Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #76
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
And that's been the problem with sites I've heard about. It's a big ole brag session. And my kids are way to normal...middle of the road. I don't want to hear about little Susie's issue with not getting into Harvard...just Yale and Princeton!!!
College Confidential has boards for most all colleges. Unless you're on the Harvard board no one will be talking about Harvard. I don't go to that board. I have regular ole kids
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #77
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I agree! I am happy that we are able to do this for our kids.

And I also agree to buy stuff once you get to where the college is located. Bed, Bath & Beyond is great.....starting in the early summer you can start placing your orders and put in a delivery date once you college starts accepting packages. We had stuff arriving in the campus post office from about the 10th of August. Also the Wal Mart site to store was helpful. We could take some time picking out what was needed then just pick it up once we arrived. The BBB is especially good if your kids want a special pattern bedspread or color of sheets (cough cough your girls because I have learned boys don't care a bit what their comforter looks like) You can choose when supplies are plentiful and not have to transport them.
Yes, that is GIRL WORLD! My son could care less.

Target is College Central around here. Our neighborhood Target is not far from Emory University and it is hysterical watching the little scared looking freshmen with thier overbearing grandparents and parents navigate their way thru the aisles!! I have to remind myself NOT to go there on those days.

It seemed like it was a million years in the future for me. Now it's AUGUST. I'm still pinching myself. I remember walking him into kindergarten about 2 months ago...

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #78
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I agree! I am happy that we are able to do this for our kids.

And I also agree to buy stuff once you get to where the college is located. Bed, Bath & Beyond is great.....starting in the early summer you can start placing your orders and put in a delivery date once you college starts accepting packages. We had stuff arriving in the campus post office from about the 10th of August. Also the Wal Mart site to store was helpful. We could take some time picking out what was needed then just pick it up once we arrived. The BBB is especially good if your kids want a special pattern bedspread or color of sheets (cough cough your girls because I have learned boys don't care a bit what their comforter looks like) You can choose when supplies are plentiful and not have to transport them.
What a great idea! That also guarantees that it would actually be in stock when you wanted to purchase it.

OK, here's my tip since this is our 2nd to fly the nest: If your student is living in the dorm and will be returning to the dorms, don't drag everything home and back again. Rent a storage locker by the month for the summer. DD's roommate was leaving her "local only" car in a storage locker and DD helped with the cost, which allowed her to leave the majority of her belongings there. It worked out beautifully.

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #79
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
With the cost of college nowadays, there are few families that can pay for 100% of their kids college education. It's nearly impossible to save that much money in today's economy....even the economy of 15 years ago, when some of us should have been saving something. But, like many others, we were just trying to keep our heads above water.
So, my child should get to go to a college that costs $45,000, and she only gets a small scholarship (since she didn't study as hard as she could have), and she doesn't have to pay towards it? Nope, I have to disagree. My dd will take out loans to pay for school. And then, as I said, as time goes by, we will take over a large part of those loans. But at this point in time, that just isn't possible. We will pay what we can now...and pay what we can later on, down the road. But even then, dd will have some debt. And I truly don't think that's a bad thing.
I understand that in your circumstance having your daughter assume some of the debt is reasonable. But, that is entirely different from what you stated earlier and what I was responding to, which was:

"My dh and I consider it our responsibility to help our dd with her college costs. Not 100% but some. I firmly believe that every college graduate should finish school with some debt!"

My point was, if parents can comfortably foot the entire bill, why did you feel that a student should still go into debt? That is what I thought you were indicating, and what I was questioning. So, if I pay my daughter's expenses she should still get a loan? I don't understand why anyone would advocate that. Going into debt if you don't have to seems wrong to me.
DVCLiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #80
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
For those that this is a first child headed to college...remember not to go out and buy anything until you hear from the college and roommates.

My sons college last year would only allow a specific frig and microwave sold by them. Also, roommates tend to split up the big items so one student isn't saddled with the expense of multiple big items.
Good advice! Thankfully we already know which dorm she will be in. They have a fridge/microwave. We will be looking at all of the whatnots that she will need.

Y'all should check out DearBeemo on You Tube. You won't believe what that kid can cram in a dorm room!
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #81
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Checking in! First and only child starts college in the Fall. Ugh. I'm going to miss her so much.

The good news is that she's going 10 minutes away and she got into the only school that she wanted to apply to (I insisted she apply to others and her selected college did as well).

It's SO not the choice I thought she would make - I assumed she'd go to a large school much further from home. But I'm so glad she didn't

She will be living on campus (dorm life is 50% of the college experience!!) but home will be close enough that she can drop in and see us (and, more importantly, our dogs!) as much as she wants.

And I REALLY worry about the dogs missing her. They will be devestated when she's not here every night.

And I will too....
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #82
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurke View Post
Does anyone know of a good discussion board, similar to DIS, for college.
Since this is my first child going off to college, I would love to find a board where I could talk with other parents on what to expect, financial aid, handling her leaving, etc..

I found a couple, but they were all about bragging. I dont need to brag or want to hear all about everyone's perfect child with the perfect SAT score and all AP classes. Barf.
I also suggest College Confidential Forums....I've used them for all 3 of my kid headed to college for various reasons and it's pretty good.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #83
LoveMyDogTheDoodle
Earning My Ears

Mount St Mary's

Hi,

My daughter's second choice was Mt. St. Mary's; a terrific school about an hour or so from home. It is small, so there is a lot of individual attention for the student. The students seem really happy there and it's located close enough to D.C. and Baltimore and just down the road from Gettysburg (a fun and historic college town).

My daughter's first choice was Washington College (Eastern shore of MD). I made it perfectly clear that she would go to the college that gave her the best financial aid package, and there was always the possibility of community college if it just wasn't finacially feasible to attend a four year university.

As it turned out, both colleges were very generous, with Washington just edging out Mt. St. Mary's. There is no way that I would support my child's decision to go to a college where I was expected to co-sign for a large percentage of the cost; also I would never support my child's decision to attend a university and then graduate with enormous debt.

I see that you are in Florida, has he considered any colleges there?

Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvazul View Post
Our son applied and was accepted to two schools. Purdue (Indiana) was his top choice with Mount St. Mary's (Maryland) as his "back up". Mount St. Mary's offered him the Presidential Scholarship at $64,000 - just over half the total cost. Purdue offered him nothing. He has chosen Purdue.

Our son has known since he was 6 that he would need to be 100% responsible for his college education. I am not sure how he will pay for it. I really tried to talk him into MSM, but his heart is set on Purdue. So, he will need to get loans. Not exactly sure how that is going to work.

Michelle
LoveMyDogTheDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #84
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
I also suggest College Confidential Forums....I've used them for all 3 of my kid headed to college for various reasons and it's pretty good.
GREAT site for Admissions Letter Watch, 2012.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #85
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyDogTheDoodle View Post
Hi,

My daughter's second choice was Mt. St. Mary's; a terrific school about an hour or so from home. It is small, so there is a lot of individual attention for the student. The students seem really happy there and it's located close enough to D.C. and Baltimore and just down the road from Gettysburg (a fun and historic college town).

My daughter's first choice was Washington College (Eastern shore of MD). I made it perfectly clear that she would go to the college that gave her the best financial aid package, and there was always the possibility of community college if it just wasn't finacially feasible to attend a four year university.

As it turned out, both colleges were very generous, with Washington just edging out Mt. St. Mary's. There is no way that I would support my child's decision to go to a college where I was expected to co-sign for a large percentage of the cost; also I would never support my child's decision to attend a university and then graduate with enormous debt.

I see that you are in Florida, has he considered any colleges there?

Good luck to you!
I have heard a lot of good things about Mount St. Mary's. I grew up in Pennsylvania and we have been to Gettysburg quite a few times. I also used to live in Maryland, so I know the area. We just moved to Florida in December. He is not interested in any of the schools here. Since we just moved in December, he is not eligible for any aid from Florida. I tried to talk him into a Pennsylvania state school (and have him stay with family until graduation), but he wanted nothing to do with it. It's his choice.

His first choice was Bucknell. $52,000 a year. That went to the wayside when he learned about Purdue. Purdue used to be one of the more affordable Big 10 schools. Not anymore.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #86
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

It's been really interesting to see the other side of this process as well - my oldest is an Admission Counselor and she has spent the week talking with parents, explaining the appeals process, etc. There are so many talented students and they want to make it possible for all of them to attend, but there are only so many dollars. It's hard on the other side of the fence, too - seeing a kid they know would be a great fit for their school have to turn it down because the money is just not there.
DVCLiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #87
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Hi all! So glad I found this thread! Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Congratulations to all that have received their acceptances and know where they are going. Hugs to those still trying to figure it out.

Sorry, I hope you don't mind, I don't like to brag at home but I hope you don't mind my doing here:
My dd applied ED to Muhlenberg and got her acceptance, along with the Tuition Exchange Scholarship and half dorms for a total of $36,500 per year She's worked VERY hard and we are very proud of her, although the full COA is more about $51K but a loan and us helping her out will be what works for her/us.

We knew before Thanksgiving of her acceptance and her financials so we haven't had to have the stress that some of you have had along with the poor stress some of her friends are having.

Good luck to us all!!!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #88
kacaju
DIS Veteran

dd is going to Ramapo College in NJ. In fact she is heading up there today for the placement testing.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #89
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, my child should get to go to a college that costs $45,000, and she only gets a small scholarship (since she didn't study as hard as she could have), and she doesn't have to pay towards it? Nope, I have to disagree. My dd will take out loans to pay for school.
Speaking only for myself, in that situation I'd try to steer the child towards a less expensive college; thus, avoiding the loans. Yes, at the moment college is WHAT SHE WANTS, and that's as far down the road as she -- at almost 18 years old -- can see. She's also going to want other things in the future: A new car, an apartment, a wedding, a house, children, travel. She's going to want those things just as much as she wants college today, and I don't want debt to make her wait for those things.

We were fortunate that this wasn't an issue for us. Before we started looking at colleges, we discussed what we are willing to pay, and we discussed the benefits of finishing debt-free. My child to the bone, she was repelled by the idea that any portion of her as-yet-unearned paychecks would already belong to someone else. She also understands fully that, as a nursing major, what really matters is that she earn pass the test to earn a state license -- the name on her diploma isn't nearly as important. We visited a wide variety of colleges, and in the end the one she love-love-loved was quite affordable. It worked out well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinct View Post
I wonder---do some states require non-custodial parents to contribute to college?
I'm not divorced myself, but I think it has to do with what's written into the divorce paperwork. I think pretty much everyone agrees on child support, insurance, and so forth . . . but some people write in their expectations on college costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Target is College Central around here. Our neighborhood Target is not far from Emory University and it is hysterical watching the little scared looking freshmen with thier overbearing grandparents and parents navigate their way thru the aisles!! I have to remind myself NOT to go there on those days.
I'm amazed at what students "need" to fill a dorm room these days. I had a new set of sheets and my grandmother gave me a small fridge as a graduation gift . . . but I brought a blanket, lamp and other items from home. Likewise, I brought towels, laundry baskets, etc. that we already had around the house. Of course, we didn't have two dimes to rub together, so that influenced our decision -- certainly some new things would've been nice . . . but it seems that outfitting a dorm room has become a whole industry. I think you can spend as much or as little as you're able, and you can still live pretty comfortably in a dorm.

Last edited by MrsPete; 04-05-2012 at 08:05 AM.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #90
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

Saw this article and thought to share, due to the concerns of many over high debts that can be incurred from university education. Not encouraging to see so many youth deep in debt early in life.

"Student Debt's Red Herring"

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...t-red-herring/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: