Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #91
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Bumping this thread up....
We just did a college tour over spring break with 5 college visits for DS. He's a junior though, so watching this thread with valuable info. in it for our upcoming year!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #92
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Hi all! So glad I found this thread! Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Congratulations to all that have received their acceptances and know where they are going. Hugs to those still trying to figure it out.

Sorry, I hope you don't mind, I don't like to brag at home but I hope you don't mind my doing here:
My dd applied ED to Muhlenberg and got her acceptance, along with the Tuition Exchange Scholarship and half dorms for a total of $36,500 per year She's worked VERY hard and we are very proud of her, although the full COA is more about $51K but a loan and us helping her out will be what works for her/us.

We knew before Thanksgiving of her acceptance and her financials so we haven't had to have the stress that some of you have had along with the poor stress some of her friends are having.

Good luck to us all!!!
We just visted Muhlenberg and it's my dd's first choice. She wants to Dual Major in Dance and either Psych or English. She REALLY wants to go there, but I'm afraid if she does ED the financial package won't be as good bc they obviously know she will go there if accepted. Did you speak to admissions before applying to see what the package could be? She flat out can't go there if there is no aid..we can't afford it otherwise. BTW, what does your dd want to study?
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #93
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
I understand that in your circumstance having your daughter assume some of the debt is reasonable. But, that is entirely different from what you stated earlier and what I was responding to, which was:

"My dh and I consider it our responsibility to help our dd with her college costs. Not 100% but some. I firmly believe that every college graduate should finish school with some debt!"

My point was, if parents can comfortably foot the entire bill, why did you feel that a student should still go into debt? That is what I thought you were indicating, and what I was questioning. So, if I pay my daughter's expenses she should still get a loan? I don't understand why anyone would advocate that. Going into debt if you don't have to seems wrong to me.
I in no way expect my dd to pay for her entire college cost. That wasn't my point. We have told her what we are willing to pay, at this moment in time. There will have to be loans taken out...either by her, or by us. And they will be deferred payments. That way, even though accruing interest from day 1, we can still pay them off before the actual repayment dates start. I truly believe that those students that have a financial interest in their education, tend to look at it differently than those students that are paying for nothing. My dd will graduate with about $20,000 in debt...subsidized and unsubsidized loans for 4 years. We, her parents, will take care of the rest of it....total will be about $100,000, not including interest. Our house will be put on the market in 2-3 years...and a huge amount of the profit from it will go towards paying off her school.

Could she go to a less expensive school? Sure...but that school isn't going to give her the tangibles, and intangibles, that this college will give her. And that is my point of view, not her 18 y/o point of view. She made a very informed choice.
So, she will go there, and it will be expensive. It will involve sacrifices being made. But, that's what we figured would happen. Even though she is taking out student loans, with a co-signer, she won't be paying them back....her parents will. And those student loans will be her first step towards being credit worthy.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #94
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Well we are down to Fordham and Pace...and have 8 days to make a decision .....it's going to be a long 8 days.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #95
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinct View Post
I do want to add, though, that it worries me when I see families that say their children will have to take out loans to cover the cost of school. (Not you in particular; I am talking in generalities here). I think many families that have not been through the process fail to realize that for most schools, a student CANNOT borrow enough money. Federal loans are limited, and there are really no other loans that a student can get solely in his or her name.
my daughter received a letter explaining how much she'd need for her freshman year -- though they seem to have estimated high for everything; for example, they say she'll need $700 for books . . . Though her school rents textbooks, and that cost is included in the tuition. Anyway, they offered to lend her 150% the cost of her first year. Scary.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #96
StephMK
DIS Veteran

It feels so strange to be done now! DD has picked her school, roommate, and summer registration date. We just need to pay the second part of the housing deposit & accept her fin aid awards. Prom was last night, she had a great time and looked beautiful. Now we are down to a few weeks of school & events then graduation!

How is everyone doing on their kids' decision making & final events of HS?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #97
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Deposit sent in, need to work on PLUS loan paperwork and Stafford loan paperwork as well. Spent the day shopping. Got her a cruiser bike for campus, among other things. Orientation is in June. We are renting a van to haul a her things out there to California from Texas and put them in a storage unit. She's accepted a roommate request and she'll meet her in June. Hope it all goes OK.

She's anti-prom, which makes me sad, so none of that here. She's counting down the days...
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #98
Patience
DIS Veteran

Disregard.

Last edited by Patience; 04-23-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #99
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

My daughter got into her #1 choice and got a nice scholarship. She heard from that school 1st before hearing from any others. As packages came in from the other schools that she had applied to she threw them in the garbage without even opening them. She said she didn't need to know whether she was accepted or not as she had already made her decision! She has ended up at a small (smaller than her HS) private school but luckily the scholarship they gave her brings the cost down to about the same as a SUNY
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #100
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
We just visted Muhlenberg and it's my dd's first choice. She wants to Dual Major in Dance and either Psych or English. She REALLY wants to go there, but I'm afraid if she does ED the financial package won't be as good bc they obviously know she will go there if accepted. Did you speak to admissions before applying to see what the package could be? She flat out can't go there if there is no aid..we can't afford it otherwise. BTW, what does your dd want to study?
They do not penalize the ED kids. Merit and need based aid are handed out freely to the early decision candidates. If the package is not something you can afford after being accepted, there is generally an "out" of the agreement if they can not meet the financial need.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #101
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Have your kids found out or found their room mates yet? This is all very exciting, isn't it?
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #102
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Son got voted "the next Steve Jobs"
let's hope so!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #103
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
Hi Lovethatmouse! My dd visited Muhlenberg three times before applying ED. The last visit she "shadowed" for a day. I came right out and asked about Merit Aid and our Tuition Exchange Scholarship (I work in a private college). I was informed that if my dd applied ED, they would do an "Early Read" on her, so that is what we did. Her CommonApp and all essays had to be done by September (a deadline given to them by their college advisor) so she was all set. In October we sent all her paperwork in for an Early Read, within the week, we were told what they would give her as long as everything (grades, ECs, etc.) remained the same. She knew by the week before Thanksgiving that she was admitted ED. After/at your first visit, I would come right out and ask about aid, merit, etc. You do not know unless you ask.
We just came from Admitted Student Day last week and it was absolutely wonderful. Everyone is there to learn and succeed. Let us know what you decide during the year. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
It feels so strange to be done now! DD has picked her school, roommate, and summer registration date. We just need to pay the second part of the housing deposit & accept her fin aid awards. Prom was last night, she had a great time and looked beautiful. Now we are down to a few weeks of school & events then graduation!

How is everyone doing on their kids' decision making & final events of HS?
My dd's prom is AFTER graduation, which I absolutely love (so does she). With finals, AP tests and college courses it will be nice they don't have to think about prom during this crazy time. We just got a big packet in the mail yesterday giving us (oops, her LOL) information about Student Advising Day, which is beginning of June and a date of her graduation practice so she will miss that but think the school may give us some trouble with that. It was about 30 papers and I loved reading each one LOL Yes, I can't believe it is almost over but she was ED so we have known since before Thanksgiving but it's nice to know get more and more information. One other girl from my dd's HS is going to 'Berg so they know each other and are friendly so they are rooming together. They already have plans to go to BB&B shopping togther in the summer
Good luck to you and the remainde of the school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
Deposit sent in, need to work on PLUS loan paperwork and Stafford loan paperwork as well. Spent the day shopping. Got her a cruiser bike for campus, among other things. Orientation is in June. We are renting a van to haul a her things out there to California from Texas and put them in a storage unit. She's accepted a roommate request and she'll meet her in June. Hope it all goes OK.

She's anti-prom, which makes me sad, so none of that here. She's counting down the days...
Wow! Texas to CA but that is WONDERFUL! Congratuations!
We now know our full award and what the college will cost and therefore the difference. Therefore, I can begin the paperwork for the PLUS and Stafford, that's correct right? I guess it is not too early to begin starting this since I have a feeling I'll be very busy this summer with vacations, college prep for my dd and my ds will be entering HS. Good luck with the move and your dd and her roommate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
They do not penalize the ED kids. Merit and need based aid are handed out freely to the early decision candidates. If the package is not something you can afford after being accepted, there is generally an "out" of the agreement if they can not meet the financial need.
lovethemouse, GreenTea is correct. But, your dd should really not apply ED unless you really think there is a good possibility that you can afford it OR perhaps they would do an "early read" before you apply. Remember, some schools also offer EA (early action) where it is not binding (but as GreenTea said, ED is binding but if you cannot financially pay for it, you are not bound to accept). Go to collegeconfidential.com if you haven't already and begin reading what you can on there, it is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Son got voted "the next Steve Jobs"
let's hope so!
CONGRATULATIONS!! How wonderful!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #104
wilderness01
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurke View Post
Does anyone know of a good discussion board, similar to DIS, for college.
Since this is my first child going off to college, I would love to find a board where I could talk with other parents on what to expect, financial aid, handling her leaving, etc..

I found a couple, but they were all about bragging. I dont need to brag or want to hear all about everyone's perfect child with the perfect SAT score and all AP classes. Barf.
I don't know if it is bragging or not because I haven't seen what you are talking about. It is probably just proud parents talking about their kids' hard work.

I understand what you are saying if it is bragging because it has been the same as us parents that had "normal, not superstar" athletes for children that have had to endure years and years and years of hearing about or reading about little Johnny's superstar athletic talents.

I have a "friend" who has bragged about her kid for YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSS and his athletic ability. He was talented, but not so talented that he got scholarships for college, etc.

When anyone talks of their child's academic accomplishments she gets her nose bent out of shape. It makes me laugh because she is a hypocrite who has talked about her kids for years, but now considers anyone's academic value bragging. Whatever floats everyone's boat is fine with me, I just think it is funny that these parents who get all upset, not talking about you, are the same ones that have boasted about their own kids for years.

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
wilderness01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #105
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Hi Lovethatmouse! My dd visited Muhlenberg three times before applying ED. The last visit she "shadowed" for a day. I came right out and asked about Merit Aid and our Tuition Exchange Scholarship (I work in a private college). I was informed that if my dd applied ED, they would do an "Early Read" on her, so that is what we did. Her CommonApp and all essays had to be done by September (a deadline given to them by their college advisor) so she was all set. In October we sent all her paperwork in for an Early Read, within the week, we were told what they would give her as long as everything (grades, ECs, etc.) remained the same. She knew by the week before Thanksgiving that she was admitted ED. After/at your first visit, I would come right out and ask about aid, merit, etc. You do not know unless you ask.
We just came from Admitted Student Day last week and it was absolutely wonderful. Everyone is there to learn and succeed. Let us know what you decide during the year. Good luck!

My dd's prom is AFTER graduation, which I absolutely love (so does she). With finals, AP tests and college courses it will be nice they don't have to think about prom during this crazy time. We just got a big packet in the mail yesterday giving us (oops, her LOL) information about Student Advising Day, which is beginning of June and a date of her graduation practice so she will miss that but think the school may give us some trouble with that. It was about 30 papers and I loved reading each one LOL Yes, I can't believe it is almost over but she was ED so we have known since before Thanksgiving but it's nice to know get more and more information. One other girl from my dd's HS is going to 'Berg so they know each other and are friendly so they are rooming together. They already have plans to go to BB&B shopping togther in the summer
Good luck to you and the remainde of the school year.

Wow! Texas to CA but that is WONDERFUL! Congratuations!
We now know our full award and what the college will cost and therefore the difference. Therefore, I can begin the paperwork for the PLUS and Stafford, that's correct right? I guess it is not too early to begin starting this since I have a feeling I'll be very busy this summer with vacations, college prep for my dd and my ds will be entering HS. Good luck with the move and your dd and her roommate.

lovethemouse, GreenTea is correct. But, your dd should really not apply ED unless you really think there is a good possibility that you can afford it OR perhaps they would do an "early read" before you apply. Remember, some schools also offer EA (early action) where it is not binding (but as GreenTea said, ED is binding but if you cannot financially pay for it, you are not bound to accept). Go to collegeconfidential.com if you haven't already and begin reading what you can on there, it is very helpful.

CONGRATULATIONS!! How wonderful!
Thanks for the advice. We went to Hofstra College Fair last week and Nicole from Admissions was there. We stopped by and my dd couldn't stop telling her how much she loved the school and it is definitely her first choice. She did tell me about the early read, so we will make an appt for that in Sept, along with her interview and audition. Funny thing..at our last competition, she came in 2nd overall for her division..the boy who came in first is going to 'Berg next year! They were talking for a few minutes, and will probably do the facebook friend thing. He was not ED and got a huge package (his mom told me the amount) and that without that $$ he wouldn't be able to go. I hope my dd gets close to what he got so she can attend her first choice. Good luck to your dd and keep us up to date on her 'Berg experience

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: