Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Allyse
Earning My Ears

Disney Cruise - Alaska 2013

I am in the process of booking a Disney Cruise to Alaska for June 10 2013. Has anyone ever used their Disney Vacation Club Points to book part of the cruise and pay for part? If so, do you feel this is worth it?

Can anyone suggest a place to stay in Vancouver before getting on the Cruise Ship?

Also, it appears we may have to be on deck 2 based on our DVC points in the midship if we want a room with a port hole. Otherwise Deck 5 or 7 for inside deluxe. Any suggestions which type of room is better. I don't recalling staying in a room with two small port holes ever.

Thanks.
Allyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Hi and to the DISboards.
Have I got some threads for you!

There is an Official Cruise on Points vs Cash thread in the DVC section. That might help.

There is an Official Vancouver FAQ's thread in the DCL section! There will also eventually be a Cruise Meet thread up for DISsers on your cruise but there isn't one yet. I got a lot of help from my fellow cruisers on my first cruise. I was on the southbound Repo from Vancouver last September, and we stayed at the airport Marriott because it was the only one available on Marriott points, but if you can getting closer to the pier is much nicer.

Personally I would rent my points and pay cash for the cruise, but that's just me. Easier to cancel, no transaction fee, never get stuck with reservation points, and you can get an on board credit from a TA! We got an inside for our last cruise but will have a OV Family for our next one, I like being mid-ship deck-wise so whichever deck you're going to its an easy walk up or down the stairs since I'm not a cruise ship elevator fan, but there are a lot of different opinions on that one too.

If you hang out in DVC Mouscellaneous and the DCL Forums you'll find lots of different opinions on what you're looking for and can evaluate what will best work for you and your situation.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I am moving this to the Disney Cruise Line section.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Deck 2 Wonder oceanview cabins will have the large porthole not 2 small ones. The cabins on deck 1 have the 2 small portholes. I've stayed in both and don't mind either of them. We've even stayed on deck 1 in an inside deluxe cabin and liked that.

Definately read thru the threads that are posted in the 2nd post, especially the Vancouver information thread. You will find lots of info on hotels in the Vancouver area.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyse View Post
I am in the process of booking a Disney Cruise to Alaska for June 10 2013. Has anyone ever used their Disney Vacation Club Points to book part of the cruise and pay for part? If so, do you feel this is worth it?

Can anyone suggest a place to stay in Vancouver before getting on the Cruise Ship?

Also, it appears we may have to be on deck 2 based on our DVC points in the midship if we want a room with a port hole. Otherwise Deck 5 or 7 for inside deluxe. Any suggestions which type of room is better. I don't recalling staying in a room with two small port holes ever.

Thanks.
You can use points for one person and cash for others. The price may not be the same if you booked through DCL. And you must pay in full (and the $95 fee) at time of booking. We used points this year for our cruise and are renting out points for our next cruise. Once I rented out points and saw how easy it is I am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

Last May we used points for DW and I and DD and paid cash for DS. It was our 1st cruise and we had points to use up. We have a deluxe inside stateroom on Deck 7. Even though we live in the PNW and are use to the sun setting around 10:30 - 11 in the summer we did not want to be awaken early by the sun. We loved it. On Tracy Arm Day we stayed on deck the whole time. If we go again I would book an Ocean View or Veranda because there is always some thing outside to see.

Kevin
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014-Bahamas
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern, 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
Magic EBTA
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
pillow
DIS Veteran

I feel that it is WAY too expensive to use points for cruises. You're better off renting the points and using the cash to pay for your cruise! Good luck!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Lovebug Eeyore
Mouseketeer

We always use our DVC points to cruise and love it. As our kids are in college now, DCL offers a great vacation for us to get away together. It's about personal perference for each family and DCL has given us some of our best vacation memories. We are going to Alaska this year. Hope you have a great time in Alaska in 2013.
1998 Disney Magic Bahamas; 2000 Walt Disney World; 2001 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean; 2001 Walt Disney World; 2003 Disney Magic Western Caribbean; 2005 Walt Disney World; 2006 DVC Exchange Alaska Cruise; 2007 Disney Paris; 2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas; 2009 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean; 2012 Disney Wonder Pacific Coast Cruise;2012 Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise; 2013 Disney Aulani; 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, 2014 Disney Magic Southern Caribbean, 2015 Wonder Bahamas, 2015 Disney Magic Norway
Lovebug Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
snarfieca
Mouseketeer

We had lots of points that had to be used so we used them to book a cruise. We're going on the Alaska cruise in Aug 2012.

We're on deck 2 with a port hole. We've only been on deck 2 and have not had problems with the location.

Brenda
from MB
snarfieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Allyse
Earning My Ears

Thank you

Thanks to all my cruising friends for the information. I need to read up on renting points.
Allyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Pan Pacific the night before our Alaska cruise. It is very pricey and I wasn't planning on staying there even tho' it was my first choice (the port is in the basement). They seem to run special prices with some regularity. I saw someone here on DIS tell about a special and was able to get rooms for the whole party for what I expected to be paying anyway. Keep track of the Vancouver thread and have a look at the Pan Pacific web-site.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

If there is ANY way to swing it I highly ... highly ... highly recommend a verandah (even if you go with a Navigators Verandah on GTY) for an Alaska itinerary. Seriously important. Almost no other cruise really justifies the expense, but for Alaska, especially during Tracy Arm day and during the Inside Passage ... worth every extra dollar.

You will have a great time without one, but an even better time with one.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: