Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #2011
USAND3KIDS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Do your kids like animals??? I mean, I think that WOW factor is there, that they can step outside and see all of the animals....and you'd have the pool slide (if your kids like that)....As much as I want to stay at AoA, I would switch to AKL in a heartbeat! Just sayin...
I agree with that. It's absolutely beautiful and they do have nice pools over there too.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #2012
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Do your kids like animals??? I mean, I think that WOW factor is there, that they can step outside and see all of the animals....and you'd have the pool slide (if your kids like that)....As much as I want to stay at AoA, I would switch to AKL in a heartbeat! Just sayin...
they like animals fine....but they're not like crazy animal fans or anything. We go to a lot of good zoos too so it's not like we don't ever get to see those types of animals. I agree it would have more of the WOW factor if we were in a savanna room, but those aren't discounted. Also, factor in that Animal Kingdom is their least favorite park........ and we also like to have separate sleeping areas since YDD gets up at the crack of dawn and we'd be giving that up at AKL.
I have plenty of time to obsess over it though, lol.
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #2013
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
they like animals fine....but they're not like crazy animal fans or anything. We go to a lot of good zoos too so it's not like we don't ever get to see those types of animals. I agree it would have more of the WOW factor if we were in a savanna room, but those aren't discounted. Also, factor in that Animal Kingdom is their least favorite park........ and we also like to have separate sleeping areas since YDD gets up at the crack of dawn and we'd be giving that up at AKL.
I have plenty of time to obsess over it though, lol.
I know how you feel about not wanting to switch from AoA. I had the same issue. I was so excited to stay at AoA, but then I found out that Deluxe Club level at the Boardwalk was only going to be like 1700 more for us. I couldn't pass it up. We will probably never get to stay at a Deluxe again, until the kids are older at least. I also asked the kids which place they preferred to go, surprisingly they all loved the look of the clown pool and picked the resort because of that. I know we will be going back to the values (which we all love) on our next trip. So we will do AoA then. Even my oldest DD loves the value look, so I'm not worried about them being to old to enjoy the wow factor of it.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #2014
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Argh! Called, got through in minutes, lady was checking "one more way" for me and we got disconnected. Now I am hoping my original reservation is still intact because she was making changes on it, then when the numbers came out higher she switched them back, but we weren't completely finished when I was greeted with the message about the survey and then poof, gone. I called back and got the "please try your call again later" message. I can hear dh now, "You should have just left well enough alone."
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2015
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Finally got through after being on hold for quite some time! Saved a surprising amount, over $600, which is great. I had to switch from a preferred room to a garden view room at POR though, but I'm not one to complain about little details. I'm just excited to go.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2016
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Argh! Called, got through in minutes, lady was checking "one more way" for me and we got disconnected. Now I am hoping my original reservation is still intact because she was making changes on it, then when the numbers came out higher she switched them back, but we weren't completely finished when I was greeted with the message about the survey and then poof, gone. I called back and got the "please try your call again later" message. I can hear dh now, "You should have just left well enough alone."
I had something like that happen to me, but I'm pretty sure the CM hung up on me. So I was so afraid that she had made the changes and called back to make sure she hadn't. Then made the changes that I had wanted to make. But that wasn't today, so I didn't have an issue getting back through. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #2017
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperann View Post
I know how you feel about not wanting to switch from AoA. I had the same issue. I was so excited to stay at AoA, but then I found out that Deluxe Club level at the Boardwalk was only going to be like 1700 more for us. I couldn't pass it up. We will probably never get to stay at a Deluxe again, until the kids are older at least. I also asked the kids which place they preferred to go, surprisingly they all loved the look of the clown pool and picked the resort because of that. I know we will be going back to the values (which we all love) on our next trip. So we will do AoA then. Even my oldest DD loves the value look, so I'm not worried about them being to old to enjoy the wow factor of it.
GAH! I don't know what to do! Split stay? But it would only be 3 nts. each, IDK if I want to deal with moving after 3 nts......

this may call for a poll on the Resorts board......
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2018
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
GAH! I don't know what to do! Split stay? But it would only be 3 nts. each, IDK if I want to deal with moving after 3 nts......

this may call for a poll on the Resorts board......
I think if the AOA will give your kids the WOW factor you should keep it. My kids are older (16 and 13) and the wow factor, especically for DS13, is hard to come by these days. It will be well worth the money. Take these moments, savor them, take lots of pictures. Excited kids will make your trip more magical
March 2004 Disneyland Hotel, March 2006 Port Orlean's Riverside, February 2008 POP Century, May/June 2009 Port Orlean's French Quarter, August 2010 Wilderness Lodge, February 2011 POP/Coronado Springs, December 2011 Port Orlean's Riverside, April 2013 Port Orlean's Riverside, June 2014 Port Orlean's Riverside
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #2019
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

Resort Changer, here!! More for the magic than the discount, but it helps.

cherylsmike -- April 14 - 21; POR

We love POR!
March 2004 Disneyland Hotel, March 2006 Port Orlean's Riverside, February 2008 POP Century, May/June 2009 Port Orlean's French Quarter, August 2010 Wilderness Lodge, February 2011 POP/Coronado Springs, December 2011 Port Orlean's Riverside, April 2013 Port Orlean's Riverside, June 2014 Port Orlean's Riverside
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #2020
trtl6941
Mouseketeer

Quote:
according to my phone app, I'm at 98 days so you know what that means......................................
time for the double-digit dance!
: cool1:
97 for me!!

Quote:
it's so hard..... I can switch us to AKL right now (from AoA) and save us an additional $350 (on top of the $400+ I already saved from the new discount)........... so a DELUXE for LESS money!!! BUT......I think the kids will be underwhelmed by AKL. They won't hate it or complain or anything, I just think they'll be like "eh, whatever" (it would be a standard room, not savanna-view), and I don't want them to be all "eh", I want them to be like "OMG!". I just keep telling myself they're only young once and the time is limited for them to have the "WOW factor" and I think they'll def. get the WOW Factor at AoA.
I think this will be our last stay at a Value. I love the Values for young kids because I like the over-the-top, in-your-face aspect of them. As they get older though, I think they'll appreciate the Mods & Deluxes more with the better pools, and easier access to parks and stuff.
I had the SAME struggle! We could stay at the beach club or AK for about the same (even cheaper in some cases) and I was freaking out because I have always wanted to stay deluxe! But...my kids are 2, 5, and 6 and I know AoA would totally make their day! I have many years ahead where they will think Deluxe is cool too. That was hard to pass up though!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2021
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

That's the conclusion I've come to.....enjoy the magic while I can. AKL isn't goin anywhere!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using DISBoards
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #2022
trtl6941
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's the conclusion I've come to.....enjoy the magic while I can. AKL isn't goin anywhere!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using DISBoards

yeah, and you don't want to deal with moving them, especially if they are in LOVE with it!! I am cranky enough from switching to a mermaid room our last night from a suite!

My kids would "like" a deluxe, but it wouldn't wow them yet, not like AoA. They are at the perfect "in your face" disney ages. The Nemo pool alone might make them forget about the parks, LOL

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #2023
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

i' ve pulled myself together now. i was near panic mode trying to decide if I should switch.........but i know AoA is better for us. mainly for the suite factor.....we dont ever go away and stay in a regular hotel room; we usually rent a condo and this isnt the trip we want to experiment with staying in the same room. although we' ll find out soon after when we leave AoA and get on the cruise! :D . Although i think the cabin has a curtain between the 2 sleeping areas......should be interesting anyways
Me , DH , DS(10) , DD(6)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #2024
bigjrfan88
Mouseketeer

So I've got a dilemna too!

I want to add dining package, but the only way I could afford it is if I drop the trip ins. (and some other things).

Would you all drop the trip ins?

Pros and Cons????
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #2025
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjrfan88 View Post
So I've got a dilemna too!

I want to add dining package, but the only way I could afford it is if I drop the trip ins. (and some other things).

Would you all drop the trip ins?

Pros and Cons????
It's not winter weather or hurricane season. The reasons we wouldn't be able to go would not be covered under insurance (job related). I would cancel it. But if you think you would be stressed out without it keep it. There isn't always the best "value" with the dining plan, but I loved food paid before we arrived (I had tips in printed envelopes already). Don't forget you have until 3 days out to add dining plan if you want, but insurance would need to be cancelled outside 45 days?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: