Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #1156
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsmike View Post
It used to be El Pirata Y El Perico, but taco salad at Tortuga Tavern is not the same thing. The only topping I put on tacos is cheese and I loved being able to put as much as I wanted from the toppings bar. I guess second choice would be Pinocchio for atmosphere, pizza, and gelato. DH second choice would be Columbia Harbour House.
Tortuga is on our list this time. I really want to try the nachos from the QS in Mexico. Every time I see them on a dining report I want to lick my computer screen.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1157
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

i really like the QS in Mexico too. I got quesadillas and tortilla chips
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #1158
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleinbe
How about a little Saturday discussion?

What is your "can't miss" counter service restaurant for your April trip?

I have so many favorites and of course the BOG QS is on my list, but I have to get to Yourshire County Fish Shop for some fish and chips while hanging out in England listening to some fun music.
I always loved Sunshine Seasons as a kid, we ate there everytime we went to Epcot. But DH refuses to eat CS at all so not sure I'll ever get to go again

I also wouldn't mind trying the CS at BoG, but we're already doing dinner there.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1159
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
But DH refuses to eat CS at all so not sure I'll ever get to go again
No CS??? Wow! We're actually looking forward to this trip and only having one ADR. I think it will be nice to not schedule our day around ressies.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #1160
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleinbe View Post
No CS??? Wow! We're actually looking forward to this trip and only having one ADR. I think it will be nice to not schedule our day around ressies.
Yeah, when we went (for the first time as a family) in 2008, DH talked me into doing the DxDP, but I thought (like most people do) that 3 ADRs a day was too much, so I only booked 2 most days, and even a couple of days with only 1. Just about every time we ate CS, it was pretty much a disaster. We spent so much time standing in line, waiting for food, hunting for a table, etc, that it really wasn't any faster than TS, and we left feeling frazzled and stressed instead of rested and refreshed. DH said after that trip that he never wanted to eat CS again.

I sort of "cheated" a little on our 2010 trip, since the food court at CBR made a really convenient early-breakfast option. And really I thought it was fine - the food was decent and it was quick. But it still made him grumpy, so I promised that on this trip there would be nothing, not even single one, that was even remotely close to being CS

We actually eat out a LOT at home (way more than we should) but we never eat fast food. It's literally been years and years since I set foot in a McDonald's or Burger King type place. And as far as DH is concerned, CS is no different than fast food. If I don't make him eat it at home, why in the world would we eat it on vacation?

There are a few CS places that I really wouldn't mind eating at, but I have to say, I really have never minded being tied down to an ADR. It becomes part of the trip that we really look forward to, and having something with a set time helps me structure our day so we don't fall into a lull and wander aimlessly

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #1161
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

I think my one not to be missed CS place is Sunshine Seasons. There's so much variety, and everything I've tried is delicious!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #1162
TikiTink
Earning My Ears

Favorite CS

Quote:
How about a little Saturday discussion?

What is your "can't miss" counter service restaurant for your April trip?

I have so many favorites and of course the BOG QS is on my list, but I have to get to Yourshire County Fish Shop for some fish and chips while hanging out in England listening to some fun music.
My absolute hands down favorite CS meal is in Morocco at the Tangierine Café. The vegetarian dish as well as the chicken shawarma are very, very good. I am not a vegetarian but everything on the plate is good: couscous salad, hummus, falafel, lentil salad and tabouleh with a naan type of bread. We always ask for extra tatziki for dipping.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #1163
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
I always loved Sunshine Seasons as a kid, we ate there everytime we went to Epcot. But DH refuses to eat CS at all so not sure I'll ever get to go again

I also wouldn't mind trying the CS at BoG, but we're already doing dinner there.
We're going a group of 9 and with so many of us and 5 kids we are only doing a couple of ADRs (The kids love Teppan Edo) with the group. It's just easier and much more cost efficient. Also, 3 of the kids are just not big eaters, and planning stoppages in park time for meals is too much hassle.

The adults (DW and I and DSIL and hubby) are going to make a few dinner ADRs and take turns hanging by the pool with the kids so the other couple can have a night out.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #1164
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
I think my one not to be missed CS place is Sunshine Seasons. There's so much variety, and everything I've tried is delicious!
I secong this one!

We usually get there first thing at rope drop. Get a fast pass right away and ride soaring. Then we have breakfast at SS and ride soarin again!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1165
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I'd say Sunshine Seasons is the best CS. One time we had dinner there and we all had salmon. It was delicious!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #1166
Lampoon2012
Earning My Ears

I haven't been to Disney in so long, I have no idea what our must dos and must not misses are...or will be!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #1167
Tammyepolytinkfan
Mouseketeer

Hello may I join in? I am "Alice Royal" mom on this board.
I am a Disney fanatic. I have been to Disney so many times since I was a child I have lost count! Love everything Disney and our family myself, DH,
DS 12 and DD "Alice Royal" 17 are going to AoA from April 20th through April 26th.
I can't wait to see the new Art of Animation resort we will be staying in the cars section. We are from NH and waiting for flights to open up to book on SW and make our ADR's.
Looking forward to eating/trying new restaurants at all theme parks.

My favorite CS would be sunshine seasons too because of all the different food choices. But I am also looking forward to trying several different types of cupcakes I have see on some food boards. Look so good!
I also can't wait to see the new FantasyLand in Magic Kingdom.
I am a thrill ride junkie and love all of them at Disney. But I also love the classic rides too.
I think I love Disney so much because I always feel like a kid again when I visit the world.
Disney College of Knowledge Graduate 2005

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1168
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Agreed! We never make tons of ADRs...the most we've ever done is two on one trip. It's so nice not to have to worry about running around trying to make a dinner reservation.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1169
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTink View Post
My absolute hands down favorite CS meal is in Morocco at the Tangierine Café. The vegetarian dish as well as the chicken shawarma are very, very good. I am not a vegetarian but everything on the plate is good: couscous salad, hummus, falafel, lentil salad and tabouleh with a naan type of bread. We always ask for extra tatziki for dipping.
The Chicken Shwarma platter is definitely on my "to do" list this trip.

I'm thinking we're going to be glad we're not having to schedule around ADRs this trip. We always took advantage of the lax return time on fastpasses. Now that they are enforcing the return window I think that's going to be my biggest headache.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1170
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Booked my return flight!!

so after all the hemming & hawing I've been doing about airfare and desperately awaiting SW to release their flights tomorrow........ I ended up just booking our return flight on AT. This is the flight I was most concerned about because it's the Sunday after school vacation and historically fares are always super high. And we really didn't want to have to deal with flying into NH or a flight with a layover (You know when you're on your way home from vac. you just want to get the hell home, kwim?) but that's what I resigned myself to having to do b/c I figured we'd never get a decent price on a nonstop into Boston on that day. Well, after reading a thread on the Transp. board where someone posted their AT flight had just gone down, I frantically logged in and the *one* non-stop flight AT has had gone down to just over $200/pp. so I grabbed it! I had a $340 credit to use as well so came to just over $500. I can live with that and feel a huge weight off my shoulders. Of course tomorrow SW will probably come out with something for like $100/pp. and put a damper on my enthusiasm, lol.
Now I just have to work on a flight down but that's not as concerning because I have more options - I don't mind driving to NH for that one and we are more flexible in the times we can go. On the way home we couldn't do any early a.m. flights because we'll be getting off the cruise. And hopefully I'll be able to take a big chunk out of the $$ for the flight down with my SW points.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: