Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Roller coasters and eyeglasses ?

My dd13 wear glasses. She will be going on a fieldtrip to an amusement park . Whats the best way to deal with her glasses if she goes on a ride that goes upside down? She can't see without her glasses. What are your expeierince or tips? She is going with her school and will be an hour away from home

should she take a purse and put her glasses on?
will those glass holders help keep glasses on if ride goes upside down?
she's a lil nervous . I'd hate for her to lose or break her glasses. Thanks for any tips and advice
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
indimom
Are We There Yet?

DH and I wear glasses. We've never attempted to keep them on on a "big" roller coaster or one which inverts. We usually take them off as we board the ride, fold them, and hold them by the arms in our fist. We're so nervous about losing our grip we hold them VERY tightly. We've never bad a problem. If she's worried that she will forget or let go of them during the ride, I'd have her wear a cross body purse and tuck them inside.
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

What park?

Some are extremely strict about purses or hand held things. For example, Cedar Point and Six Flags Great Adventure will not permit you to board one Roller Coaster (Kingda Ka) with anything.. no bags, no purses no holding anything. Kingda Ka and the drag racing Roller Coaster were at one time the tallest and fastest roller coasters int he world. Kingda Ka is still ranked fairly high. Mellinium Force at Cedar Point is also very fast.

My son, my DH and I all wear glasses. I dont bring mine in the park and just squint. Son needs to wear glasses and he refuses to wear contacts anymore. He either brings an outside pocket with a closure zipper (no velcro you will lose it) Cargo shorts have these. or he wears a glasses strap.

Some amusement parks make you wear the straps before you go on. Years ago, Cedar Point required all riders to have these straps before you rode the drag racing Coaster or Melinuem Force. You had to bring your own or you could buy them in line . These glasses straps are sold everywhere: Target, Dollar Store, etc. Some have a tight closure on the back and some are just fitted straps. You don't get the old lady glasses chains.. those are NOT it. If you get them, you should check how she wants to wear her hair that day so it may not show as much. She may not be able to wear a hat either on rides. Some rides do not let you sit on them either.

Don't count on being able to wear purses or a bag. Many parks require those to be checked at the front gate and do not permit riders to use them at all in the park.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
mamamary
DIS Veteran

My DD started wearing glasses since our last trip. We were just talking yest. about how we def. need to bring an extra pair when we go away. I know that on the coasters I'll prob. hold her glasses for her. She eventually wants contacts but I don't think she's getting them before our June trip.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamary View Post
My DD started wearing glasses since our last trip. We were just talking yest. about how we def. need to bring an extra pair when we go away. I know that on the coasters I'll prob. hold her glasses for her. She eventually wants contacts but I don't think she's getting them before our June trip.
The Disney coasters are tame. Son has wore them no problem on Disney coasters without a care in the world. Universal IOA does not let you take them on Hulk (IIRC- its been a few years) .

I'm thinking more about the 125 mph, 124 mph, 95 mph ones which require nothing on board (hats purses, etc) because that can really maim someone if it comes loose on that speed.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy B View Post
The Disney coasters are tame. Son has wore them no problem on Disney coasters without a care in the world. Universal IOA does not let you take them on Hulk (IIRC- its been a few years) .

I'm thinking more about the 125 mph, 124 mph, 95 mph ones which require nothing on board (hats purses, etc) because that can really maim someone if it comes loose on that speed.
That's good to know about the Disney coasters! Thanks.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy B View Post

I have had glasses for over a half century and can't see without them. I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Croakies-BLACK.../dp/B0019LAPSQ, cut in half and then sew Velcro on the ends. Once fastened they go nowhere. Have used them on Hulk, Dueling Dragons, etc. without issues. Wearing my glasses even in darkened SM makes the ride more enjoyable.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

There's only one real threat when it comes to glasses on a coaster: looking to the side. If you keep facing forward and avoid banging your head against any shoulder restraint, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm 48 and have worn glasses since I was 12 and haven't taken them off on coasters since college. That includes WDW as well as Six Flags.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Would a fanny pack work? Not sure if it would be too "uncool" though

She could put the glasses in the case and put it in the fanny pack.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

when I was younger, I had a small fanny pack. It was was different than the normal ones, it was like a purse with a belt. I could but my wallet, glasses and a few other items, I wore it on every roller coast, with no problems. it was perfect...but I didnt care if it was cool or not...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
TinkTock
Mouseketeer

I wear the straps either with the little rubber-band-like loops that you tighten on your earpieces or the ones that slide over the end of the earpieces. I think the real key is getting a strap that's adjustable in the back. You pull it tight against the back of your head before riding, and then you can loosen it to be more comfortable while walking around.

Here's an example of a rather expensive one that slides over the end of the earpieces and is adjustable in the back: http://www.amazon.com/Chums-Original...3460097&sr=8-3
TinkTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Terry36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I have had glasses for over a half century and can't see without them. I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Croakies-BLACK.../dp/B0019LAPSQ, cut in half and then sew Velcro on the ends. Once fastened they go nowhere. Have used them on Hulk, Dueling Dragons, etc. without issues. Wearing my glasses even in darkened SM makes the ride more enjoyable.
I also recommend these. My DD wears these for gymnastics without any issues.
Terry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

My husband uses the croakies for his glasses and has never had a problem with them slipping on roller coasters, etc.
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
2binak
DVC Owner

I also use a Croakies-type strap to keep my eye glasses on when riding coasters, especially Rock 'n Roller Coaster

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 SSR
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Cindy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
Would a fanny pack work? Not sure if it would be too "uncool" though

She could put the glasses in the case and put it in the fanny pack.
Like I said before, depending on the park, NOTHING is allowed in the ride line. They will even have employees in the line checking. Just youself. Phones are put in bras or a friend holds them in their zippered pockets or a non rider uses them all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: