Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #421
Patience
DIS Veteran

So the other thread that is turning into a debate about whether parents should pay for their child's college education reminded me of this thread. How did your children's first semesters turn out (whether you paid for them or not- lol)?

My daughter did extremely well. She ended up with four A's and one B+ for a total GPA of 3.86 which is high enough for her to make both the dean's list and the chancellor's list. I knew she could do it but I was a little concerned that cheer would take up too much of her time. I obviously didn't need to worry. I hope her second semester is just as good!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #422
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

DS finished with a 3.6. Enough to keep his scholarship--whew! Not bad for a kid in his first semester at college away from home and adjusting to college life.

He immersed himself in many activities (and got a new girlfriend) and now says he realizes what he needs to do to get As in everything. His hs senior year was pretty easy for him so he's had to relearn how to study and stay focused. Fingers crossed.

He's home now until Jan 7th .
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #423
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Oh man...that's sad. We had to let our 12 y/o golden in July....then dd went off to camp, she came home for 10 days and then moved to college. Right after Labor Day, dh's mother passed away. Then, over Columbus Day weekend, my dad passed away. So poor dd has had her share of sadness in the past few months. I'm sure she'll remember her first college semester as the 'semester of death'!!! Poor kid.

Hope all goes well for you today!!!!
I'm sorry for all of your losses, what a difficult fall for all of you.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #424
kacaju
DIS Veteran

DD has her last exam today at 1-4 dorm closes at 6. I will leave here at 3 to be there once her test is over to bring her home!
DD is loving college, she had two panic attacks...over tests, but she pulled through and I am so proud of her. Do not konw her grades yet. Have the money in the account ready to pay that 2nd term bill...then only 3 more years!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #425
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Good to hear that so many of our college kids are off to a good start! My daugther's had a great first semester with many high points and only a few negatives.

- No tears on my part, but she had some trouble with the initial parting. We'd helped her move in, had gone out to lunch and to the grocery store . . . and when we came back to the dorm to drop her off, she bawled and refused to get out of the car. Upon returning home for visits, she cried briefly the first two times we returned her to school, and then that stopped. She LOVES school, but she doesn't like the moment when we part. I fully expect her to cry again when she moves out of the dorm in the spring.

- She was initially disappointed with her dorm assignment but ended up loving it. She's on a "wild floor", but she and her roommate are both very good at knowing when to join in and when to hit the library. It's a traditional dorm, and she says she's loved how easy it is to make friends and how convenient it is to . . . everything.

- She LOVES that she chose a football-loving school with a reputation for outrageous school spirit, and I think she's sad that spring semester doesn't offer any football games.

- They had wonderful "welcome to campus" activities for the freshmen. She was assigned to a small group headed by an older student mentor, who took them to various activities and helped them through first-time tasks (such as getting their books, going to the cafeteria for the first time). She has a great RA, who has helped her a couple times when she needed some guidance on how to manage campus life. In those first days, we talked almost every day, and she was constantly telling me, "They did _____ for the freshman to help us learn our way." She's planning to apply to be one of the helpers next year when she's a sophomore.

- Living with a girl she knew in high school, but NOT a best friend from high school has turned out to be a great choice. No bad surprises, no nervousness about whether they'd get along . . . but they also haven't tried to live in one another's back pockets.

- We LOVE that she goes to a school that includes textbook rental in the tuition. No surprises. She was OUTRAGED that she was required to buy a set of protective goggles for her Chem lab. She also things it's awful to have to put money into the washing machine. She's very stingy with her own money.

- Sometimes I talk or text with her 4-5 times in a day; other times we go 4-5 days without communication. I still feel very close to her, which is what I'd wanted. I know that when I need to talk to her, I can get ahold of her in a hurry, and that matters to me.

- I've dropped a little card (often with a pack of gum or a $5 movie gift card or Chickfillet gift card) in the mail every week, and she tells me how much she appreciates those.

- Twice I've bought her something from Amazon.com and had it mailed directly to her dorm room. Works GREAT and gets an item to her faster than I could buy it and mail it myself. I have her dorm address saved in Amazon, and I can just click it when I want to make a purchase. I hadn't anticipated how nice that would be.

- One thing I didn't anticipate: About two weeks into the semester she developed a sinus infection. (SO MANY of her friends came down with strep throat or something else in those first weeks!) And although I'd talked to her about using the health center, even walked by it on one of our campus visits . . . she was hesitant to go. She called me, saying that she wasn't sure she was sick enough "to bother them". When I reminded her that we were paying for that service, she agreed to go immediately -- and she said they took great care of her (without charge) and got her on some antibiotics (for only $5). She acknowledged later that she'd just been nervous about making the decision of whether to go. At home she'd driven herself to the doctor, paid with my credit card, gone to the pharmacy to fill her own prescription -- BUT it'd always been at my direction. I'd said, "Oh, I think this is bad enough to warrant a doctor visit." She became sick again towards the end of exam week, and -- sure enough -- she didn't hesitate: She went straight to the health center. She learned her lesson.

- She ended up coming home about once a month, just as we had anticipated. It "felt right" to all parties involved. Her roommate came home much more often, and at first my girl felt herself a bit at loose ends with no roommate . . . but then, though she loves her roommate, she learned to enjoy having the room to herself.

- She ended the semester with a 3.95 GPA (B+ in Chem lab kept her from a perfect 4.0), though she really worked for it. I'm very proud of her. Her roommate also did very well (Chancellor's list!), and I'm glad that she's sharing a room with someone studious.

- Overall, she loved school. She's learned her way around now. She knows how to use the various campus services, which food places she likes best, and how to take care of herself in a campus environment. She says that the work was a big step up from high school, but she was up for the challenge. Again, I'm very proud of her.

Last edited by MrsPete; 12-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #426
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

All I can say is WOW College is so different than high school (of course I already knew that, but it has been a learning experience).

I have twin DDs. One did very well. She did decide to change her major and is going to be a pre-nursing major next semester (she was in fashion merchandising but decided she wanted to do something that helped people).

My other DD didn't do well, but she has a learning disability, and she is part of the students with disabilities program at her college, but there isn't as much support as there is at high school. So she had a difficult semester. We are trying AHDH medicine over break to see if that helps her next semester (she was tested when she was younger as having ADD and we tried meds before but I didn't like the idea and her school was great at working with her....but at college, no one cares if you miss a piece of information....her whole semester was a disaster, not because it was too hard, but because she was lost trying to figure out information on how to submit assignments online to the right place, or how to sign up to take tests at various locations outside of the classroom time, or if things were changed by the instructor but she missed that piece of information....a lot of confusion). Anyway, I set up her classes for next semester. Last semester was set up at Freshman Orientation by an adivsor. I sent in a list of classes for her to take when she met with him, but he changed them and I didn't question it since I figured he knew what he was doing, but he put her in an upper level class that had to be dropped half way through the semester (she as the only Freshman in the class...I have no idea why they put her in that) and he put her with a math prof who had very bad reviews (she didn't pass the class).....so I have researched her classes and looked at her profs reviews, talked to the disabilities office and we may be getting her notetakers in a couple classes next semester....and basically we are letting her give it another try and hoping for better results.

So bottom line. One DD it went well....the other DD with a disability, not so good, but we are hopeful thing get better.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #427
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
- I've dropped a little card (often with a pack of gum or a $5 movie gift card or Chickfillet gift card) in the mail every week, and she tells me how much she appreciates those.
That is a great idea! My DDs lived at home, but if they move out at some point during college, I think I would like to do this too. I bet it really brightened her day
Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #428
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Overall - DD has loved school. Started off with a rocky roommate situation, but that "solved" itself in mid-October, when police needed to be called (due to roomie being drunk and drugged) and then a friend of the roomie threatened my DD. Things weren't going well before this, but being threatened allowed DD to play the "safety" card and move to a single. Yes it cost more, but DD also managed a 4.0 this semester, something that wouldn't have happened if she had still been sharing a room with a wild partying room.

DD has ended up with a boyfriend. They didn't actually meet until move-in day, however, they've been correseponding through facebook and really met on the university's facebook app for accepted freshman. They decided they were a couple on the 3rd day after moving in, which wasn't a surprise to me at all.

DD also joined a sorority. I wasn't too keen on that at first, but I have warmed up to the idea.

It is good to have her home. She was done with exams by 12/10, so we were actually able to sneak in a quick family trip to NYC. We had a blast! For semester break - she doesn't go back until Jan 21.

Not sure exactly what DD has planned for the rest of her break...I think she is starting to get bored already.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!

Last edited by clh2; 12-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #429
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I feel really lucky - our son had a fabulous first semester. He liked all of his classes except one and did well. He's being challenged academically by both his professors and peers, which is exactly what I had hoped for him. He can't imagine being at any other school. He's made a tight group of friends and got involved in a campus organization immediately. He knew his roommate slightly and they've meshed well and become good friends.

He's tired of the food - says anything I will make during the holidays sounds "wonderful" to him.

He doesn't look like our little boy (I don't believe he's shaved since he left, and it turns out he can grow a beard), but he seems happy to be home and to enjoy being around us.

DS has been home twice, fall break and Thanksgiving. If we want to see him other than spring break, we'll have to visit him! We have tickets to three basketball games, so that is going to happen!
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #430
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

After a difficult semester for everyone, DD is home for the holidays

It was a BIG, HUGE, GINORMOUS adjustment for all of us. At first, she pretty much cut us off and we never heard from her and she never wanted to come home. Then, as she got to know people, she had a lot to deal with (she's been to the ER 4 times with 3 different friends who suffered alcohol poisoning and has had to deal with two suicide threats). She grew up really fast.

I'm glad to say that she's stronger for all of it and her grades were pretty darn good. She's enjoying her time at home and said we'll probably hear a lot more from her next semester because she's "got this" now. The demands of demanding school schedule, work and a very active social life were a bit too much at first, but she's doing just fine now.

She has just found out that 6 of her friends aren't coming back next semester and she's really surprised. I guess they got home and just decided that they didn't want to go back. She had several that went home during the first semester. She's really sad about maybe not seeing them ever again (they are from all over the country).

She's been home for a week and we have 2 more before she has to go back. Ugh. It's going to be hard to have to say good bye again. But next time she comes home (in June), it's for 3 whole months!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #431
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
After a difficult semester for everyone, DD is home for the holidays

It was a BIG, HUGE, GINORMOUS adjustment for all of us. At first, she pretty much cut us off and we never heard from her and she never wanted to come home. Then, as she got to know people, she had a lot to deal with (she's been to the ER 4 times with 3 different friends who suffered alcohol poisoning and has had to deal with two suicide threats). She grew up really fast.
Oh my! Is she OK? That is a lot for someone her age to go through in such a short time. I am sure this is a much needed break. I hope next semester goes better for her.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #432
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
Overall - DD has loved school. Started off with a rocky roommate situation, but that "solved" itself in mid-October, when police needed to be called (due to roomie being drunk and drugged) and then a friend of the roomie threatened my DD. Things weren't going well before this, but being threatened allowed DD to play the "safety" card and move to a single. Yes it cost more, but DD also managed a 4.0 this semester, something that wouldn't have happened if she had still been sharing a room with a wild partying room.
I'm so glad she was able to move into a new room. I bet next semester goes a lot better. I had a friend who went through something like this in college and after she moved to a new room everything was alright (and that is when we became friends).
Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #433
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
Oh my! Is she OK? That is a lot for someone her age to go through in such a short time. I am sure this is a much needed break. I hope next semester goes better for her.
She's doing great now She really struggled with all of this at first, but it helped her to learn about crossing certain lines and taking things too far. I think she was propelled into adulthood a little too fast, but I really can see that her experiences have helped make her stronger and given her confidence in herself. She's had to handle some tough situations, but she handled them well. I'm pretty proud of her.

I've missed her so much but having her home for Christmas after being away so long is making this about the best Christmas ever.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #434
westjones

Quote:
She's doing great now She really struggled with all of this at first, but it helped her to learn about crossing certain lines and taking things too far. I think she was propelled into adulthood a little too fast, but I really can see that her experiences have helped make her stronger and given her confidence in herself. She's had to handle some tough situations, but she handled them well. I'm pretty proud of her.

I've missed her so much but having her home for Christmas after being away so long is making this about the best Christmas ever.
Well that is good. I am glad that some positive things came from all of that. I hope the rest of her freshman year is a little less stressful. And I hope she enjoys her Christmas break!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #435
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's great that she has developed confidence! Those are serious situations to have to endure so early on in the college years.

DD had great semester overall. Most of her grades were A's though she did end up with a surprising C+ in her former major class. She has since switched her major to Biology with the plan to become a Physician's Asst. She gets along with roomies though she is looking forward to living in the sorority dorm next year. She is tired of the food and learning to budget her money. Her plan is to hopefully get a job at Bath & Body Works this summer.

She absolutely loves her school and says she can't imagine being anywhere else. I couldn't have hoped for more and while I have really missed her, it is a relief to know she's happy and doing well on her own. She has been home a week and is rarely home! She's been enjoying spending time w/her HS buddies and has also met up with some friends she made at college who are local.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: