Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #3406
dwtwinsmommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceteachermom View Post
We leave in 6 days......can't wait. Our family needs a vacation this year more than ever. Staying at the Wilderness Lodge in the villas. We are going to spend more time relaxing at the resort than in the parks but we will hit a few park openings to do some of our favorites. This is the first time our family is staying in a deluxe resort.....I am hoping we love it and don't miss the Coronado.
The Wilderness Lodge Villas are awesome - this will be our 3rd time staying there in a 1bdrm villa - we will be there the 13th! Can't wait! Started packing, taxes are done, Easter gifts just about done! Just have to get through quarter end at work & my DD school play. Then mani pedis & off we go!!!
- DS-9

'08-VWL; '10-VWL; '11-Poly; '12-BCV; '13-VWL

Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #3407
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Can I boo hoo here a little? I'm the one that started the thread when we had to cancel our 2012 trip because of our dog. Well, we thought for sure by now she would be dead. She isn't. Dh has reached the place of talking about putting her to sleep (she is blind, deaf, incontinent sometimes, has canine dementia, etc.) but she is his baby and I know he doesn't want to let her go.

Well, today our dd, who lives next door, put their dog down due to kidney failure. The vet came to the house in his mobile vet van and we went over to say goodbye to the dog and to hug our daughter. Afterward, dh really broke down in tears and has had some intense crying all afternoon. He always watched the dog from his living room and went over to pet her when he took our dog outside. Actually, I think he probably loved on her more than dd's family did. Anyway, he is such a mess now. I really can't see us putting our dog down. I told him the other day that we had to make the decision soon because I have to cancel by April 7 (room only).

(Don't get me wrong -- I liked the dog too and I've had some tears. I kept a ball here to play ball with her and I did that this morning for a bit. But this has not affected me nearly the way it has dh. He is just so heartbroken.)

Ok, end of my looking-for-a-listening-ear party. Back to your happy planning talk!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #3408
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Hey thats what where here for huggzz to you and your family
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #3409
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Can I boo hoo here a little? I'm the one that started the thread when we had to cancel our 2012 trip because of our dog. Well, we thought for sure by now she would be dead. She isn't. Dh has reached the place of talking about putting her to sleep (she is blind, deaf, incontinent sometimes, has canine dementia, etc.) but she is his baby and I know he doesn't want to let her go.

Well, today our dd, who lives next door, put their dog down due to kidney failure. The vet came to the house in his mobile vet van and we went over to say goodbye to the dog and to hug our daughter. Afterward, dh really broke down in tears and has had some intense crying all afternoon. He always watched the dog from his living room and went over to pet her when he took our dog outside. Actually, I think he probably loved on her more than dd's family did. Anyway, he is such a mess now. I really can't see us putting our dog down. I told him the other day that we had to make the decision soon because I have to cancel by April 7 (room only).

(Don't get me wrong -- I liked the dog too and I've had some tears. I kept a ball here to play ball with her and I did that this morning for a bit. But this has not affected me nearly the way it has dh. He is just so heartbroken.)

Ok, end of my looking-for-a-listening-ear party. Back to your happy planning talk!
So sorry. It must be so hard and you are in a really tough spot, I'm sure. Feeling sad about the dog but anxious about the trip and not wanting to be disrespectful of your husband's feelings. Hugs go out to you and yours.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #3410
dwtwinsmommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Yes, I'll be filling them once we make our pre-Disney bank run for cash!! Soooon!
Is it expected to leave mousekeepers something everyday? I've always only done it on the last day
- DS-9

'08-VWL; '10-VWL; '11-Poly; '12-BCV; '13-VWL

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #3411
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtwinsmommy View Post
Is it expected to leave mousekeepers something everyday? I've always only done it on the last day
Yes, leave something daily as you might have different mousekeepers each day.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #3412
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtwinsmommy View Post
Exactly as pwdebbie mentioned, you may not have the same person every day, so we leave it daily.

Sometimes you do though, we had the greatest Mousekeeper for our entire 11 days at WL and she was great.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #3413
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Can I boo hoo here a little? I'm the one that started the thread when we had to cancel our 2012 trip because of our dog.
I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. We didn't travel for probably 2 years because of elderly dogs. We had to make the decision to put both of them down (littermates, one from tumors at 12 and one at 14 because she could no longer walk). It is exceptionally hard when one person knows it is time and the other just can't do it yet.
Hugs to you and belly rubs to your pup.

Me DH
DD10 DS8
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3414
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

pwdebbie I'm so sorry about DDs dog.

I do remember when you needed to cancel last yr.

We had to put our dog down in 2007 it was the hardest thing we've ever done.

Hope your DH feels better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #3415
DisneyBeth94
Disney Fanatic

I'm from the UK and this will be my first trip to Disney, and the US. I really do not know what to tip house keeping. I want to tip daily for the reasons you have all mentioned but over here in the UK we don't tip. Every so often we'll say "keep the change" and some cafes do have tipping jars but their isn't much expectation from people. So I was just wondering what does everyone else tip house keeping, quick service restaurants, stores? Thanks.

Previous trips:
DLP - February 2012 - 7N//8D DLP - July 2012 - 6N//7D WDW - April 2013 - 7N//8D (AoA) WDW - April 2013 - 7N//8D (Pop) DLP - July/August 2013 - 4N//5D
Upcoming:
DLP Christmas - December 2013/January 2014 - 3N//4D (DLH) - 5N//6D (SL)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #3416
kpmdjm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBeth94
I'm from the UK and this will be my first trip to Disney, and the US. I really do not know what to tip house keeping. I want to tip daily for the reasons you have all mentioned but over here in the UK we don't tip. Every so often we'll say "keep the change" and some cafes do have tipping jars but their isn't much expectation from people. So I was just wondering what does everyone else tip house keeping, quick service restaurants, stores? Thanks.
I think $5 a day for housekeeping is good. You don't have to tip at counter service meals or at stores.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #3417
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBeth94
table service meals- about 20%

if you are a large party though ( i think maybe 6 or more they include the tip) which makes it a little easier.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #3418
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I found an awesome pet sitter to come in every morning while we're gone to give my kitty his meds, freshen food/water and to report back to me everyday so I know he's okay. Also, my sisters and friends will be checking on him every every evening. They have authority to bring him to the vet if they feel he needs help. Between your daughter next door and a pet sitter, would you be able keep your April vacation?

Monica
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #3419
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
I suffer from a severe case of Overpacking. Even last time, when I specifically made a conscious effort to NOT overpack......both suitcases ended up over 50 lbs. D'oh! Picture me on the floor at the counter frantically taking stuff out of the suitcases and trying to shove them into our carryons. THEN, that made one of our carry-ons too big to fit into the carryon size thingy, so we ended up having to check that. Still, paying another $20 for the extra checked luggage was better than paying the $100 or whatever they charge you for having an oversized suitcase. This time, I'm prepared. Last time the kid's brought their small suitcases as their carryons (small children's rolling case) with all their plane junk in it. This time, I'm having them put their plane stuff in backpacks and then I will use their rolling carryons to put some of our luggage stuff in. So we'll have 2 suitcases to check and then each of us will have a small case/bag to carryon filled with some of our clothes, etc. And then we'll each have a backpack/small bag as our "personal bag" for stuff we need for the airport/plane. Oy. just DD's custom outfits alone take up just about a whole suitcase so.........
I fear doing this greatly. We haven't flown in a LONG time, and I have no good idea how much I can stuff in our suitcases without going over. We'll be gone for 8 nights/9 days; DH and I each have a suitcase and the boys will share one.

Any advice, anyone?

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #3420
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post
I fear doing this greatly. We haven't flown in a LONG time, and I have no good idea how much I can stuff in our suitcases without going over. We'll be gone for 8 nights/9 days; DH and I each have a suitcase and the boys will share one.

Any advice, anyone?
Do you have a scale at home so you c an weigh them?
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: