Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #3421
Dr Ken
Don't want to "earn" my ears. I'm retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post

I fear doing this greatly. We haven't flown in a LONG time, and I have no good idea how much I can stuff in our suitcases without going over. We'll be gone for 8 nights/9 days; DH and I each have a suitcase and the boys will share one.

Any advice, anyone?
You should definitely weigh each bag. The extra fees are outrageous!

I have a special gadget for weighing luggage. If you don't, weigh yourself while holding one suitcase. Now weigh yourself without the suitcase. Compute the difference.

We're flying Southwest which still allows 2 free checked bags at no more than 50 pounds each. That's 200 pounds of checked baggage for the two of us! ME will lug our bags for us. So, there's not much incentive for us to pack light. (grin). I'm afraid of what the result will be!

Check the rules for your airline. Check the disBoards travel forum if you still have questions.

Have enjoyed visiting 8 Disney theme parks (4 in FL, 2 in CA, 1 in Tokyo, and 1 in Paris)

Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #3422
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Only two more work days! After all this recent March snow, this year I am just as excited to see the sun as I am to see Mickey! Glad the Florida temps. will be higher next week than they are this week.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #3423
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haPevraftr View Post
Only two more work days! After all this recent March snow, this year I am just as excited to see the sun as I am to see Mickey! Glad the Florida temps. will be higher next week than they are this week.
Lucky you I'm just looking forward to the 3-week mark on Thursday!!

I'm a little worried about these cool temps too, I promised DH that it would already be "HOT" by April, and he doesn't consider 70s hot!!! I'm never gonna hear the end of it if there is a cold front while we are there... Hopefully it warms up soon!!

1984-2001: Off-site & day-trips | 6/08:Poly | TR | Photos
12/08:Hilton GVC | TR | Photos | 6/10:CBR | TR | Photos
3/12:ASMo |TR| Photos | 4/13:YC | PTR | TR | Photos
Upcoming: 3/14: AKV & AoA | 12/14: VWL
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #3424
tlh4hart
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013

I fear doing this greatly. We haven't flown in a LONG time, and I have no good idea how much I can stuff in our suitcases without going over. We'll be gone for 8 nights/9 days; DH and I each have a suitcase and the boys will share one.

Any advice, anyone?
I was over by 5lbs once and thought is was shoes. but the desk clerk said to take the three pairs of jeans i had out, i did so and put them in my carry on and it went down 10lbs. who would have thought jeans weigh that much lol.

on a side note I had A scare today, i received an email from my travel agent this morning saying my mickeymail was there, and at 17 days i was getting worried, she needed to verify my address. i sent addy. about 2 hrs later I got an email from someone else at the agency stating my agent no longer works there, but no worries huh, I have been working with her since april 2012, but no worries. good thing I got all my confirmation #s

Sent from my Xoom using DISBoards
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #3425
tlh4hart
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie
Can I boo hoo here a little? I'm the one that started the thread when we had to cancel our 2012 trip because of our dog. Well, we thought for sure by now she would be dead. She isn't. Dh has reached the place of talking about putting her to sleep (she is blind, deaf, incontinent sometimes, has canine dementia, etc.) but she is his baby and I know he doesn't want to let her go.

Well, today our dd, who lives next door, put their dog down due to kidney failure. The vet came to the house in his mobile vet van and we went over to say goodbye to the dog and to hug our daughter. Afterward, dh really broke down in tears and has had some intense crying all afternoon. He always watched the dog from his living room and went over to pet her when he took our dog outside. Actually, I think he probably loved on her more than dd's family did. Anyway, he is such a mess now. I really can't see us putting our dog down. I told him the other day that we had to make the decision soon because I have to cancel by April 7 (room only).

(Don't get me wrong -- I liked the dog too and I've had some tears. I kept a ball here to play ball with her and I did that this morning for a bit. But this has not affected me nearly the way it has dh. He is just so heartbroken.)

Ok, end of my looking-for-a-listening-ear party. Back to your happy planning talk!

it is hard to lose a pet and even harder to put one down. i have lost 2 dogs and one cat in the last 2 years. I had to put my 12 year old great perenyes down as he had a heart failure and was having trouble breathing. My 21 year old pom and 22 year old cat passed peacefully. i had them half my life and it was hard, they bring joy even now just thinking about them.

Sent from my Xoom using DISBoards
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #3426
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Can I boo hoo here a little? I'm the one that started the thread when we had to cancel our 2012 trip because of our dog. Well, we thought for sure by now she would be dead. She isn't. Dh has reached the place of talking about putting her to sleep (she is blind, deaf, incontinent sometimes, has canine dementia, etc.) but she is his baby and I know he doesn't want to let her go.

Well, today our dd, who lives next door, put their dog down due to kidney failure. The vet came to the house in his mobile vet van and we went over to say goodbye to the dog and to hug our daughter. Afterward, dh really broke down in tears and has had some intense crying all afternoon. He always watched the dog from his living room and went over to pet her when he took our dog outside. Actually, I think he probably loved on her more than dd's family did. Anyway, he is such a mess now. I really can't see us putting our dog down. I told him the other day that we had to make the decision soon because I have to cancel by April 7 (room only).

(Don't get me wrong -- I liked the dog too and I've had some tears. I kept a ball here to play ball with her and I did that this morning for a bit. But this has not affected me nearly the way it has dh. He is just so heartbroken.)

Ok, end of my looking-for-a-listening-ear party. Back to your happy planning talk!
My kids got me a puppy 1 1/2 years ago. It is definately a love/hate relationship. I love the little guy to pieces, but I feel so darn guilty when I want to do what I want. I end up staying home after work to take him for a walk, instead of going to the YMCA. He just got a "hotspot" on his neck and the vet had to shave it off and he is now on antibiotics and not feeling the greatest. He just wants to sit on my lap and cuddle. I know if anything would happen to him, I would be bawling my head off like your husband, yet relieved, because he takes so much of my time up.

It is hard, hope things work out for the best.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #3427
USS Disney
Military Mouse

...sad puppy talk... but... 19 MORE DAYS!!! Sorry, I had to post my excitement! I feel like nemo "First trip to world! First trip to world!"

1997 DLR - 1ST VISIT! ~ 2004 DLR ~
~2007 DLR~ 2009 DLR - PROPOSED!~ 2010 DLR
~2011 DLR~ 2012 DLR - CARS LAND GRAND OPENING!
PENDING 2013 DISNEYWORLD!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #3428
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

1 MONTH TIL OUR TRIP!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #3429
jad215
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to see ticker!!!! For all of you who are leaving soon or before us (most of you!) have a fabulous and safe trip!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #3430
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post

What a bummer. DH was so upset when his Mom put his dog down a few years ago. He still talks about how much he misses him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBeth94 View Post
I'm from the UK and this will be my first trip to Disney, and the US. I really do not know what to tip house keeping. I want to tip daily for the reasons you have all mentioned but over here in the UK we don't tip. Every so often we'll say "keep the change" and some cafes do have tipping jars but their isn't much expectation from people. So I was just wondering what does everyone else tip house keeping, quick service restaurants, stores? Thanks.
Touring Plans has a FAQ about tipping at Disney
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/03...world-tipping/

I don't usually tip housekeeping services at hotels, because I usually don't ask for anything that's not already expected. Half the time I forget to take the "Do Not Disturb" sign down when I leave in the morning and hang my towels on the rack so they're not replaced every day. I may try to tip this time around, but we have an online bank, so it's not exactly easy to get my hands on singles. We don't use cash much at all.
Tipping at CS is not expected.
There will be a "suggested tip" on your receipt at TS places (at least that's how it used to be). You can either go with that, or up or down based on service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post

Any advice, anyone?
I do the thing with a regular scale. I have been over in the past, and it really sucks to have to rearrange stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
Lucky you I'm just looking forward to the 3-week mark on Thursday!!

I'm a little worried about these cool temps too, I promised DH that it would already be "HOT" by April, and he doesn't consider 70s hot!!! I'm never gonna hear the end of it if there is a cold front while we are there... Hopefully it warms up soon!!
See... I'd rather it stay in the 70s the whole time. We'll see who gets their wish! I do want it to be a little warmer than it is now, but I don't want it to get much into the 80s.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #3431
tristanb
Earning My Ears

I haven't commented on this board yet! We leave for aoa lam room April 7 I am almost in single digit days and am so excited! This is our first disney trip... Going to celebrate my daughters 3rd birthday (a few days before so that she is still 2 and free!) also my bday was yesterday so it's really my bday present too!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #3432
chrisc88
Mouseketeer

10 days Finally finished ADRs last night you'd think there would not be a big deal for only 3 nights

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #3433
twinmom2002
Earning My Ears

Got our tickets

Woo-Hoo!! Just doing a little happy dance - we got our tickets in the mail yesterday. I am really looking forward to some Disney Time with my husband.

July 2009 - offsite - Reunion Resort
August 2010 - Contemporary
November 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
April 2013 - offsite - Peabody Orlando
September 2015 - Undecided
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #3434
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

what's all this "cool weather" talk? I haven't checked the weather yet b/c I don't want to start obsessing over it (yet). When i hit 10 days I will start to obsess. No matter the temps, I'll just be happy with no rain (or keep the rain to overnight, lol). Actually, I shouldn't say that - I won't be happy if it gets too much over 80 degrees...........or too much under 70. So technically, I'll be happy with 70-80.
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #3435
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

I caved and checked the weather, lol.
10-day forecast looks GREAT! starting with 72 tommorow then going up to 87 for Tuesday (yuck), then starts to go back down to the lows 80s over the next several days.
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: