a squirrel or two and a bunch of birds were born since Andre's last visit, but he will get photos of them in August.

While your at it Andre you should try and get that shy lizzard you missed on your last visit.

Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here...now...thank you. How are you? *wince*
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #761
3sweetpeas
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Andre
Hi Andre, I just read your new request and categories page and it is really great! You really spent time on this and it will be sooo helpful for future guests. I only disagreed with you on one small point. We stayed in building 38 in March and thought it was a very short walk compared to other more outlying buildings but no biggie. It may just be that I like to walk. I was so impressed with how thorough it was and easy to understand. Wonderful!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #762
3sweetpeas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Solo View Post
I believe that a few rabbits, a squirrel or two and a bunch of birds were born since Andre's last visit, but he will get photos of them in August.

While your at it Andre you should try and get that shy lizzard you missed on your last visit.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #763
TrueDisneyLove61207
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Andre
Thank you
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #764
Skimassey
Earning My Ears

Wifi

Is the wifi pretty reliable in all buildings across the resort? I will need computer access for work every night of our trip, and if that means I need to pay for a preferred room, then I need to take care of that soon. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #765
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post
Now to just decide what area I want to be in!!

I originally hated the decor in the AB rooms, but the refurbed rooms do look very nice, probably nicer than the Magnolia ones IMO.
Don't rule out AB, a lot of people seem to think it looks a bit 'basic' compared to the plushness of Magnolia Bend, but that's intentional theming, and the rooms are just as nice with all the same amenities. Walking through the Bayou area is wonderful. Check out that new page I just put on my site by the way, it might help you out: http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetpeas View Post
We stayed in building 38 in March and thought it was a very short walk compared to other more outlying buildings but no biggie.
Good point. I mentioned that in the River View discussion, but I didn't reiterate it when talking generally about the thirties buildings, I'll add a note.

Any other comments from anyone else, as I'd like that page to be the definitive 'go to' place for Port Orleans room location questions?

Quote:
We really like the one by the swampy pond and bridge so if I understand correctly, it should be 14 right?
Yes, but details like that are to be found all around Alligator Bayou, and that photo is just one example. Remember that building 14 is a Preferred Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimassey View Post
Is the wifi pretty reliable in all buildings across the resort?
It can be a little patchy I believe, but each building has its own access points so you won't get a particularly better signal in a Preferred Location than you do elsewhere. It's more luck of the drawer as to where your nearest access point is located, and how many other people are using it.

The public areas (main building, restaurants, main pool, etc) have stronger and faster connections should you need to transfer a lot of data at some point.

Andre

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: