Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #466
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
DD LOVES college!! She is on the dance team and they are headed to Nationals next week in FL.. how exciting!! She is doing well and never comes home (she is an hour away) I am so happy for her!! I can't believe 1 year is almost gone...wow 3 more years..this will fly by~~
Her dance team WON their Division National Title AGAIN!! 2 years in a row!!
and she got *rookie of the year* from her coaches!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #467
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It's been a great first year!! Dd has stuck with her theatre major, has decided on English Lit for her minor. She has been onstage more than she thought she would as a freshman..is really looking forward to doing Avenue Q next weekend!!!
Her classes have been fine....not doing as well in some as I would like though. She isn't a 'math person' and is struggling in that class. But there are tutors available (free!!!) and she has yet to avail herself of that service..which makes her a big dopey head in my opinion!
She has housing all set for next year...she has a good friend that she is rooming with. Met her in their dorm this year, so that's a good thing.
She is a bit concerned about the fact that all her friends will be in London for the first semester..it's a junior thing for theatre and English lit majors!!! So, she'll be left behind! Hopefully grades will soar and she'll find lots more time to actually do her work study!!!

But all in all? It's been a wonderful year. She is amazed at how much she loves it there and how comfortable she is, and how fast that happened!!! Perfect match for her!!
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #468
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Ds has loved his first year and his school. Involved in student government and is making connections. His grades are above a 3.25 but says college is harder than his high school was. Has chosen and changed his major a couple of times. Has lived in the library. Is home this weekend prepping for his summer job at waterpark. Will be home for the summer in month. All in all a good first year.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #469
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

It's been a great year all in all. Academics were a killer at Fordham but DS has held is own with a high B average. He is ending the year as one of three freshman cast in the Colleges mainstage play. I can't wait to go see it next weekend on closing night.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #470
kacaju
DIS Veteran

DD got a summer job!!! (thank goodness!!) she will be a camp counselor at our local Y and she will also be doing a dance camp for them!!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #471
kacaju
DIS Veteran

So when does your ds/dd finish school? I cannot believe the first year of college is almost over!!
DD has to be out of her dorm May 14th! That is less then a month!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #472
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD starts exams next week and has to be out May 8.

She still hasn't heard about the one job. She had 2 interviews with them. She called them back after the time passed they said they would let her know and they hadn't made a decision yet. If she doesn't get this job she's coming home for the summer. She still has her job from HS (worked over Christmas break and never officially quit) and may babysit. Either way she'll be working but is stressed.

Any extra pixie dust would be appreciated!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #473
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
DD starts exams next week and has to be out May 8.

She still hasn't heard about the one job. She had 2 interviews with them. She called them back after the time passed they said they would let her know and they hadn't made a decision yet. If she doesn't get this job she's coming home for the summer. She still has her job from HS (worked over Christmas break and never officially quit) and may babysit. Either way she'll be working but is stressed.

Any extra pixie dust would be appreciated!
Good luck to her! I know it's so hard to wait for an answer!

Her grades are good and she has settled on biology with a potential to go into an accelerated nursing program after graduation. Exams are next week.

DD has to be out of her dorm May 3! I am driving down that morning to pick up her stuff & take her out to lunch. Then she works her final shift at the library that afternoon. That weekend she is staying in the sorority house for rush orientation for the fall then heading 18 hrs away w/a bunch of friends for a week at the beach.

I'm a little nervous about her going so far but she's going w/good buddies & future roomies so I'm sure they'll have a blast.

She has filled out an app as a server for a retirement home where her friend already works. She wants a job in a healthcare environment of some sort and the schedule is usually flexible. We go on vacation in July then she visits her dad so her schedule is tough for a job but we're not ready for her to quit going yet.

Looking forward to having her home! I cannot believe they are almost done with freshman year. If possible, this year has flown by even faster than the HS years.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #474
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

DD#2 was down the street from the explosions in Boston, so the next two weeks are going to feel much too long. I want her home now! She has an exam on a Saturday night so she'll be picked up Sunday morning.

She has been offered an internship in the chemistry department for the summer, but it's only a few days a week, so I get to have her home 3-4 days each week She's the only freshman in this program, ought to be interesting!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #475
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Yay! Today we received our financial worksheet for 2013-2014!! Woohoo! How exciting...not. (When I glance over it, it looks like they owe US $, lol. I'd better put on my glasses! haha

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #476
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

May 17th is her last final and we pick her up on the 18th. She comes home to work at the local ice cream place than we leave 8/9 to head to Disney. She will be doing the DCP quick service dining. We can't wait!
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #477
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Mike had an EXCELLENT year, what a difference from high school!! He struggled in HS but he found another side of himself in college and I'm so glad he did.

I can't believe it's almost over, it was about a minute ago when we went to the orientation!

My great niece, who started when he did, did not come back for second semester. She decided to join the Navy and I'm so proud of her. She was in ROTC in high school and has the temperament for the military. She goes to Chicago in two weeks.

Mike's sponsorship suggests he NOT WORK (I swear, I don't understand this) so he has an online job to make money. He'll also volunteer at the local theater.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #478
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Mine is home! He also was down the road from the bombings. He actually had 2 finals canceled. They may have to take it online during the summer. At this point I was happy to just get him home. That was one long week.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #479
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

My freshman comes home May 15 and I can't wait! She has been super busy and very tight lipped about the goings on at school. I wish that she was more communicative. She says that she is just busy. I know she's not homesick!

She gets home not a moment too soon. We will be putting our house on the market and moving in with my recently widowed mother. We calculate the the proceeds should pay for one year of school for her. Not bad for just seven years in one place. I've got a lot for her to do...

No luck on the job front here. That is disheartening. She is even bilingual but...nobody wants to hire someone for two months... She does have an interview lined up but it is hard to look for employment when you are halfway across the country. Maybe something will pan out.

She was invited to join a service fraternity and wondered if she should bother. I emphatically told her, "YES!"

I have really missed her and can't wait for her to be home.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #480
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
Her dance team WON their Division National Title AGAIN!! 2 years in a row!!
and she got *rookie of the year* from her coaches!!
Congrats!!! I don't know how I missed that in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Mike had an EXCELLENT year, what a difference from high school!! He struggled in HS but he found another side of himself in college and I'm so glad he did.

I can't believe it's almost over, it was about a minute ago when we went to the orientation!
It did go fast & ITA about college changes. DD has always been shy but her sorority has really been good for her. She is getting more comfortable speaking up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Mine is home! He also was down the road from the bombings. He actually had 2 finals canceled. They may have to take it online during the summer. At this point I was happy to just get him home. That was one long week.
Did he have to make them up? Glad he was safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
My freshman comes home May 15 and I can't wait! She has been super busy and very tight lipped about the goings on at school. I wish that she was more communicative. She says that she is just busy. I know she's not homesick!

I have really missed her and can't wait for her to be home.
DD doesn't say much either. I have to stalk her FB for pics her friends post to get even a few pics of what she's been up to.

Bringing this back up to see how the summer went for everyone. The transition back home after freshman year was not as hard as I feared. DD got a job at Subway and enjoyed the summer. I loved having her home and she was actually a *little* sad about leaving to go back.

I have not heard much from her and she can't talk much when I have tried to call her. She seems happy though and excited about her "littles" and likes her classes. I miss her.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: