Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #1936
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,108

Talking about non-stop flights

A few years ago I won plane tickets from Orbitz in a Disney contest, which I gladly accepted. Then I tried to book my trip from here to there, even using several different departure airports. The tickets were not valid on non-stop flights. That should have been enough right there to make me call Orbitz and give them back the prize, but I kept checking to see what I could get. The least number of stops those tickets would get me was THREE! Can you believe it? What could have been a two-hour flight was turning into a nightmare. One route they gave me involved FIVE stops and almost 24 hours from the time I departed the first airport until I landed in Orlando. I totally lost respect for Orbitz with that "prize." Needless to say, we never used the tickets (and they weren't donatable to charities, like some tickets are). I ended up having to claim them as income on our taxes even though they were never used because Orbitz filed a 1099. (I found out a year later that I could have asked Orbitz to rescind the 1099, so I chalked this up to an expenseive lesson learned in the world of sweepstaking.)

Once again, with all you folks talking about the issues with flying, I am glad we are driving (even though I will most likely be a nervous wreck when we get there).
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #1937
Stefjp
Mouseketeer
 
Stefjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 188

16 weeks until our trip!
Stefjp is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #1938
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
A few years ago I won plane tickets from Orbitz in a Disney contest, which I gladly accepted. Then I tried to book my trip from here to there, even using several different departure airports. The tickets were not valid on non-stop flights. That should have been enough right there to make me call Orbitz and give them back the prize, but I kept checking to see what I could get. The least number of stops those tickets would get me was THREE! Can you believe it? What could have been a two-hour flight was turning into a nightmare. One route they gave me involved FIVE stops and almost 24 hours from the time I departed the first airport until I landed in Orlando. I totally lost respect for Orbitz with that "prize." Needless to say, we never used the tickets (and they weren't donatable to charities, like some tickets are). I ended up having to claim them as income on our taxes even though they were never used because Orbitz filed a 1099. (I found out a year later that I could have asked Orbitz to rescind the 1099, so I chalked this up to an expenseive lesson learned in the world of sweepstaking.)

Once again, with all you folks talking about the issues with flying, I am glad we are driving (even though I will most likely be a nervous wreck when we get there).
omg, what a horrible prize! did you win a disney stay too or just the airfare?
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #1939
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

so now that the excitement of xmas is over, i am 100% focused on Disney and i realize that it may not be possible for me to keep this a secret ' til easter as planned. its only been a week but its been pure torture! i' ve been talking about WDW a lot "hypothetically" and since its my job its normal for me to talk about it, but they just arent all that interested in hearing about it as they would be if they knew they were going. i dont want to tell them this early because i feel like this is just way too long for them to have to wait so i guess i' ll just see how long i can hold out.
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #1940
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran
 
momtwoboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,121

thinking about upgrading to POR from AOA LM room, killing me to wait till Jan 3rd to find out the difference....can anyone that has booked at POR with the Disney Visa tell me how much they got off??
__________________
: me (43)
DH (44)
DS (16)
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #1941
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
thinking about upgrading to POR from AOA LM room, killing me to wait till Jan 3rd to find out the difference....can anyone that has booked at POR with the Disney Visa tell me how much they got off??
i just got a quote for por for our week and the cm said its about a 20% discount
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #1942
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

CSR came out about $100 cheaper than POR. this was for 5 nts. with 5 day base
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #1943
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran
 
momtwoboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,121

right now our package at AOA in a LM room is 4,088.12, plus a 1 nt room only. Of course no discounts at all for that type of room. I am wondering how much to switch to POR. Rack rate is 4,618.94 I believe....once the discount kicks in would it be worth it?

I am glad that I don't have to keep this a secret from my kids...half the fun it the nonstop chatter now that christmas is over! Good luck keeping the secret!!
__________________
: me (43)
DH (44)
DS (16)
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #1944
BradleyB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 50

We booked nonstop tickets too! We leave at 945 pm from Seattle and arrive at MCO at 630 am with the time difference. It was almost $1300 for 3 people even with the cheaper companion fair.

The spring promotion looks good, but no discounts for us since we rented points to stay at BCV.
BradleyB is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #1945
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
right now our package at AOA in a LM room is 4,088.12, plus a 1 nt room only. Of course no discounts at all for that type of room. I am wondering how much to switch to POR. Rack rate is 4,618.94 I believe....once the discount kicks in would it be worth it? the secret!!
if you want, lookup rack rate for POr for 4/15-4/20 with 5 day base and reg. DP for 2A, 2C and see what the discount works out to be. total with disc. is $2590
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #1946
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran
 
TJDisneymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
right now our package at AOA in a LM room is 4,088.12, plus a 1 nt room only. Of course no discounts at all for that type of room. I am wondering how much to switch to POR. Rack rate is et!!
thats with dining plan, right?
__________________
**please forgive typos, typing from Kindle
Me , DH , DS(11) , DD(7)
*1986: CR/Poly *1987-1999: numerous offsite stays *2001: DLR offsite (honeymoon!) *2/2011: 1st family trip ~ ASMU Family Suite
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #1947
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran
 
momtwoboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,121

thanks! I hope that is right?! its about a 400 difference...so I could technically maybe upgrade for about 200.00 more.....I think! seeing as I am already paid in full, it wouldn't hurt as bad~
__________________
: me (43)
DH (44)
DS (16)
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1948
katiereeve
Earning My Ears
 
katiereeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 36

Hi all!... another New England teacher family here! We're actually both teachers, and are from RI. The Disney promo saved us quite a bit...we are 4/12-4/19 at POR, Garden View, with 7 Day PH, and Dining, for 2 adults and 2 children (11 and 7) for 3850.00...(guess that makes it 3 adults and 1 child by WDW pricing standards.) It was originally about 4450 for the same. We also saved quite a bit on airfare by deciding to fly out of Newark... we have a 3 hourish drive, but get a non-stop flight, and save $500 from anything we could find out of New England.
I'll let you know later if we are crazy, or if was worth it! :D
katiereeve is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #1949
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran
 
momtwoboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,121

yes with the dining plan! right now I have this:
April 12-19th 2 adults, 2 kids (12, 14)
5 day hopper/water park more tickets
Dining plan
7 nights at AOA LM room, and also
19th-20th 1 night room only at AOA LM room

thinking I want to make that a 6 day ticket and move us to POR riverside for the 7 nights package, and add a 1 night room only at the end still.

I am paid in full so the only confusion to any CM is just figuring out the difference and moving our hotel choice
__________________
: me (43)
DH (44)
DS (16)
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #1950
trtl6941
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
so now that the excitement of xmas is over, i am 100% focused on Disney and i realize that it may not be possible for me to keep this a secret ' til easter as planned. its only been a week but its been pure torture! i' ve been talking about WDW a lot "hypothetically" and since its my job its normal for me to talk about it, but they just arent all that interested in hearing about it as they would be if they knew they were going. i dont want to tell them this early because i feel like this is just way too long for them to have to wait so i guess i' ll just see how long i can hold out.
I am having the same problem!! My kids are young so it's not *that* bad but everybody knows we are going and I am so afraid somebody will slip up! Well actually, the kids know we are going as well (my 4 yo got to pick the room theme for her birthday) but they just don't know "when", and their concept of time is pretty bad anyway, lol. We plan to either tell them the morning we leave or just drive to the airport and see if they get it
__________________
ME DH
DD (5/9/06) DD (2/19/08) DD (1/3/11)


trtl6941 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.