Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #1576
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

The original 1970s (I think) "Winnie the Pooh" is my 4-year-old's current favorite! It's hysterical watching it with him because it was my favorite back in the day.

In addition to others mentioned, Aladdin, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty ... the first Tinker Bell movie, maybe?

Fantasia held his interest surprisingly well. Fantasia 2000 might be a better fit. (Not as slow and not as frightening in places.) Or you can at least watch "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" portion for the origin of the iconic blue hat.

Believe it or not, I have never seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (Any of them!) DH and I are going to watch, at the very least, the first one. Is it something kids can watch with some judicious editing?

"Star Wars." If you're going to HS, anyway. And maybe more by April ...

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1577
LynneIL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
LOl, I think there's a lot wrong with a lot of the movies if we think about it hard enough, lol.
For me - I can’t stand the message of Beauty and the Beast. That’s the only current one that really bothers me. Nobody should fall in love with the person who kidnapped her. That’s just sick and wrong in my opinion.

I just bought Peter Pan on DVD. That one has the “What makes a red man red?” song in it. Disney definitely doesn’t have a history of being politically correct.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #1578
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneIL

For me - I can’t stand the message of Beauty and the Beast. That’s the only current one that really bothers me. Nobody should fall in love with the person who kidnapped her. That’s just sick and wrong in my opinion.

I just bought Peter Pan on DVD. That one has the “What makes a red man red?” song in it. Disney definitely doesn’t have a history of being politically correct.
For BatB, Disney actually improved the story tenfold. Have you ever seen the 1946 French film? Belle is essentially sold off to the Beast by her father who doesn't want to be enslaved and she is held against her will, whereas in the Disney version, Belle isn't kidnapped but rather volunteers to take her fathers place, which actually gives her some autonomy. Not to say it doesn't have it's problems, but Disney made an effort to make the story more appropriate at least.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #1579
Alice Royal
Nineteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

I just hate Beauty and the Beast because we did it at our school two years ago. I spent over $1000 on voice lessons for the auditions and I was clearly the best vocalist in the class (I was told this by my music teacher and voice coach, although unfortunately neither were involved with the production)...I aced my audition and thought I had a chance.

I was cast as the Wardrobe and my only song, Human Again, was cut because 'nobody was good enough to sing it'. The two Belles hadn't sung a note in their lives and I honestly cringed every time I heard them.

So...yeah, no BATB for me. I'll deal with BOG because their Turkey Sandwich sounds good.

Me (19)
AP Holder and Proud Florida Resident since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (14)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #1580
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I need to get the kids to re-watch BATB too since we'll be eating at BOG. I've never actually seen it myself so I should watch it as well. I don't know how I'm going to get them to rewatch all these movies without telling them we're going. They'll probably go for Toy Story and Nemo and stuff like that but convincing them to watch Bambi & Dumbo might be a little tough, lol. I'll have to bribe them with popcorn or other junk food.
Ooooh, that's something I can work on this week. I'm going to type up a list of every Disney movie I want us to watch and assign them dates. I want to work it out so we we're watching every week from January 'til our trip. That's probably about 15 weekends so I'll have to come up with the most important 15 movies. Hmmmm......

so QOTD: what are the MUST-SEE Disney movies?? We're staying at AoA so I think I have to make the first 4:

1. Cars
2. Nemo
3. Little Mermaid
4. Lion King
When my girls were really little, some of their favorites were Jungle Book, Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp. In fact, we still love all three!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #1581
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

we've never watched POTC either. Are they even good for young kids? (5 & 9)?? I assume they're PG-13. I'd like to add it to our list but I'm not sure if it's appropriate
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1582
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

and what about Song of the South? It's ODS' favorite ride so I thought it might be cool to watch the movie. I know there's some controversy about it tho.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #1583
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
we've never watched POTC either. Are they even good for young kids? (5 & 9)?? I assume they're PG-13. I'd like to add it to our list but I'm not sure if it's appropriate
Depends on the kids. Our girls were not even remotely interested in the POTC movies, even though they love the ride. DH was disappointed b/c he loves POTC, but they love all of the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies so that made it easier for him. (both of those movies are well represented at DHS as well)

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #1584
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Ok, I'm up to 7 now.

1. Cars
2. Nemo
3. Little Mermaid
4. Lion King
5. Beauty & the Beast
6. Peter Pan
7. Dumbo

Still thinking on the others. I wish they put out a G-rated version of Pirates, lol. I don't think I can let YDD watch that.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #1585
chinchiller
Mouseketeer

Howdy!

My husband and I are planning on going back to the World in late April, but we won't make the reservations until we switch to 2013. We are also planning on staying in a Deluxe, either on the monorail line or one that can take a boat/walk to Epcot (probably the latter). This was news to me. I thought we'd be in a Value again, but I guess since we're planning on it being our last adults-only trip, my husband wanted to make it special!

I'm so excited!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1586
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzygirl View Post
Awesome! Thank you. Now if I could only get my hands on that number! lol
I know your pain! We went on a trip to Orlando with DH's family and they wanted everything to be a surprise so they didn't tell us anything! It was torture, lol. I finally just tried to let myself not care, since we would be coming back in a few months and I could do things my way then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post
I see others are doing the Disney movie nights thing! We're using it as a way to introduce the boys to all the classics and it's been a HUGE hit. DS2, who's 4, watched "Fantasia" with me the other night and loved it, although I had some explaining to do about the dinosaurs and we cut it off before "Night on Bald Mountain." (I watched that in elementary school and it still gives me the creeps!)

I'm still tracking down all the classics. Any suggestions for off-the-beaten path things that might still have that WDW connection?
Before our honeymoon, DH and I had a blog where we watched Disney movies for the year and a half and wrote reviews of them. For each movie I also did a "WDW connection" section, talking about where that film appears in the parks. We got through a really good chunk of the animated classics and Pixar films. Here's the blog, in case you're interested:

http://beckydisneyquest.blogspot.com/
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #1587
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
and what about Song of the South? It's ODS' favorite ride so I thought it might be cool to watch the movie. I know there's some controversy about it tho.
I've seen it, and didn't find it terribly offensive. There are a few things that are politically incorrect, but no more so than what you'd expect from any movie of the time period. That being said, i didn't think it was that great of a movie anyway! If you can get your hands on just the shorts with Brer Rabbit and all, that might be fun to watch. It's pretty difficult to get a copy of Song of the South anyway (legally, at least).
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #1588
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
I know your pain! We went on a trip to Before our honeymoon, DH and I had a blog where we watched Disney movies for the year and a half and wrote reviews of them. For each movie I also did a "WDW connection" section, talking about where that film appears in the parks. We got through a really good chunk of the animated classics and Pixar films. Here's the blog, in case you're interested:

Awesome! Thanks.

I thought about doing a blog about our Disney prep, just for my own pleasure, but decided to keep a SMASH book instead. That way if I don't update, I'm the only one who knows it.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #1589
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchiller View Post
Howdy!

My husband and I are planning on going back to the World in late April, but we won't make the reservations until we switch to 2013. We are also planning on staying in a Deluxe, either on the monorail line or one that can take a boat/walk to Epcot (probably the latter). This was news to me. I thought we'd be in a Value again, but I guess since we're planning on it being our last adults-only trip, my husband wanted to make it special!

I'm so excited!
Why are you waiting to make your reservations? There really is no advantage to that, as far as I know. If you read this thread, you'll see there are certain people who make their reservations and then change them and change them and change them . . .
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #1590
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
I know your pain! We went on a trip to Orlando with DH's family and they wanted everything to be a surprise so they didn't tell us anything! It was torture, lol. I finally just tried to let myself not care, since we would be coming back in a few months and I could do things my way then.

Before our honeymoon, DH and I had a blog where we watched Disney movies for the year and a half and wrote reviews of them. For each movie I also did a "WDW connection" section, talking about where that film appears in the parks. We got through a really good chunk of the animated classics and Pixar films. Here's the blog, in case you're interested:

oh, fun! i will definitely check it out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: