Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #376
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I will say I do not think I have ever been this heartbroken in my life. When my oldest left I still had other children at home. When the last one goes.....Well, I am not handling this well at all. I was so excited with college visits, the acceptance letters, even packing and gathering the needed items. Somehow in all the fun, and prodding to get the applications done, I sort of forgot that I'd be left alone. My "job" for over 20 years suddenly ends. I am trying to keep busy to keep from crying. My days for all these years have revolved around children. Now, I find the day is really, really long.
Aw, this made me cry! Are there any hobbies you haven't been able to do as much? I do think it's ok to mourn, it is a big transition. Maybe find some things to look forward to? I hope it gets easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post

I just asked ds if I could go on his date tonight( he leaves wed) he laughed it off thankfully. But I'm not taking this so well. I'm trying to suck it up and I won't cry moving day because I don't want him to worry about me I want him to have fun. I know he is ready, but I'm not.
Glad moving day went smoothly. DD ditched me for her roomies too but I think that made the goodbye easier. At least he is happy, it would be harder if they were unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I am right there with you. We are on week 3 and I feel worse every day. I know at some point it will get easier, but not so far. Ugh. I want to rewind the clock so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
DS is home!!!!
I might actually be ready for him to leave this time!
Enjoy your visit! DD came home last weekend & immediately headed out w/friends. I was ready for her to stay at school after this past weekend. Good to see her but I didn't expect to have her home so fast! Stay safe in the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
My son auditioned for his first college production last night and got callbacks for four roles including the leads. He (and his parents) are on pins and needles waiting to see what role, if any, he gets. He is excited and sounds good. I'm so pleased that he went right out and got involved in what he loves at his university.
Good luck & keep us posted - how exciting!!

DD seems to be having a blast. Her sorority has all kinds of social things during the week and she loves to be busy so it's perfect for her. She is looking forward to her first tailgate party this weekend and picked up an extra shift at work.

I ran into the mom of one of DD's BFFs. She gave me that greeting like you give when someone's died. Patted me on the arm & did the "oh, how are you holding up?" with a concerned look. She knew I was pretty emotional last year. I'm doing fine and pretty used to her being gone except for those times when it's hits me every now & then. As long as DD is happy, it's fine & I"m happy for her.

How are everyone else's kids settling in?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #377
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD texted me this morning and asked if we could go shopping for rain boots and a rain jacket this weekend. They have had rain for the past 4 days on the coast and a lot of flooding. Her HS was all inside so no going from building to building to different classes. If I had suggested boots and a jacket before school she would have given me one of these . We are heading down there tomorrow for the weekend so it looks like we'll be spending Friday evening shopping.

She's really enjoying the whole college experience. She called me earlier in the week to tell me Edwin McCain is coming to their campus in Oct to give a concert. She is a big fan of his and sooo excited.
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #378
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
I feel like a weird parent. I'm getting ready to bring my 3rd child to college and I have never shed a tear (and mind you I cry at TV commercials daily). I've always looked at as I'm dropping them into the next part of their lives that they are excited and happy to get to....

I've always been more excited for them to start the next part of their lives rather then sad that they are moving out of mine. Is there anybody else that doesn't cry or feel really sad?
That's exactly how I feel about it. I'm happy to see them move on and mature into being responsible adults.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #379
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

ok heard from him- quick "Went out with all the roommates last night having a great time- getting ready for orientation right now talk to you later loving it!"

What more could I ask for? Let's see how fun it is though once classes start!
java is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #380
smschex
Mouseketeer

Our DS seems to be settling in well. He is our second to go to college and was very ready. He spent several summers at debate camps on college campuses so I know he knows how to take care of himself and that is reassuring.

I would love to hear from him a little more though. He sent me a text asking a question so I seized the opportunity and asked him several questions about how things were going. In typical fashion the only response I got back was "yes, no, he's fine, don't know." I guess I have to take what I can get!

As someone else said when things are going well we don't hear from them much. When there is a problem is when they call. We learned that from DD.
I know he is busy with classes and debate so he is happy.

The strangest part is how different this new normal feels. We still have 2 DDs at home so have gone from a family of 6 four years ago to just 4 of us. Even though with debate travel he was rarely home his senior year, it still seems odd to know he won't be home in a day or two.

I am enjoying his room staying clean. For the first time in years I can walk by the door without cringing!

smschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #381
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My son auditioned for his first college production last night and got callbacks for four roles including the leads. He (and his parents) are on pins and needles waiting to see what role, if any, he gets. He is excited and sounds good. I'm so pleased that he went right out and got involved in what he loves at his university.
Congrats to your son!

My son auditioned for Jazz band and Wind Ensemble/Symphony Orchestra last week. He found out Tuesday he got into Symphony Orchestra (and we need to buy him a TUXEDO - we bought him a black suit, figuring he'd get into Wind Ens, where you can wear either - oops!). He just found out that he got into Jazz today and we're so happy for him!

DS is settling in well. He started classes on Monday and seems to like his classes. Says the homework load is pretty heavy, but he is used to that from high school. I guess he's been eating breakfast and lunch alone - none of his floormates are early risers and he eats lunch about 2:00, when he's done with classes (he has three classes in a row with no lunch break), but he's been going to dinner with floormates.

I've gotten a lot of texts that start "where is the...." and have been able to answer every one successfully, except the one asking "where is the planner". So he bought a new one. Otherwise, he's texted to let us know about getting into music, etc.

I'm proud to say I have not cried since leaving WA 2 days after move-in and I'm looking forward to Sunday, when we will Skype again.

Last edited by wowsmom; 08-30-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add more info
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #382
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

My son did get a role, and he is so excited. He didn't get the lead, but he's his understudy. He does have a solo, though. This will be such a good way for him to make friends who love what he loves.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #383
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congratulations!

My son is so excited because his theatre teacher offered the kids a chance to play ghouls in the neighborhood theater on the weekends. They actually will be paid to scare and tour people!

My niece is going home for the weekend, she misses her dogs! We're having a bbq this weekend and my son is looking forward to that. No, we don't have a chance to miss those two, they're very close to my home!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #384
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

DS is sick Strep and sinus infection. I'm so thankful I packed him a box labeled "things you laugh at me for buying but will thankful you have when you get sick". I am worried because he had mono in January and I really hope he doesn't relapse.

We had planned on taking all the siblings down on Sunday to see his room, take him his razor charger cord (whoops) and some more cold meds, food etc but we are set to get the remains of Isaac and they are calling for lots of rain, wind and tornadoes. If the weather holds, we might go Monday instead. I don't want to go if we can't walk the kids around campus.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #385
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

My son got stuck in his dorm elevator for 45mins by himself yesterday. He was cleaver enough to post a few instagram pictures of himself in the elevator for posterity.

So, it's been an interesting beginning....

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #386
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Well, it took a week, but dd actually called today!!! There were a few very brief texts but not much was shared. So, I had to love it when dd posted photos on FB of earlier this week....Monday night I believe, maybe Tuesday. There is the fire truck, right behind her. Seems someone burnt popcorn in her dorm, the fire dept evacuated the dorm, at 11:30pm no less. And some student had an anxiety attack and had to be removed on a stretcher!!! He's home in the dorm and just fine now. And, it seems the police were searching the waters of Mt Hope Bay, beneath the bridge....rumor hath it that there was a jumper...something that evidently happens at least once a month!!! And the bridge is right there, not far from dd's dorm. It's actually at the base of the campus!! Very pretty to look at at night.
Man....crazy week. Then, she went to a theatre get together last night..had auditions and such for the first two productions. She got to talking to one professor who asked her why the heck dd wasn't in her Musical Theatre workshop!!! So, dd added it today. I guess it's okay since it meets on otherwise not so busy days, but man!!!
At least dd is loving college so far. She likes all her classes. And they have a ton of fun stuff to do over the weekend, right on campus.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #387
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

DD's on her way to their first football game down in AL. So, I worry about them traveling...what else would I do? She's actually done this before (because she's been helping them since she was little) but this is the first official college football game for her to work (AT). Dad's buddy wanted to go down to the game but DH said no, he wanted her to be there w/o him and enjoy it all. Smart move Dad!

Of course, had it been LaGrange GA, I'd have been there! They have a great BBQ place there.

Sounds like everyone's had an interesting week! DD's classes have gone well.

As the wife of a FF, there are many calls out to the campus...*sigh* but usually all for small things like that, thank the Lord!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #388
java
I'm the mean wife

Dropped off my son on Wed. and got my first phone call today. I have been getting texts with quick updates but it was so good to hear his voice.

He's made a bunch of friends already- not his roommates though Some other group of kids he met at orientation yesterday. He's loving Boston. And it sounds like a friend of his at Syracuse is miserable and working on transferring to one of the 2 schools right next to DS. He actually ate lunch at the one she really wants to get into today. They are close buddies and that would be nice but I hope she tries to stick it out at least for a semester before deciding to transfer.

I got a list of requests to send so I have to get a box out tomorrow of boring forgotten things. But boy did I love that phone call.

Oh and the big news is that he met an upper classman professor and is already working on a job with him. He's creating some video editing interface for a new operating system platform- (whatever the heck that means)

All good stuff. I am not a sad knowing how happy he is!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #389
java
I'm the mean wife

oops double- I was so excited I guess
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #390
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Dropped DD off yesterday. We got her room set up. She is in a suite with 3 bedrooms..2 girls to a room. they have a bathroom and a sitting room.
kacaju is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: